• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III - PC Performance article

I have no clue about specs, so I just have to ask:

i5 4460 @ 3,2 ghz
8 gb RAM
GTX 960 oc

should have a better performance than a PS4, right?

Is that the 4GB or the 2GB version of the 960?

Even with the 2GB version you should easily better performance with better than PS4 settings except maybe textures.

Grief.exe

Pc version has long load time? Not good for ps4. Surprise 980 cant hold 60 fps at max 1080p.

Most likely an outdated build and no driver optimizations.

980 not holding 60 at 1080p would be more to do with From/Nvidia dropping the ball at release than a lack of power.

Bl@de

The long loading times are only with dual core CPUs.

Doesn't say how long, just that they are considerably longer with a Dual-Core CPU

2GB VRAM should be enough for highest textures. Even the 980 ti with 6GB only allocates 2,4GB.

Vitor711

Most likely an outdated build and no driver optimizations.

980 not holding 60 at 1080p would be more to do with From/Nvidia dropping the ball at release than a lack of power.

Where are people seeing the 980 bench? Can't find it on the article.

Was really hoping that 60FPS maxed out at 1440p would be a non-issue with this game.

Or should I chalk it up to pre-release shenanigans and hope for the optimisation that'll happen on the Nvidia driver/game side closer to release?

Seems fine, especially performance-wise.

It's actually surprising how little hardware seems to be needed for 60 FPS, given that it's a 30 FPS game on consoles.

That's trivial to circumvent though.

Edit: read more thread.

Anyway, the video settings didn't seem to add much, but I'm looking forward to max settings 1440p

manuel

Neo Member
I really hope my amd quad@4.3 AND r7 250x can run the game at any settings, 30fps 1080p. I have no money for upgrades...

Anyone know if there is a 30/60fps toggle/lock?

I'm still running a 670 which is clinging on surprisingly well, so imagine it would look better than PS4 as long as I can lock to 30.

Fujinn

Anyone know if there is a 30/60fps toggle/lock?

I'm still running a 670 which is clinging on surprisingly well, so imagine it would look better than PS4 as long as I can lock to 30.

You can always use nvidia inspector or rivatuner to lock it. And gedosato (maybe?)

Wagram

If the build is locking vsync and keeping frame rate slightly down can't you just force it off and use something rivia tuner to lock it at 60?

I'd like to have my first go at these kinds of games finally. However, I want the PC version I get to be well enough optimized and even more importantly to control well. Sounds like I should get 60fps with my gtx960 which is good however, iffy mouse&keyboard controls? I think I'll wait for more impressions.

CHC

I'd like to have my first go at these kinds of games finally. However, I want the PC version I get to be well enough optimized and even more importantly to control well. Sounds like I should get 60fps with my gtx960 which is good however, iffy mouse&keyboard controls? I think I'll wait for more impressions.

The performance is historically great for the Souls games on PC, a 960 should be able to give you a better experience than on PS4, certainly. Mouse and keyboard is pretty much out for these games though. They're straight ports, and if you don't have a gamepad it's really going to be rough going, especially if you haven't played the games before.

The performance is historically great for the Souls games on PC, a 960 should be able to give you a better experience than on PS4, certainly. Mouse and keyboard is pretty much out for these games though. They're straight ports, and if you don't have a gamepad it's really going to be rough going, especially if you haven't played the games before.

Hmpf. I only have a fairly old logitech gamepad and tend to really like m&k controls (when properly implemented of course).

Guess I'll have to think about it.

Despera

Banned
I wouldn't even consider m/kb as an option for these games.

JBwB

GTX 690 user here.

How good was the Dark Souls 2 PC port? Did it have SLI support? Was SLI supported right off the bat?

I'm hoping I'll be able to use my gpu to it's fullest rather than worry about dips when using only half of it.

I wouldn't even consider m/kb as an option for these games.

Agreed. Controller is really the only way to play these IMO. The controls are generally very tight and well designed (except jumping in some peoples' eyes. I like the jump controls, most of the time.) but they are optimized around controllers. People have managed M/Kb but it's not pretty.

Is it me, are my eyes just bad but I could hardly see any big differences... or hell any differences at all other than the lighting.

I did not find the differences to be notable. Sometimes they weren't even discernible which makes me wonder if some of the features were missing from the build.

Kieli

There's really no reason why a GTX 770 can't 1080p/60fps this thing. It's not pushing any boundaries, tech-wise.

Hypron

If by that you mean DaS2, then yes it runs really well on PC. DaS1, on the other hand, requires a lot more power to run properly than it should considering it's a last gen game. My old HD5850 couldn't even run that game at a fixed 30fps regardless of what settings I used, whereas DaS2 ran at an almost flawless 60fps on the same setup. Now that I have a gtx970 DaS1 runs great but that graphics card is way more recent than the game.

But yeah if DaS3 follows DaS2 it'll run better on a half decent PC than on PS4.

So beautiful. Loved (and played) the shit out of Bloodborne but damn if I wouldn't pay full price again for a 60 FPS, 1080p PC version with decent antialiasing.
Interestingly, many of the options besides shadow quality, antialias and water reflection don't seem to look drastically different, even comparing low to high.

TitusTroy

why is it so hard for From Software to optimize the game for kb/m?...it's been 3 games now on PC...they've had enough time to master the control aspect on PC

why is it so hard for From Software to optimize the game for kb/m?...it's been 3 games now on PC...they've had enough time to master the control aspect on PC

I'm with you, no matter how many people will insist Souls games are supposed to be played with a pad, I still prefer m&k if just only for the camera control and arrows. They sadly insist with those Shift + Left click bullshit combinations that are unintuitive and unusable. It's not even a case of laziness cause it's clear they have spent time on that. They just don't know how to properly make use of m&k from a logical point of view.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

It's ridiculous how there's input lag on mouse clicks in DS2, let's not even go into how bad DS1 is :lol. Not that I would play without a controller myself, but for those who want to it's ass.

Yudoken

Get a cheap 360 or at least a DS3, they work fine on pc.
I mean I just recently got a 360 wireless with the wireless adapter for 25€ from ebay here in germany for my little brother.
Also you guys underestimate your pc performance, if you have anything like a 750ti or above and not a total trashy cpu you should get it on pc.

TitusTroy

I'm with you, no matter how many people will insist Souls games are supposed to be played with a pad, I still prefer m&k if just only for the camera control and arrows. They sadly insist with those Shift + Left click bullshit combinations that are unintuitive and unusable. It's not even a case of laziness cause it's clear they have spent time on that. They just don't know how to properly make use of m&k from a logical point of view.

DS2 was a bit better in terms of controls but not perfect...I always have to do a lot remapping of controls...and From Software limits your options because you can't rebind all keys and a lot of keyboard buttons cannot be used

DS2 was a bit better in terms of controls but not perfect...I always have to do a lot remapping of controls...and From Software limits your options because you can't rebind all keys and a lot of keyboard buttons cannot be used

Yea I remember using AutoHotkey scripts to customize everything and get rid of the input lag, still not ideal, very far from it. On the other hand you have console ports like Dragon's Dogma which are beautiful on m&k, didn't have a single issue with that game.

Jedi2016

Well, if my GTX-680 isn't entirely up to snuff for 1440p, at least I can turn down a couple settings and not see a whole lot of difference, hopefully make up the difference until I get a new card.

Qwyjibo

I'm in. First time I'll be playing a Souls game on PC. I always went with PS3/PS4 before but I got a new PC in January.

If I can get around 50fps at 1440p with high/very high settings I'll be happy. I have a 6600K, R9 390 and 16gb of RAM.

Hoping my modest laptop can run it well, DS2 ran great but newer games like the Witcher give me some trouble.
Luckily the Low setting looks pretty nice!

Top Bottom