• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Zomba13

I tried to buy this from GMG last night because of the fix and GMG wouldn't let me. It just wouldn't go though with the order. I think GMG are punishing me for asking to cancel the order and now being all 'well you said you didn't want it so you can't have it'.

I tried to buy this from GMG last night because of the fix and GMG wouldn't let me. It just wouldn't go though with the order. I think GMG are punishing me for asking to cancel the order and now being all 'well you said you didn't want it so you can't have it'.

There is a bug in their system. IF you cancelled your preorder you will not be able to order it again. I and several others had the same problem. Your only choice is to create a separate account.

luiztfc

That clean looking reflection. :)

Awesome! What class are you playing?

Revoh

Can someone explain me how to choose my resolution if I intend to do downsampling?

I'm currently using a HD6870 1GB, the game looks nice at 1920 x 1080 but it could be better.
I tried this
Code:
# internal rendering resolution of the game
# higher values will decrease performance
renderWidth 3840
renderHeight 2160

I just doubled the resolution and the game look absolutely stunning now, but the performance isn't good. My CPU is a 2500k if that matters.

Vitor711

Darn game, the maximum fps is 30 outside of gameplay; while playing the peak is 15 fps shown by Fraps. Is Dark Souls unplayable on Nvidia laptops?

What should I change in this file, Darksouls.ini?

[DisplaySetting]
WindowMode = 0
[DisplaySettingWindow]
Left = 0
Top = 0
Width = 1920
Height = 1080
[DisplaySettingFullScreen]
Width = 1920
Height = 1080
ColorDepth = 32
Format = 7
RefreshRate = 60
[DisplaySettingFilter]
Blur = 0
Antialiasing = 0
ForceDisableAA = 0

Edit: Sorry for multiple post, but the game does not play very smoothly :(

I feel that - have similar performance issues which I assumed was due to my low end i7 but seems like no mobile users are having a good experience with this.

The Lamp

So this fixes the resolution problems...yay! The framerate is still locked, though, right?

Well at least we're halfway to having Dark Souls PC be what it should be :)

Zeliard

Works with 16:10 resolution too. From bad port to almost perfect port with mods in just a couple of days. Oh, PC gaming.

You can download the fix for non 16:9 resolution here btw. Make sure you let the program update to get the dark souls fix.

Im getting crashes with this tool, it works but it crashes the game after 5 seconds, it looks so good at 16:10!!!! :(

Ditto, it inevitably crashes after a few moments.

Vitor711

It depends. It will look sharper at 1080p, but it would be more authentically blurred (and slightly better performing) at 540p. Your choice. (I use 1080p in almost the same situation)

If there are any people with Optimus around, please test this:
http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=120

It seems like it's a lot of mobile cards that are having issues with the game. Don't think it's an issue on your end. Even non-Optimus users (myself included) are having highly variable FPS issues.

But Nvidia hasn't released a mobile driver in months and I sincerely doubt that From Software even tested this on mobile GPUs. It's a damned shame as some of us move around too often to invest in a real desktop.

MUCH better, thanks!

How do you came up with that resolution? I would like to know if that's ok.

All you do is multiply your in game resolution by whatever number you want. As long as both sides are the same multiple it works fine. So multiple by 1.5, 1.6, etc. 2 and over are pretty demanding, though.

Zeliard

MUCH better, thanks!

That one is a standard 16:9 resolution. Aspect ratios work as a ratio of width to height, and 2560x1440 = 16:9 = 1.77:1. The width is roughly 1.77 times the height. Use multiples of your native resolution if you want to experiment.

Haunted

MUCH better, thanks!

It's the next common 16:9 resolution after 1920x1080. I think WQHD is the official term or something.

dat clarity! Are you playing at 16bit? Colouring looks a bit weird, but maybe I'm just imagining things. I think the lightning effect looks better in stills than in motion, never really liked it in-game. :lol

Zomba13

There is a bug in their system. IF you cancelled your preorder you will not be able to order it again. I and several others had the same problem. Your only choice is to create a separate account.

Aww that sucks. I wanted to use the £2 I had in random free games. Oh well.

All bought and I used my own referral link so I got £2 credit on my actual GMG account. Looking forward to seeing the new stuff.

Sullichin

It's the next common 16:9 resolution after 1920x1080. I think WQHD is the official term or something.

dat clarity! Are you playing at 16bit? Colouring looks a bit weird, but maybe I'm just imagining things. I think the lightning effect looks better in stills than in motion, never really liked it in-game. :lol

You're right, I was in 16 bit... just changed it back. Not sure why that happened, pretty sure it was on 32 bit before. Must have changed it without realizing.

Zomba13

Preparing to die right now. Little over half a GB down. Think I might try and set things up so I can use my PS3 pad. Don't know how I'd like using a 360 pad for this game.

Wanny

Preparing to die right now. Little over half a GB down. Think I might try and set things up so I can use my PS3 pad. Don't know how I'd like using a 360 pad for this game.

Motioninjoy.
Plug PS3 controller.
Load drivers into it.
Enable the controller with X360 pad emulation.
???
profit

Yeah, forcing AA through RadeonPro doesn't seem to make a visual difference for me, unless I missing something. I'm sure MLAA works but I'd rather not use the smear filter.

Durante

I've looked into the "disappearing sun" issue and it's really strange. Sometimes it happens, sometimes is fine, and I can't discern any pattern to it. No idea when or even if I can fix it at this point.

Does the DOF fix work only with the resolutions specified in the ReadMe, or can I put 900?
Try it :p
Only those resolutions work, others lead to "interesting" artifacts

Zeliard

I've looked into the "disappearing sun" issue and it's really strange. Sometimes it happens, sometimes is fine, and I can't discern any pattern to it. No idea when or even if I can fix it at this point.

Just admit that it's a nefarious, underhanded campaign to hold down the glory that is Solaire.

mash440

Neo Member
I'm still having problems with slowdown.

Set with the internal buffer to 1080p and up-scaling to 1440p, it runs at 30Hz all the time, that is until I've been playing for about 30 minutes or so. After that it progressively gets worse, until its no longer playable. Quiting to the main menu, and loading doesn't help, the entire program needs to be shut off and reloaded.

It seems there might be a memory leak somewhere or something. I'm using an AMD 7950, so there shouldn't be an issue with horsepower, especially not at 1080.

LordCanti

Do you Nvidia 3D vision?

Works for me perfectly with no artifacts beyond a 2D HUD

Yep, 3D through Nvision/3DTV Play (on my ST30 Panny Plasma). I didn't see an option in game for 3D, so I guess I need to force it in the Nvidia control panel?

From Y U NO told us you mak awsum texturez

It's amazing that they bothered, considering the low forced res. Maybe they just assumed Durante would fix it in the first half hour?

1-D_FTW

Yep, 3D through Nvision/3DTV Play (on my ST30 Panny Plasma). I didn't see an option in game for 3D, so I guess I need to force it in the Nvidia control panel?

It's amazing that they bothered, considering the low forced res. Maybe they just assumed Durante would fix it in the first half hour?

Very few games have in-game 3D options. You should be able to just run it like you usually do for 3D Play games.

And has been mentioned before, use:

http://helixmod.blogspot.com/

He's made it better. Seriously, if you're a big 3D gamer, bookmark his site. He does really good work at fixing games that need a little help.

LordCanti

Background look like late 90's/early 00's FMV's. :eek:

Their marble texture could definitely use some work. It's a pretty stark contrast from the nicer textures posted above.

I mainly posted that SS for the DOF though. I'd say that the DOF makes as big of an impact as the increased resolution. If you up res and not DOF, the background still looks like an ugly mess.

Edit: This shows it well (late game area spoiler) http://www.abload.de/img/data2012-08-2516-07-249uu9.png

The background is nice, but then you see that hideous marble texture in the foreground, and it kind of ruins it.

Very few games have in-game 3D options. You should be able to just run it like you usually do for 3D Play games.

He's made it better. Seriously, if you're a big 3D gamer, bookmark his site. He does really good work at fixing games that need a little help.

I'll check that out. Thanks.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Playing with internal res at 1920x1080 and DOF at 540, the framerate is totally smooth. If I crank up the res even slightly for some downsampling it chugs badly. Any ideas for tweaks that might help or is this just maybe all my hardware can do? Anyone with similar specs had more success?

Phenom 955 @ 3.2 and a 560Ti.

I can play fine with it at 1080, just wanted to squeeze some more if possible :)

Zomba13

Bookmark'd

I really need to play more games in 3D. I've gotten so used to gaming in headphones though and the glasses don't fit well with them.

1-D_FTW

I really need to play more games in 3D. I've gotten so used to gaming in headphones though and the glasses don't fit well with them.

:lol I know that. I use Sennheiser HD 280s and they have an incredibly tight fit. I think I may have finally developed calluses behind my ears because the plastic from the glasses no longer pains me.

Top Bottom