• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

I'm going to wait a little bit to try the based Durante fix (until he irons all the kinks). However my question is how do you downsample? I've been reading the thread, and I get that people are multiplying the native resolutions of their monitors and then "downsampling." Is that a setting in the .ini file or do I need another program for that?

Varna

I'm going to wait a little bit to try the based Durante fix (until he irons all the kinks). However my question is how do you downsample? I've been reading the thread, and I get that people are multiplying the native resolutions of their monitors and then "downsampling." Is that a setting in the .ini file or do I need another program for that?

Notepad. That's all you need.

Glass Rebel

Bought the game even though I shouldn't support such a shoddy port but Durante just had to (mostly) fix it ;_;

Anyway, can't wait to play this game on a GTX670, the screens shown so far are beautiful.

Zzoram

The F9 to make the mouse cursor hide really doesn't work for me. Does it work for anyone else? Is there a trick to doing it?

EasyMode

In the ini file, set a higher resolution than your monitor. In the game, set the resolution to your monitor's, and now you've got supersampling.

The latest version pretty much dealt with the final kink (depth of field). Removing the 30fps lock seems unlikely at this point.

Seems like someone just fixed triple head resolutions over at wsgf.org

Looks awesome in conjunction with your fix Durante!!!

rwozfwhm.4i0.jpg

Razek

Banned
Whenever I tab into the game or load it up, yeah for like 1-2 seconds. I'm running off an SSD.

I still refuse to believe this game is only 3.8GB. D:

Seriously impressive. I was kind of shocked when I bought the game and saw that at the steam confirmation page.

Wouldn't it be a port from the 360 version, considering the button prompts?

Yeah. I only own I PS3 so I usually only refer to it as the definitive 'console'. I forget about the 360 sometimes.

Nabs

What are you waiting for exactly?

Durante

Isn't the blinking because the press is not debounced? At least that is what I thought.
Indeed. It's really messy. Just tap the F9 button lightly until the cursor is either visible or not, depending on what you want. I'll fix that in the next version.

What are you waiting for exactly?

I have no idea, but I just tried the glorious Durante fix and OMG HOLY SHIT!

Durante, dude, you fucking rock!

One question though, the HUD seems to not be on the edge of the screen anymore and more towards the center. Is there a way to fix this?

JVIDICAN

I have no idea, but I just tried the glorious Durante fix and OMG HOLY SHIT!

Durante, dude, you fucking rock!

One question though, the HUD seems to not be on the edge of the screen anymore and more towards the center. Is there a way to fix this?

Its always been like that.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Must say I am in AWE as well, just sent over $5.00 can't afford much more but wanted to say thanks! If I was reviewing this game in it's released form I would have given it a 7 due to the ugliness of the game alone. After applying your MOD I would say it's an instant 9.5 due to your improvements!

FROM software should honestly pay you something as you have sold more copies of this game than any of their PR has..

Thanks 1000x over man!

Rumble19

Durante I just want you to know that you have let me experience my favourite game of all time for what basically feels like the first time again. Thank you for that. I was bummed out when I thought I would never get to play this game at a visual fidelity that this incredible game deserves, any if it wasn't for you I might not have. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I'm so jealous of these screenshots. I wish I had a PC that could beast a resolution 4x that of my native, and play with SSAA.

These are glorious pictures, I really didn't know Dark Souls was that beautiful underneath the mid.

I just can't believe the difference. It's like it went from being a last gen game to a next gen in a matter of seconds. FROM should give a shout out to Durante for increasing their sales, hell they should give him a job to lead the Dark Souls 2 pc version.

1-D_FTW

I guess that is an artifact from the console version where the platform holders ask for it due to dumb people with overscan on their tv's.

Smart people are still rocking HD RP-CRT;) The dumb fucks are the platform holders who can't put a start-up GPU scaler calibration tool to force everyone to calibrate the overscan out and then just eliminate all the other stupid rules they have.

RedSwirl

Durante, do you have your own blog as well?

I see alot of sites talking about this linking to 'a modder's blog' and I was wondering if it's you and not someone stealing the thunder.

Also: What makes Dark Souls so good? I wonder if I should jump in on it.

It's a 1980's/early 90's dungeon crawler with today's graphics and controls.

Hey guys I'm have severe audio delay whole playing the game what could be the cause?

Specs:

i5 2500K 4.2ghz
Gtx 670 OCed
8gb ram

I am playing the game at 5120 x 2880 downsampled to 2560 x 1440.

Any help would be appreciated, I can't enjoy the game...

Diablos

From Software owes Durante big. Seriously. Look at how many people jumped ship because of their inability to make this game look right, now they're coming back.

I tip my hat.

jett

D-Member
The art direction of this game has scaled up really nicely to higher resolutions. I'm sure nobody thought it could look this good, not even the developers themselves hahaha. I wonder what does FROM think about this.

didamangi

Seems like someone just fixed triple head resolutions over at wsgf.org

Looks awesome in conjunction with your fix Durante!!!

Works with 16:10 resolution too. From bad port to almost perfect port with mods in just a couple of days. Oh, PC gaming.

You can download the fix for non 16:9 resolution here btw. Make sure you let the program update to get the dark souls fix.

Ok, i applied the new patch but I haveyet to see the DOF really. Does it still show up on your character if you are too close to a wall with the camera?

I have trouble noticing it (set to 1080 and non-scaled)

Durante

Ok, i applied the new patch but I haveyet to see the DOF really. Does it still show up on your character if you are too close to a wall with the camera?

I have trouble noticing it (set to 1080 and non-scaled)
if you're playing at 1080p you should set the DoF base resolution to 540 for an "authentic" experience. Larger values will reduce the effect.

scitek

One thing that's hilarious to me is that FROM, despite being one of the most ignorant PC developers ever, had the sense to put in a way to turn off the HUD. That's something I wish practically every developer would do, but many PC-centric developers don't even bother.

if you're playing at 1080p you should set the DoF base resolution to 540 for an "authentic" experience. Larger values will reduce the effect.

Thx for the reply Durante. I am going to donate to you this evening because you are a classy man who has done something that I greatly admire. Cheers.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome! Just used the fix and started a new game. The game looks great at 1920x1200.

Damn I love this game so much, and now it got even better!

One thing that's hilarious to me is that FROM, despite being one of the most ignorant PC developers ever, had the sense to put in a way to turn off the HUD. That's something I wish practically every developer would do, but many PC-centric developers don't even bother.

I also laugh at this. So good. Make this a keybind and the game is golden!

Ketch

Has anyone made it all the way through using the patch?

I'm thinking about purchasing the game, but only if I can play all the way through with this patch.

Raide

So torn on this. I think my PC can run it but not sure I will get to play online with all the hackers and modders around. I have a few friends on 360 that play this, so I would get teh chance to possibly team up. Get paid at the end of the month, so I will make a choice then.

i3-2100
4Gb RAM
Windows Vista 64
ATI 6850 clocked to 6870.

Not sure what I will get out of it but I also picked up a new 1080p monitor, so it would be nice to test something out on it. :D

After seeing all this work, if 720 drops next year, I would pay vast amounts of cash for an up-ressed version of Dark Souls before talk of Dark Souls 2.

Top Bottom