• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
If you see the boss leave the ground just assume it going to do the fire attack. Operating under that assumption you should always have plenty of time to run.
Don't worry, that's exactly what I did, wasn't enough to get away. Not even remotely close. He quite literally got up and used the AoE fire attack in one second.

It is an AoE attack...

If you're asking for the camera to dynamically pan back and give you a xray view of yourself standing under a giant enemy so you can clearly see what's happening, well, I understand where you're coming from but Souls has never, ever worked like this and no indication was ever given that it's something From considers an issue.

Which is to say that camera management is tacitly a mechanical challenge meant to be overcome, like rolling or parries. If you've seen high level PVP, it's the same thing there. You can lock on a target and throw your skills/items and hope the other guy just stands there, or you can manually aim it with precise camera work.
Lmao, I like this condescending attitude "oh no the camera can't possibly be bad and this boss can't be terrible design, it must be you that can't use the camera, git gud eh ehe ehe eh" Nope. King of the Storm is a bad boss, with terrible design, with camera issues that quite literally don't exist in not a single other Dark Souls enemy.
King of the storm is piss weak to electricity. Can kill him in barely any hits and he staggers for critical attack very easy.
Always attack the head and never go underneath it as there is no reason to. If it does ground attack fire breath you get a ton of free hits.
Just run through it with shield up and hit away from side.
Also not many great lightning / about 5 sunlight spears kill it on a faith build.
NK phase is much harder. Rarely even see the air fire blast attack.
The NK phase is a lot more fair.

Yeah, i'm 40 STR/20 DEX and my
Black Knight Greataxe
has 625 AR

Also, is there a reason why the
Fume UGS
does lower damage than other strength weapons but has such a high requirement
? I'd expect to get alot more from 50 STR

Lastly, what's considered spoilers here? Tried to look for them in the OP but didn't find anything

It used to be has the highest AR, IIRC, but FROM, in their infinite wisdom, decided to scale it down quite heftily.

Speaking of FROM and their infinite wisdom:

So apparently poise do absolutely nothing for player right now. Zilch. Nada. Nopey. Does nothing.

So in essence wearing heavy armors in general will greatly disadvantage you since one of the things that they're supposed to be good at is actually 100% non-functional. I guess they REALLY hate STR builds, siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Lux R7

I love BB's version of MLG so much

aq5nj57_700b.jpg

Dks one is my favorite, so ethereal.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
It used to be has the highest AR, IIRC, but FROM, in their infinite wisdom, decided to scale it down quite heftily.

Speaking of FROM and their infinite wisdom:

So apparently poise do absolutely nothing for player right now. Zilch. Nada. Nopey. Does nothing.

So in essence wearing heavy armors in general will greatly disadvantage you since one of the things that they're supposed to be good at is actually 100% non-functional. I guess they REALLY hate STR builds, siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

lol let's not pretend the FUGS didn't need a huge nerf. It's still beastly thanks to the scaling.

lol let's not pretend the FUGS didn't need a huge nerf. It's still beastly thanks to the scaling.

Well yeah, although it is for all intents and purposes the "ultimate" STR weapon, so to speak, so to see it being nerfed is quite sad :)

Also, goddamn FROM and their poise-uselessness, urghhh. What's so weird that the poise mechanic is *actually there* and you can activate it by messing up with the game files a bit, apparently--and *BOOM*, poise.

I would honestly expect more from the weapon with the highest STR requirement. Shove those 10 points into DEX instead to wield the BKGA and it already does more damage

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I would honestly expect more from the weapon with the highest STR requirement. Shove those 10 points into DEX instead to wield the BKGA and it already does more damage

There's more to weapons than raw damage though. A fully charged 2h strong attack with a Fugs will knock just about anything on its ass, from really far away. You can chain knockdowns on pretty much anything without getting close enough to get hit if you space it right. I haven't used the BKGA in this game but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have that kind of range.

Also if you 2-hand you only need what, 35ish strength? while still getting the benefit of your strength stat + 50% in terms of the scaling damage. So the stat requirements aren't as intimidating as they seem.

So when I clear a boss I can't get invaded anymore in that zone? But the Dried Finger allows me to still get invaded in that area which is kinda cool.

I can definitely confirm that beating a boss for a particular area *does not* make you ineligible for invasion. I had multiple people invading me in my embered status when I wait in front of Crystal Sage boss gate (already defeated it) with my summon sign down trying to farm Sunbro medals by helping people.

MUnited83

For you.
I can definitely confirm that beating a boss for a particular area *does not* make you ineligible for invasion. I had multiple people invading me in my embered status when I wait in front of Crystal Sage boss gate (already defeated it) with my summon sign down trying to farm Sunbro medals by helping people.

That's because
there's technically still one other area you have to clear.

That is because Farron Keep, which also has a boss, is considered the same area. Kill the boss there and you will no longer be invaded anywhere in the Road of Sacrifices

MilkBeard

Crystal Sage is a midboss, not an area boss. You will lose the ability to get invaded if you beat A.W.

What builds are you guys rushing?

Right now I feel like I'm pushing everything into three stats regardless of build. In my first run through it was mostly Vigor, Strength & Dex. Second run through it's mostly Vigor, Vit & Endurance. I still get my ass handed to me by bosses every now and again.

Should I instead be maxing two? Strength & Vigor with a little in Endurance?

Next run I was thinking maybe going for a twin dagger build, Maxing Endurance. Applying Poison to the weapons & using the rings that increase dmg for each attack & reduce stamina for people who block.

Cyborg

I can double confirm this (before the update from yesterday)

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
The thing thats weird bout poise stat is one of the spells u can use boosts ur poise n actually does what poise is meant to do. Its in the kotaku article.

So as much as poise is broken from armours. The stat works when u use the spell (cant remember off hand which one)

That's because
there's technically still one other area you have to clear.

That is because Farron Keep, which also has a boss, is considered the same area. Kill the boss there and you will no longer be invaded anywhere in the Road of Sacrifices

Ahhhhhhhh I see. I thought Farron Keep is considered a different zone than Road of Sacrifice since it has a boss tied to it and RoS has another.

Hmmm alright.

The thing thats weird bout poise stat is one of the spells u can use boosts ur poise n actually does what poise is meant to do. Its in the kotaku article.

So as much as poise is broken from armours. The stat works when u use the spell (cant remember off hand which one)

Apparently the only thing that you need to activate Poise in the game is to change a particular modifier in the game file from 0 to 1. At least that's what being said on reddit. So strange....

There's more to weapons than raw damage though. A fully charged 2h strong attack with a Fugs will knock just about anything on its ass, from really far away. You can chain knockdowns on pretty much anything without getting close enough to get hit if you space it right. I haven't used the BKGA in this game but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have that kind of range.

Also if you 2-hand you only need what, 35ish strength? while still getting the benefit of your strength stat + 50% in terms of the scaling damage. So the stat requirements aren't as intimidating as they seem.

I know about two handing. But that means no one-handed sweeping R1's. I've been switching between the two a few times and wish it at least matched the BKGA's AR

That area counts Farron keep too for some reason so you'd have to kill the boss there AND Crystal Sage for no invasions

I've been following the poise discussion too since i saw it on reddit, i would test to see if wearing heavier armor makes those buffs allow you to take more hits. If not, poise is a useless stat at the moment.

So, I need an advice, but as less as spoilery possible, thanks: it's my first run and I'm going blind on everything.
Got to the
General Archives
but found a closed door, so I guess I need to find a key somewhere first. Now I have 3 paths to choose from:
Anor Londo
, something that feels like
Irithyll Catacombs
and
Consumed King's Garden
; which one should I better start with?

Umm...
the Gardens is an optional area
so I would leave that for the end. I don't understand how can you have
Anor Londo and Ithryll Catacombs
still to do? I couldn't enter the
Dancer Boss Fight before doing all in Anor Londo and Ithryll Catacombs
. Weird.
Grand Archives is the end game area - how can you access it without killing Anor Londo and Ithryll Dungeon bosses?

adz2ka

Leveling up Strength is a good idea if you want to use the most variety of weapons.

I've gone down the path of Luck/Dex, with a base level of 20 strength so that I can use a lot of weapons. Hollow weapons will scale with luck, and you will get a boost to luck just by having a Hollow weapon/Shield in hand.

What's your stats?
I'm looking to do a NG+ with luck/dexterity considering my level 100 Str/End run with the Dark Sword was laughably easy towards the end.

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/jefv.mp4

thats using the weapon art from the caestus called Perseverance

so poise is working just not when granted from armours etc.

But then what is the poise stat for? Yes, Perseverance may let you poise through attacks, but how does the poise stat affect it? I'm actually planning on testing the Poise weapons arts to see if more poise from armor let you take more hits in the duration, because otherwise the stat is useless

Sanctuary

I'm going to say Fume is probably the best, even post nerf. Hits unfathomably hard, has great range, and has 80% phys damage reduction when 2 handed. Knight Slayer ring + grass crest shield and wowzers most people will melt before it.

Actually, I'm not sure which weapon does the most stamina drain on block, but it seems like too many are sleeping on the Lothric Knight Greatsword. Over 600 AR unbuffed, is upgraded with titanite, can be infused and buffed. It has split damage, but with how hard it hits, you wouldn't know it. It's an absolute monster of a weapon, and it's faster than Fume too. Fume is better for blocking with though if you are going shieldless and have to block sometimes.

C
onsumed King
is weird. It's a like a Bloodborne boss that accidentally made it into DkS. Have no idea when it's safe to attack at all, and I use a fast weapon. Can't imagine what heavy weapon users are going through

You can tank & yawn him to death. 85 Stability Shield does the trick - I didn't even drink one estus during the fight.

He has this frenzy kind of attack that - if you can roll to the side - leaves him open for like an eternity.

---

Actually I reall like how in this game almost every boss has magic/ fire/ lightning weapon which makes tanking... not that viable as in DkS1/ DkS2. I tanked Artorias and Manus in DkS1 for Christ's sake. I cannot tank bosses here as they still damage me through the best shield.

Knuf

Umm...
the Gardens is an optional area
so I would leave that for the end. I don't understand how can you have
Anor Londo and Ithryll Catacombs
still to do? I couldn't enter the
Dancer Boss Fight before doing all in Anor Londo and Ithryll Catacombs
. Weird.
Grand Archives is the end game area - how can you access it without killing Anor Londo and Ithryll Dungeon bosses?

Wait, what?
Shorty after arriving at
IIthryll and killing the damn beast on the bridge
, I returned back to High Wall of Lothric and simply
killed the NPC found in the cathedral: then the Dancer Boss immediately appeared
and after that I was able to access and clear all
Lothric Castle
So from your answer I guess it doesn't really matter where do I go next, so
Anor Londo
it is then, thank you.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
But then what is the poise stat for? Yes, Perseverance may let you poise through attacks, but how does the poise stat affect it? I'm actually planning on testing the Poise weapons arts to see if more poise from armor let you take more hits in the duration, because otherwise the stat is useless

People have tested, it is useless. Poise as the stat is described in the game does not work.

Champion Gundyr
really is the death of me in this game...I'm in my 2nd run as a DEX character and just like my 1st run with a STR character he's crazy difficult...his 1st phase is easy but his 2nd phase is crazy...I can parry him but his shoulder bumps throw me off and I always mistime it thinking it's a Halberd swing...the most I ever got him down to was around 40% health...he's way too aggressive and it's hard to even heal without him hitting me...I've never felt so hopeless against any boss in a Souls game like this...I'm thinking about finishing the game and getting all my main stats to 40 before trying him again

Yea he is fucking RELENTLESS in the 2nd phase. He does not fuck around. Wrecks everything! Drinking Estus is a fucking meta-game in this fight. Jesus Christ. I LOVE how the music changes to being more agressive in the 2nd phase.

For me he was this game's Fume Knight. Got him after 1+ hour of trying (no parries/ magic... haha try to cast any spell in his 2nd phase...).

Fookin bastard.

Wait, what?
Shorty after arriving at
IIthryll and killing the damn beast on the bridge
, I returned back to High Wall of Lothric and simply
killed the NPC found in the cathedral: then the Dancer Boss immediately appeared
and after that I was able to access and clear all
Lothric Castle
So from your answer I guess it doesn't really matter where do I go next, so
Anor Londo
it is then, thank you.

Yeah... I didn't think about killing that NPC! :)

Yes, go to
Anor Londo
first. You should love it!

Cathedral of The Deep is such a cool location. It's another one that's impressed me with it's scale and design. I love how you have to fight through the grounds first before reaching the actual Cathedral, which then has it's own kind of maze-like interior with shortcuts and secrets. There's a good mix of different enemy types and the boss fight was another one with it's own quirky surprise (after the Rotted Great-tree and Abyss Watchers).

A few areas cleared now and I think the quality has been consistently high after the low-key intro of the High Wall.

The Cathedral is the best area in the whole game. Such an amazing, amazing level design. Easily on par with Tower of Latria.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. I was actually hoping it is useless, because it makes it more likely that FromSoft maybe didn't intend for us to have no poise and turns it on later.

Apparently it does work on roll recovery frames, which is such an incredibly oddly specific thing, I have no idea if that's intentional. But it just seems so unlikely to me that From is so incompetent as to not have poise work as intended when some modder has managed to make it work. Maybe they just changed their minds about how it should work really late in development but didn't change the description or the values... idk. It's baffling. I just wish they'd say something about it.

Apparently it does work on roll recovery frames, which is such an incredibly oddly specific thing, I have no idea if that's intentional. But it just seems so unlikely to me that From is so incompetent as to not have poise work as intended when some modder has managed to make it work. Maybe they just changed their minds about how it should work really late in development but didn't change the description or the values... idk. It's baffling. I just wish they'd say something about it.

That was just de-confirmed by the same person who made a video on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCiVg5HqWLg

Turns out it was equip load

Eusis

I don't have one yet on this character.
Dunno if this was answered, but:

From my experience it seems that Giant Seeds dropping correlate with being invaded, as I usually get them again after a few invasions (and when using them AND dried fingers can basically go get a new one right away.) I think it's kind of meant to go "sucks about being invaded so much how about a boon so they'll lay off some?"

pa22word

Actually, I'm not sure which weapon does the most stamina drain on block, but it seems like too many are sleeping on the Lothric Knight Greatsword. Over 600 AR unbuffed, is upgraded with titanite, can be infused and buffed. It has split damage, but with how hard it hits, you wouldn't know it. It's an absolute monster of a weapon, and it's faster than Fume too. Fume is better for blocking with though if you are going shieldless and have to block sometimes.

People sleep on lkgs I would imagine because it for whatever reason it scales with dex. I guess you could just infuse it, but you loose the little bit of extra dex scaling other heavy weapons have just to make up for it.

Mafro

That patch yesterday has definitely screwed the online stuff for me. Invasions aren't working at all and I can't see summon signs or be summoned. Turning the PS4 off and on again worked last night but not now. Oh well it was fun while it lasted, on to something else now.

Cyborg

That patch yesterday has definitely screwed the online stuff for me. Invasions aren't working at all and I can't see summon signs or be summoned. Turning the PS4 off and on again worked last night but not now. Oh well it was fun while it lasted, on to something else now.

Are you always this negative in life? :) It will all work out

Meccs

This doesn't work, I've been testing it out. It must be a new area for you.

Well I tested this at the Road of Sacrifices (Crabs) after killing
Crystal Sage
boss and it never took more than 30 seconds after popping the fingers until someone invaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom