• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raist

Banned
What's the dealio with this
ghost
I'm seeing in
Boreal Valley?

vXGj2GU.jpg

Walks a few steps and then disappears. Wut.

They're just ghosts of outrider knights.

Also, FYI especially if you're playing on PC, some people have been making some nasty hacks that will get you soft-banned, and can even reset your character:

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4gzcgx/warning_cheaters_can_now_get_you_softbanned_and/

From pls.

just finished Oceiros and Champion

I feel like the game has really hit its stride. Insanely good atmosphere, interesting level design and lore that's got my attention. Boss fights are generally good not great except for a few standouts.

Minamu

I think I screwed something up. O
rbeck
just disappeared after I bought all his spells (I left to talk to Irinia). I didn't get a speech, ring nor gesture, wtf? The related boss encounter has been cleared a long time ago and I found his body where the ashes were, nothing else.

SDR-UK

I think I screwed something up. O
rbeck
just disappeared after I bought all his spells (I left to talk to Irinia). I didn't get a speech, ring nor gesture, wtf? The related boss encounter has been cleared a long time ago and I found his body where the ashes were, nothing else.

You need to talk to him after buying a select few spells and handing him the scrolls. Otherwise, you won't get any of the items. I made the same mistake my first time through.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
After which boss should I stop progressing to get ready for NG+? Don't want to end up at the finale without knowing.

KHlover

Banned
Whew and that's
Dragonslayer Armor
down. On my first try we actually killed each other but since his death animation is so long the game reloaded before it registered as a win :S

Took me another few tries but now he's down :D

Now onto
Champion Gundyr

Nameless

So a letter was discussed on The Giant Beastcast about whether or not invaders should use estus flasks. The way I see it no healing only applies as an unspoken rule in actual, mutually agreed upon PvP areas. While invading randos all bets are off. I'm there to destroy you by hook or by crook, period. Especially when, as an invader, you're often faced with stacked odds and/or hosts who have no qualms about running away and estus spamming constantly.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So a letter was discussed on The Giant Beastcast about whether or not invaders should use estus flasks. The way I see it no healing only applies as an unspoken rule in actual, mutually agreed upon PvP areas. While invading randos all bets are off. I'm there to destroy you by hook or by crook, period. Especially when, as an invader, you're often faced with stacked odds and/or hosts who have no qualms about running away and estus spamming constantly.

I don't think From should allow it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Can someone tell me how close I am to the end? I just beat
Lothric and transported to the Kiln of the first flame
, then died to a boss straight after. I haven't done a few of the optional areas, should I go back and do them now?

SDR-UK

Can someone tell me how close I am to the end? I just beat
Lothric and transported to the Kiln of the first flame
, then died to a boss straight after. I haven't done a few of the optional areas, should I go back and do them now?

That is the final boss. You can choose to not proceed with NG+ however, but I'd do the optional areas now just for chronological sake.

Tingle

I don't think From should allow it.

I think the issue with not allowing it for invaders is that healing is pretty broken in this game. Its too powerful to only let one side heal. Its not like Dark Souls 1 where you could just run behind the host and backstab them for healing.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
That is the final boss. You can choose to not proceed with NG+ however, but I'd do the optional areas now just for chronological sake.

Wow, had no idea that was the final boss! There was no cutscene or anything, he just ran at me. I'll go back and do the other areas now so.

SkylineRKR

anyone?

if its just invading than fuck that damn... i killed like 50 DWs for tounges and just got 1

������
invading is hard as fuck... its never 1 v 1 ... ��

Farming is not worth it without Covetous + Symbol. I don't have Sage weapon, but I average about 6 per half an hour of parrying DW's. I also invaded a few times and inbetween the crap I sometimes get easy 1 v 1's, it depends. Won about 5 in a row at some point but that was for Shackles (which are way worse to farm in PvE anyway). Pale Tongues seem to be the least annoying covenant items to farm I'm afraid.

bargeparty

I've been trying to do everything correctly in NG+, following a little checklist someone created, but in undead settlement
I met with Hodrick via riding the cage, did some other stuff, killed the greatwood boss and it seems he's dead anyway?

Where did I mess up?

Raist

Banned
I've been trying to do everything correctly in NG+, following a little checklist someone created, but in undead settlement
I met with Hodrick via riding the cage, did some other stuff, killed the greatwood boss and it seems he's dead anyway?

Where did I mess up?

Look at his body. You should get why that happens.

IMO healing should generally be allowed, I feel like it's clear that From is trying to make it a more legitimate part of the game (for example phantom vs. phantom fights in fight clubs they'll have equal healing) but the community seems very against that fact.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Reposting here because I feel like it has some info people need to know about Faith Builds, Chimes and Talismans. I see so many complain about Faith being bad but its not true at all. It takes a bit longer to get up and running than other builds but that's because its the most versatile of the builds.

People who say faith is bad have no idea what they are talking about.

As a faith Hybrid you have so many options.

You can cast spells that buff defenses. On top of that you can cast spells to continually heal you. Or even use the chimes art to heal you which is VERY FP efficient.

Miracle damage is actually VERY good as well. From does not want Faith builds chucking spears from long range anymore. Faith builds already have so many more avenues to success than others.

It even says so in the description of some spells that LIghtning wasnt meant to be thrown from distance but rather up close to pierce the stone scales of dragons. Go test it out.

At 50 faith with Morne's, Sun's Firstborn, Lightning Clutch and a plus 10 Sunlight Talisman I do 791 damage from range with Sunlight Spear on Lothric Castle Bonfire knights.. Right next to them I do over 1300.

You will hear a different sound if the Spears hit up close and the damage will reflect the change.

Not to mention that the Sunlight Talisman doesnt even have the best scaling.

Bet some of you didnt know that Talisman's also grant different poise for their weapon arts. The Sunlight Talisman does less damage overall than the others but the Unfaltering Prayer they can use grants infinite poise. Which means you're meant to get up close and personal with enemies to get that extra damage multiplier when using that talisman. The item description says as much.

Compare with the regular Talisman or Canvas Talisman which both gives only one hit of Poise while using Unfaltering Prayer but do more damage.

The Saint's Talisman has the Unfaltering Prayer weapon art as well but it doesnt work. It does the most damage of all the Talisman's but is balanced by having the weapon art be useless. The item description even states the Weapon Art of the Saint's Talisman is undermined by its frailty.

Then you have Chimes which do even more damage than all the Talismans but don't have the Unfaltering Prayer art. Instead they give you a continuous heal for 13 FP. If you want to stand back and chuck Spears then Chimes are the way to go. But even then the damage they do wont come close to using a Talisman up close because again From doesnt want already highly versatile faith builds being able to stay at range and trivialize the game.

I could understand feeling that getting a faith build up to snuff takes a while but saying they arent good or do "trash" damage is so far from the truth.
This is a great post. Thank you for spreading the knowledge.

Dimmle

Reposting here because I feel like it has some info people need to know about Faith Builds, Chimes and Talismans. I see so many complain about Faith being bad but its not true at all. It takes a bit longer to get up and running than other builds but that's because its the most versatile of the builds.

People who say faith is bad have no idea what they are talking about.

As a faith Hybrid you have so many options.

You can cast spells that buff defenses. On top of that you can cast spells to continually heal you. Or even use the chimes art to heal you which is VERY FP efficient.

Miracle damage is actually VERY good as well. From does not want Faith builds chucking spears from long range anymore. Faith builds already have so many more avenues to success than others.

It even says so in the description of some spells that LIghtning wasnt meant to be thrown from distance but rather up close to pierce the stone scales of dragons. Go test it out.

At 50 faith with Morne's, Sun's Firstborn, Lightning Clutch and a plus 10 Sunlight Talisman I do 791 damage from range with Sunlight Spear on Lothric Castle Bonfire knights.. Right next to them I do over 1300.

You will hear a different sound if the Spears hit up close and the damage will reflect the change.

Not to mention that the Sunlight Talisman doesnt even have the best scaling.

Bet some of you didnt know that Talisman's also grant different poise for their weapon arts. The Sunlight Talisman does less damage overall than the others but the Unfaltering Prayer they can use grants infinite poise. Which means you're meant to get up close and personal with enemies to get that extra damage multiplier when using that talisman. The item description says as much.

Compare with the regular Talisman or Canvas Talisman which both gives only one hit of Poise while using Unfaltering Prayer but do more damage.

The Saint's Talisman has the Unfaltering Prayer weapon art as well but it doesnt work. It does the most damage of all the Talisman's but is balanced by having the weapon art be useless. The item description even states the Weapon Art of the Saint's Talisman is undermined by its frailty.

Then you have Chimes which do even more damage than all the Talismans but don't have the Unfaltering Prayer art. Instead they give you a continuous heal for 13 FP. If you want to stand back and chuck Spears then Chimes are the way to go. But even then the damage they do wont come close to using a Talisman up close because again From doesnt want already highly versatile faith builds being able to stay at range and trivialize the game.

I could understand feeling that getting a faith build up to snuff takes a while but saying they arent good or do "trash" damage is so far from the truth.
This is is very informative for my upcoming FTH build!

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Oh man I think I'm towards the end of the game. This is the furthest I think I've ever gotten in a From Software game lol. It's been frustrating at times, but damn this is the tightest game I think I've played since Witcher 3.

Sort of late game spoilers but
can anyone tell me what the purpose of dunking your head in wax is in the Grand Archives area in Lothric Castle?

SDR-UK

Oh man I think I'm towards the end of the game. This is the furthest I think I've ever gotten in a From Software game lol. It's been frustrating at times, but damn this is the tightest game I think I've played since Witcher 3.

Sort of late game spoilers but
can anyone tell me what the purpose of dunking your head in wax is in the Grand Archives area in Lothric Castle?

You get to avoid the
hands that cause curse and damage you.

do +rings count for the trophies? or do I have to get the original?

also how do I get mound makers items?

Yes +Rings do count towards the trophy which means you have to do at least three play-throughs.

You get the shackles by being summoned as a Mad Spirit (Mound Maker Covenant applied with either white or red sign), you need to defeat phantoms or the host to get them.

Unicorn

I'm trying to make an Oberyn Martell character and I think I'm getting close to obtaining the special Poison Spear.

My friend has been saying poison is a lot worse in this game, but I don't have past knowledge about it. Mainly, PvP-wise.

Is poison weak? Should I go for a poison spear as a dex character? I've been using a fire rapier and I'm about 12 hours in and it's been destroying mostly everything, but I really want to get spears going - they've just seemed harder and more endurance costing compared to this rapier; also, halberds seem to just be better with the horizontal attacks as well as thrust.

myco666

do +rings count for the trophies? or do I have to get the original?

also how do I get mound makers items?

Yup all + rings. This means you have to beat every boss except
Old Demon King, Two Princes and LoC
on NG++.

Mound maker items are from either invading or getting summoned as a mound-maker. Can be easily boosted with a friend and can be farmed with abysmal droprate in Catacombs.

My perspective is that invaders essentially volunteer as extra obstacles in the host's game. The host's experience is much more important than the invader's. Unbalanced odds via 3v1s or reduced healing only become a problem when they discourage too many people from invading and so deprive hosts of a full Dark Souls experience.

But then I'm a sunbro. I can see where frequent invaders might think of killing hosts and leveling up in the invader covenant as a core part of their Souls experience (as much as being invaded) and want to have a decent chance of doing it.

And of course Fight Clubs/Honor duels are a different matter.

Kieli

I am so fucking done with these fucking pontiff knights

They have these really, really fucking stupid double swipes that have zero start-up time.

Fuck, FromSoft, how the hell am I supposed to get a hit in with your characters smacking me in-between my start-up time for an attack.

UrbanRats

So i did the (final bosses spoilers)
princes
in one and i thought the end of the game was mine already, but i'm already several attempts in with the final boss (like 5 or 6) and no dice.
Only once i managed to get
his second phase at like 5% health, and sometimes i can't even get past his first phase.
I'm just using a refined longsword +10 and no shield/basically naked to stay under 30% equip, plus the shield does more harm than good here, i feel like.

Any suggestion/strategy i may use? I figured the only real solution is to get the rolls right and just get lucky with those, but might as well ask, before i break down and summon.

The thing mostly fucking me up is
how the timing of the attacks changes slightly from first to second phase, so my brain doesn't readjust to the new timing fast enough, i suppose, and i mess up too often.

Also, fuck his Magic stance, in the first phase, fuck it to hell and back.
Fuck his katana stance, while we're at it.

Also, psychologically, i really hate bosses with two full health bars.
Even if it's the same thing, i prefer one longer health bar.

Dimmle

So i did the (final bosses spoilers)
princes
in one and i thought the end of the game was mine already, but i'm already several attempts in with the final boss (like 5 or 6) and no dice.
Only once i managed to get
his second phase at like 5% health, and sometimes i can't even get past his first phase.
I'm just using a refined longsword +10 and no shield/basically naked to stay under 30% equip, plus the shield does more harm than good here, i feel like.

Any suggestion/strategy i may use? I figured the only real solution is to get the rolls right and just get lucky with those, but might as well ask, before i break down and summon.

The thing mostly fucking me up is
how the timing of the attacks changes slightly from first to second phase, so my brain doesn't readjust to the new timing fast enough, i suppose, and i mess up too often.

Also, fuck his Magic stance, in the first phase, fuck it to hell and back.
Fuck his katana stance, while we're at it.

Also, psychologically, i really hate bosses with two full health bars.
Even if it's the same thing, i prefer one longer health bar.
When he uses magic, roll up on him and whack away. When he uses the scimitar, keep your distance and wait until he switches forms again. In his second form, only attack him after he performs a leaping strike.

daedalius

Parry their asses

Yea sure, parry works so well and their parry window is so easy to hit properly when I have to fight like 10 of them in a row.

Haven't had too many regular enemies that make me want to stop playing and throw my controller at the tv, that's usually only bosses.

psychotron

I did it!! I beat the game and got the
Usurpation of Fire
ending!! This is the first Dark Souls game I've beaten, and I feel fucking great!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom