• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Where's my goat? said:
Wish there was a midnight release near me, but alas.

God, I can't wait to play this. Demon's Souls was semi-ruined for me because I kept looking at the wiki to practically breeze through it. This time I'm going in fresh.
I'm tiptoeing around it. SOOOO good that way.

Also I'll have pics, videos, lots and lots of Dark Souls coverage here so you can watch me play! Maybe even some streaming stuff. :p

Kuran

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
Newegg is just NOW informing us that they're not getting ANY LEs. They've cancelled our pre-orders.

They are crediting us $20 towards the purchase of any game, but it's still absolutely ridiculous that they're only just now finding this out.

I don't really want to order ANY games from them now, so I dunno what to use my credit on.

The promo code doesn't even work for me.. I emailed their CS.

I wonder if it's worth going to the Gamespot around the block at 10PM, but I guess they won't have any CE's on hand..

Draft

My Amazon pre-order hasn't shipped yet. I hope they aren't also having supply problems.

I ordered the game months ago...

Pai Pai Master said:
Newegg is just NOW informing us that they're not getting ANY LEs. They've cancelled our pre-orders.

They are crediting us $20 towards the purchase of any game, but it's still absolutely ridiculous that they're only just now finding this out.

I don't really want to order ANY games from them now, so I dunno what to use my credit on.

To make matters worse, the fucking promo code isn't working. Thanks a lot Newegg for telling me all of this at 4 PM the day before the game releases, rage isn't even a word strong enough right now.

Dance In My Blood said:
Oh whoops, guess I misread the stats. I know soldiers start with the Heater Shield, which blocks 100% of damage. I'm not sure if the bandit's Spider Shield is as good.

Yea, it appears (others have stated) that the differences are only gonna affect the early game.

My local GS said I wasn't guaranteed a CE if I pre-ordered even with the case in front of me that said "All pre-orders are upgraded to CE"

I'm just going to stop by Walmart tomorrow morning before work and see if there are any CE left. Are those supposed to be more expensive? Kmart is offering a $20 card with the regular edition, which is tempting me to just buy it there and be done with this. At any rate, I should be playing this game after work tomorrow.

Zeliard

Jtyettis said:
All this class talk has me questioning my pick. What kind of build would be good for the Thief.

With Thief I'm going primarily melee, but with a bow and a few backup spells on the side. Probably gonna support the melee with miracles instead of magic, since those tend to be more defense-based. Offensively I want to be in the thick of things, rolling around, backstabbing, some parry/riposte action.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I rang the two bells..
that character feels completely out of place :/ seriously FROM software?

Zzoram

worldrevolution said:
I don't like the idea of builds because I feel it locks you out of other cool stuff. Going a "dex build" is great for all those dex weapons but what about all those awesome str weapons or faith weapons or spells and miracles? I think starting class is really meant to be like "hey, I want to focus on xxx as my main form of offense so this class gives me the best starting route for that". Of course, a jack of all trades is hard in this game without some serious farming, but when I see builds like 10 of every stat and then 40 str 40 dex it's like..is that fun?

That's the only way to wield some of the best weapons at a reasonably early level, otherwise you have to grind past level 100 if you've been spreading your points all over.

Nix

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:

Wait, what!? Holy shit, I gotta check my order; you mean I'm not even getting it? WHAT THE FUCK!!!

AEREC

Pyrrhus said:
I'll second this. I'm done with them.

Ill probably be done with them after I use my $20 off coupon =p

Though Ill still use them for PC parts, and until they have RDD like amazon...I dont see the point in using them for games.

Zeliard

Newegg has been handling this horribly. Someone earlier related an incident where a Newegg rep asked him for proof that the game was once advertised as Collector's Edition on the site. Ridiculous customer service. They've always been great for me, dunno what happened here.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Fuck you Newegg, I don't fucking pre-order regular edition of games. For that shit I can just walk to Best Buy on day 1. I pre-ordered from them specifically for the CE. Wheret he fuck do I get a CE now?

Ainaurdur

I am also in the $20 Newegg credit boat.
I haven't tried to see if it works yet or not. Not sure if I may just prefer to go to a store and pick up my copy tomorrow anyway. I was looking forward to the LE but I'll survive without. Still... it does suck.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No release date delivery anymore on Amazon. Shame, because I really wanted to use Amazon and I just missed it. Obviously that means I wanted to get it tomorrow though. So, looks like a trip to the store.

How should stock be at nearby places? :p

Draft said:
My Amazon pre-order hasn't shipped yet. I hope they aren't also having supply problems.

I ordered the game months ago...
Has your Amazon order even begun to process yet? Mine hasn't and I ordered last week.

Oh, and mine is the 360 LE/CE

Kalnos

Banned
AEREC said:
Though Ill still use them for PC parts, and until they have RDD like amazon...I dont see the point in using them for games.

The Rules:
Computer parts: Newegg, unless they're OOS or Amazon has a cheaper deal.
Everything else: Amazon for RDD and in general unless another site has a deal Amazon won't match.
Used items: Ebay (you can request/see a picture of said item).

That's my take after years on all of those services.

My Amazon order: "Shipping Soon, delivery estimate: October 4th, 2011" Though, I ordered the day it went up for pre-order.

DarkKyo

Reluctant-Hero said:
Has your Amazon order even begun to process yet? Mine hasn't and I ordered last week.

I also ordered mine last week. Check your shipping.. mine was going to come two days after the release in the fastest shipping method available.

So I cancelled the order and I'm just gonna go out and buy it somewhere tomorrow.

Not working for me either, now I have to decide whether I should get it from Amazon and get it with my guide on Friday, drive to 1/2 hr to Fry's to get it for $49.99 or get it from Target and get a $10 GC ( I really should be studying for my exams...)

Draft

Reluctant-Hero said:

It just says shipping soon. I ordered this thing in May. Even if they're handling them first come, first serve, mine should be out the door by now...

I'm giving a Newegg rep a piece of my mind on Chat, fucking bullshit. I'm going to try and get the code working, but now it's probably better to just go to a store tomorrow and grab a copy =/

FuttBuck said:
I'm giving a Newegg rep a piece of my mind on Chat, fucking bullshit. I'm going to try and get the code working, but now it's probably better to just go to a store tomorrow and grab a copy =/

Also to note, when you add it to cart, it says it will ship AFTER Oct. 4th. And free shipping now is EggSaver (4-7 Business Days) not UPS Ground. I decided to just say screw that and go with someone else

razgriz417 said:
Also to note, when you add it to cart, it says it will ship AFTER Oct. 4th. And free shipping now is EggSaver (4-7 Business Days) not UPS Ground. I decided to just say screw that and go with someone else

Yep, just noticed that thanks. They fucked up bad, I'm not placing it there. I may as well grab a copy after work.

The_Monk

It seems lot of people ordered from Newegg for the CE only, I feel bad for you GAF, but what I really don't understand is why, do they allow people to pre-order the CE and then, saying so close to the release date "sorry, no CE for you".

I mean, what's their plan, they hope people don't mind and therefore by saying that people will get CE they gather more clients? Because if it is, that's very low from them.

I'm in Europe, never got any problem like that but seems pretty bad from a company give so much hope to the customers, only to break their promisse one day before the game releases... =/

Draft said:
It just says shipping soon. I ordered this thing in May. Even if they're handling them first come, first serve, mine should be out the door by now...
I've got RDD on my order, guess I'll just remain patient and see what happens tomorrow.

Raziel

worldrevolution said:
I don't like the idea of builds because I feel it locks you out of other cool stuff. Going a "dex build" is great for all those dex weapons but what about all those awesome str weapons or faith weapons or spells and miracles? I think starting class is really meant to be like "hey, I want to focus on xxx as my main form of offense so this class gives me the best starting route for that". Of course, a jack of all trades is hard in this game without some serious farming, but when I see builds like 10 of every stat and then 40 str 40 dex it's like..is that fun?
well generally yep. using a handful of weapons that dole out a lot of damage because your stats are built around them is more fun than using a wide array of weapons that do poor to middling damage because your stats are spread so far wide. at least IMO.

Reluctant-Hero said:

I wouldn't worry about it. If it says you're eligible for RDD, you really should get it tomorrow. Same thing happened with Ico & SotC. I never even got a shipping notification at all, but I got the item on time.

Contact your local GS guys, my store got an extra LE on each system.

Evolved1 said:
Is gamestop doing midnight release for this?

Check Gamestop.com for your location, nearly every store should be since it's also when NBA 2K12, Spider-Man and RAGE hits.

The_Monk said:
It seems lot of people ordered from Newegg for the CE only, I feel bad for you GAF, but what I really don't understand is why, do they allow people to pre-order the CE and then, saying so close to the release date "sorry, no CE for you".

I mean, what's their plan, they hope people don't mind and therefore by saying that people will get CE they gather more clients? Because if it is, that's very low from them.

I'm Europe, never got any problem like that but seems pretty bad from a company give so much hope to the customers, only to break their promisse one day before the game releases... =/

You know the worst part of all this? I had an order from Amazon from back in May for $54.99. I cancelled it to try to save $5...

Ken

cpp_is_king said:
I wouldn't worry about it. If it says you're eligible for RDD, you really should get it tomorrow. Same thing happened with Ico & SotC. I never even got a shipping notification at all, but I got the item on time.
It's RDD barring any technical errors and plane malfunctions, the latter which had happened to my copy of LA Noire.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Are stores like best buy getting the CE? I really don't expect to find any at gamestops, and newegg just screwed me.

Draft

The_Monk said:

I'm Europe, never got any problem like that but seems pretty bad from a company give so much hope to the customers, only to break their promisse one day before the game releases... =/
Newegg used to be a God tier online retailer. They were the best shop to get computer hardware from. Then, they did an IPO, and service started to take a hit. The shipping is still fast, but the prices aren't nearly as competitive as they used to be, and the selection of items branched out to shit like console games and toasters. Wider selection isn't a bad thing, but at the same time their ability to deliver on what made them great to begin with took a hit.

In any case, Newegg isn't nearly as good as they used to be, and them screwing up something like this isn't surprising.

Kalnos

Banned
For games with CEs that I don't care for I usually find them at more obscure stores for buying games (I.E. Target), so I would check there.

mattiewheels said:
Are stores like best buy getting the CE? I really don't expect to find any at gamestops, and newegg just screwed me.

Usually Best Buy is good at getting extra CE in of a game but the problem with them is they use the Spider clamps on anything that's expensive- so usually they destroy the structure of the case/box.

Kalnos said:
For games with CEs I don't care for I usually find them at more obscure stores for buying games (I.E. Target), so I would check there.

Yeah I bought my Marvel vs Capcom 3 CE at my Target when it was sold out everywhere and on ebay for $100+

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
razgriz417 said:
You know the worst part of all this? I had an order from Amazon from back in May for $54.99. I cancelled it to try to save $5...
Me too man, me fucking too. I was saving $10 though. I'm going to give Newegg a piece of my mind right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom