• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Evolved1 said:
Gamestop guy wouldn't give me the game... I'm the only person there in the empty fucking parking lot and he's like "No, not till midnight."
I don't like Gamestop but you're ragging on a guy for following the fucking rules. He probably deals with shit like that every release day.

Jtyettis said:
Looks solid, but man is that framerate a turd. Sacrifices must be made I guess.
Yeah, it suffers from frame drops. I really hope its a bug that they can at least smooth out a little post release.

Luckily, the Souls games dont suffer all that much from such drops due to it being a strategic slow moving game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ouch man. I hear ya...

Ken

Evolved1 said:
Gamestop guy wouldn't give me the game... I'm the only person there in the empty fucking parking lot and he's like "No, not till midnight."

So I say, "Really? What if I buy another game? If you let me walk out of here right now I'll buy Rage too."

"You can buy Rage too, at midnight".

"I have an exam tomorrow morning at 8am (true story) so I can't wait here until midnight. I'll be back tomorrow"

Of course when I go back tomorrow, it will be to cancel all my other preorders I have paid off. So four other games @ $60 a piece. You know... it's not even that he didn't let me have the game, though I found that kind of ridiculous given the circumstances, but the fact he was such a snide cunt about it. Last couple times I've gone in there they'll been smug douches for no reason. It's like they think they're doing me some kind of favor, or they've got something I need to have. They don't. In fact, it's a pain in the ass to drive there. I'll just get my shit online from now on, or through DD. I'm done with these brick and mortar places.
Sounds terrible. I wouldn't have waited till midnight either.

Insaniac

several questions: I've heard this game be compared to Monster Hunter in its play style. How true is this. Also, what kind of multiplayer does it have? I heard the original Demon's Souls had a weird co-op multiplayer, not true co-op. Is it the same for this game?

Dresden said:
I don't like Gamestop but you're ragging on a guy for following the fucking rules. He probably deals with shit like that every release day.

I'll never truly understand such strict adherence to release dates. It makes little to no sense to me from a business perspective on anyones part but I do agree that he is just doing his job.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Dresden said:

Maybe he does. But I was cool about it and the guy was a smug asshole. For no reason.

He could've just said "sorry, no... can't do it". Instead he had to be a prick about it.

Insaniac

Evolved1 said:

So I say, "Really? What if I buy another game? If you let me walk out of here right now I'll buy Rage too."

"I have an exam tomorrow morning at 8am (true story) so I can't wait here until midnight. I'll be back tomorrow"

Of course when I go back tomorrow, it will be to cancel all my other preorders I have paid off. So four other games @ $60 a piece. You know... it's not even that he didn't let me have the game, though I found that kind of ridiculous given the circumstances, but the fact he was such a snide cunt about it. Last couple times I've gone in there they'll been smug douches for no reason. It's like they think they're doing me some kind of favor, or they've got something I need to have. They don't. In fact, it's a pain in the ass to drive there. I'll just get my shit online from now on, or through DD. I'm done with these brick and mortar places.

People lose their job over what you think is menial shit like this.

Edit: Above, I can see you being pissed if he was being an asshole about it.

Evolved1 said:
Maybe he does. But I was cool about it and the guy was a smug asshole. For no reason.

He could've just said "sorry, no... can't do it". Instead he had to be a prick about it.
He didn't sound like a prick at all in what you posted. He's doing his job. It's not his fault you have an exam at 8 am.

Einbroch

Banned
TheExecutive said:
I'll never truly understand such strict adherence to release dates. It makes little to no sense to me from a business perspective on anyones part but I do agree that he is just doing his job.
He lets a game go three hours early. What's four hours? Why not twelve? Hell, just release it when you get your copies in stock!

Rules is rules.

Insaniac said:
several questions: I've heard this game be compared to Monster Hunter in its play style. How true is this. Also, what kind of multiplayer does it have? I heard the original Demon's Souls had a weird co-op multiplayer, not true co-op. Is it the same for this game?

Cant really comment on the Monster Hunter thing but consider its multiplayer a single player experience with a twist. Its actually the best of both worlds if you ask me. Read more here:
http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Online

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The real story begins when we find out that guy's got a GAF account!

Einbroch said:
He lets a game go three hours early. What's four hours? Why not twelve? Hell, just release it when you get your copies in stock!

Rules is rules.

I agree but my point was exactly what you said- why not sell it when you receive it? Why do publishers or retailers care?

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Making of Videos, Soundtrack, Mini Guide, and artbook...Oh, the artbook may still be physical for both versions. Forgot about that.
Thanks for your help, I think I'm just going to stick with my UK pre-order then. Disappointed about the original change anyway, I hate that new boxart.
But then, the game should be my GOTY(F) so it's not too much to worry about.

TheExecutive said:

I was chatting up a guy at an indie store with a little wink-wink-nudge-nudge sell it to me early - he said that if distributors catch them releasing things early, it can affect the contracts that they have with them - and lead to consequences (ie: no longer distributing games to that store). Yeah, stuff breaks release date all the time - and who knows how often people are actually caught and have this enforced, but the risk is there.

So, it comes down to

- Stores don't want to risk breaking contracts so they can still get the games they want to sell
- This gets passed down to the floor-level employees, who'd rather not break street dates so they don't lose their jobs.

So from a lowly front line employees perspective - is it worth risking losing their jobs so you can get your game early? Probably not.

Evolved1

DoctorWho said:
He didn't sound like a prick at all in what you posted. He's doing his job. It's not his fault you have an exam at 8 am.

I guess you had to be there. Those particular guys in that shop are always smug (well there's some exceptions. a couple weeks ago a guy in there was nice and really helpful) for what seems like no good reason.

Evolved1 said:
I guess you had to be there. Those particular guys in that shop are always smug (well there's some exceptions. a couple weeks ago a guy in there was nice and really helpful) for what seems like no good reason.
Tone certainly can go a long way.

sazabirules said:
He was following the rules.

Like he said, it's not so much that he couldn't get them, it's that the guy was rude about it.

I've managed midnight releases before way back when, and I got offered money and one time even a blowjob from a chick who really wanted her copy of Halo 2 early (I'm happily married, else that one would have been more difficult to dismiss...then again, I wouldn't have risked my job for a bj anyway, probably) but there are ways to tell customers "Sorry" that don't involve sarcastic comments like he seemingly received. Mine was, "Dude, if I could I would. I'd rather be home playing it too than here having to sell it. We'll get you in just a few hours/minutes/however long was left. Don't worry." and with sincerity.

Plus, I know exactly what he speaks of. There were some grade A douche managers in my district who were the same as what he described.

WEGGLES

Evolved1 said:

Sounds awful.

So glad I don't work at gamestop and have to deal with stuff like this...

Dude is following rules. I'm sure he'd like to just give you your game, but probably would like to keep his job too...

I mean, why would you get it early? Why would they stay open until midnight if they could just give it out at 8 or so when they normally close?

Evolved1 said:

Well, your sounding like a brat about it.

I should be doing hw said:
Thanks for your help, I think I'm just going to stick with my UK pre-order then. Disappointed about the original change anyway, I hate that new boxart.
But then, the game should be my GOTY(F) so it's not too much to worry about.

You're welcome! We're all a bit disappointed about it, but it will be an amazing game nonetheless.

rogerroger22 said:
I was chatting up a guy at an indie store with a little wink-wink-nudge-nudge sell it to me early - he said that if distributors catch them releasing things early, it can affect the contracts that they have with them - and lead to consequences (ie: no longer distributing games to that store). Yeah, stuff breaks release date all the time - and who knows how often people are actually caught and have this enforced, but the risk is there.

So, it comes down to

- Stores don't want to risk breaking contracts so they can still get the games they want to sell
- This gets passed down to the floor-level employees, who'd rather not break street dates so they don't lose their jobs.

So from a lowly front line employees perspective - is it worth risking losing their jobs so you can get your game early? Probably not.

I wonder why distributors care so much. I am not saying the employee was wrong in any way just wondering why the street date crap is even in existence.

Einbroch

Banned
TheExecutive said:
I agree but my point was exactly what you said- why not sell it when you receive it? Why do publishers or retailers care?
Because then you open a whole can of worms. Moneyhats abound. Say Gamestop has a deal with EA to get all their games shipped to them three days before anywhere else. Now everyone buys from Gamestop where they can charge the full sixty bucks. No more Amazon, Kmart, etc coupons. No competition. Unless you want to wait.

Midnight releases are like a micro-version of this. I'm not saving ten dollars at K-Mart because I want it tonight. Imagine a few days. Day 1 wouldn't have the same meaning.

Kalnos

Banned
Just pick up the game tomorrow after class and study tonight, is it really that big of a deal that the dude is doing his job?

DoctorWho said:

I probably would have just waited anyway, regardless of exam time. If I wanted the game that bad...but I know what he's talking about with Gamestop employees. I've always had to deal with pricks at my hometown store which is why I stopped shopping there years ago. They're fucking dicks.

Evolved1

rogerroger22 said:
Well, your sounding like a brat about it.

Maybe it sounds that way... not really how it went down though. There wasn't a scene or anything. I'm not even that mad he didn't give me the game (as I said) it was more about the tone of it, and my experience the last few times I've been in there.

Lol... probably should have kept this to myself. My posts always backfire. haha

Einbroch said:
Because then you open a whole can of worms. Moneyhats abound. Say Gamestop has a deal with EA to get all their games shipped to them three days before anywhere else. Now everyone buys from Gamestop where they can charge the full sixty bucks. No more Amazon, Kmart, etc coupons. No competition. Unless you want to wait.

Midnight releases are like a micro-version of this. I'm not saving ten dollars at K-Mart because I want it tonight. Imagine a few days. Day 1 wouldn't have the same meaning.

Well, there are ethical practices that can be adhered to without a street date.

Anyone want to do a progress log of sorts with others? Thoughts on first time encounters, enemies, situations etc. It'd be tough to do it here - since every post would be with spoilers, maybe a different thread for it?

TheExecutive said:
I wonder why distributors care so much. I am not saying the employee was wrong in any way just wondering why the street date crap is even in existence.

To be honest, I'm in the industry now and I don't understand the marketing reasons behind the hard street dates for things. I know they advertise a date and want to make sure that product exists, but Gamestop doesn't generally do any favors to this anyway since if you didn't pre-order, they might not have it on release day, despite a wall full of them right behind the guy (had this happen recently...no, they weren't just empty boxes and their pre-orders had already been pulled.)

I mean, I've purchased games I generally wouldn't have even thought about buying or would have waited on just because I was able to find it early somehow. I know there are many others that are the same way.

Einbroch

Banned
TheExecutive said:
Well, there are ethical practices that can be adhered to without a street date.
This is business we're talking about. Just in gaming you have deals with early DLC on one system and not on the other. That's one game. Imagine making deals with an entire company...hell...an entire industry.

"We'll give you an extra 2% publisher revenue if you sign this contract saying you'll ship us your games on Friday." That shit would happen so fast. I can't believe it hasn't already.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
TrojanBlade said:
Ok so my Amazon order still says 'not shipped' but still delivery for tomorrow :/
Patience is a virtue.

What happened to all that Amazon stuff you were talking about pages back about it being out of stock and what not?

Einbroch said:
This is business we're talking about. Just in gaming you have deals with early DLC on one system and not on the other. That's one game. Imagine making deals with an entire company...hell...an entire industry.

"We'll give you an extra 2% publisher revenue if you sign this contract saying you'll ship us your games on Friday." That shit would happen so fast. I can't believe it hasn't already.

In all honesty from a consumer standpoint I wouldnt care much.

Einbroch said:

Get your games the Friday before release date, only by pre-ordering at Gamestop!

params7 said:
"Game for masochists"

I fucking hate this description of the game. The game is challenging, was every gamer in the 90's a masochist? Wtf.

I haven't actually played it myself yet, but I've been watching Justin.tv streams all day, and other than the respawn/loot drop thing, it really doesn't appear like a particularly difficult game at all.

Is your character movement deliberately sluggish or something?

Found a link to the mini-guide online - skimming through it to kill time before picking it up for a midnight release - some decent info there. Can see it being very useful once I'm not so worried about spoiling things too much for myself - and some of the details on events like
talking to certain NPCs until they being repeating themselves after X event in the game so you can fight them later
will be useful, as that's the kinda thing you just dont figure out without a guide really.

Baha

mentalfloss said:
I haven't actually played it myself yet, but I've been watching Justin.tv streams all day, and other than the respawn/loot drop thing, it really doesn't appear like a particularly difficult game at all.

Your character movement is based on your equip burden. You can be as fast or as slow as you want bearing the risks/rewards of wearing/not wearing armor.

bathala

Banned
mentalfloss said:

depending on ur stat. Knight with heavy armor. yes it will be sluggish

Yoshichan

mentalfloss said:
Based on your equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom