• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III leaked info and screenshots [RUMOR - Better Details Write-Up]

jfoul

I'm totally ready for this.

Praise the sun!
Code:
[url=http://imgur.com/mbAXCLU][img]http://i.imgur.com/mbAXCLU.jpg[/img][/url]

prudislav

Hope its gonna be easier mod-able once PC port is negotiated ;-)
Still waiting for a way to mod textures in DX11 version of DS2 (specifically for my custom control scheme UI)

UrbanRats

Dark Souls 1 is the best game in the series just because I dont have to talk to some repetitive waif speaking cryptically. The bonfire knows you got shit ta do.

That shtick is getting old, indeed.
But i guess the repetition is part of these Souls games, in a way.

I'm totally ready for this.

Praise the sun!
//image
Is that Tim Curry, playing King Arthur in a live adaption of Monty Python and the Holy Grail? I cannot find the words that fit the amount of awesome and epicness ... is there a way to watch that online in some form?

@Topic:

I guess with those screens, Dark Souls 3 at E³ is pretty much confirmed then? E³ already delivered before starting, although is just finished Bloodborne and playing Dark Souls 2 Scholar on PS4, i can't get enough Souls!
Bring on gameplay, videos, trailers for this and Bloodborne DLC!

Zaventem

Regarding Sword Fighting Arts i hope it's like magic's physical cousin. Moves only granted for physical weapons if you meet a certain requirement.

I still think sword arts is about combining the combat flavours of Dark Souls and Bloodborne. Rush in means frantic Bloodborne style and Circle means slower Dark Souls style. Maybe rush style gives you the option of regaining health like in BB and maybe circle style gives bonus poise with shields or something like that.

Might be. Maybe.

jimboton

I too don't know how I feel about the Souls games becoming annualized. Why can't they be biannualized already? A year is just too long to wait. Come on Miyazaki between Dark Souls, Bloodborne, King's Field (It needs to be back soon) and Space Souls (in needs to exist soon), you can do it. I don't want to need to play a non From Software game ever again.

I still think sword arts is about combining the combat flavours of Dark Souls and Bloodborne. Rush in means frantic Bloodborne style and Circle means slower Dark Souls style. Maybe rush style gives you the option of regaining health like in BB and maybe circle style gives bonus poise with shields or something like that.

Might be. Maybe.

I think Circle is actually Bloodborne style of evading/strafing around opponents and Rush probably a charge style attack for knightly heavily armored types. There will hopefully be many more arts to find and use as well.

I think Circle is actually Bloodborne style of evading/strafing around opponents and Rush probably a charge style attack for knightly heavily armored types. There will hopefully be many more arts to find and use as well.

Could be. We'll just have to wait and see who's right.

Both wrong, probably.

DryvBy

Oh my, those screens looks good. I wonder how much I'll enjoy this after playing Bloodborne. That pacing is a lot easier to play.

I did like the more lonely feeling of Dark Souls since it didn't depend on an NPC to level up. It was you and the flame, and I thought that they tied that in really nicely with the lore of the world they created. The emerald maiden wasn't very satisfying in her motive for providing this service to you, on the other hand Demon's souls was more convincing even though it kind of said less.

Can't make a judgement on bloodborne and the doll as the DLC might change things.

Ferr986

The problem with the aldia ending is the player already saw the consequences in the DLC already with the Ivory and Iron King, Both kings surpassed the curse but were followed by the dark and got destroyed in different situations while the Sunken king was prospering but got destroyed by other humans greed.

There is a implication of resurrecting the dragons for a possible key to destroy the curse in dark souls 2.

Did they? I don't remember that but I'm not sure. I though only Aldia escaped the curse, and shows you than you can't really get out of the cycle unless you leave your body and soul behind (he tells you that he lost everything after becoming whatever shit he is).
Hell, even Vendrick ends up hollowed, even though he has the Vendrick's blessing.

About the dragons, I always understood that Aldia tried to resurrect them because they come from an era before the age of fire (an era where the curse had yet do exist) , so he expected them to be a key for curing the curse.

Foffy

Banned
Did they? I don't remember that but I'm not sure. I though only Aldia escaped the curse, and shows you than you can't really get out of the cycle unless you leave your body and soul behind (he tells you that he lost everything after becoming whatever shit he is).
Hell, even Vendrick ends up hollowed, even though he has the Vendrick's blessing.

About the dragons, I always understood that Aldia tried to resurrect them because they come from an era before the age of fire (an era where the curse had yet do exist) and they're probably inmune to it, so he expected them to be a key for curing the curse.

Well, they are referred to as 'everlasting' dragons. Perhaps the dragons are a source of a cure. I do wonder if the third game is going to focus on dragons more, now; King's Field I-III were centered entirely on the conflict between Guyra, Seath, and the evil of the world, so this would not be a new theme for them to entertain.

Dr. Buni

Dark Souls II is my favorite game in the series, so naturally I want more of it. That write up makes me really excited. That sacrifice thing.
hzccrrr.png

Also, it's weird how people complain about the Emerald Herald but no one is bothered by the original Herald, aka Maiden in Black. Neither of these characters bothered me in the slightest.

Pooya

Could somebody tell me what's wrong with her? I'm too busy enjoying the game to notice.

I liked her and the story nothing's wrong with the character itself, it's just that you have to go through her repeating dialog every time and mash X to skip to do your thing. It gets annoying. If you hit her a few times she stops talking but that's wrong...

boinx

I feel like they gotta come up with some seriously different/new stuff for this game to get me excited, tweaking the same old formula isn't very interesting anymore.

Proper coop could be fun, always wanted to play the other games in coop with my friends but it's just too much of a hassle to get that shit working for various reasons.

Aikidoka

Dark Souls 1 is the best game in the series just because I dont have to talk to some repetitive waif speaking cryptically. The bonfire knows you got shit ta do.

I think it would be fine to have another level-up NPC so long as they get new dialogue frequently and if they are instrumental to the story. Compared to the Maiden-in-Black, the doll and green cloak lady don't seem to do much.

Foffy

Banned
Dark Souls II is my favorite game in the series, so naturally I want more of it. That write up makes me really excited. That sacrifice thing.
hzccrrr.png

Also, it's weird how people complain about the Emerald Herald but no one is bothered by the original Herald, aka Maiden in Black. Neither of these characters bothered me in the slightest.

You kind of always had to return to the Nexus by design, so it wasn't too bad. The Emerald Herald is a step back because in Dark Souls, you could level up in all areas, but the sequel forced you to return to Majula. It would have been better if there was an isolated hub like in Demon's Souls or Bloodborne if they wanted to execute it better.

UrbanRats

I think it would be fine to have another level-up NPC so long as they get new dialogue frequently and if they are instrumental to the story. Compared to the Maiden-in-Black, the doll and green cloak lady don't seem to do much.

Lol, goes to show how memorable she was.

Hopefully, no more lore reliance on being connected to Lordran for fan service's sake. One of the worst parts of DSII lore.
ENB speculated on a possible lore connection to DS1 I think in his recent podcast. It was pure speculation, but he thought it might be set closer (in time) to DS1 than 2, so that gave me a bit of hope, no matter how speculative.

Pappasman

So whats the deal with those details in the OP?

"45 new enemies, 15 new bosses. Characters and monsters from previous games are not included in that count.
Light sources and enemy layouts have been changed."

New enemies and bosses? Changed lighting? It makes it sound like this is a remake or something.

Parsnip

If that is to be believed, early 2016 is earlier than I expected, was absolutely banking on holiday 2016.

I'm okay with this.

Krasnoya Ronin

Neo Member
Lots of people still seem to be reserving their hype for an official announcement, but man... looking at those screenshots and concept art, it really screams 'Souls to me, and specifically a Miyazaki 'Souls game. There's a certain atmosphere and level architecture that really seems to imply his hand at work.

I mean look at those spires, buildings in the background that I'm sure you'll see much closer later on, if not be able to explore directly. And that obvious rooftop you can traverse. Miyazaki loves his rooftops and rafters.

Only just caught the DS bug due to a friend's purchase of Bloodborne and a rainy weekend with that game. Fired up DS on Monday, spent an hour or so making it PC pretty and haven't looked back since! And for a minut there I was thinking about buying The Witcher 3 ....pffft that can wait for the winter sale to fall into the backlog.

I mean look at those spires, buildings in the background that I'm sure you'll see much closer later on, if not be able to explore directly. And that obvious rooftop you can traverse. Miyazaki loves his rooftops and rafters.

grrrr...

Rooftops are great, but rafters? Mannnn, F' rafter platformer, high wire act, balance section, you know the controls suck for it Souls. This ain't Mario.

Don't even care. I love this series so much that they could annualize it and I would buy the shit out of it every year.

I'm not bugged by it or anything like that! I was just surprised to see another DS so soon! It's awesome how much momentum this series has picked up.

2011, 2014(15), 2016 is pumping them out?

3 games in 5 years seems like a lot to me. Maybe it's just me. Again, not complaining or anything, more like pleasantly surprised that a lot of people enjoy these games. Shows to me that there's still an audience for that 'NES hard' style.

cerulily

3 games in 5 years seems like a lot to me. Maybe it's just me. Again, not complaining or anything, more like pleasantly surprised that a lot of people enjoy these games. Shows to me that there's still an audience for that 'NES hard' style.

Fromsoft has the capacity for two games to be developed side by side. They said this when bloodborne's marketing was picking up.

About the dragons, I always understood that Aldia tried to resurrect them because they come from an era before the age of fire (an era where the curse had yet do exist) , so he expected them to be a key for curing the curse.

They did, is implied great souls can surpasss the curse for a limited amount of time then starts to decay and go hollow like any other undead, Vendrik knew that and went for the Giants souls to for a possibility to learn about the very essence of the soul but couldnt get it in time since the giants fight back and
nashandra was hunting him for his soul and didnt wanted to threw himself to the fire so he put mechanism to react to strong souls and let them sacrifice themselves to the fire and so vendrik could rule all drangelic at cost of you.

Syder

Are people not experiencing Dark Souls fatigue yet?
I never played Demon's. I loved Dark Souls. I wised up pretty quickly to the fact that DSII wasn't what I wanted. I don't own a PS4 and therefore haven't touched Bloodbourne.

So, no, I don't have series fatigue at all and would happily play another Dark Souls 1-style game.

I think that "rush in" and "circle" are an option you choose that apply to your dodge/attack ability.

Rush in is maybe more like bloodborne, perhaps better stamina ?
Circle look like a solution for tanks, heavy shield and armor users, with the ability to sidestep ?

Anyways, sounds like "aggressive" and "tank".

Plus, IMO the "sacrifice to create bonfire", if true, would prevent from running the bonfire, if you need to carry an enemy and do a ritual you cannot skip content.

Top Bottom