• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you want the original PGS parry from Dark Souls 2 to return? :p
I just want normal weapon parries back man. ;-;

Nah, I just want to be able to get the parry out between straight sword hits like you can with parry shields. I'm gonna try mashing harder, as dumb as that sounds.

I did just figure out that it has surprisingly longer active frames than I thought.

EDIT: Even doing something like moving around doesn't make the parry come out sometimes, what

Just a matter of registering there's something particular about that spot, and keeping it in mind for later. The way it's laid out, combined with the item you find there talking about meditation, was enough to make me experiment with gestures that looked like decent meditation poses. When I found the
Path of the Dragon
gesture, I was 90% sure I knew what to do with it.

I honestly forgot all about it. I didn't think about it until I was upgrading some stuff and Andre mentioned Hawkwood, who in turn was talking about it.

After that I was told about it.

Watching ENB fight
Yhorm and try to figure out the Storm Ruler is just painful.

Can you link the video, I want to see. Funny story about that fight
I figured out I had to use Storm Ruler immediately. I read the item description to see what I had to do though, I tried just whacking him with it first with no luck

Sarcasm

I am like the only guy who has trouble with the mobs aren't I? These silver knight archer dudes were hard in DS1 but do-able for me.

In DS3 I can't do anything to them, my LS+7 does nothing backstab damage wise. And its like poise is turned off regardless.

Two things I learned today.
1) There's a death metal band called Soulmass that does songs that relate to Souls' lore like this one of Artorias of The Abyss

2) There's an app called soapstone that lets you put down messages and read messages from others around you.

Figured I'd share em because they're pretty awesome :p

Ghost23

Could someone tell me roughly how far percentage wise I am?
I just defeated Dancer of Boreal Valley
. I feel like I'm missing a bunch of optional areas and it's stressing me out.

I'm trying to decide whether I should do a dried finger NG+ run with my character, or if I should make a new character build. I thought about doing a Chaos infused weapon build for funsies, but it's probably inferior to just getting a Raw or Quality weapon and using a spell buff.

Sarcasm

This isn't the definition of hard it is annoying. Even using FUG they barely take anything. And yes I can wield it 2H just fine and I am under 70% equip load.

I was afraid it would be something like that. Because they're useless in PvE.

Straight Swords stance is pretty useful. Spears/Lances with the charge are also good.

This isn't the definition of hard it is annoying. Even using FUG they barely take anything. And yes I can wield it 2H just fine and I am under 70% equip load.

Fume Ultra Greatsword was nerfed a lot. Use something else, like a Straight Sword. They are straight (no pun) OP in PvE due to low Stamina consumption and good damage due to infusions.

Lothric Straight Sword is my favorite, but Broadsword has higher AR and horizontal moveset. If you are STR I also recommend Butcher Knife, it is fast and decent art for PvE.

Tarkus

I am like the only guy who has trouble with the mobs aren't I? These silver knight archer dudes were hard in DS1 but do-able for me.

In DS3 I can't do anything to them, my LS+7 does nothing backstab damage wise. And its like poise is turned off regardless.
The Silver Knights in this are vicious as fuck. Don't feel so down.

I was afraid it would be something like that. Because they're useless in PvE.
I use many skill attacks in PvP. Particularly the BK Glaive's and the Partizan's. Wrecks

Grexeno

Some of the encounter design in
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
oh my lord

Probably the most gorgeous looking Soulsborne area though

TitusTroy

I noticed that if you die at the same time as killing a boss you still get credit for the kill...with previous Souls games I seem to remember them making you replay the fight if you both die at the same time

kagamin

I noticed that if you die at the same time as killing a boss you still get credit for the kill...with previous Souls games I seem to remember them making you replay the fight if you both die at the same time

Only if the boss' death animation finishes before you go to the loading screen.

2AdEPT

Im with krusenstern...that was painful to watch...the original stormruler, which he rambled on about worked the exact same way...maybe a little less time to charge in demons, but to have to quit out twice is not what I want from a god tier you tuber....especially on a blind run....I want to see the brain cells twitching on the fly and relive the heart pounding intensity I went through while figuring it out on the fly. That's the whole point of watching a blind run, to assess the capability of the blind runner...if they suck...its too painful to watch. I didnt watch the whole series so ill assume that was just a one off. Everyone is allowed a couple brain farts for a blind let's play, but it was still painful to watch and there are no excuses which can cover over how bad this attempt was.

Risible

So finally dipped my toes into PVP. Been invading with the cracked red eye orb in the Archives. It's really soured me on PVP.

1) If I bow or wave to the host, I inevitably get stabbed in the back by the friend he had hiding behind the door.
2) It's rarely one on one or even two on one.
3) If by some miracle I find a one on one the duel starts and lo and behold suddenly the host is warping all over the place. Lag switch activate!
4) The hit detection is crazy. I'm getting tagged miles out by something that shouldn't reach me.
5) Every fight is roll roll roll R1 R1 R1.
6) I'd rather not turn it into an estus chugging contest but it always devolves into that, and the host has double the estus.

I'm guessing this has been answered before but I don't want to search due to the risk of seeing spoilers in the thread:

Is playing Dark Souls II important for understanding the plot or lore in Dark Souls III? I started Dark Souls II recently but haven't been enjoying it much compared to Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne. It's started to feel like a bit of a chore to me so I'm considering skipping straight to Dark Souls III.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Too many worthless skills in this game. That the curved sword skills don't even combo, stagger, or do more damage than 2 R1 attacks (????) is really dumb.
Yeah the dual curved swords L2 is terrible. However, since the patch, the L1 is actually pretty decent. Consumes more stamina than a regular R1, but does more damage, as you'd expect, and it combos quite nicely.

Dahbomb

I'm guessing this has been answered before but I don't want to search due to the risk of seeing spoilers in the thread:

Is playing Dark Souls II important for understanding the plot or lore in Dark Souls III? I started Dark Souls II recently but haven't been enjoying it much compared to Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne. It's started to feel like a bit of a chore to me so I'm considering skipping straight to Dark Souls III.
Even if you play DS2 you won't understand the plot/lore. As long as you played DS1 you should be fine lore wise for DS3.

Stencil

So I'm In P
rofaned
C
apital
and found S
iegward
. I was talking to him and he gave me a
Titanite slab
, but I was only able to receive it before being whisked away on a covenant invasion. When I returned, he was gone, but I wasn't able to exhaust the dialogue. Am I fucked or will we meet again; questline resuming as normal?

N
ameless King
is kicking my butt for hours yesterday and hours today. The first part is no problem but I feel lucky if I even get a single hit in on the second part.

Not to mention anyone I summon (the rare times the summoning works) the summoned person seems to die really early into the first part.

Anyone wanna help out? im almost out of all my embers...

edit: xb1

TitusTroy

what's the difference between using the firekeeper to cure the Dark Sigil and just using a Purging Stone?...seems much easier and less expensive to just use a purging stone...am I missing something?

kagamin

what's the difference between using the firekeeper to cure the Dark Sigil and just using a Purging Stone?...seems much easier and less expensive to just use a purging stone...am I missing something?

Purging stones are temporary and reduce the hollowing status, the Firekeeper will get rid of the Dark Sigil entirely.

I've loved Dark Souls since DS1 and some of the obtuse systems are what I like, but DS3 has taken it too far. I decided to make a Sorc/Dex character. I rescued Orbeck, but got wrapped up in the dex portion of my build. Well if you beat 4 bosses without giving him a scroll he disappears from the game permanently... Like wtf. Just let him hang out in the shrine like everyone else. No reason for this story wise, it's just frustrating.

kagamin

I've loved Dark Souls since DS1 and some of the obtuse systems are what I like, but DS3 has taken it too far. I decided to make a Sorc/Dex character. I rescued Orbeck, but got wrapped up in the dex portion of my build. Well if you beat 4 bosses without giving him a scroll he disappears from the game permanently... Like wtf. Just let him hang out in the shrine like everyone else. No reason for this story wise, it's just frustrating.

His dialog:
I don't mean to seem overbearing, but have you forgotten?
In exchange for my sorceries, you are to bring me knowledge.
In the form of scrolls detailing the secrets of sorcery.
I hope you're not one to break a promise.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Er, yes there is. Were you not paying attention to his dialogue? You made a promise and didn't keep it, so he got fed up and left.

Ok. Super end game spoilers but I got a question!

What up with 3 firelinks?

Obviously the dark firelink is our main firelink but in the past but then there is the endgame firelink which is in Lordran. But arent we already technically in Lordran but after a long ass time?

Oh wow, thanks for the warning.

Crap I don't know how many bosses I've killed since the last scroll. Guess it's time to go scroll hunting.

You gotta go to church before visiting a grave ;)

I like you.

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/15785

Planning a chaos infusion build, but I'm not sure what the final build will look like. I want to try to make it possible as an SL100 character even though it fits SL120 better. Most of the game will be spent putting points in Vigor and Endurance first with a Raw infused weapon before focusing on other stats.

Right now the idea is to wield high base damage weapons so that the scaling kicks in more, and sometimes Chaos will have B/B in Int/Faith.

Airgetlam

Ok. I haven't had any problems with the camera in this game until the first part of the Nameless King. Why do they insist on having large bosses and not have the camera zoom out.

Unai

Now in my second playthrough (from scratch, not NG+) I've decided to neglect STR, DEX, INT and FAITH, use a fire infused longsword and a deep axe and level up only my stamina and hp at first. I just beat
Pontiff Sullivan
and I think the game is easier than during my first playthrough using a Uchigatana and leveling up DEX.

Now that I'm at the soft cap for stamina and my HP is almost as good as I want it to be, I don't know how I will level up futher. I really like the longsword moveset, maybe it's a good ideia to go quality? What about the Anri's straight sword? I'm also thinking about leveling up faith instead to use buffs. Is the ricard's rapier still a boss killer weapon in this game?

Any other fun ideas are appreciated.

Now in my second playthrough (from scratch, not NG+) I've decided to neglect STR, DEX, INT and FAITH, use a fire infused longsword and a deep axe and level up only my stamina and hp at first. I just beat
Pontiff Sullivan
and I think the game is easier than during my first playthrough using a Uchigatana and leveling up DEX.

Now that I'm at the soft cap for stamina and my HP is almost as good as I want it to be, I don't know how I will level up futher. I really like the longsword moveset, maybe it's a good ideia to go quality? What about the Anri's straight sword? I'm also thinking about leveling up faith instead to use buffs. Is the ricard's rapier still a boss killer weapon in this game?

Any other fun ideas are appreciated.

You don't get Ricard's Rapier until way late in the game, so you would have to use an Estoc or Rapier for most of it.

I remember Faith + Luck being popular for a short time because you can use Anri's Sword and then buff yourself with a Faith spell and it saves points that would otherwise be used to make a quality build, but you would be limiting your weapon variety. You could also just go Raw and focus on Faith and get to use different weapons that way until you're ready to put more points into other stats.

Ok. Super end game spoilers but I got a question!

What up with 3 firelinks?

Obviously the dark firelink is our main firelink but in the past but then there is the endgame firelink which is in Lordran. But arent we already technically in Lordran but after a long ass time?

It could be that
Time is convoluted in Lordran. Best I can guess :p

Seriously though, the way I see it
We have the main firelink. Then we have the firelink that isn't in the past per se, because if you write messages on the ground in normal Firelink they appear there too. Also, you find Andres hammer, and the handmaiden lady. We also find a dead firekeeper. I think it's in a time long in the future, or a time where the fire was not kindled and was let to fade hence the absence of the bonfire. As for the Firelink before the final boss, that I'm stumped. My best guess is that we're close to Lordran but not actually where it was completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom