• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sayah said:
Can someone verify if the Kmart $20 promo is in-store or online or both? Please? I asked in the other thread and it seemed like it was in-store only. I called my local Kmart and they said they weren't holding any sort of deal and it was online only. Why can't things just be made clear from the beginning?

I'm pretty sure all of there coupon deals are printed via the receipt and instore only. I'd check the CAG Kmart thread

George Claw M.D. said:
So, what delivery dates are people getting for their Amazon CE orders? I cancelled my original preorder, and reordered when the CE was offered at a discount in my Quick Pick list. Amazon still says "Not yet shipped" with a delivery estimate of 10/7, with 2-day shipping. Was release-date shipping ever available for this game? I don't remember. With the game releasing tomorrow, an estimate of 10/7 sounds like Amazon won't be shipping it until 10/5, a day after release.

I ordered the PS3 version, btw.
Shipping Soon
Delivery Estimate: October 4, 2011

Still the same thing since this morning, hoping for the best.

LuchaShaq said:
Really frustrated by the reviews of this game. They all seem to come from people who drooled over the first game. I honestly hated the first game (played about a dozen hours, and only that many because I genuinely wanted to see what people enjoyed) and was considering giving this one a shot, but it's hard to tell when noone new to the series seems to be reviewing it let alone any reviewer I trust.

Well, chances are if you didn't like Demon's Souls, you probably won't like Dark Souls.

Orayn

Tokubetsu said:
Sending an angry email to amazon. Maybe I can get a giftcard out of this.
Over what? Same-day delivery orders usually ship either late at night or early in the morning of the same day.

Sayah

razgriz417 said:
I'm pretty sure all of there coupon deals are printed via the receipt and instore only. I'd check the CAG Kmart thread
Ah, thanks! Guess I'll have stick with newegg then as I can only buy online. :/

The_Monk

I will only have my copy between October 10th-14th, but I feel bad for all the GAFfers that really wanted the CE and are running into problems getting it.

So, here.

I have lit a Bonfire for GAF.

UMBASA!

tEcnzl.jpg

Iztli

LuchaShaq said:
Really frustrated by the reviews of this game. They all seem to come from people who drooled over the first game. I honestly hated the first game (played about a dozen hours, and only that many because I genuinely wanted to see what people enjoyed) and was considering giving this one a shot, but it's hard to tell when noone new to the series seems to be reviewing it let alone any reviewer I trust.
I'm on the same boat.. I thought Demon Souls was a very boring game :( since it had little to no story... Is Dark Souls the same? I really liked the combat but I felt like I had no purpose

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The_Monk said:
I will only have my copy between October 10th-14th, but I feel bad for all the GAFfers that really wanted the CE and are running into problems getting it.

So, here.

UMBASA!

http://i.imgur.com/tEcnzl.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]
You have a heart of gold. Don't lose it.

evilalien

cybercircuit1 said:
Amazon order shipped. Release-Date delivery. Delivery estimate: October 5, 2011.

All my hate, amazon.

Don't trust the Amazon estimated delivery date. Mine says the same thing, but looking at the tracking number on the UPS site directly shows that it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Well, damn! I guess I did remember correctly about release-date-delivery, then. I probably just forgot to change my delivery option, after I cancelled my original order, and placed a new order back in June. Oh, well.

Thanks for the confirmation, guys.

Zeliard

Iztli said:
I'm on the same boat.. I thought Demon Souls was a very boring game :( since it had little to no story... Is Dark Souls the same? I really liked the combat but I felt like I had no purpose

The world is a dark hell, your purpose is to try and bring a little light to it by vanquishing the demons that guard it.

LuchaShaq

Banned
RyanDG said:
What did you hate about the first game? I've played through Dark Souls once now and Demon's Souls multiple times and I'd be happy to tell you if they fixed any of your complaints with the first title.

Thanks I genuinely want to know not trying to derail/troll. If alot hasn't changed I have no problem putting it in the category of hardcore fighting games/platformers as games I can recognize as being well made just that I don't want to play it.

Spell/equipment descriptions being purposely vague.

Feeling like everything was just a test of patience not skill or strategy to grind your way to the bosses which were awesome in the first imo.

The half health when "dead" mechanic just made me feel like going back to get life back was never worth it. I know that was thrown out but now it's a zombie/human mechanic instead of health? How does this work?

Item animations being pointlessly long that they might as well have made them unusable in combat.

No real story beyond idk stuffs messed up yall!

Chrysalis

Iztli said:

These aren't meant to be story-intensive games. The story exists purely to add to the atmosphere. I'm usually a story whore, but I make an exception for a few series- and this is most definitely one of them.

Raw64life

Fuck these sewers and these frogs. Fell down a hole and they're everywhere. I already read of their
curse spray and the effects that it has
so as soon as I saw them I ran like a mad man. Eventually ran into a dead end and was able to kill the 2 that followed me all the way but there are still about 4 of them blocking the exit. I just said fuck this and turned the game off but I know I'm going to have no choice but to face them. I'm so fucked.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The_Monk said:

So, here.

UMBASA!

tEcnzl.jpg
UMBASA.

evilalien said:
Don't trust the Amazon estimated delivery date. Mine says the same thing, but looking at the tracking number on the UPS site directly shows that it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Heey you're right! Thanks, the UPS site hadn't been updated when I checked earlier.

ElegantBuffalo

Neo Member
My Amazon order still just says not yet shipped. I have contacted them... and they said it would be here tomorrow. But still no reason to think that's true.

jiien

I know you guys kind of already discussed this, but fuck you Newegg. My preorder was cancelled, and the CE is running for 110ish on Amazon right now. What the fuck.

Nix

Banned
Well now I'm just fucked. Thanks a whole fucking lot Newegg; you, and your defective code can suck my fucking dick.

Sye d'Burns

Darkerkamikaze said:
Shipping Soon
Delivery Estimate: October 4, 2011

Still the same thing since this morning, hoping for the best.

Whew. You made me go check my order. My copy from Amazon has been picked up from Lexington, KY, received and is now in transit. Don't give up hope!

x3r0123

The_Monk said:

So, here.

UMBASA!

http://i.imgur.com/tEcnzl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

umbasa. I also have the CE version of demon souls :)

cybercircuit1 said:
Amazon order shipped. Release-Date delivery. Delivery estimate: October 5, 2011.

All my hate, amazon.
I ordered the 360 CE on Amazon on Friday, and I wasn't given an option for release date delivery. The standard edition had that option.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, the Sunrise 136th ST GameStop is open for Midnight releases and I'm unable to resist.

Anybody want to meet up? :p

Gonna be playing this tonight on a 108'' HD projection on my bedroom wall. I'll be sure to take a picture.

Branson

Sye d'Burns said:
Whew. You made me go check my order. My copy from Amazon has been picked up from Lexington, KY, received and is now in transit. Don't give up hope!

Thats where mine ships from sometimes, in KY. Gears 3 shipped around 10 at night the night before I got it.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
To South Florida Dark Souls-GAF: I've been calling a bunch of Gamestops and one in Colonial (160 st & 95 ave) says they have the CE. They're also doing midnight launch .

RyanDG

LuchaShaq said:

In the Japanese version, some items are still as vague as Demon's Souls. I can't speak about the NA version yet, but I wouldn't expect this to change much. Don't expect to know every use for an item though, especially some that have some secret uses.

Feeling like everything was just a test of patience not skill or strategy to grind your way to the bosses which were awesome in the first imo.

If you don't feel that Demon's Souls was a test of skill or strategy rather than of patience, you won't be feeling any better about Dark Souls. From this aspect, the two games are very similar - however I contend that both games truly are about skills and strategy first and foremost. I wouldn't expect a change in feeling though, if you honestly didn't feel that way about Demon's Souls to start with. [Slight edit here - As for dying/restarting in Dark Souls - in some ways it does feel a little more forgiveable than Demon's Souls, so perhaps that would be a + in this column for you?]

The half health when "dead" mechanic just made me feel like going back to get life back was never worth it. I know that was thrown out but now it's a zombie/human mechanic instead of health? How does this work?

I can't really get into this without spoiling too much, but there is a lot more to the body/soul form this time around then in Dark Souls... It's a bit more integral to certain things in game. You will feel a lot more motivated to lean one direction or another.

Item animations being pointlessly long that they might as well have made them unusable in combat.

Animations for both usable items are a lot quicker, however it still isn't 100% safe to use them at will. You need to be strategic about the uses.

I get this complaint about Demon's Souls a lot when it comes up, but I never felt it myself. I've said this before in this thread, but I'll repeat it here... There is a bit more of a narrative, but once again like Demon's Souls - the story is told less through traditional video game methods and more in the item descriptions, environment descriptions and paying close attention to the world around you. You will probably find the story stronger in terms of what they immediately hand to you, but it's still probably not what you are wanting.

Personally, I felt Demon's Souls had a great story (one of the best of this generation), it's just a shame that I seem to be in a minority... Probably because it took a lot of work to really put together the story for Demon's Souls.

Hope that answers some questions.

Aon

Chrysalis said:
These aren't meant to be story-intensive games. The story exists purely to add to the atmosphere. I'm usually a story whore, but I make an exception for a few series- and this is most definitely one of them.

Yeah, I'm entirely in the same boat. Saying that though, I've always been kinda impressed by how evocative Demon's tropes are, seeing as how little time they're given over.

MAD Demon's Spoilers.
The idea that all this darkness was started by a man simply learning that he could steal another's power by taking his life. The Maiden Astrea, using the souls to make herself into a near goddess for the wretched people of the swamp, to cope with there not really being a god. Ostrava's tragic fall. Patch's adorable two facedness.

None of them are fleshed out at all, but they've all evocative enough to really fold back into the game's atmosphere. Particularly the first point.

Orayn

ElegantBuffalo said:
My Amazon order still just says not yet shipped. I have contacted them... and they said it would be here tomorrow. But still no reason to think that's true.
Again, same-day shipping usually winds up sending items at weird times. Should be fine...

LuchaShaq said:
Thanks I genuinely want to know not trying to derail/troll. If alot hasn't changed I have no problem putting it in the category of hardcore fighting games/platformers as games I can recognize as being well made just that I don't want to play it.

* Spell/equipment descriptions being purposely vague.

this is one game where having a wiki / strategy guide is a big benefit. Personally, I like the feeling of having a world to discover, explore and research instead of having everything handed to you.

*Feeling like everything was just a test of patience not skill or strategy to grind your way to the bosses which were awesome in the first imo.

This is something I disagree with - the game was hard and a test of skill, but it gave you the tools to overcome them. You could

- Overcome tough fights with skill
- Grind out levels and simply over-power them
- Use online play to help defeat things

The approach to combat is different than most games these days - it is a matter of patience, but patience to learn the attack patterns, enemy locations, weaknesses, etc. I've seen people do speed runs of the game in an hour you don't need to grind them out if you know what you are doing.

*The half health when "dead" mechanic just made me feel like going back to get life back was never worth it.

You never 'needed' to be in human form - I probably spent most of my time in spirit form and I was fine with that. While this did make the cling-ring an item I had on most of the time - you learned to survive. I was never too attached on remaining in human form.

*Item animations being pointlessly long that they might as well have made them unusable in combat.

This comes back to skill, strategy and timing - in many games these days, you can spam your strognest attacks, chug items with minimal delay and not need to give much thought to things. in Demon's Souls, you needed to have patience - know when to attack, when to back off and heal, how to exploit your enemies openings. Yeah, if you wanted to do the 'spam attack & chug items approach' - you would need to grind out levels to live using this play style.

*No real story beyond idk stuffs messed up yall!

The story delivery is minimalist and not in your face - it's part of the gameworld. Talking to NPC's and you could learn their back-stories, there was a purpose to defeating the demon's/etc. While it is not a heavy-story game - it does exist. This game is more about atmosphere and gameplay than heavy-handed story delivery. I'm kinda OK with that - I don't need long cut-scenes to tell me that the world is a deserted place, where everything is oppressive and overbearing and I'm alone in my quest to put the demon's to rest - those elements of the story were entrenched in the game-play.

But, going by what you disliked about Demon's Souls (and most of what I liked about it), and what I know about Dark' Souls (midnight cant come soon enough), I'd venture a bet that you won't like the game.

Nix said:
Anyone know of a good place to buy it from now? I have no idea anymore.

Fry's if you have one nearby for $50
Target if you want a $10 GC
Amazon?
BestBuy/Walmart if you want to try your luck at a CE?

Booshka

Nix said:
Anyone know of a good place to buy it from now? I have no idea anymore.
I'm picking up a regular copy tomorrow at Fry's for $50. If you have one near you and are fine with just getting the game, I would go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom