• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Jeramii

Banned
I know I'm stating the obvious... But great work. This is exciting!

Hopefully everything is safe on the GFWL end of things. I finally purchased my copy after reading of your works. :)

Durante

Please don't do too much From bashing in this thread. I know I've done my fair share of it before, but it's not really productive and doesn't help anyone.

Feel free to engage in Namco-Bandai bashing though!

The upgrade is pretty obvious, just compare to this:

tqr13.png

Grief.exe

My suggestion for comparison shots:

1024*720 upscaled to 1080p.
Native 1080p.
2560*1440 downscaled to 1080p.

I would go even more obvious so it is easier to make the distinction.

Go 1024*720 upscaled to 1440p
native 1440p

Then it will be obvious to spot the difference.

scitek

If FROM intentionally locked the frame buffer to deliver an "equal experience" across all platforms, is there any chance they could douchily patch the game to break this fix?

iNvid02

Only if they really want to pay the Microsoft fee.

ms to the rescue lol

now that its been deemed playable i do want to pick this up, but i sure as hell am not giving FROM anywhere near full price for this game

and i dont know if FROM will participate in steam sales for a while, so i guess i'll wait until retail slowly brings the dvd price down

good job again durante

Durante

I'm flabbergasted (in a positive way) that two or three people donated before I even put up a download. Thanks a lot, you are awesome.

If FROM intentionally locked the frame buffer to deliver an "equal experience" across all platforms, is there any chance they could douchily patch the game to break this fix?
I really don't think they did that, you're a bit too paranoid.

And even if they did, I believe that trying to prevent this would be more effort than they'd care to put into it.

Made a donation too. The thing may not be perfect yet but it's already a huge improvement and I appreciate the effort.

Another proof that PC gaming is fantastic. Or its community. Or both.

Corto

Durante needs an awesome tag STAT.

Watch Namco snatch this and launch it as an "official HD patch" in a few days.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Durante, marry me.

Someone should try to force MSAA (not FXAA, does not need more blur) on the top instead of the downscale we are seeing in the OP.

Tain

Durante's fix shots are clearly an improvement, but yeah, there's definitely something else going on. Very understandable if that something else (looks like some edge softening action? I'm not caught up on all this fake AA stuff) is a pain/too tough to get rid of, though.

LastWindow said:
PC gamers have come to expect more on the technical side of games. It's fine if things like low resolutions and terrible frame rate don't bother a person, though.

You're assuming that I don't play a ton of games on my PC and that I'm not bothered by low resolutions or horrible framerates! They do bug me, for sure. Initially. There's a period where I'm almost distracted by how much I want more, where I wish the game would just be running on my beast of a PC at 60fps and drenched in AA. But if there is no choice, I get over it quickly enough. I won't miss out on masterpieces due to having to blow up, say, a 720p Platinum game to my monitor's resolution. The fact that a great game is on a console is ultimately a flaw, but not one that has, on its own, ruined a game for me. And it should be obvious that if someone would ignore a game due to its resolution, they weren't all that interested in it in the first place.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Looking forward to some more direct comparisons to point out more clearly.

Respect, Durante. Hobbyists doing what salary-men seemingly can't should often be far more of a wake up call to the industry than it ever really is. Congrats.

Grief.exe

Someone should try to force MSAA (not FXAA, does not need more blur) on the top instead of the downscale we are seeing in the OP.

Might be able to force MSAA and SS in Nvidia Inspector with Dirt profiles, same engine.

That is probably what is causing some of the blurry textures in those shots, maybe a mix of motion blur and FXAA.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Won't this make some areas look worse? I can't imagine a lot of the game's textures looking great at 2990x1900 or whatever.

Durante

Added one more FAQ entry to OP:
Why is it still blurry?
I don't know at this point in time. It's already clear that there is a lot more detail and less aliasing using an increased framebuffer resolution -- as you would expect! -- but there is some residual blur. I'm trying to work out if this is due to my method or something inherent in the game. I will certainly continue working on this.

Also:
Won't this make some areas look worse? I can't imagine a lot of the game's textures looking great at 2990x1900 or whatever.
The textures will never look worse. They may not look much better though.

scitek

I really don't think they did that, you're a bit too paranoid.

And even if they did, I believe that trying to prevent this would be more effort than they'd care to put into it.

Well, I know at least one article from Gamescom claimed that's why FROM said they locked it, so I'm just going by that. I forgot about the limited patches with GFWL, though, so I think we're probably safe. Thanks, Durante, Namco owes you some compensation if this leads to more sales.

Revenile

Durante, do you have an eta to when the first version will be placed for download? Hopefully within the next 10 hours right, at least for the US people like me who have to wait midnight pst for the game.

Top Bottom