• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

mash440

Neo Member
Damn, I'm looking into a new card, just wanted to hear how it was running with that one.

The new 660 Ti's are looking really good, and most of the positive feedback from this game comes from Nvidea owners.

I would normally say that buying a card based on a single game is stupid... but this game is DARK SOULS

Zomba13

Well just got in and it's running fine in the cell at 1680x1050 lol.
Gonna put Fraps on to see the frame rate for the opening tutorial.

EDIT: didn't play much past the Asylum but it was a solid 30 throughout on my GTX285 playing with the fix at my native res with the DOF fix on the 540 setting. Forgot to try it in 3D and cba right now.

Just tried 0.4, still early in the game but the performance is looking good for me. GTX 670 internal resolution at 2560x1440, DOF at 1080, Filtering Override at 2 (16x AF I believe?). 30 FPS during gameplay/bonfire, 15 FPS during Dragon fire bridge (ok with that since your FPS don't matter a whole lot as you aren't actively fighting anyway).

Can anyone tell me what the most demanding section of the game seems to be? Right now I'm just adjusting under the assumption that if I'm at 30 during bonfire use I should be OK.

P.S. Many thanks Durante! with the DOF fix this is easily one of the prettiest games I've played on my new PC.
Are you guys able to alt-tab?
Its a bit iffy for me, sometimes my screen goes white with a black section in the left upper corner, sometimes it lets me alt-tab properly.

Psy-Phi

Just tried 0.4, still early in the game but the performance is looking good for me. GTX 670 internal resolution at 2560x1440, DOF at 1080, Filtering Override at 2 (16x AF I believe?). 30 FPS during gameplay/bonfire, 15 FPS during Dragon fire bridge (ok with that since your FPS don't matter a whole lot as you aren't actively fighting anyway).

Can anyone tell me what the most demanding section of the game seems to be? Right now I'm just adjusting under the assumption that if I'm at 30 during bonfire use I should be OK.

P.S. Many thanks Durante! with the DOF fix this is easily one of the prettiest games I've played on my new PC.

Its a bit iffy for me, sometimes my screen goes white with a black section in the left upper corner, sometimes it lets me alt-tab properly.

Most demanding still seems to be Blighttown. My poor q9550 @ 3.2GHz and GTX570 went to 15FPS there running 2560x shrunk to 1920x. Reminded me of playin on the PS3 :(.

But I haven't played all the way through again yet, but so far, that was the worst, runnin around the Forest's now.

Are you guys able to alt-tab?

I alt-tab just fine, but I'm playing in a window 1080p window in my 1200p desktop, using ShiftWindow or Game Window Relocator you can eliminate the bar. Win 7 doesnt let apps go over the start menu if their title bar is off-screen though, so I adjusted the rez to be just above that.

I alt-tab just fine, but I'm playing in a window 1080p window in my 1200p desktop, using ShiftWindow or Game Window Relocator you can eliminate the bar. Win 7 doesnt let apps go over the start menu if their title bar is off-screen though, so I adjusted the rez to be just above that.

I use this utility with Windows 7 and it does Borderless Windowed mode perfectly. Give that a try and it's definitely something worth checking for anyone who wants faster more reliable alt-tabbing.

It has an .ini file with a handful of games .exe that trigger it automatically. I remove those entries and I just use the Ctrl-Enter hotkey after I launch the game (in Dark Souls case I wait until the GFWL sign in popup appears). I always have the thing sitting in my tray and it works for almost every game I've tried. Just setting the game in Windowed mode and set the resolution to your native resolution then hit Ctrl+enter and boom pixel perfect borderless windowed mode.

It's incredibly useful since so few games have a borderless windowed mode and it's far and away the best solution because it's the best of both worlds.

D3RANG3D

I tried playing it with the the kb/m and it seems to minimize it when you hit the keyboard keys, I am using the fix and that borderless window any thoughts? I have been using a controller I just made another character to dick around with kb/m.

Caelus

For some using, using any resolution lower than 640x720 breaks the game, causing it to crash on startup.

I want to be able to run this game on my shitty laptop with Intel HD 3000. I already have a higher end pc, I just want to run it on this for the hell of it.

ArynCrinn

Banned
it seems the game does not support SLI, cannot force SLI through NVDA control panel either...

Hmm, what cards are you running? I'm running 690SLI, but I didn't try to force anything and didn't even check either, just ran the game with the fix, but no problems here.

LordCanti

Hmm, what cards are you running? I'm running 690SLI, but I didn't try to force anything and didn't even check either, just ran the game with the fix, but no problems here.

Depending on the resolution and settings, one 690 is probably more than enough power for the game. You'd be hard pressed to notice the difference, since it's locked to 30FPS.

I've got a 580, and there are very few issues at 5000x3000 (the 1920x0180 multiple in that range anyway)/1080p displayed, with DOF and AA cranked all the way up.

FtsH

Damn what are your settings? Gorgeous.

here is the DSfix.ini:

renderWidth 5120
renderHeight 2880
dofOverrideResolution 2880
disableDofScaling 0
filteringOverride 2
logLevel 0

turned off in game AA, use FXAA+2xMSAA from NVDA control panel. Let's hope FROM release a high-res texture pack..(just me dreaming, never mind)

I have 680SLI but like I said the game does not support SLI so we are seeing one 680's performance. fps does drop below 20 during some fight. Maybe 690 can keep it a solid 30.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Depending on the resolution and settings, one 690 is probably more than enough power for the game. You'd be hard pressed to notice the difference, since it's locked to 30FPS.

I've got a 580, and there are very few issues at 5000x3000 (the 1920x0180 multiple in that range anyway)/1080p displayed, with DOF and AA cranked all the way up.

Yeah, I'm just running one monitor with the fix at 1080p. Think it goes as high as 2560 x 1600 or something, but I usually just set the res at 1080p because I'm used to my old monitor. =P I should probably just go full res though...

I have 680SLI but like I said the game does not support SLI so we are seeing one 680's performance. fps does drop below 20 during some fight. Maybe 690 can keep it a solid 30.

Nah, I caught FRAPS dropping down to 26fps in a particular area, and occasional 28-29 drops here and there. So even on my setup at a mere 1080p we're seeing fps drops. Now I'm guessing if I crank my res to max this would get worse...

But I had no idea it didn't support SLI.

For some using, using any resolution lower than 640x720 breaks the game, causing it to crash on startup.

I want to be able to run this game on my shitty laptop with Intel HD 3000. I already have a higher end pc, I just want to run it on this for the hell of it.

lowest I seen is 512x360.

Sif looks kind of strange but still cool

http://i.minus.com/i7nFxcn5DJqiq.png

Did anyone's framerate start to bottom out in the Sif battle? When I had it at 3840x2400 I was getting single digits whenever I was underneath Sif, and I still only got around 15 when I lowered it to 1920x1200.

Also I have a 570GTX and a i7930 (still at 2.8GHz). Does anyone think that if I overclock it to at least 3.4GHz, I'd see any better performance?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Also I have a 570GTX and a i7930 (still at 2.8GHz). Does anyone think that if I overclock it to at least 3.4GHz, I'd see any better performance?

Probably, the game seems very CPU intensive more than anything else. None of my GPU's have gotten hotter than 45c running the game with the fans at 50%. My Q9400 (@2.66GHz) experienced drops down to 20 or so, with a GTX460, but I didn't play as far as Sif.

They need to patch some GPU acceleration into the game. =P

I have been doing a test run on a i5 Toshiba Satellite, which I believe has the 3000 and it has been a pleasant surprise for the most part, all things considered. Was a console replica before fix. 0.3 was dreamy and 0.4 is a little more dreamy. Both are set to 1366x768 with the default corresponding setting's in Durante's miracle cure. Spent a lot of time so far in Firelink/Burg/Basin/Forest and the most unplayable area was upstairs in the the Parish. Once I took out the non-respawners in the building, it was slightly less taxing.

30fps is only for menus, with a majority locked @15, unless there is a pronounced source of fire. Lightning hasn't made a mess yet, though even a wall of torches can slightly upset the flow for a moment. Backing out of a room for a few seconds, or the standard luring them out one by one makes it more tolerable. The Bell Gargoyles went much more smoothly than I was anticipating. It didn't affect the fight at all once I stop babying my stain of souls and humanity and sticking to the entrance side. Hasn't crashed once in 20 hours, though gameplay being affected here and there with this setup is inevitable.

Only thing out of the ordinary after the fixes was a stray line here and there through company logos. If the laptop was my only option I could certainly live with it, as opposed to not being able to see it like never before because Durante is such a beautiful man. I'm no technician, though things seem to run more smoothly as I have leveled up and require less attack in these low challenge areas.

Got to Blighttown and took my first real frame rate hit :( Luckily it's not constantly low like it is on consoles, it is a strange drop however. I'll spin the camera 360 degrees at the first bonfire in Blighttown and it'll be 30 until I hit one spot where it drops to 15 every time. But if I walk even a few steps towards the area that causes the FPS drop, it jumps back up to 30.

Still, a giant leap over how the consoles performed in that area.

Cyrano

I have been doing a test run on a i5 Toshiba Satellite, which I believe has the 3000 and it has been a pleasant surprise for the most part, all things considered. Was a console replica before fix. 0.3 was dreamy and 0.4 is a little more dreamy. Both are set to 1366x768 with the default corresponding setting's in Durante's miracle cure. Spent a lot of time so far in Firelink/Burg/Basin/Forest and the most unplayable area was upstairs in the the Parish. Once I took out the non-respawners in the building, it was slightly less taxing.

30fps is only for menus, with a majority locked @15, unless there is a pronounced source of fire. Lightning hasn't made a mess yet, though even a wall of torches can slightly upset the flow for a moment. Backing out of a room for a few seconds, or the standard luring them out one by one makes it more tolerable. The Bell Gargoyles went much more smoothly than I was anticipating. It didn't affect the fight at all once I stop babying my stain of souls and humanity and sticking to the entrance side. Hasn't crashed once in 20 hours, though gameplay being affected here and there with this setup is inevitable.

Only thing out of the ordinary after the fixes was a stray line here and there through company logos. If the laptop was my only option I could certainly live with it, as opposed to not being able to see it like never before because Durante is such a beautiful man. I'm no technician, though things seem to run more smoothly as I have leveled up and require less attack in these low challenge areas.

The drop is mostly a result of there being so many enemies + physics objects in the upstairs Parish area. Again, lots of physics objects makes the game run more slowly, for whatever reason. Dropping the internal resolution can fix this, or at least make it more tolerable.

Did you guys disable the motion blur in-game setting? Should I leave it on? I disabled it because the instructions made it appear that I needed both the AA and Blur settings disabled for Durante's fix to work.

Did you guys disable the motion blur in-game setting? Should I leave it on? I disabled it because the instructions made it appear that I needed both the AA and Blur settings disabled for Durante's fix to work.

I disabled both and never touched them again after 0.3/0.4 and initially did not do anything differently than exactly what Durante suggested just to see how it would look before I started tinkering. After I installed that first fix it was hard to focus on game progress, as all I could do was retrace every step to see what was really going on with the textures after over 500 hours on the PS3 version alone and take in the true details on every piece of equipment and weapon.

When I started reducing resolutions I was getting locked at 10fps before fire incidents and couldn't strike a combination that felt more beneficial at fullscreen than 1368x788. I had searched for a workaround for the 15fps lock, though was unsuccessful with this setup.

Cyrano

So what's the catch on the price? It seems like it's the Russian version? What issues does this have, why can they offer it at such a low price? They also have Sleeping Dogs so I'm doubly curious.
Those keys may be stolen... I'd be careful about purchasing from that site...

Cyrano

I dunno? I'm not really an expert on fraud or any of that stuff. You'd be better off just buying directly from Steam, I can tell you that much. Or wait for one of their sales.

Top Bottom