• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foffy

Banned
weekend_warrior said:
So you actually saw the players have to reset their PS3s after the freezing?

One guy was keeping a tally on deaths and game freezes. It froze six times for him, last I checked..

razgriz417 said:
Wow that guy in the stream with the
Reaper
armor, so freaking sick

Yeah the armor and weapons look awesome. Much more variety then DS.

edit:
Valley Of Defilement
like level confirmed.

edit2: Must be getting late in Japan, everyone's going to bed.

weekend_warrior said:
Yeah the armor and weapons look awesome. Much more variety then DS.

edit:
Valley Of Defilement
like level confirmed.
... i just beat that last night, did
5-2 & 5-3
back to back, fell by mistake and dropped all those souls >.< and couldnt get em back

kyubajin

DMPrince said:
if they were there shouldn't have been freezes ;P
;) But just how many devs patch their games even before they're officially out just to ensure the quality everyone expects from their products!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
fuzzyreactor said:
just watched him fight a boss in stream. game looks much easier :(
Early on, I guess.

kyubajin

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
The addition of motion blur is welcome, to me at least. The game just looks fucking incredible.
I wholeheartedly agree, it seems like a quantum leap from Demon's Souls technical department. I'm even glad they decided to keep the styrofoam corpses, it's definitely a staple of the Souls games now :D

Orayn

darkjedi187 said:
I liked the world tendencies. It gave the worlds more character.
I get the feeling that
humanity, optional bosses, and covenants will still affect the levels to some degree.

Orayn said:
I get the feeling that
humanity, optional bosses, and covenants will still affect the levels to some degree.

Hope so. Anyone see the story about FROM soft is putting extra black phantoms on the servers to deal with illegal copes going out.

Orayn said:
I get the feeling that
I'm with you. Strong feeling these things will influence the game in a more productive, unique and complex way.

Orayn

darkjedi187 said:
Hope so. Anyone see the story about FROM soft is putting extra black phantoms on the servers to deal with illegal copes going out.
Haha, yes, we were probably some of the first Westerners to know. I think it's a very fun, fitting way of chastising people for breaking street date.

Orayn

shadyspace said:
This stream is awesome. Wish I had a way to play this. Maybe I can convince a friend to get it :lol
Check Craigslist for 360 or PS3 maybe? Surely there are at least a few other exclusives you're interested in.

shadyspace said:
This stream is awesome. Wish I had a way to play this. Maybe I can convince a friend to get it :lol
Shopgoodwill.com sometimes has stuff, but it's more an auction format.

This game will make ya do crazy things!

Zeliard

lol just randomly looked up some Dark Souls info because I was curious about the Humanity stuff, and saw this:

Black Stone (Curse - Gravelord sign)
This stone is used to apply a curse to other player's world that will increase the difficulty of their surroundings, spawning more enemies and black phantoms. The tradeoff is that the other player will be able to find a sign that allows him to come take revenge in your world.

That is like the coolest fucking thing ever.

Zeliard said:
lol just randomly looked up some Dark Souls info because I was curious about the Humanity stuff, and saw this:

This stone is used to apply a curse to other player's world that will increase the difficulty of their surroundings, spawning more enemies and black phantoms. The tradeoff is that the other player will be able to find a sign that allows him to come take revenge in your world.

Hehe ya its pretty awesome. It's listed in the OT as well :p

Orayn

shadyspace said:
Is there any kind of story?
Yes, but a lot of it comes from cryptic dialogue, subtle hints in level and enemy design, and not a lot in the way of cutscenes. From loves the "Show, don't tell." approach, and they pull it off quite well.

Orayn said:
Yes, but a lot of it comes from cryptic dialogue, subtle hints in level and enemy design, and not a lot in the way of cutscenes. From loves the "Show, don't tell." approach, and they pull it off quite well.
Awesome. That's my preferred approach to story in games.

Orayn

It also has atmosphere out the wazoo. You probably saw from the streams, but the art direction, sound, ambient noise, and animations are positively saturated with a bleak dark fantasy feel. It's not to the point of being oppressive, but it supports the gameplay incredibly well.

Orayn said:
It also has atmosphere out the wazoo. You probably saw from the streams, but the art direction, sound, ambient noise, and animations are positively saturated with a bleak dark fantasy feel. It's not to the point of being oppressive, but it supports the gameplay incredibly well.
This man knows!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Well..it's Dark Souls day. Will pick up the game in a few hours. Sucks to wake up to news about PSN down and day one patches for freezes but hey..that's what Dark Souls does..takes no prisoners.

Foffy

Banned
Apparently, according to a user on GameFAQs who has had the game for a while, FromSoft just recently released patch 1.1 for the game.

Goddammit, they're fast. And phenomenal. FromSoft and CD Projekt Red are the two best developers this generation for supporting their fans and games.

Raide

Foffy said:
Apparently, according to a user on GameFAQs who has had the game for a while, FromSoft just recently released patch 1.1 for the game.

Goddammit, they're fast. And phenomenal. FromSoft and CD Projekt Red are the two best developers this generation for supporting their fans and games.

Good to hear they are jumping on it quickly.

ironcreed

Banned
Zeliard said:

What makes it even cooler is that it is an RPG that is branching out and making multiplayer something unique for a change. Something that is interactive, yet involves the single player experience at the same time.

Foffy said:

That's like standing in the rain with the sun shining and loving it.

Can't believe their quickness! Gold of the industry

Foffy said:

we'll see when the game is out and a few months down the road.

Orayn

We won't be completely sure until after release, but there haven't been any major problems with the 360 version we've seen used at various shows.

Foffy

Banned
DMPrince said:
we'll see when the game is out and a few months down the road.

Well, in the case of From, their idea is to offer as much game as possible, which is why there will be no DLC. They believe items and areas that are downloadable make the game unfair for those who don't have them.

I guess this is why they have lots of optional areas and bosses in the core game. They're there for the dedicated, not those who spent extra money. Which is the way it should be.

Orayn

I wouldn't mind large-ish expansions like what GTA IV or RDR got, though. Maybe they could even be standalone to prevent the "JUST WAIT FOR THE GOTY EDITION!" effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom