• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatPee

TheExecutive said:
Yes, you already posted it. Any particular reason to post it again? I will say it again like I did on the last page- its not a good comparison.

Must be another one of the war initiators.

mentalfloss said:
I haven't actually played it myself yet, but I've been watching Justin.tv streams all day, and other than the respawn/loot drop thing, it really doesn't appear like a particularly difficult game at all.

Is your character movement deliberately sluggish or something?

No, but it is weighty and deliberate. It requires a certain mindset to play well. Enemies and bosses can wreck your shit really easily if you make a mistake.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Don't watch the latest Gametrailers video. Tons of boss spoilers (didn't watch myself, my buddy did though).

Insaniac said:
several questions: I've heard this game be compared to Monster Hunter in its play style. How true is this. Also, what kind of multiplayer does it have? I heard the original Demon's Souls had a weird co-op multiplayer, not true co-op. Is it the same for this game?

demons souls (dont have my copy of dark souls yet; stupid north america) was similar to monster hunter in that they are both action games that are not based on combos. both are slow and both are hard. and both have upgradeable weapons and several weapon choices.

monster hunter has a lot of other crap such as the farm and ships and so on, that demons souls didnt have. demons souls had a deep customization and leveling system that monster hunter doesnt really. and demons souls greatest strength (in my opinion) was its atmosphere, and that is way different from the atmosphere of monster hunter.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
TheExecutive said:
I have gone this long without spoiling and I will not falter!
It's safe to open the link and just listen to it! edit: just some slight covenant spoilers.

hteng

Banned
mentalfloss said:
I haven't actually played it myself yet, but I've been watching Justin.tv streams all day, and other than the respawn/loot drop thing, it really doesn't appear like a particularly difficult game at all.

Is your character movement deliberately sluggish or something?

you said so, you haven't played it yourself. It is a difficult game, with alot of punishing and stupid traps, but it's a one time thing, you'll learn to remember where those traps are and what to avoid.

your movement is governed by your equipment burden. It can be sluggish the closer you are getting to your maximum equip burden.

Boogdud

Einbroch said:
PS3 confirmed superior version with compressed, streaming video. Wrap it up, folks.

Stop posting that. Didn't you post it before, too?

Don't forget that any of the parts that slowed down on the 360 weren't even 1:1 tests. ie) going through the fog and immediately running to the left to force the scenery to load while the ps3 player sits there for a good 3 seconds to slooowly turn to face the same scenery... it's a crap test. Hopefully lensoftruth will do one.

Varna

TheExecutive said:
Especially since its a bad one. The blacks look crushed in the PS3 version and I will bet dollars to donuts that RGB Full is enabled.

What is the best setting for this?

Nelo Ice

Banned
doesnt look like im getting my game tomorrow but instead of i'll blindly buy the guide from gs since i have a ton of credit to burn.

Yoshichan

So where are the midnight launch-pics?!

CatPee

Varna said:
What is the best setting for this?

RGB Full should only be enabled if your TV supports it. And even so, you still gotta tweak around with brightness and contrast settings to get the blacks to display properly. There was a page that showed how to test whether your TV can support it, but I can't find the link at the moment. My TV does, and games look much richer in color with it on full and blacks look black instead of gray while still maintaining detail.

zazrx said:
Real quick, is it worth it to get the guide? I tend to think the wiki and the internet to be enough of a resource.

The internet should be an adequate resource in due time, but the guide is hardcover, limited, AND 400 pages. For any hardcore fan, it should be a buy. Plus it's only $18 from bookdepository.com (albeit having to be shipped from the UK).

elfinke

CatPee said:
RGB Full should only be enabled if your TV supports it. And even so, you still gotta tweak around with brightness and contrast settings to get the blacks to display properly. There was a page that showed how to test whether your TV can support it, but I can't find the link at the moment. My TV does, and games look much richer in color with it on full and blacks look black instead of gray while still maintaining detail.

http://www.nicolaspeople.com/ch3rokeesblog/?p=16

Has a decent enough test for it that I found on avforums in the first place.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Newcomers, if you're planning to play offline, prepare to miss lots and LOTS of secrets/items.

It's almost impossible to find some of the invisible doors without some sorta hint, and they lead to new areas!

Karamsoul

Checked at my local 24 hour Walmart just for kicks. They received about 20 copies of Rage for each system, 38 total copies of NBA 2K12 for both systems, 4 copies of the XBox version of Dark Souls (standard, not CE), and 2 (!) copies of the standard PS3 version.

Glad my PS3 CE copy is coming to my workplace tomorrow by Amazon :)

Anyways, a question for people who already have the CE versions: Have any of you downloaded the making of video of Dark Souls? Is it lengthy and pretty good?

zazrx said:
Real quick, is it worth it to get the guide? I tend to think the wiki and the internet to be enough of a resource.
From the looks of the mini guide and the fact that its hardcover and 400 pages yes. Normally I NEVER buy guides but Dark Souls and demons souls are huge games that usually dont explain much at all. I would much rather prefer a book next to me instead of a laptop heating up my lap and such.

Just played 2 hours of Dark Souls having never played Demon Souls. Maaaan, fuck this game. Worst game I've played this year. You guys will probably love it, but this shit just ain't for me.

My theater is begging for the spooky sounds of dark souls. Dammit I need to go to bed but can't sleep!

IMG_6855.jpg

Yoshichan

-htownplaya- said:
Just played 2 hours of Dark Souls having never played Demon Souls. Maaaan, fuck this game. Worst game I've played this year. You guys will probably love it, but this shit just ain't for me.
Good to hear.

edit: TheExecutive, please tell me you live in Sweden. I wanna hook up some DkS and sit on those sweet ass couches some day!

Orayn

-htownplaya- said:
What didn't you like about it?

Lucentto

Banned
-htownplaya- said:
Sounds like you died more times than your patience would allow.

-htownplaya- said:

Give it a few more hours. That was my initial reaction to Demons Souls. It will just "click" at some point.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
-htownplaya- said:
Did you make it out of the first area?

zazrx said:

If you want to not make any mistakes on your first go through and you are getting it first day then the guide is worth it. Otherwise you should be fine just using the wiki and internet... the problem is you have to wait 'til the wiki is filled.

I think I have a power-leveling suicide run figured out where you can get leveled to above level 20, maybe even 25 in less than an hour or two. This should be useful for veterans who just want to level another character. It will also unlock several shortcuts so that way you have access to a majority of the beginning world... also included is upgrading your flask to +2 on your way to doing things as well as grabbing the
drake sword and another sword that scales w/ stats (with a shield)
. This should save people HOURS of time for when they want to create a new character but don't want the hassle of the early game. Once I fully test the run when I pick up the game tomorrow I'll write it up for everyone and post it on the wiki and make modifications to it as I find out new tricks.

lol I've watched and read a lot of stuff for Dark Souls.

Yoshichan

TheExecutive said:
Sorry, I am in Denver Colorado but if your ever in town...
Damn, not gonna happen :( But thanks anyway man!

Einbroch

Banned
-htownplaya- said:
I hated, hated, HATED Demon's Souls for about 2 hours. Tried to get into it three times. Finally, I just broke through a wall and fell in love with it.

zazrx said:

I wouldn't, unless you want something nice looking on your coffee table. The wiki should prove to be a superior resource once it gets rolling.

TheExecutive said:
Give it a few more hours. That was my initial reaction to Demons Souls. It will just "click" at some point.

Yep. I hated Demon's Souls too when I first played it, but after finally beating it just this afternoon I'd say it's one of the best RPG's ever made bar none.

Gvaz

Banned
-htownplaya- said:
Basically for most people playing DS is like going to prison and dropping the soap, multiple times.

it's not exactly a familiar feeling in most games, which is also the draw of it in an era where games hold your hand through a tutorial.

Yoshichan

Haha, my first 2 hours of Demon's Souls was: "It can't possibly get any better than this, can it?"

Oh boy, was I wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom