• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

Think I just got invaded by a vagrant? It was dark red, said something about "Dark Knight Kirk" or something like that. I killed him though and got a humanity for my trouble (There was no trouble).

Booshka

RiccochetJ said:
So is there any shortcut I can use from the
Gaping Dragon
back to Firelink Shrine? I want to get out of this hellhole and eventually get rid of this curse I currently have.
Yes, go back to where the merchant was right before you fought him, on the other side of the gate but in that room, there should be a doorway lit up. It is a staircase that leads back to the bonfire in the Depths

Oh, God. Am I screwed?

So after ringing the first bell, I accidentally took a swing at the blacksmith before the next boss to advance in the game. Now he's sitting at the bottom of the stairs after the bonfire, just waiting to attack. I've tried to take him on twice and been annihilated. Is it possible to kill him? Is it possible to make him non-aggressive again?

Dresden

Crunchy20XX said:
Oh, God. Am I screwed?

So after ringing the first bell, I accidentally took a swing at the blacksmith before the next boss to advance in the game. Now he's sitting at the bottom of the stairs after the bonfire, just waiting to attack. I've tried to take him on twice and been annihilated. Is it possible to kill him? Is it possible to make him non-aggressive again?
Go back to where
you rang the bell, I think the NPC there can wipe out aggro for a fee.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Crunchy20XX said:
Oh, God. Am I screwed?

Yes, after you beat the
Gargoyle
, you can under the tower and talk to a dude that deletes all NPC aggro.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
My first encounter with the Depths boss, i summoned another player on my way there, and we killed him in under 20seconds haha, we also cut his tail, it that was pretty cool. That was my first co-op experience with both DS games, i never saw any sign when i played Demon's Souls, but that was maybe because i played through Demon's Souls this summer, in europe, and at odd hours.

Aside from being easier, it is definitely way more fun to play with other people!

My only complaint about Dark Souls so far, and it is a big one, is the framerate, and when i read people saying it is even worse in Blightown, i don't want to really go there.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Fucking forest! Got invaded 3 times, one of them being two people at once. Any places to get a good shield? I feel like that's something crucial I need now.

Yoshichan said:
Yes, after you beat the
Gargoyle
, you can under the tower and talk to a dude that deletes all NPC aggro.

Thank you so much! I'm new to this and I'm already on the verge of a nervous breakdown over this game (but in a good way?) If I had to start over now, I would have lost it.

dewkl

Neo Member
dewkl said:
could someone please explain where the merchant in sen's fortress is?
found him. you need to jump over the ledge at the other side of where the guy is throwing those boulders

Booshka

Crunchy20XX said:
Thank you so much! I'm new to this and I'm already on the verge of a nervous breakdown over this game (but in a good way?) If I had to start over now, I would have lost it.
Starting over from there wouldnt be a big deal, it is still early, despite how much time it took you. That is something you learn as you play more, going through areas multiple times makes you much quicker at the game in general.

psy18

Hey guys! Look what i've found!

i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/amonamano/Dark%20Souls/RedTSlab.jpg
i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/amonamano/Dark%20Souls/RedTChunk.jpg
Both dropped by respawnable enemies!

I wonder if other enemies have the other types too
(New Londo Knights have titatine chunks drop)
. If yes it will make weapon smithing and getting those weapon trophies far less annoying compared to Demon's soul

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
QisTopTier said:
shoot it in the face. then run

Jeez, that actually did the trick. Amazing! Thank you!

Can I actually get all the way past him this way?

edit: I'm speedy as hell, so I should be able to make it to the bonfire?

Hawkian said:
Sooo...

Any ideas?
You can try shooting one arrow at him from there and book it to the bonfire that's under him until he leaves, then pick up your souls. Make sure to stay close to re wall while passing him/the souls cause he lands right about where your souls are. Don't pick them up till your sure he's gone.

Edit: lol congrats

bwahaha poor (depths spoiler)
gaping dragon
. went down first try with the zweihander 2H. So easy not to get hit, especially compared to
capra demon in the tiny box room.

this whole
chopping off tails
business is awesome.

Question pertaining Drake Sword
Do I need my dexterity to be a certain level? I've put so many arrows into this fucker and his tail hasn't fallen off. Any ideas? I'm rolling a Pyro and my DEX is only 10. Do I need to raise this?

Booshka

Proposed Law said:
Do I need my dexterity to be a certain level? I've put so many arrows into this fucker and his tail hasn't fallen off. Any ideas? I'm rolling a Pyro and my DEX is only 10. Do I need to raise this?
12 makes it easier.

KAOz

Short bus special
Eastern
armor fucking rules. Got high defense, and with my current endurance I'm rolling like I'm naked.

On the way to the Lower Parts of Undead Burg now. Soul level 37. Do I have a chance?

NarcissisticJay said:
do you seriously talk like this?
Umm...no. But hey, it got someone to read it. I just thought it was a cool detail in the game.

Booshka said:
I set down a summon sign at the belltower, I want to help some ppl finish the boss, I'm level 49 so it'll be a breeze, but with the games p2p matchmaking, is it possible to help out lower level characters with early bosses, or will I never get summoned.
You can only get summoned by someone who is at your soul level +/- 10%. Better try a more challenging area (if you mean the 1st bellower).

1stStrike

Banned
Proposed Law said:

You're doing about 3 damage or so per hit right now. You'll do vastly more by raising dex to 12. If you're not focusing on bows you shouldn't need to go higher than that.

Sye d'Burns

Necromanti said:
I feel like my love for this game just does not stop growing.

Sappy story:

I was summoned by the same knight twice, and we fought valiantly together. He would stand as a vanguard while I would limber behind the enemy and stab my sweet, sweet dagger deep inside their souls. It's even more satisfying being a thief and having someone as bait, and being able to laugh at others' pitiful backstab damage. Through sweat, blood, and tears, we toiled. The twin
gargoyles
rained fire everywhere around us, and at moments it seemed like the end. But then we both landed the final blow on our respective
gargoyle
, and my Hollowed frame started to vanish back to my realm. I lumbered back to the blacksmith, a bit sad that the experience ended so quickly, and went to upgrade my Bandit Dagger to +5 with my newfound souls. Then, in the distance, I hear it. A bell tolls, and I know that it is my comrade ringing our victory out to the world. *sheds a tear*
I didn't know that I was hearing other players ring the bell all these times, so that kind of blew my mind.

I, for one, liked the story.

NarcissisticJay said:
do you seriously talk like this?

It read with a rather narcissistic tone, didn't it?

Oops.

Anor Londo has been the most linear section of the game... why the hell can you only access it and leave it from one point? It truly breaks the open worldness that I've enjoyed in Dark Souls so far. I am stuck here until I get the
Lord Vessel
because back tracking through Sen's Fortress would be a nightmare. And the bosses are no joke when you have 9 vitality, 10 weight worth of armor, and no shield... *shudders*... going forward is going to be tough.

1stStrike

Banned
whalleywhat said:
FUCK YOU BLIGHTTOWN. FUCK YOU IN THE ASS.

Aside from the FPS issues, BlightTown really isn't that big of a deal. The hard part for me was getting into the swamp, figure out what was where and constantly fending off certain airborne pests. I wore the black leather armor and the spider shield which made traversing the swamp much easier.

#1 Fuck Blight Town.
#2 Why wouldn't the giant Raven take me back? Was it cause I wasn't hollow?
#3-10 Fuck Blight Town.

Edit: @1stStrike; QUIET YOU. I can't even get into Blight Town. I manage to somehow take out the three trolls and the new hoping crazy idiots kill me. :(

Anyone else having problems switching lock-on targets? I have to flick the analog stick around like 5-6 times in order to change the target.

Booshka

Necromanti said:
You can only get summoned by someone who is at your soul level +/- 10%. Better try a more challenging area (if you mean the 1st bellower).
Gonna try
Gaping Dragon
instead.

Balehead

I think I just done fucked up. Help me out someone who's rung the 1st bell at
top of the church, after gargoyles
, moment after that:
So I slid down the ladder and took a swing at the "statue", except that it was a shiny dude. Had to kill the mf'er since he wouldn't just let it slide. Killed him, and got his stuff. Was he someone important?

How do I allow myself to be summoned into someone else's boss fight? I'm currently hollow and put my white soapstone in front of the door to the gargoyles, but been sitting there a while and nothing's happening. Do I just wait? (BTW, I've already beaten the boss)

1stStrike

Banned
GodlyPerfection said:
Anor Londo has been the most linear section of the game... why the hell can you only access it and leave it from one point? It truly breaks the open worldness that I've enjoyed in Dark Souls so far. I am stuck here until I get the
Lord Vessel
because back tracking through Sen's Fortress would be a nightmare. And the bosses are no joke when you have 9 vitality, 10 weight worth of armor, and no shield... *shudders*... going forward is going to be tough.

I loved the look and feel of the place. It is fairly linear, but that's probably because it isn't a place you'll be spending a lot of time in.

Oh and... yeah, I can't imagine facing off against all the mobs there without a shield. Not only do they hit like a truck, but most of them do
lightning
damage. There's even some guys towards the end that use
faith skills like heal and force to fuck you up.

While the bosses are doable without a shield, it'll definitely be more difficult - plus, there's a certain section of Anor Londo that involves
archers
which is probably going to make you want to throw your controller out of frustration ;)

putarorex

I have put about 70 hours into the game. The last half of that has been pretty fun with very little frustration. However, I am hitting a wall with the last few zones. I just hit a boss that is frankly plain stupid
boss in lost izalith
. I tried 10 times on my own, and then 10 times after reading the strategy at the Japanese wiki page.
It seems that toward the end of the boss battle, you have to jump down to a narrow branch and then run up that branch to make your final attack. I either get killed before I can even make the jump or miss the branch. hehe.

I guess I'll finally open Dead Island and give that a try. : )

rCIZZLE

Hmm, any tips for getting past The Catacombs with a warrior? I'm at the beginning and I'm finding these damn things impossible to beat with my equipment. Is there any benefit to having a warrior? I remember using magic on Demon's Souls and destroying everything lol.

I tried going the other way at the start but I was getting insta-killed by those dhalsim-armed ghost fuckers.

KAOz

Short bus special
Balehead said:
, moment after that:
So I slid down the ladder and took a swung at the "statue", except that it was a shiny dude. Had to kill the mf'er since he wouldn't just let it slide. Killed him, and got his stuff. Was he someone important?

The dude with open arms kind of? He, erhm, he can help you cure curses easily, make NPC's you made hostile friendly again, and stuff like that.
So yes, I would say he's quite important.

seeds19

Banned
duckroll said:
Capra demon = DICK AND BALLS.

/me throws something across the room. :(

Finally i managed to beat him, i think the trick is
blocking his attacks and dancing around him and wait patiently for attack him instead of rolling and runnig like a bastard, go to the stairs and fall over him and attack make the fight easy, every hit causes him 300 damage points

My english is crap but i think i explained the secret technique properly xD.

I just killed an invader named "troll--boy"

My first reaction was oh great this guy created this character just to troll. Surely he is going to be a pain the ass. Also I was in the middle of the catacombs. So I just hid in a little knook and waited about a min. Then I hear him coming. He seemed to be using a tactic where he blasts force push type miracle every time he enters a room. Because I could hear him coming from a mile away. He runs into my room but doesn't see me in the little nook. He keeps running along out the door on the other side. I dash up behind him, go 2 handed, backstab him dead.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Balehead said:
, moment after that:
So I slid down the ladder and took a swung at the "statue", except that it was a shiny dude. Had to kill the mf'er since he wouldn't just let it slide. Killed him, and got his stuff. Was he someone important?

he has the ability to absolve you for a price if you attack an npc, also sells a curse cure and a few other items.

1stStrike

Banned
corrosivefrost said:
#1 Fuck Blight Town.
#2 Why wouldn't the giant Raven take me back? Was it cause I wasn't hollow?
#3-10 Fuck Blight Town.

Edit: @1stStrike; QUIET YOU. I can't even get into Blight Town. I manage to somehow take out the three trolls and the new hoping crazy idiots kill me. :(

You're technically going in backwards, though there's really no "correct" way in this game I suppose. To fight those "hopping" guys - just lure them to face right and then when they start their attack move left and get to their side and chop away till they die. Once you figure that out it's pretty easy.

1stStrike said:
Aside from the FPS issues, BlightTown really isn't that big of a deal. The hard part for me was getting into the swamp, figure out what was where and constantly fending off certain airborne pests. I wore the black leather armor and the spider shield which made traversing the swamp much easier.
I died to one of those fire bugs for a dumb reason, then had some camera troubles and walked off the side of a ledge, then finally made it to the swamp and didn't really know where to go before getting surrounded by bugs and some sort of leaping slug. I've got plenty of purple moss, but I hope my arrows last. I had to stop for now.

cpp_is_king said:
How do I allow myself to be summoned into someone else's boss fight? I'm currently hollow and put my white soapstone in front of the door to the gargoyles, but been sitting there a while and nothing's happening. Do I just wait? (BTW, I've already beaten the boss)

Anyone? Don't want to sit here all day if nobody's going to summon me.

Booshka

rCIZZLE said:
Hmm, any tips for getting past The Catacombs with a warrior? I'm at the beginning and I'm finding these damn things impossible to beat with my equipment. Is there any benefit to having a warrior? I remember using magic on Demon's Souls and destroying everything lol.

I tried going the other way at the start but I was getting insta-killed by those dhalsim-armed ghost fuckers.
Don't go either of those directions, go toward the rock stair path to the right of the bonfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom