• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Durante

Great job man! Should have the download link only visible by quote or something for the first hour. Give members a chance to grab it before it gets hammered to hell. Unless you think wherever its being hosted can handle it of course. :p
The file is 80KB. I think (hope?) my hosting can handle it.

itI9HGuxiVkM0.gif

Despera

Banned
But isn't this considered cheating?

They release a game after a half-ass'd porting effort and modders do the job for them?

Mugaaz

This is what's tearing me between buying this and not buying this. I had zero intention of buying this at launch even though I'm a huge fan of Demon's Souls precisely because of this crap. Now that it's getting fixed I'm extremely tempted to jump now but I'm essentially just giving FROM an extra sale now that's not at all deserved.

If only I could buy the game proper for like 10 dollars and give the rest to Durante. He's really the reason why I'd buy the game now if I do jump on it.

I don't understand this at all. The game is fucking amazing. How does that not deserve a sale in and of itself? Yeah the graphics are crap, so what? The game is amazing, thats why you should buy it, you're not funding crappy PC ports, you're funding a great game made by a small developer. Yeah the port sucks ass, but how is that important in the scheme of things is beyond me? I can play 50million games that have been ported over to the PC better than Dark Souls. However, I cannot play a single game on the PC that's better than Dark Souls. THAT is why I'm buying the game.

Have you beaten the tutorial boss with the mod yet, Durante? That's a massive enemy that could tax the mod a little bit. I think if you can make it through all of that, without issue, the rest of the game should be fine.

goodfella

I don't understand this at all. The game is fucking amazing. How does that not deserve a sale in and of itself? Yeah the graphics are crap, so what? The game is amazing, thats why you should buy it, you're not funding crappy PC ports, you're funding a great game made by a small developer. Yeah the port sucks ass, but how is that important in the scheme of things is beyond me? I can play 50million games that have been ported over to the PC better than Dark Souls. However, I cannot play a single game on the PC that's better than Dark Souls. THAT is why I'm buying the game.

So they made the whole game, and they deserve no money for it.

This is what's tearing me between buying this and not buying this. I had zero intention of buying this at launch even though I'm a huge fan of Demon's Souls precisely because of this crap. Now that it's getting fixed I'm extremely tempted to jump now but I'm essentially just giving FROM an extra sale now that's not at all deserved.

If only I could buy the game proper for like 10 dollars and give the rest to Durante. He's really the reason why I'd buy the game now if I do jump on it.

then buy the console version of dark souls and buy the dlc when it comes out later

Caved and bought it. Yeah, I shouldn't expect this to work on the entire game, but I'm willing to take the risk. I'll throw money at Durante's Paypal to make myself feel better :p

kafiend

Each sale is funding a great developer that did a shit job of porting a great game and sends totally the wrong message.

A fantastic contribution to our community. Really deserving of a tag of appreciation in my opinion. I can't think of any member producing such a quick fix to a game, making something fundamentally broken into something lovely. Absolutely outstanding work Durnate.

Orayn

PRAISE THE SUN! \o/

Each sale is funding a great developer that did a shit job of porting a great game and sends totally the wrong message.

I care more about playing Dark Souls at my monitor's native res than I do about sending the wrong message. :p

I agree with this. Every purchase tells the industry "oh just throw it out there and let them sort it out".

But at the same time, we now have an apparently outstanding game that, thanks to community help, is looking amazing on PC. I can understand that people want to pay for and play this.

Its an unfortunate dilemma. No one should feel shame in wanting to play a great game of course, but purchases send a message, and I don't think I will give them money for this at present.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
PRAISE THE SUN! \o/

I care more about playing Dark Souls at my monitor's native res than I do about sending the wrong message. :p

Yes and no. I will continue to rake From and Bamco through the coals for this. UNLESS we see them pay or do something nice for Durante (pending this fix works), there will be no real justice and I still advise anyone to vote with your wallet ><

Jeramii

Banned

to be fair though. the fact the game was fixed by a fan before release is a burn that no amount of ice will fix. hopefully they'll have learned their lesson so they don't lose their good name more than it's already been tarnished.

Kade

I can't remember the last time I bought or didn't buy a game to "send a message".

Of all the things that you could be an activist for, you chose video games.

So can someone check out ways of adding AA when DS unlocks? Someone else suggested checking out the Dirt 3 (same engine) profile in NVinspector...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
something great is happening, yet here's the shame patrol in full force

I caved in but there should be shame. As Mama said, this is an unfortunate dilemma. Sad state but a great game is a great game. I would not have bought it if not for Durante's fix though so I hope he comes through :p

I'm not happy. The residual blur is pretty bad at higher resolutions.

Time to panic and call GMG stat!

M3d10n

I think I know why it's still blurry: the internal framebuffer's texels don't match the screen pixels, even if both have the same resolution. This can cause some significant blurriness (because each pixel will blend against it's neighbor).

Durante

I think I know why it's still blurry: the internal framebuffer's texels don't match the screen pixels, even if both have the same resolution. This can cause some significant blurriness (because each pixel will blend against it's neighbor).
That was my first idea, but it happens even with a 1 : 1 mapping. It could be related to how the buffers are sampled when scaling.

Top Bottom