• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

HKnightz

hey guys,
should I be expecting a consistent 60fps with the fix from a 6970, i2500k rig or is that too optimistic? Trying to run it at 1920x1200. TIA and thanks Durante for the awesome work!

Haunted

MDQPu.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
I was just planning to code something like this today, but this guy beat me to it: http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/45/. It's a simple app that lets you config Durante's mod with a visual interface rather than notepad (or notepad++ in my case :p). It also saves your configuration, so you don't have to redo everything over whenever Durante updates.

Grief.exe

So, I got a 670 yesterday and Dark Souls runs like shit. My 6950 handled it perfectly without framedrops, but the 670 barely keeps 30 - it's 15fps most of the time.

I'm using the exact same settings. Any idea what could be wrong?

2880x1620
1920 DoF
SSAO

What drivers are you on?

gogogow

So, I got a 670 yesterday and Dark Souls runs like shit. My 6950 handled it perfectly without framedrops, but the 670 barely keeps 30 - it's 15fps most of the time.

2880x1620
1920 DoF
SSAO

What, what, what!? I actually want to go back to Nvidia. How is that possible? Aren't some people running this game with GTX460/560 with a locked 30fps? How can the so much faster 670 have problems?

Sarcasm

I run a native 1920x1200 with internal res of 2560x1600. SMAAX1 set to ultra and SSAO set to high. Also got 60FPS mod. No struggling for me! I get 60FPS.

gogogow

2880x1620
1920 DoF
SSAO

What's your CPU?

I run a native 1920x1200 with internal res of 2560x1600. SMAAX1 set to ultra and SSAO set to high. Also got 60FPS mod. No struggling for me! I get 60FPS.

Are you using a GTX670?

gogogow

Well, I can only speak for myself and I'm sure there's plenty of 670-users here that runs the game fine. It's probably just an issue on my end or the game itself in some way. All my other games works like a charm though (+200% boost in BF3, yay!).

I've tried lowering resolution but it doesn't really help until I reach the really low ones :/

i7 920 @ 4GHz
6GB

There must be something wrong that causes you to have low framerate. With that kind of setup you should have no problem running the game with a good framerate. Hope you sort it out.

Sarcasm

What's your CPU?

Are you using a GTX670?

60fps without drops? How does it perform without the 60fps-mod?

edit: Could you please share your settings?

Yeah, thanks. I'm gonna fiddle with the settings to begin with and then try that 60fps mod and see if it makes any difference.

My specs are:

i7 3770K @ 3.4ghz
GTX670 - the newest drivers.

I have SMAA at 4 and SSAO at 3. Internal res set to 2560x1600. Thats the only graphical changes. I get 24FPS when I sit at a bonfire though.

Durante

Your card could be too fast, causing it to drop into low power mode, and not getting back out of it since Dark Souls reduces its own load to 15 FPS to match. Try setting the power management policy for Dark Souls to "High Performance" (or whatever it was called) using Nvidia Inspector.

Your card could be too fast, causing it to drop into low power mode, and not getting back out of it since Dark Souls reduces its own load to 15 FPS to match. Try setting the power management policy for Dark Souls to "High Performance" (or whatever it was called) using Nvidia Inspector.

I have a 670 and this was the first thing I did. Fixed my problems.

HKnightz

Hey Durante, is there anything like that for amd cards? and would you know if a 6970 (well technically a 6950 unlocked to 6970) would have that problem? Runs smoothly at 30fps, but when the fix is applied, it jumps back and forth from ~60 to 30fps even while standing in place.

scitek

There's a power saving option in Windows itself that was causing a few games to run like crap when I first got my 670, too. You should look into turning that off.

Sarcasm

Thanks Durante, enabling that performance-settings in Inspector did a lot!

The framerate dropped twice during my testing though but they only last for a second or so, so no biggie. Will try 60fps now to see if my rig can handle it.

No, I was just wondering if you had it activated. You activate/disable it through BIOS.

edit:

Oh, ok. Where can I find this option?

I was looking over here but I'm not sure what option to turn off. PCI Express perhaps?

Okay i will go check. For the power you want to go to nvidia control or amd is catayalist (spelling) thing.

zkylon

zkylewd
I suggest people wanting to save themselves a horror show not to try giving the human skin textures the hollow skin textures' id :D

SYNTAX182

Wow! PC version can be played 60fps and 1080p? Can't believe it. Selling my PS3 version and getting this. PC mod community is amazing.

ronny_1

Neo Member
I don't know if this will help Durante o anyone else working on DSFix

But this is what i noticied:

Screen with DSFIX hudless feature :

screenshot_2012-09-21_14-17-44_zps06011c67.jpg

Whit the steam capture

2012-09-21_00001_zps0bcbd7e3.jpg

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
^ It seems that the flair effect is affected?

Wow! PC version can be played 60fps and 1080p? Can't believe it. Selling my PS3 version and getting this. PC mod community is amazing.
Just make sure you have a highly capable PC.

How does one reset a Nexus password?

Durante

I just released version 1.5.
Better SMAA/SSAO integration and renderstate management (fixes ordering of SSAO), loading of .dds textures and an FPS option are included.

As I say in the blog post, after disabling all power management options for my GPU and CPU I can maintain 60 FPS at 1080p, 810 DoF with DoF blur 1, SMAA 4 and SSAO 2 -- at least in the areas I tested.

You know, I liked Vurt's mods for Fallout: New Vegas and Morrowind, but now he's basically recycling the same tree models over and over even when they don't really fit....
I'm honestly not a fan of most of the style changing texture mods released so far. The game has a very unique look. Personally I just use mods that improve the font/HUD resolution or the resolution of very low-res in-game textures (such as spiderwebs) while being faithful to the source material.

Thrakier

I just released version 1.5.
Better SMAA/SSAO integration and renderstate management (fixes ordering of SSAO), loading of .dds textures and an FPS option are included.

As I say in the blog post, after disabling all power management options for my GPU and CPU I can maintain 60 FPS at 1080p, 810 DoF with DoF blur 1, SMAA 4 and SSAO 2 -- at least in the areas I tested.

I'm honestly not a fan of most of the style changing texture mods released so far. The game has a very unique look. Personally I just use mods that improve the font/HUD resolution or the resolution of very low-res in-game textures (such as spiderwebs) while being faithful to the source material.

Thanks, great effort!

I think this power management could really be the reason, because watching the stats of my graphics card, it's barely used. Can you tell me how to disable power management for the CPU?

derwalde

on lowest settings my Q9450@3,8GHZ and my 6950 doesnt get stable 60fps at all. ;( (all power save options disabled)

seems my CPU misses raw power. anyway, great job as usual durante!

Well, now I have a choice to make:

1280x1080, 540 DOF, no SMAA or blur or SSAO, locked 60fps (unless I do something dumb like go to Blight Town), or 1920x1080, 810 DOF, everything turned on, and either locked 30fps or brainfucking constant switches between 30 and 60.

Argh.

(Amazing work, it's insane to see it consistently pulling out 60fps at all on my E7200.)

Thrakier

I go an i52500k @4.2ghz and a 660TI and it still drops quite frequently to 30 f.e. in the Darkroots Basin with these settings:

1080p
540DOF (1 scaling)
SMAA 4
SSAO 1

Using the 60FPS Fix from the other guy, durantes isnt working for me. My system is NOT running at full force with those settings, my temperatures all stay quite low, so I#m guessing max usage is around 50 to 75. Game should be running with 60FPS without any problem at normal circumstances. It's a pity it isn't and hopefully someone finds a fix because its *so* *much* *better*. But I have to say the constant switching between 60 and 30 is just so bad you don't wanna play it that way.

Top Bottom