• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

The ini file in the new version has several settings at the default (off) including the one that enables supersampling and texture filtering. That could explain your performance boost.

Also, the inclusion of borderless windowed mode makes it much easier to get screens that show driver FXAA! Thanks for that, Durante.

Vaporak

Woah wtf, while tinkering around I opened task manager and saw gameoverlayui.exe taking up nearly 1/2 of my CPU resources o_O. That's the steam overlay right?

epmode

I occasionally get crashes as I transition from one area to another. The same thing happened to me in the PS3 game but it's more frequent here.

Grief.exe

Almost 30 hrs and not a single crash. I've used every release as they were made available. Maybe I'm just getting lucky.

40 hours here and one crash, though honestly probably not attributed to the game. My latest format of windows has been a little weird.

Thanks for the new version Durante, you should take a break and play some of the game on your spare time rather than updating the mod.

You can do that later, have some fun with the game you have made playable.

The Hermit

how do I know for sure that the SSAO is working?

yup, not working :/

I just followed this post
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41452645&postcount=2784
yet it won't work.

The only difference is that I have a 1680x1050 monitor and adjusted the resolution to that...

EDIT: Got it! I am using 1920x1200 ( in the .ini, Dark Souls option and monitor screen)

The only thing is that my framerate took a huge hit, and I have an i5 2500k and a GTX670. So I dunno what is going on now...

Psy-Phi

yup, not working :/

I just followed this post
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41452645&postcount=2784
yet it won't work.

The only difference is that I have a 1680x1050 monitor and adjusted the resolution to that...

EDIT: Got it! I am using 1920x1200 ( in the .ini, Dark Souls option and monitor screen)

The only thing is that my framerate took a huge hit, and I have an i5 2500k and a GTX670. So I dunno what is going on now...

Sounds like you're right where I am. I finally made both resolutions the same in the ini and the frame rate went nasty. The reason I had them set to 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 respectively was to keep the 16:9 appearance on my 16:10 screen while windowed.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? But the frame rate went to 15 in Firelink and around it. Ah the joys of gaming on PC :p. It will be worth it. I'm tweaking the settings now in nVidia inspector to see if they were just too crazy for my system to handle, even though the GPU is only at 70% load when the games playin with these settings.

ImRight

Almost 30 hrs and not a single crash. I've used every release as they were made available. Maybe I'm just getting lucky.

yeah I've put in a good 15 or so hours and none here, except for forgetting to turn AA off once and, having a huge problem with using DP on my 120hz (that was a headache)

wow, version 6 now? i haven't even tried 5 yet >.<

Out of interest, is there going to be a fix for people using Display-port/120z Monitors? i noticed in the "These settings are not for use" section that there is a Force Refresh rate option? i guess thought this isn't the problem, as the problem is not being able to set anything over 1024X720 in game with DP/120hz :-/ ......Just a thought, not a huge problem, just my PC starts acting a little funny sometimes having two cables attached to the same GPU.

Ledsen

I'm near the Taurus Demon, even when I run around in doors the framerate is bad.

Ok so in this exact place I get 15 FPS, even without the 4xMSAA and SSAO. I think Durante said earlier he was on a 660Ti, so really I should be able to match that IQ, unless my CPU is really dragging me down.

Same settings as you (1440p+1080 DOF), 2500k and 560Ti, constant 30 fps.

Jubbly

Sounds like you're right where I am. I finally made both resolutions the same in the ini and the frame rate went nasty. The reason I had them set to 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 respectively was to keep the 16:9 appearance on my 16:10 screen while windowed.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? But the frame rate went to 15 in Firelink and around it. Ah the joys of gaming on PC :p. It will be worth it. I'm tweaking the settings now in nVidia inspector to see if they were just too crazy for my system to handle, even though the GPU is only at 70% load when the games playin with these settings.

Try the Fable 3 AO bit.

Durante

I just upgraded from 0.3 to 0.5, and I seem to be getting a lot more crashes. Is this typical of everyone else's experience?
I've never had the game crash with any of the versions. It really shouldn't happen.

27 hours according to Steam and the game hasn't crashed once. Been upgrading every version along the way since the first minute of release.
Hmm haven't had a single crash in the game yet
Almost 30 hrs and not a single crash. I've used every release as they were made available.
Good to know I'm not the only one!

Out of interest, is there going to be a fix for people using Display-port/120z Monitors? i noticed in the "These settings are not for use" section that there is a Force Refresh rate option? i guess thought this isn't the problem, as the problem is not being able to set anything over 1024X720 in game with DP/120hz :-/ ......Just a thought, not a huge problem, just my PC starts acting a little funny sometimes having two cables attached to the same GPU.
Yeah, those settings were intended to fix that problem, but they cause some issues. I'll probably get back to it at some point.

Woah, I don't know why but the game is running noticeably better now with the latest version of the mod Durante. Gonna test a couple things and then report back.
Well, I did do some performance optimizations, and I also dismiss some DirectX calls that the game makes that for all I can tell just don't do anything. However, the most likely reason is the change in default settings.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I've never had the game crash with any of the versions. It really shouldn't happen.

Wonder what the problem was on my end with 0.5. All the other versions worked fine but I had to remove 0.5 and repair the game with Steam's integrity checker to get the game to stop crashing. I had tried doing it with a clean 0.5 multiple times and it definitely caused problems for some reason.

Durante

Are you sure that you didn't have any program running that does any kind of D3D injection? That seems to be the most common reason. Programs such as Afterburner, Xfire, or even the Mumble overlay (sadly, since I'd like to use that).

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Are you sure that you didn't have any program running that does any kind of D3D injection? That seems to be the most common reason. Programs such as Afterburner, Xfire, or even the Mumble overlay (sadly, since I'd like to use that).

Nope everything was the same from when I used 0.4 and tried closing out multiple things to get it working. (turning off steam overlay, modify settings, rebooting.) It somehow actually damaged the game and had to repair it when I put it back to 0.4 so it would take care of the random crashes. I figured that might have been the problem in the first place so I put 0.5 back on and the same problems for the most part except the game would actually boot from a save. The game would crash about 5-6 minutes of playtime every time though. I messed with it for an hour or two and alternated between 0.4 and 0.5 many times before just sticking to 0.4.

Now 0.6 works perfectly so I'm not sure went wrong for me there.

Andrea23

About triple buffering: I still don't fully understand how the game manages its FPS limit / presentation interval, and until I do I won't be able to do anything about things related to vsync.

Perfect, i understand.
So... i hope that you can solve this riddle : D.

KarmaCow

How well would an i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz and a 460 run this game at something higher than 1680x1050? I kinda want a game to dump time into before classes start and I talked myself out GW2 after hearing the performance issues and the fact that it's an MMO.

Perkel

Banned
Here's my Warrior.
SL40 first time Dark Souls player, having a blast.

Steam pics, so crappy quality:

Either you lie or use gamefaqs. Why would you use gamefaqs on your first time with Dark Souls ?.

It's like reading ending of good book. :/

dino1980

Go to Firelink and look at the shadowing in the foliage, i.e. this:

AA Off

data2012-08-2721-45-1gfji5.png

AA On

data2012-08-2721-43-0k4oni.png

This just put me over the top to go away from AMD and over to Nvidia. Im sick of how bad the drivers has been for 79000-series and how high my reference card sounds. Also how bad the whole thing is with this game (my favorite this gen) with the power saving thing that gives FPS drops.

So I ordered a Asus 670 DC2 and I am planing to sell my 7970-card.

Revoh

Either you lie or use gamefaqs. Why would you use gamefaqs on your first time with Dark Souls ?.

It's like reading ending of good book. :/

Huh? Is this supposed to be a joke because I don't get it.

It's not my first Souls game though, I played a lot of Demon's Souls.

This just put me over the top to go away from AMD and over to Nvidia. Im sick of how bad the drivers has been for 79000-series and how high my reference card sounds. Also how bad the whole thing is with this game (my favorite this gen) with the power saving thing that gives FPS drops.

So I ordered a Asus 670 DC2 and I am planing to sell my 7970-card.

While I agree AMD has had pretty junk Drivers the last few years(from the little I've read on the subject.), maybe don't count them out yet? I know they are having a pretty big hand in a few of the bigger games coming out this year, I know they have a hand in the upcoming Hitman. I've always used Nvidia, as while, I've usually payed a bit more, I find I generally get great driver support. I've always been satisfied. I sat on a GTX 9800 for a few years, then jump shipped to GTX 460 sli, that lasted me 2 1/2ish years, and now am on a 680, I know that'll last me another few.

Haunted

Using the wiki with a Souls game is like reading the manual, not like reading the ending of a book, get your analogies right. :p

Ohhh, of course. I've never looked up there before :p
And even if you did, you wouldn't have been able to tell with the game's original resolution + DoF quality. :p

dino1980

While I agree AMD has had pretty junk Drivers the last few years(from the little I've read on the subject.), maybe don't count them out yet? I know they are having a pretty big hand in a few of the bigger games coming out this year, I know they have a hand in the upcoming Hitman. I've always used Nvidia, as while, I've usually payed a bit more, I find I generally get great driver support. I've always been satisfied. I sat on a GTX 9800 for a few years, then jump shipped to GTX 460 sli, that lasted me 2 1/2ish years, and now am on a 680, I know that'll last me another few.

Not so intrested in Hitman. The games I play has most of it has been supported by Nvidia. There are so much problem with these drivers for me this generation.

These are some of my problems;

- Sound to the reciever stops working after a while when not playing.
- Sound to the reciever jumps back and forth every second from DTS 5.1 to looseless in windows, not in games.
- Frameratedrops with mirroring screens.
- Sound is pretty high. Can here it loud and clear 20 feet away from the other room when playing.
- Problem with performance issues in some games
- Some games not starting because of the card.

Didnt have these problem with my 6970-card. So instead of trying to put on an bether fan for lowering the sound of the card and doing alot of research on how to solve all my problems, its just easier to buy a new card and sell the other one. It evens out more or less because I dont have to buy a new fan.

1-D_FTW

Ah. So you have to turn a 120hz monitor down to 60hz to get it to work properly? How is anyone playing in 3D then? That would be horrible refresh rate for the glasses.

In Durante we trust. Since it seems to be on his to-do list, I have faith he'll sort that issue out well before I pick the game up:)

JoeFenix

I dont get why this game keeps dropping to 15fps for me even though I have a gtx 690 with a 3770k @ 4.5ghz. It doesn't make any sense, I've tried so many different things and the performance is always super inconsitent.

People here claiming they play the game at a rock solid 30fps at ridiculous resolutions and I can't get it to work steady at 3840x2160 with no extra AA or SSAO. I don't get what the problem is at all, even in 1920x1080 it slows down in the same spots.

My machine is running insanely fast with every other game or benchmark I've tried, anyone having similar issues?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I dont get why this game keeps dropping to 15fps for me even though I have a gtx 690 with a 3770k @ 4.5ghz. It doesn't make any sense, I've tried so many different things and the performance is always super inconsitent.

People here claiming they play the game at a rock solid 30fps at ridiculous resolutions and I can't get it to work steady at 3840x2160 with no extra AA or SSAO. I don't get what the problem is at all, even in 1920x1080 it slows down in the same spots.

My machine is running insanely fast with every other game or benchmark I've tried, anyone having similar issues?

I think that's because some people have a different definition of "rock solid". If I'd benchmark the game running for an hour straight my avg fps would probably be 30.000, problem is that I still get dips during specific scenarios like a lot of fire or similar effects on the screen ( like resting at a bonfire for example ) but they are few and far between.

JoeFenix

I think that's because some people have a different definition of "rock solid". If I'd benchmark the game running for an hour straight my avg fps would probably be 30.000, problem is that I still get dips during specific scenarios like a lot of fire or similar effects on the screen ( like resting at a bonfire for example ) but they are few and far between.

I am getting 15 fps for large stretches of time in the DLC content for some reason, even in areas with no particle effects or much of anything going on. I really don't get how this game could run this slow on my rig...

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I am getting 15 fps for large stretches of time in the DLC content for some reason, even in areas with no particle effects or much of anything going on. I really don't get how this game could run this slow on my rig...

I've had times where my fps cuts to 15 and stays there for no apparent reason whatsoever. Tabbing in and out suddenly fixed it...

I guess in the end this ain't a game where solid performance ( solid in the truest sense ) is anything to be expected regardless of settings or rig.

Card Boy

Banned
Heads up Durante, Totalbiscuit is working on the WTF is of Dark Souls PC and your mod is going to feature in it. Expect that Paypal cash to spike up once that vid hits lol.

Haunted

A mod needs to give Durante his tag already, I mean good lord, what does it take to get a man what he deserves around here?

This thread has so many views compared to its post count, we're having interviews around the web mentioning GAF, so many happy players, I mean, c'mon.

I've had times where my fps cuts to 15 and stays there for no apparent reason whatsoever. Tabbing in and out suddenly fixed it...

I guess in the end this ain't a game where solid performance ( solid in the truest sense ) is anything to be expected regardless of settings or rig.

I was experiencing a lot of that day 1 but it was being caused by my card dropping into a low power mode. It was really frustrating trying to figure out what was going on because the GPU usage would suddenly drop to 0% during those drops. That seemed to be an AMD specific issue, though.

I haven't reached the DLC areas yet so I don't know how those will play out. I have had drops during certain events and a severe issue in Blighttown, when I faced a specific direction, that forced me to disable AF in DSFix.

All this just makes me wish that an outside PC developer would be hired to comb through the actual source code and look for optimization opportunities. The game is still frustratingly held back by technical issues.

Heads up Durante, Totalbiscuit is working on the WTF is of Dark Souls PC and your mod is going to feature in it. Expect that Paypal cash to spike up once that vid hits lol.

That's good news. He does have a captive audience.

Not so intrested in Hitman. The games I play has most of it has been supported by Nvidia. There are so much problem with these drivers for me this generation.

These are some of my problems;

- Sound to the reciever stops working after a while when not playing.
- Sound to the reciever jumps back and forth every second from DTS 5.1 to looseless in windows, not in games.
- Frameratedrops with mirroring screens.
- Sound is pretty high. Can here it loud and clear 20 feet away from the other room when playing.
- Problem with performance issues in some games
- Some games not starting because of the card.

Didnt have these problem with my 6970-card. So instead of trying to put on an bether fan for lowering the sound of the card and doing alot of research on how to solve all my problems, its just easier to buy a new card and sell the other one. It evens out more or less because I dont have to buy a new fan.

Well, AMD introduced some major HDMI audio issues when in 2D mode (anything not gaming) with their 12.6 driver and it still exists in their 12.8 driver. The apparent solution is to override the clock speeds when the card is in low usage, which I'm not willing to do. It sounds like Nvidia has HDMI audio issues of their own. Why is it so hard to get right?

Wanny

Any less agressive working AO than Skyrim's one? While Skyrim AO is good, it's always been an overly darknening AO. I prefer something less striking.

Fallout 3 doesn't really work.

TheExodu5

Banned

You sure you didn't accidentally start a FRAPS record?

It might be a good idea to change the default key for disabling the mouse pointer, just in case.

Well, AMD introduced some major HDMI audio issues when in 2D mode (anything not gaming) with their 12.6 driver and it still exists in their 12.8 driver. The apparent solution is to override the clock speeds when the card is in low usage, which I'm not willing to do. It sounds like Nvidia has HDMI audio issues of their own. Why is it so hard to get right?

What, really? I'll have to remember to explicitly disable the automatic driver update on the HTPC then when I finally plug it back in this month. I already updated the driver on my main PC, figuring it couldn't hurt (ughhh) but I guess I'm OK since I don't actually use HDMI output from the card?

Top Bottom