• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.
1stStrike said:
I loved the look and feel of the place. It is fairly linear, but that's probably because it isn't a place you'll be spending a lot of time in.

Oh and... yeah, I can't imagine facing off against all the mobs there without a shield. Not only do they hit like a truck, but most of them do
lightning
damage. There's even some guys towards the end that use
faith skills like heal and force to fuck you up.

While the bosses are doable without a shield, it'll definitely be more difficult - plus, there's a certain section of Anor Londo that involves
archers
which is probably going to make you want to throw your controller out of frustration ;)

I agree, it is GORGEOUS and the design of it is magnificent except that it just doesn't fit with the design intentions of the game. And fighting the mobs without a shield took a little bit. The sentinels are easy, the demon things with staves took a little bit to learn but are now easy... the main problem I am still having trouble fighting without a shield and no health are the Knights... they attack entirely too fast, and they are extremely difficult to stagger.

And the part you are describing took me like an hour to get past. I finally figured out I could engage the one blocking my path and get him to switch to melee and try to attack me and fall off. Not to mention the
narrow rafters in the church with the assassin
. No shield meant no blocking which equaled falling off hundreds of times.

psy18

putarorex said:
I have put about 70 hours into the game. The last half of that has been pretty fun with very little frustration. However, I am hitting a wall with the last few zones. I just hit a boss that is frankly plain stupid
boss in lost izalith
. I tried 10 times on my own, and then 10 times after reading the strategy at the Japanese wiki page.
It seems that toward the end of the boss battle, you have to jump down to a narrow branch and then run up that branch to make your final attack. I either get killed before I can even make the jump or miss the branch. hehe.

I guess I'll finally open Dead Island and give that a try. : )

Attack the dome barriers on left and right of the boss. When destroyed it will smash center floor. Drop down to a branch path there (look for the wide one, it shouldnt be too hard). Make your way to the inside of the boss. Just need 1-2 real hit to kill the boss inside of it. Remind me of Dragon God in demon's soul

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Is there a shortcut from blight town to the outside world, or do i have to go through the depths if i want to go there later ?

Trying to decide if i want to tackle it now or go to the forest first.

Speevy

Banned
From what I've experienced so far, if you're picking a magic user just so you can kill things and stay out of danger, you're not going to make it very far.

Balehead

Thanks for the reply guys. Guess I'll just keep on going then, too bad. A bad habit from every other game ended up being costly. Nothing game ending I suppose, I haven't had problems like that with others so, maybe I'm fine.

Artchur

Question about that big thing on the bridge near the beginning...

I shot him in the head from the knight tower with one arrow and it died... 10000 souls... bug? drake sword lost to me now?

Booshka

Kandrick said:
Is there a shortcut from blight town to the outside world, or do i have to go through the depths if i want to go there later ?

Trying to decide if i want to tackle it now or go to the forest first.
Yes there is a shortcut at the end of blight town

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
FootNinja said:
This game is harder than demons souls but fair so far. I reallllllly wish I could find my preferred weapon type though. No katana in sight :(
You will find one after the 3rd boss.

1stStrike said:
You're technically going in backwards, though there's really no "correct" way in this game I suppose. To fight those "hopping" guys - just lure them to face right and then when they start their attack move left and get to their side and chop away till they die. Once you figure that out it's pretty easy.

When I asked about the key to blight town, I was told to use it near the merchant in the depths that sold the bottomless box to me; would I have a better time going in from the drake valley side, if they're connected?

1stStrike

Banned
whalleywhat said:
I died to one of those fire bugs for a dumb reason, then had some camera troubles and walked off the side of a ledge, then finally made it to the swamp and didn't really know where to go before getting surrounded by bugs and some sort of leaping slug. I've got plenty of purple moss, but I hope my arrows last. I had to stop for now.

Pro tip/spoilers:
Use soul arrow if you have it as you can recharge it bonfires and it will save you arrows. Also, towards the back where the slug guys are - there's a tree that has a path in it. Run up the path, you'll reach a dead end with an item. Attack the wall. Then you find a chest. Attack that wall and run through to the bonfire. Congrats - you've found an entirely new area with tons of items in it. Once you venture to the bottom of THAT, you find yet another area (a giant lake) which has the Dragon Covenant in it.

GodlyPerfection said:
I agree, it is GORGEOUS and the design of it is magnificent except that it just doesn't fit with the design intentions of the game. And fighting the mobs without a shield took a little bit. The sentinels are easy, the demon things with staves took a little bit to learn but are now easy... the main problem I am still having trouble fighting without a shield and no health are the Knights... they attack entirely too fast, and they are extremely difficult to stagger.

And the part you are describing took me like an hour to get past. I finally figured out I could engage the one blocking my path and get him to switch to melee and try to attack me and fall off. Not to mention the
narrow rafters in the church with the assassin
. No shield meant no blocking which equaled falling off hundreds of times.

I ended up using
force to just knock him off the cliff

The trick with the knights is to
get close, and then immediately back up as they wind up their attack or try to shield bash you. Then when they miss, get a hit or two in. Rinse and repeat.

And... the rafters part was pretty easy. I just
shot them with a bow from far out, then either picked them off with arrows as they were trying to run straight towards me on a beam, or tanked their throwing knives until they ran out and ran at me. Hell, some of them even randomly glitched out and threw themselves off the beams lol. It was pretty easy, really.

QisTopTier said:
Just beat
4 kings... lol POISE > 4KINGS this is why I want to make a tank character for my second play through I swear :D

I might do that as an exact opposite to what I'm playing. I always like to learn to maneuver and dodge in a game first before I try anything else. So no shield, 9 vitality, and 10 weight of armor for me. Getting one shotted 50% of the time will teach you to not take things lightly.

Then with a tank I can just sit back and relax... lol...

Instro

Artchur said:
Question about that big thing on the bridge near the beginning...

I shot him in the head from the knight tower with one arrow and it died... 10000 souls... bug? drake sword lost to me now?
Apparently thats a well known bug.

V_Arnold

GodlyPerfection said:
I might do that as an exact opposite to what I'm playing. I always like to learn to maneuver and dodge in a game first before I try anything else. So no shield, 9 vitality, and 10 weight of armor for me. Getting one shotted 50% of the time will teach you to not take things lightly.

Not in this game, lol. Nothing allows you to just sit back and relax, as you will have not enough endurance to block block bossstrings anyway :p

1stStrike

Banned
corrosivefrost said:
When I asked about the key to blight town, I was told to use it near the merchant in the depths that sold the bottomless box to me; would I have a better time going in from the drake valley side, if they're connected?

Oh, it's late, sorry. You're going in the "right" way. The drake valley way, though,
would let you bypass all of BlightTown. You kill 3 of the troll dudes in the tunnel, ride the waterwheel down and... congrats, you're in the swamp and right next to the mountain where the boss is at. The swamp bonfire is to the left of the waterwheel after you come down in a small cave. Also, before taking the waterwheel down you can find some armor off a corpse and a firekeepers soul.

This way might be easier. I'll probably try that next time instead of going the normal way.

1stStrike said:
Pro tip/spoilers:
Use soul arrow if you have it as you can recharge it bonfires and it will save you arrows. Also, towards the back where the slug guys are - there's a tree that has a path in it. Run up the path, you'll reach a dead end with an item. Attack the wall. Then you find a chest. Attack that wall and run through to the bonfire. Congrats - you've found an entirely new area with tons of items in it. Once you venture to the bottom of THAT, you find yet another area (a giant lake) which has the Dragon Covenant in it.

I ended up using

get close, and then immediately back up as they wind up their attack or try to shield bash you. Then when they miss, get a hit or two in. Rinse and repeat.

shot them with a bow from far out, then either picked them off with arrows as they were trying to run straight towards me on a beam, or tanked their throwing knives until they ran out and ran at me. Hell, some of them even randomly glitched out and threw themselves off the beams lol. It was pretty easy, really.

I wasn't able to take any of the knives cuz they staggered me and made me fall. And I ran out of arrows hence my complaint of the one entrance one exit. AND if I had access to a merchant I would also have bought that miracle for that other situation. It just feels like too secluded of an area and it has been a frustrating area. I've LOVED the game even when I got stuck fighting through one area, but something about this place just gets on my nerves. Oh well. It shouldn't take long to beat the bosses. Bosses are actually easier than the knights for me lol... maybe I'll get the timing down for counter attacking your way soon. Who knows.

yeb

Beat Blight Town earlier, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. The framerate can be really bad, but it's also possible to move the camera and lure enemies so you never have to fight like that. However, I did lose about 30k souls to various deaths today.

First was on my way through Blight Town, my only two deaths on the way down just had to be back to back. Seems par for the course, though.

Second loss was very annoying. On my way back out,
I took the waterwheel that leads to the Valley of the Drakes. I went across a log bridge that lead to a red sorcerer set and a spell, but then I couldn't get back across the bridge and slipped off to my death. On my way back, my weapon started to wear out but I was able to recover the corpse... only to fall off the damn log again. Third time I die before reaching it because I wasn't used to my backup weapon.

Lost some more on my trip back to
the Asylum. Fell into the boss room and died quickly, then my corpse was right under him when I returned and I died before reaching it. After exploring the place and getting a few thousand more, I tried him again only to fail some more.

putarorex

psy18 said:
Attack the dome barriers on left and right of the boss. When destroyed it will smash center floor. Drop down to a branch path there (look for the wide one, it shouldnt be too hard). Make your way to the inside of the boss. Just need 1-2 real hit to kill the boss inside of it. Remind me of Dragon God in demon's soul

I knew the basic strategy but thanks anyways. After I made my post I tried some more and got to where I could pull off what was really causing trouble
timing the run to make the jump down to the branch.
Once I did that I was able to finish off the boss pretty quickly. Ah...the sweet sense of satisfaction. This game is crazy. : )

V_Arnold said:
Not in this game, lol. Nothing allows you to just sit back and relax, as you will have not enough endurance to block block bossstrings anyway :p

Compared to getting one shotted by trash mobs, that should be much easier. lol... I'm still running mostly starter thief/wanderer gear and 9 vitality. My estus flask heals more health than I actually have... rofl.

Getting one shotted and having to re-run through everything has been frustrating but it allows me to do something unique and difficult. A sort of personal achievement. I will beat my first run through as a pure glass cannon. That is my goal.

1stStrike said:
Oh, it's late, sorry. You're going in the "right" way. The drake valley way, though,
would let you bypass all of BlightTown. You kill 3 of the troll dudes in the tunnel, ride the waterwheel down and... congrats, you're in the swamp and right next to the mountain where the boss is at. The swamp bonfire is to the left of the waterwheel after you come down in a small cave. Also, before taking the waterwheel down you can find some armor off a corpse and a firekeepers soul.

This way might be easier. I'll probably try that next time instead of going the normal way.

That's the path I took, I also used the drake valley way for when I left the tutorial to grab
Astora's Straight Sword
and ran my way all the way to the bonfire by
the blacksmith and sen's fortress
. It cut off a lot of playtime... lol. And it was much more entertaining to play the first section backwards for the hell of it to get used to the game.

1stStrike

Banned
GodlyPerfection said:

I'm playing a tank character right now. It's no walk in the park and having less mobility at times has gotten me killed. The thing about this game is that, sure while I take less damage when I'm decked out in heavy armor, it's not a huge amount. When you're a tank character it's all about managing your stamina. If you run out and you can't block that incoming attack you're probably going to get staggered and then lose a huge chunk of HP (or die).

There's still some bosses/mobs that 1 shot me as well. I've gone in with the highest defense armor in the game - pretty much a walking tank - and been annihilated by a single attack.

Armor does have its benefits, and the benefit varies depending on the armor (for example: the
stone armor has very high lightning resist - so with that set equipped I don't take any damage when I block lightning attacks
), but whether you have a high mobility build or a tank build you want to avoid taking direct damage.

Being a tank class does give you a little bit of breathing room, though. With a heavy shield you can go into most boss fights, lock on and just keep your shield up and absorb some hits to see what the boss is gonna do and how they do it. You don't have to run and roll all over the place.

At this point, with 33 endurance, and the ring that
boosts hp/endurance/load
I can take about 3 - 4 hits from most enemies (or 1 - 2 from a bosses strong attack) without taking any damage. Since most attacks are either singular or two swipes - this means that, with proper stamina management I should take very little damage.

However, if I get all gung hoe then I die - as I can't run fast nor can I roll fast.

Antagon

just started a new game to see if I could get the weapon from the tutorial boss.

It needs 46 strength. kinda ridiculous. Looks cool though.

1stStrike said:
Pro tip/spoilers:

Awesome! I setup base camp just down by that chest and quit out last night. I was put off by large amounts of "treasure!" signs on the floor and then when I got to it another saying trap so I legged it aha

1stStrike said:
I'm playing a tank character right now. It's no walk in the park and having less mobility at times has gotten me killed. The thing about this game is that, sure while I take less damage when I'm decked out in heavy armor, it's not a huge amount. When you're a tank character it's all about managing your stamina. If you run out and you can't block that incoming attack you're probably going to get staggered and then lose a huge chunk of HP (or die).

There's still some bosses/mobs that 1 shot me as well. I've gone in with the highest defense armor in the game - pretty much a walking tank - and been annihilated by a single attack.

Armor does have its benefits, and the benefit varies depending on the armor (for example: the
stone armor has very high lightning resist - so with that set equipped I don't take any damage when I block lightning attacks
), but whether you have a high mobility build or a tank build you want to avoid taking direct damage.

Being a tank class does give you a little bit of breathing room, though. With a heavy shield you can go into most boss fights, lock on and just keep your shield up and absorb some hits to see what the boss is gonna do and how they do it. You don't have to run and roll all over the place.

At this point, with 33 endurance, and the ring that
boosts hp/endurance/load
I can take about 3 - 4 hits from most enemies (or 1 - 2 from a bosses strong attack) without taking any damage. Since most attacks are either singular or two swipes - this means that, with proper stamina management I should take very little damage.

However, if I get all gung hoe then I die - as I can't run fast nor can I roll fast.

Yeah you guys still have it tough, but that breathing room has got to be nice. But I do understand that without proper stamina management you will get beaten to a pulp without being able to retaliate because of a stagger. There are times I wish I had that breathing room, but being a full on glass cannon is just so much fun to me. lol...

Can't wait till I rank up enough in my covenant... cuz then I'll get
the Darkmoon Blade miracle which is just a much more powerful version of Crystal Magic Weapon
. Oh the damage I will deal :). I'm currently two-handing an
Astora's Straight Sword... been using it my whole playthrough because of it's great initial stats as well as the stat scaling with Dex, Str, AND Faith at a C rating EACH.
Meaning my weapon is just going to keep improving and improving as I level. Even at much higher levels to about 250ish... lol. If I ever dedicate the time to get there.

1stStrike

Banned
Johnlenham said:
Awesome! I setup base camp just down by that chest and quit out last night. I was put off by large amounts of "treasure!" signs on the floor and then when I got to it another saying trap so I legged it aha

Just be prepared. That place isn't like anywhere else you've been yet and the method of traversal is rather... unique.

Once you get outside there's also a surprise waiting for you.
You'll be at a giant lake - one of the most gorgeous areas in the entire game - with a 8 headed serpent that you'll need to fight to press on. He's pretty easy though - just get close, defend and when he slams his heads onto the ground chop at them until the middle two - three come off. Then range him with arrows and he'll die in no time. After that - fight the clam dudes (they hurt so make sure you're prepared - they do drop some awesome stuff, though - and then head on over to the end where the Dragon is if you want to join the covenant.

Riposte

Hahaha, spent the last hour doing suicide runs in the ruins under the hub. Took me awhile to realize to I wasn't suppose to go there(hit a dead end). Got some rare items and it was funny watching like 20 ghosts chase me through walls.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
1stStrike said:
Pro tip/spoilers:

I ended up using

Did you find the hidden wall under the second bell? Any idea what that Chaos Servant covenant is about?

Kusagari said:
How in the hell do you fight the
Stray Demon
? The second I drop down he destroys me.

As you are falling do a drop attack... it will allow you to roll out of there quicker than just hitting the ground. Then I just run and jump past him... I suggest his right side since his horizontal swing over swings his left side. After that it is all about just keeping close and backing off when he preps to
slam his hammer into the ground which results in a hitbox that includes the area around his tail

1stStrike

Banned
Kusagari said:
How in the hell do you fight the
Stray Demon
? The second I drop down he destroys me.

Drop down and immediately roll to avoid the stagger, then pop a flask, run up close to him and keep to his left leg (your right) throughout the fight. His only vulnerable area is his ass and you won't have much time to attack - maybe 1 - 2 swipes. Don't rely on lock on and don't let him corner you.

Also,
he does a frontal cone attack that will 1 shot you if you're in front of it. Thus the reason you need to stay behind him as much as possible.

It's not an easy fight and it does require some patience. The speed it goes will entirely depend on whether you can do significant damage to him or not.

Speaking of which - I battled the
necromancer
earlier and he died in 5 hits from my lightning spear. I was pretty underwhelmed. The entire boss fight lasted about 15 seconds.

1stStrike

Banned
Papercuts said:
Did you find the hidden wall under the second bell? Any idea what that Chaos Servant covenant is about?

Yeah. You get
a pretty sweet new pyro spell (that I can't use) and you can buy some other spells as well from the weird dude (who freaked me out and I killed). Also, make sure you talk to the pyromancer back in firelink shrine after you get the spell as it'll further his story a little.

That's about it, though. It's a pyromancer's paradise - nobody else will get much use out of it.

Papercuts

1stStrike said:
Yeah. You get
a pretty sweet new pyro spell (that I can't use) and you can buy some other spells as well from the weird dude (who freaked me out and I killed). Also, make sure you talk to the pyromancer back in firelink shrine after you get the spell as it'll further his story a little.

That's about it, though. It's a pyromancer's paradise - nobody else will get much use out of it.

Oh shit, I'm a pyromancer. :D

I'm currently in the Forest Hunter covenant with the cat thing, but I basically left the area right after. I'm guessing there's repercussions for joining another?

1stStrike said:
Yeah. You get

Which is the exact reason why
I killed her for her Firekeeper's soul... MWAHAHAHAHA!!! lol...

Papercuts said:
Oh shit, I'm a pyromancer. :D

I'm currently in the Forest Hunter covenant with the cat thing, but I basically left the area right after. I'm guessing there's repercussions for joining another?

If you aren't careful you may end up in the Book of the Guilty. Resulting in being hunted by people like me... members of the
Blade of the Darkmoon
. We are not people you want to piss off.

So I saved a pyromancer and he gave me a spell, it doesn't say how much int I need to use it and whenever I try to use it nothing happens, any idea how to get it to work?

Okay, finally put the game down for the day. Started with 2 hours of progress, ended the day with 25. O_O

I was farming Humanity for a good 6 hours at one point while I did other things, though (
Elegant Butterfly farming. Kept dropping the white stone to be summoned over and over
).

Still, that's a hell of a long session for me. Haven't had one of those in quite a while. Kudos, From Software.

Papercuts

GodlyPerfection said:
If you aren't careful you may end up in the Book of the Guilty. Resulting in being hunted by people like me... members of the
Blade of the Darkmoon
. We are not people you want to piss off.

Come at me bro(s)!

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Booshka said:
Yes, go back to where the merchant was right before you fought him, on the other side of the gate but in that room, there should be a doorway lit up. It is a staircase that leads back to the bonfire in the Depths
Thank you! Curse is now gone!

And I now have 25k souls to spend! Might not seem like a lot for you that are at level 70, but at level 17, it's a King's ransom. I was white knuckled trying to get back to the main camp.

NBtoaster

How do you invade? I'm human, and am using the crack eye orb, but it doesn't work.

edit: figured it out, you can't do it in safe areas like near the blacksmith.

Kinda sucks though, I got 3 fail to find worlds and 1 world found, where I died quickly. If the search fails you should be reimbursed!

Carcetti

It's amazing how this game rewards practice. I got tired of sorcery and made a melee pyromancer. With something like soul level 12 I ran through everything that gave me trouble so far, including meleeing Capra Demon to death on first try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom