• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
It costs the same as Demon, Dark 1 or Bloodborne. Illusory wall blog says it may cost +/- 1 soul due to rounding differences, but it seems the formula is the same in all those four games.

Dark 2 made leveling really cheap. Maybe the Emerald Herald was just better at levelling up peeps.
It's the same? I thought that might be the case. I think I remember reading on IW's blog when BB came out that it had the same ratio, so figured DS3 would follow suit - it just feels more expensive!

Maybe Emerald Herald had self-esteem issues and gave her services away too cheaply?!

Soulhouf

Oh I don't completely agree with the bolded bit. The Blessed and Crescent equivalent are complete crap. Well okay, I haven't used Simple infusions yet, but Blessed just... sucks this time around. The damage is complete crap and the HP regen is too low to be worth the trade-off. :(

Yeah they are crap that's why I said some of them need readjustment.
They don't need to buff scaling/damage but the special effect to make it worth the trade-off. Make the recovery scales better with upgrade level (let's be crazy: +10HP/second at +10). Perhaps add status effect resist with blessed weapons and better elemental resist with the magic equivalent to the mix, something in these lines.
I don't mind low damage since it's not the point to do straight high weapon damage with these builds. They would be way more interesting with a more useful effect like in Demon's Souls. Actually I find the fact that blessed weapons do 100% physical damage now interesting.
I expect FromSoft to change these upgrades in a future patch. They must do something.

Lakitu

st5fu
That feeling when you try to reclaim 40,000 lost souls but then get mobbed and killed by rats of all creatures. FUCMKLME

patchday

what item I need to cure posion?

surely this
old lady
at firelink sales something I'll go check

edit- found purple moss

Nephtes

That feeling when you try to reclaim 40,000 lost souls but then get mobbed and killed by rats of all creatures. FUCMKLME

Just breathe... It's going to be okay.
Realize and know that when you get to the end of the game and want your Trophies or Achievements you're going to need to farm items off enemies for RARE drops...

You'll farm for 1 hour, have 300,000+ Souls and not even care... Because in that time you found 1 of the 30 items you need...
Souls become worthless... The new currency is measured in
Proof of a Concord Kept

20 more to go...
Sigh.

D-... does that mean zero hits? I'll never be MLG Soulsman. ):

Not necessarily. Not all of his hits are big. Also, you can actually wear full northern or fallen knight armor at SL1 and stay below fat roll.

I also used Lloyd's Sword ring on my SL1 run. Prevents a lot of one-hit kills.

For late game bosses though, lots of 1-shotters.

onionfrog

D-... does that mean zero hits? I'll never be MLG Soulsman. ):
No you can survive most attacks. I think he had one or two moves that could one-shot me.

Having such low stamina is the bigger problem so far. Also shields being next to useless since you don't have enough strength to hold a 100% physical shield. And even if you could you'd get run out of stamina while blocking really quickly!

Not necessarily. Not all of his hits are big. Also, you can actually wear full northern or fallen knight armor at SL1 and stay below fat roll.

I also used Lloyd's Sword ring on my SL1 run. Prevents a lot of one-hit kills.

For late game bosses though, lots of 1-shotters.
I need to go get Lloyd's sword and shield rings tonight. Made it up to the cathedral last night.

I'm not looking forward to late game bosses being able to one-shot me with most of their moves!
:/

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
A possibly stupid question regarding trophy hunting:
on my second playthrough right now (new char, not ng+) is it even possibly to get all masters of pyro/sorcery/miracle before ng+? Afraid if I start ng+ and have to farm covenant items requiered for trophys, maybe I'll be overleveled for invading for example?

No you can survive most attacks. I think he had one or two moves that could one-shot me.

I need to go get Lloyd's sword and shield rings tonight. Made it up to the cathedral last night.

I'm not looking forward to late game bosses being able to one-shot me with most of their moves!
:/

Shield ring you buy from the handmaiden after giving her Paladin's ashes! In case you didn't know.

It's not as bad I made it sound honestly. Hardest boss for me was probably
dancer
. But after dancer you can get the Knight's ring for a 100% block shield, making
Oceiros
substantially easier... Then you can just parry
Champion Gundyr
to death and get the ring from his soul, giving you like an extra 200hp. That combined with some armor and the shield ring = actually very rare 1-shot kills.

onionfrog

Shield ring you buy from the handmaiden after giving her Paladin's ashes! In case you didn't know.

It's not as bad I made it sound honestly. Hardest boss for me was probably
dancer
. But after dancer you can get the Knight's ring for a 100% block shield, making
Oceiros
substantially easier... Then you can just parry
Champion Gundyr
to death and get the ring from his soul, giving you like an extra 200hp. That combined with some armor and the shield ring = actually very rare 1-shot kills.
Good news then! I already cheesed the
Dancer
using the
Swordmaster NPC Glitch
!

:p

Boy that Dancer huh

Golly

:'(

The grabs and tracking, fam. Unforgiving

If you have the patience for it (I BARELY do...) you can just stay at a distance from her and punish her jumping attack that she uses to cover the distance. It's the easiest one to punish for me. With the xbone framerate issues, it feels insanely hard for me to stay close and dodge through all her weird, delayed, and long combos.

That's how I beat her at SL1.

Dartastic

Just breathe... It's going to be okay.
Realize and know that when you get to the end of the game and want your Trophies or Achievements you're going to need to farm items off enemies for RARE drops...

You'll farm for 1 hour, have 300,000+ Souls and not even care... Because in that time you found 1 of the 30 items you need...
Souls become worthless... The new currency is measured in
Proof of a Concord Kept

20 more to go...
Sigh.
Wait. Why do I need this currency?

Nephtes

Wait. Why do I need this currency?

The only way
to get all the Miracles
in the game for your Platinum Trophy is by joining the
Darkmoon
Covenant and defend other players from invaders to get
Proof of a Concord Kept
... You need 30.

It's broken though and some players (like me) NEVER get summoned by the game...
So the only way to get 30 otherwise is to spend ENDLESS hours farming them from
silver knights
... Who only seem to drop 1 per hour.

Dimmle

If you have the patience for it (I BARELY do...) you can just stay at a distance from her and punish her jumping attack that she uses to cover the distance. It's the easiest one to punish for me. With the xbone framerate issues, it feels insanely hard for me to stay close and dodge through all her weird, delayed, and long combos.

I've found that most bosses in DS3 (and probably the series) can be safely dispatched by distancing yourself and only punishing jump attacks. Just takes a bit longer.

Audioboxer

Aw man, trying to decide which Black Knight weapon to pour these twinkling stones into....

Axe seems to do the most damage on a 40/40 build.

ElFly

It's the same? I thought that might be the case. I think I remember reading on IW's blog when BB came out that it had the same ratio, so figured DS3 would follow suit - it just feels more expensive!

Maybe Emerald Herald had self-esteem issues and gave her services away too cheaply?!

I think Vendrick just lowered the souls taxes to encourage people getting OP.

The power of Seek Seek Lest.

I was lvl 200+ when I started NG+ on my last character in DS2.

I was disappointed the new level up waifu didn't have four paragraphs of skippable dialog this time

and yeah, I got to NG+ at 200+, if not 250+ my first time around

I remember hitting level 100 and wasn't even at Drangleic castle thinking "man this game is about to end"

I think it was just balancing out all the points you need to dump into ADP.

That's _probably_ the rationale, but it is not proportional to the cheapness.

So if you added a stat to Dark Souls, and wanted to compensate by making the levels cheaper, you'd drop the requirements across the board proportionally, like 1/10 cheaper or so.

So getting to level 2 costs 657 in Demon, and 500 in Dark 2, which is slightly more than predicted by taking the proportional increase in stats, but ok.

But level 100 costs like 60k in demon.....and only 13k in dark 2 which is ridic cheap.

I think they just wanted people to level up more often. Feels good, man.

Dartastic

The only way
to get all the Miracles
in the game for your Platinum Trophy is by joining the
Darkmoon
Covenant and defend other players from invaders to get
Proof of a Concord Kept
... You need 30.

It's broken though and some players (like me) NEVER get summoned by the game...
So the only way to get 30 otherwise is to spend ENDLESS hours farming them from
silver knights
... Who only seem to drop 1 per hour.
Oh. I'm playing through Steam and I don't care about trophies. Cool.

KodaRuss

So I beat
Deacons of the Deep
last night for the first time (Yes, I know I am way behind). Did From just listen to everyone that thought (Bloodborne Spoilers)
Rom was too difficult
? Or is there another Boss like that in the game.

That fight was incredibly easy and I really enjoyed the Bloodborne version of it.

I've been trying but she hasn't done any jumping attacks. Only slides and pokes

I accept it's my fault and I need to get good but the tracking on some of the hits is really annoying lol.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yuria question (quest line spoilers):

Is it possible to get her Black Set AND the Manikin Claws in one playthrough? I know you have to anger Yuria to get invaded by the Pale Shade with the claws, either by killing her spy or by curing the Sigil. However, I heard that killing Yuria (which would grant you her awesome armour set) stops these buggers invading. Problem is, I think she leaves after you anger her...

Any ideas?

I think I got this to work on my playthrough (not intentionally):
I wanted to save Anri this time, so upon reaching Yorshka's church, I killed the Chameleon-using pilgrim. I lit the bonfire but didn't rest or use it to warp away, just continued on (was playing with a friend too anyway).

One thing that I might need to note is that the bonfire leading to Irithyll Dungeon is fogged off so I couldn't lit it. But my friend died to the black knights, so I went back to that bonfire and lit it, just to have it, and then trekked back to the beginning of the level to grab my friend (who hadn't progressed into the level at all at this point), and then we continued on, killing the black knights.

Then just as we exit that part, and start fighting the dogs and invisible assholes that pew-pew magic at you, we get invaded by the Pale Shade of Londor. So we kill the invader and I got their claws.

Then we reach the shortcut, kill the Pontiff etc. I finally return to Firelink, spend my souls, and then go talk to Yuria. She is mad at me and says "there's nothing more to be said". So I attacked her then. She actually killed me, lol, but when I respawned at Firelink she was still there and aggro'd so I could fight her again, killed her and got her weapon and ashes.

Hope this helps!

Remember when Salt and Sanctuary got criticized due to its Google Translate-level translation to other languages? Well, Dark Souls 3 does the same. At times.

The Spanish version of the game has some rather blatant stuff, like the "open" prompt on doors translated as "abiertos," which not only refers to something that's already open, but it's also plural.

Dancer of The Boreal Valley was translated as "Bailarín del Valle Boreal," which is male, but then her armor mentions she's a woman when inspected.

But this takes the cake:

When you look at the stats for any bow in the game, under weapon type you'll see it listed as "hacer reverencia," as in, the act of doing a bow.

What the fuck, localization team.
LOL, holy shit. Seems like it's the Latin American version that got the shaft. Weird. You'd think Latin Americans would prefer using a Spain localization over this crap, so why not simply give them that?

I've found that most bosses in DS3 (and probably the series) can be safely dispatched by distancing yourself and only punishing jump attacks. Just takes a bit longer.

That's also how I beat
Nameless King, Soul of Cinder, and Pontiff (parrying the jumps).

I felt so good when I started discovering this strategy on my own!

Continuing my new character run, last night I defeated D
ancer
, O
ceiros
, and C
hampion
G
undyr
. Shockingly I beat D
ancer
and O
ceiros
on my first try! I had missed the C
onsumed King's Garden
area on my first run... which is hilarious because it isn't even hidden. That was one of the creepiest boss fights in the game. Afterwards, C
hampion
G
undyr
gave me a much harder time. Big props to From once again for another exceptional boss fight. I think I took him down on my 3rd or 4th try. Progressing to L
othric
C
astl
e, I was rewarded for being a dedicated Sunbro when I got to the altar and already had 97 sunlight medals. Praise the sun!

Another one from the same guy:

https://gfycat.com/BlushingBlackandwhiteEkaltadeta

hnnnnnng

Fine work! You have ungodly reflexes.

Audioboxer

Aw man, trying to decide which Black Knight weapon to pour these twinkling stones into....

Axe seems to do the most damage on a 40/40 build.

Damn the axe absolutely slays, and I don't even have enough twinkling to go +5 yet. That 2hand R2 juggles even some of the bigger enemies like paper bags lol.

Not to mention it has the axe built in buff with L2... Crazy.

Up next I'm going to try a faith build with cresent axe (normal one) and/or a lightning lothric Knight sword. Sunlight spears can't be THAT bad.

Anyone else having problems with coop? Whenever I'm getting summoned it fails, no matter where I leave my sign. Playing on xbone.

It's not failing, but I'm seeing a dramatically decreased amount of summon signs. Very few red summon signs after P
ontiff
, which usually has dozens. I also made a new char and there were only 2 summon signs at V
ordt
and just one in front of the Tree boss, which is odd since both these places always have an obscene amount of signs. PS4 btw.

theaface

So just had a bonkers experience with Champion Gundyr on NG+. It was my first time fighting him on NG+ and I had Sword Master and a sunbro with me (I just enjoy the jolly co-operation).

Anywho, Gundyr starts beating on Sword Master and I'm doing fine getting my hits in. Sword Master gets pinned against the left hand of the arena (high sided) and dies. Moments later, Gundyr clips through the wall up and away, leaving me and sunbro stood there bemused for a good 15 seconds until he was declared dead.

Obviously a bit of a cheap finish but amusing all the same. Nice that another player was there to see it too.

It's not failing, but I'm seeing a dramatically decreased amount of summon signs. Very few red summon signs after P
ontiff
, which usually has dozens. I also made a new char and there were only 2 summon signs at V
ordt
and just one in front of the Tree boss, which is odd since both these places always have an obscene amount of signs. PS4 btw.

Odd. Not sure if its a problem on my end or the servers. Hopefully the problem doesn't persist.

Please answer this very important question for me:

Are there spiders in DS3? I know about the big monkey/wolf/spider looking thing in the cathedral where the 2 giants are. Is that it or are there more spiders?

My phobia can affect my ability to finish and like the game.

Are there spiders in DS3? I know about the big monkey/wolf/spider looking thing in the cathedral where the 2 giants are. Is that it or are there more spiders?

None that I can recall. You should be good.

Edit: Wait there's an enemy that shows up in watery areas that while not quite a spider does have multiple legs. They can be found in
irithyll
and the
profaned capital
. Given the severity of your phobia you might find them unnerving.

myheaduphigh

Neo Member
So, I started my second character over last weekend after wrapping everything up with my first.

I decided on starting as a cleric, focusing on strength and faith. I originally had intentions of slinging lightning to supplement my strength, but from what I read and what everyone tells me, offensive miracles are a joke this time around. I guess we can't always have vanilla DaS2 lightning, can we? With that in mind, I'm wondering what comes next for this character. Do I put him on a path for pyro? Or do I just continue onward with a strength character that heals? I've always liked spells in these games, but sorcery in DaS3 doesn't seem to be for me.

I usually play dex characters, I really like weapons like rapiers. I'm sort of lost in all of the strength weapons. Can anyone recommend decent strength weapons that aren't incredibly slow, like huge clubs and swords? I really don't know if I see myself carrying this regular broadsword the whole way. (I'm currently in
Farron Keep,
btw).

Thanks Gaf for always having insights and advice when I'm lost and confused in souls games <3

Dimmle

There are wolf spiders and then there are these horrific insects that look like drowned bodies from a distance but become strange Grudge-looking J-horror creepies when aggro'd.

Mother of god... he used the "curl up" emote to dodge D
ragonslayer
's attack:

https://gfycat.com/UnhealthyHauntingEarthworm

c81.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom