• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

sephi22

LuchaShaq said:
Really frustrated by the reviews of this game. They all seem to come from people who drooled over the first game. I honestly hated the first game (played about a dozen hours, and only that many because I genuinely wanted to see what people enjoyed) and was considering giving this one a shot, but it's hard to tell when noone new to the series seems to be reviewing it let alone any reviewer I trust.
I disliked the first one. I've played this for 20 hours now and have a soul level of 39.
So yeah, its fantastic.

Persona7

Banned
You would think people would have a basic knowledge of how these shipping systems works by now, there is always a delay between the time your order is picked up and entered into the delivery system.

I have had orders still show "SHIPPING SOON" hours after I have received the item.

Lombax

Banned
I feel just so dirty right now forgive me gaf. Ended up canceling the order with Amazon and stopped at gamestop this evening and pre-orderd a copy.

Homeward Bones - Are there any penalties for using them, and are they rare enough so you shouldn't waste them in any way?

I fell down a hole in the depths and now I have no potions and only a sliver of health, and 5000 souls and 2 humanity :-(

Zzoram

robotzombie said:
Homeward Bones - Are there any penalties for using them, and are they rare enough so you shouldn't waste them in any way?

I fell down a hole in the depths and now I have no potions and only a sliver of health, and 5000 souls and 2 humanity :-(

Homeward Bones have no penalty. Splinter of bones make you drop your souls/humanity so it's rather pointless, almost the same as just dying.

MrMephistoX

Did every pre-order get the free upgrade to CE? I ordered mine from Amazon back in May before it was announced the CE would essentially be a free upgrade and never thought to cancel my original order.

Sayah

Nix said:
Anyone know of a good place to buy it from now? I have no idea anymore.

If you are able to purchase offline and have a k-mart near you, they will offer a $20 gaming coupon. Make sure your local K-mart is participating just in case. You have to be a shopyourrewards member (which you can do for free online).

Otherwise, I believe Target was also offering a $10 gift card for purchasing Dark Souls. Should double check on that as well.

Then, there's Fry's Electronics (who don't accept paypal GRRRRRRRRRR) but have Dark Souls priced at $50.

EDIT: BEATEN

Zeliard

LuchaShaq said:
Thanks I genuinely want to know not trying to derail/troll. If alot hasn't changed I have no problem putting it in the category of hardcore fighting games/platformers as games I can recognize as being well made just that I don't want to play it.

Spell/equipment descriptions being purposely vague.

There was an in-game stat screen I think many people missed that had detailed info. Each category was given its own tooltip, etc. Most of everything else could be found in the game's manual.

And what some people call vague like the Tendencies, others would call charmingly mysterious. ;) It was awesome that there was some nebulous stuff there to figure out. It harkens back to how games used to be before we knew every single thing about them even pre-release.

LuchaShaq said:
Feeling like everything was just a test of patience not skill or strategy to grind your way to the bosses which were awesome in the first imo.

If you keep dying in the run-up to some boss, the key is to modify your tactics or try a new level, not keep trying the same thing over and over in the same fashion. The test of patience comes in not simply sprinting through the level, particularly to regain a bloodstain, or going into combat haphazardly without defending yourself properly.

Strategy comes in preparing yourself properly beforehand with gear, resistances, etc. Tactics come into play in the individual combat scenarios. The skill is in putting everything together and then executing in combat.

LuchaShaq said:
Item animations being pointlessly long that they might as well have made them unusable in combat.

They are that way so you can't simply spam 30 healing potions in battle without a sweat. You have to at least gain some separation.

In Demon's Souls that was still overpowered since you could stock up on hundreds of healing herbs, overall. In Dark Souls they took steps to balance that out by limiting you to 5-15 healing flasks at once. The same drinking animation is still there, and you can still get smacked during it.

LuchaShaq said:
No real story beyond idk stuffs messed up yall!

The story is there, it's just not in your face through dull cutscenes and endless exposition.

sublimit

Banned
The_Monk said:
I will only have my copy between October 10th-14th, but I feel bad for all the GAFfers that really wanted the CE and are running into problems getting it.

So, here.

I have lit a Bonfire for GAF.

UMBASA!

tEcnzl.jpg
You have a heart of gold.

Zertez

Im not sure if it was just the Best Buy I went to or the guy had no idea about a CE, but he said they only had normal editions for Dark Souls in the back. I tried to get the game early, so I had him check and he brought a normal edition out, but it wouldnt ring up to let me buy it. This guy works in the video game department and he is normally pretty knowledgeable, but he wasnt in the back that long. Other Best Buys maybe different, I just wanted to pass along my experiences with the Best Buy I went to.

Draft

RyanDG said:
Personally, I felt Demon's Souls had a great story (one of the best of this generation), it's just a shame that I seem to be in a minority... Probably because it took a lot of work to really put together the story for Demon's Souls.
I think it had the best story of the HD generation. All the well written dialog and celebrity voice acting in the world can't compare to the story in your head. Demon's Souls gives you just enough info through dialog, and a huge amount of atmosphere with the art and music, to create a wonderful story.

Zzoram

Clapton_Touchdown said:
Hey guys, what would be the best melee class with the occasional use of a bow?
Warrior?

Bandit, get to 12 dex for short bow

So is the Toronto Eaton Centre EB Games confirmed to be doing a midnight launch?

Reluctant-Hero said:
Has your Amazon order even begun to process yet? Mine hasn't and I ordered last week.

Oh, and mine is the 360 LE/CE
I ordered the PS3 CE on May 15th and it was sent out at 1:28pm this afternoon.

I think at this point the best deal for non-CE copies of the game is at Kmart with the $20 credit. Now stay away from my Kmart you bastards!

Clapton_Touchdown said:
Hey guys, what would be the best melee class with the occasional use of a bow?
Warrior?
His dexterity's higher than average starting out, so I would think it'd be relatively easy to get him into using bows.

Sayah

Draft said:
I think it had the best story of the HD generation. All the well written dialog and celebrity voice acting in the world can't compare to the story in your head. Demon's Souls gives you just enough info through dialog, and a huge amount of atmosphere with the art and music, to create a wonderful story.
I wouldn't call it the best but it's definitely up there. Aside from the phenomenal voice acting and atmosphere, the game also offers long, text descriptions for each different world in the nexus. You can read that to get a basic understanding of the story related to each world. There definitely is a story and it's good.

1stStrike

Banned
WOOT! My copy just shipped. I got in on the pre-order deal a while back where Amazon did a free upgrade to the collectors edition if you pre-ordered the standard edition.

Can't wait to dig into this tomorrow after work - I'm off Wednesday - Friday so I'll be relishing in death after death for 3 days straight ;)

Dark Souls - It hurts so good.

Lombax

Banned
Square Triangle said:
Did Amazon offer something exclusive? I don't get it.

No earlier today I found out my copy would not be showing up until Thursday, and I really can't take the wait anymore. Its a total lack of will power / patience on my part.
I just do not enjoy giving gamestop the business.

Cutwolf

Amazon is generally pretty good with honoring release date delivery. Mine is listed as shippong soon and I haven't received the shipping email yet, but delivery estimate is still tomorrow. Shipping emails sometimes come late.

I wouldn't worry.

Anyone find any cool Dex based weapons yet? So far I'm just using the Winged Spear. Any early game Katanas or anything else cool yet?

I'm currently at
the underground area of the city, with the big butchers who dual wield cleavers. I think it might be called "the depths"?

Cutwolf said:
Amazon is generally pretty good with honoring release date delivery. Mine is listed as shippong soon and I haven't received the shipping email yet, but delivery estimate is still tomorrow. Shipping emails sometimes come late.

I wouldn't worry.
Yeah, sometimes the site is just updated late.

sublimit

Banned
Draft said:
I agree.For me Demon's Souls style of storytelling is the epitome of how to effectively tell a story in video games.

George Claw M.D. said:
So, what delivery dates are people getting for their Amazon CE orders? I cancelled my original preorder, and reordered when the CE was offered at a discount in my Quick Pick list. Amazon still says "Not yet shipped" with a delivery estimate of 10/7, with 2-day shipping. Was release-date shipping ever available for this game? I don't remember. With the game releasing tomorrow, an estimate of 10/7 sounds like Amazon won't be shipping it until 10/5, a day after release.

I ordered the PS3 version, btw.

I have RDD for my PS3 collector's edition from Amazon. Still says Not Yet Shipped, hasn't even upgraded yet to Shipping Soon, but they generally have high reliability so I suspect I'll still get it tomorrow as promised.

Owensboro

TylerD said:
Add me to the list of GAFers that have shipping soon as Amazon status for release day delivery.
Ditto here. God, I hope it doesn't get delayed. I remember having the same thing happen with Uncharted 2 though. Uncharted arrived at my door before amazon updated their site with "shipped". I'm hoping that wasn't a fluke....

EDIT: Just checked my Amazon account page... It still hasn't shipped yet... I know everything worked out ok with UC2.....but oh god I'm getting nervous. Please god ship.

Nix

Banned
Thanks guys, I was just a little angry since I cancelled my 5 month Dark Souls reservation at Amazon, for fucking Newegg. Who looks stupid now; me and my loyalty huh.

Ordered at Fry's and I'm hoping it arrives soon.

purg3

slept with Malkin
just found out that I can pick up my copy at midnight from the gamestop down the street, since the store I preordered at is not doing a midnight sale, just had to have it paid in full from the original store. Pretty cool they're doing that, but such a bad idea for me since I have to get up early for work. They didn't have any guides in so I just ordered one from amazon, shows delivery date of Thursday. Haven't been this excited for a game in a while.

My Amazon order just shipped. Email says:

"Your estimated delivery date is:
October 05, 2011"

But I checked the tracking number and it will be here tomorrow.

knitoe

Damn, should have kept my Amazon CE pre-order way back. Instead, I went with Newegg since it was cheaper. Now, Newegg sent me an email stating the order has been cancel since they only have the standard edition and gave me a $20 video game credit which doesn't currently seem to work. I'll probably have search for it locally tomorrow.

Orayn

piratepwnsninja said:
My Amazon order just shipped. Email says:

"Your estimated delivery date is:
October 05, 2011"

But I checked the tracking number and it will be here tomorrow.
Tracking number is probably more accurate, since it comes from the shipping company. Amazon's estimate is generated automatically and could very easily be wrong.

TylerD

by Sublimit

I agree.For me Demon's Souls style of storytelling is the epitome of how to effectively tell a story in video games.

My Demon's Souls story starts like this:

"In a world of fuck-awesome artistic design with DRAGONS, our hero Alterius Fump, a noble knight of the kingdom of Bolletaria is going to die, a lot. Death will come long and painful and swiftly and sudden. He will be killed by blue eyed knights, and red eyed knights and a gang of dreglings wielding fire torches as they jump at poor Alterius waving them violently. There will be incineration by dragon's fire and clumsy running that leads to falling off of cliffs when attempting to sleigh golden skeletons in precarious situations, etc etc etc."

sephi22

For those that have rung both bells in Dark Souls.

I went into the tree. What an amazing area. Also my favorite enemies near the end. And when I finally went through the fog gate and saw the new area. Jaw dropped. Seriously the most breathtaking area in the game. For some reason I don't see anyone in any forum mention this area. I wanna proceed but the miniboss is scaring me.

Raw64life

Raw64life said:
Fuck these sewers and these frogs. Fell down a hole and they're everywhere. I already read of their
curse spray and the effects that it has
so as soon as I saw them I ran like a mad man. Eventually ran into a dead end and was able to kill the 2 that followed me all the way but there are still about 4 of them blocking the exit. I just said fuck this and turned the game off but I know I'm going to have no choice but to face them. I'm so fucked.

robotzombie said:

Nice! Forgot I had these. Crisis averted.

DarkKyo

Lombax said:
No earlier today I found out my copy would not be showing up until Thursday, and I really can't take the wait anymore. Its a total lack of will power / patience on my part.
I just do not enjoy giving gamestop the business.
Do what I did. Cancel the amazon order and just go to best buy tomorrow.

Zeliard

The_Monk said:
I will only have my copy between October 10th-14th, but I feel bad for all the GAFfers that really wanted the CE and are running into problems getting it.

So, here.

I have lit a Bonfire for GAF.

UMBASA!

tEcnzl.jpg

I am on your side. I have come to face the Demons.

.... heheheh

Orayn

1stStrike said:
I wonder how many copies of this are selling on day 1? Even Amazon was back ordered, so this game must be coming on strong.
This is true. Even if the various CE shortages are annoying for us, it shows that there aren't giant heaps of the game sitting around unsold. Cross your fingers for breaking a million!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom