• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Papercuts said:
Nope. I found it
in the Demon Ruins under blighttown. It's over by Ceaseless Discharge...the boss itself killed me but I got this so I don't give a damn. :p

I just got that armor, but I need a new weapon badly, my halberd plus five at 192 is not cutting it against those dual wield guys.

KorrZ said:
Nah! I'm pretty much the same, only killed one boss after ringing the second bell. SL53 and I just spent 4 hours today grinding large titanite shards to upgrade all my armor to +5 and some weapons. Why rush through the game there's so much you can do on the side.

On a side note, felt like a total idiot spending so long grinding to upgrade a sword and shield to +10 only to later find out after much frustration that I need to go elsewhere to use demon souls :X:X
high five! At least I'm not alone.

redhot_

Help with Londo Ruins boss...
The Four Kings.. im getting my ass kicked.. i can take down one, then i get dropped when the others come :( I need a melee tip to avoid all the crap they throw at me..

TheExodu5

Banned
Anabuhabkuss said:
I've been sitting on a limited edition copy and haven't opened it just because I'm afraid how i'll react to the framerate. There's just no excuse for that anymore.

Honestly, most of the time I don't mind it too much. But this area was both tough, long (maybe an hour and a half), and the framerate stayed at around 15-20fps most of the time, dropping many times to even 10fps. I'll be glad never to visit this place again. Much worse than 5-1 in Demon's Souls.

TheExodu5 said:
Just got through Blighttown. Did they even play their own game? I've never seen such atrocious framerate.
Yea that is probably the only thing at this point, I feel this is unacceptable.

Oh snap 20K already

KorrZ

Papercuts said:
Holy FUCK the gold-hemmed cloak set is amazingly good. Better than the elite armor stats and weighs even less than my starting gear.

I love how that set looks, like a grim reaper. My only problem with it is I haven't found a way to upgrade it. So at this point my Elite Knight Armor has surpassed it's stats.

brb

1stStrike said:
Please edit your post and add spoiler tags as you just gave away a huge chunk of info to people that might not want to be spoiled.

blackflag said:
Weird I never found that elevator in blight. I climbed the waterwheel but it didn't go anywhere. Guess I got a lot of backtracking to do. Sob

1stStrike: Edited, I always try to spoiler tag spoilers but it just slipped my mind that time D:

blackflag: I mean
the waterwheel was the "elevator" :p after riding the waterwheel up you just have to climb a bunch of ladders (which can be annoying to find as they blend in with all the other wood structures) to reach the top and a cave which leads with Valley of Drakes

Riposte

lol I think I've found my match with the skeletons/pyromancers of the Catacombs... that's the entry way to the depths right? Makes me think I am going to the wrong way. Hmmm... I guess I'll try going down the elevator to New Londor or w/e.

Loam

Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction? I'm hopelessly stuck.

My last big accomplishment was getting my first fire keepers soul and freeing the guy locked in the same building. So far I have explored around and found the follow routes:

I can go past the blacksmith and face some sort of stone monster that I do basically zero damage to, or I can backtrack a bit and use a key I picked up somewhere to free some random wizard. When I progress down the second path a bit more I come across another boss who I can actually damage this time, however I get swarmed by dogs and die in about three secs. So far I've lost 15,000 souls or so plus a good chunk of humanity and I am starting to get a bit salty.

Also I shot the tail off the dragon on the bridge which apparently granted me a pretty slick sword. If I continue to pepper him with arrows will he eventually die? Would there be repercussions to doing so?

duckroll

I opened the shortcut pre-Capra
right back to Firelink via the aquaduct.
This is going to make things much easier if I fail to beat him and have to retry over and over! :D

Kalnos

Banned
Wren said:

There was a locked door right next to the bridge the dragon breathes fire on, after the Taurus Demon. I imagine you came into that key sometime before killing the Gargoyles, that is a good place to go next

IIRC. The key was on a body right outside of the church near the once-locked gate

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Just had a "Fuck yea!" moment.

Just killed the dragon with a million teeth only using melee while cursed.

Now I need to figure out how to get the hell out of here without dying. I have the most souls I've had yet in this game.

brb

Wren said:

My last big accomplishment was getting my first fire keepers soul and freeing the guy locked in the same building. So far I have explored around and found the follow routes:

I can go past the blacksmith and face some sort of stone monster that I do basically zero damage to, or I can backtrack a bit and use a key I picked up somewhere to free some random wizard. When I progress down the second path a bit more I come across another boss who I can actually damage this time, however I get swarmed by dogs and die in about three secs. So far I've lost 15,000 souls or so plus a good chunk of humanity and I am starting to get a bit salty.

Also I shot the tail off the dragon on the bridge which apparently granted me a pretty slick sword. If I continue to pepper him with arrows will he eventually die? Would there be repercussions to doing so?

You have the Drake Sword. If you can wield if properly you can pretty much go anywhere now except maybe New Londo Ruins (you can probably do that too) without too much difficulty. That sword is OP as hell and I almost regret getting it so early :/

1stStrike

Banned
So, the convenants are cool, but I haven't been able to put any of them to practical use yet. Like, right now with the Dragon Convenant - I've been sitting around for about 45 minutes waiting just to see and I've got no bites at all. Granted, it's 3 am EST right now, so not exactly prime time - but I'm seeing messages and ghosts all around me. I guess nobody has a
dragon scale
on them or something.

On that note - my Dragon Kings GreatAxe is now +4 with 504 attack. It's such a fucking beast of an axe lol. R2 hits for over 900 damage
AOE
and knocks everything flat onto the ground.

I feel like my love for this game just does not stop growing.

Sappy story:

I was summoned by the same knight twice, and we fought valiantly together. He would stand as a vanguard while I would limber behind the enemy and stab my sweet, sweet dagger deep inside their souls. It's even more satisfying being a thief and having someone as bait, and being able to laugh at others' pitiful backstab damage. Through sweat, blood, and tears, we toiled. The twin
gargoyles
rained fire everywhere around us, and at moments it seemed like the end. But then we both landed the final blow on our respective
gargoyle
, and my Hollowed frame started to vanish back to my realm. I lumbered back to the blacksmith, a bit sad that the experience ended so quickly, and went to upgrade my Bandit Dagger to +5 with my newfound souls. Then, in the distance, I hear it. A bell tolls, and I know that it is my comrade ringing our victory out to the world. *sheds a tear*
I didn't know that I was hearing other players ring the bell all these times, so that kind of blew my mind.

Instro

So question about that Lautrec guy...
I was in the Parish and let that Lautrec out of his cell...and then died trying to kill him. Probably wasn't a good idea to aggro him. What should I expect now? Will he try to attack me next time I see him, and where will he be?

blackflag

brb said:
1stStrike: Edited, I always try to spoiler tag spoilers but it just slipped my mind that time D:

blackflag: I mean
the waterwheel was the "elevator" :p after riding the waterwheel up you just have to climb a bunch of ladders (which can be annoying to find as they blend in with all the other wood structures) to reach the top and a cave which leads with Valley of Drakes
Doh thanks. I'll start my 2hr trek back now. :) must have been too camo for me

Zeliard

duckroll said:
I opened the shortcut pre-Capra
right back to Firelink via the aquaduct.
This is going to make things much easier if I fail to beat him and have to retry over and over! :D

You're gonna enjoy that guy. :p

duckroll

Wren said:

Did you go to the top of the church where you saved the guy in the building? That's where the first major boss is.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Had to call it a night, progress got stopped on Quelaag. Actually had 2 other players at one point and that didn't work out so well. I actually was doing better before that. Starting to get most of her patterns down, just making dumb mistakes plus it's 3am. Bitch gonna die tomorrow.

Loam

duckroll said:
Did you go to the top of the church where you saved the guy in the building? That's where the first major boss is.

Yeah. I killed the
guy with the giant shield as well as the mage undead
, from the sound of things I back tracked and took the locked door you come across right after beating the taurus demon. Now I'm stuck on the
capra demon
. God damn this game is relentless.

Booshka

LOL Go parkouring like a champ in
Blighttown
, takes me about a minute or two, find the shortcut to
Valley of the Drakes
Open the door to Londo Ruins, make my way up and fall down the elevator shaft because I forgot to pull the lever.

Love this game.

Macattk15

Just got a
Jagged Ghost Blade
and it seems quite awesome ... only problem is the need for Twinkling Titanite to upgrade it.

Wren said:

I can backtrack a bit and use a key I picked up somewhere to free some random wizard. When I progress down the second path a bit more I come across another boss who I can actually damage this time, however I get swarmed by dogs and die in about three secs. So far I've lost 15,000 souls or so plus a good chunk of humanity and I am starting to get a bit salty.
Is it possible that you can give me a non-obvious hint as to how you found this path? :p
I keep hearing people mention that area and the Capra Demon, but I haven't the foggiest how to reach it.

Kalnos

Banned
Wren said:
Yeah. I killed the
guy with the giant shield as well as the mage undead
, from the sound of things I back tracked and took the locked door you come across right after beating the taurus demon. Now I'm stuck on the
capra demon
. God damn this game is relentless.

How did you get stuck on Capra Demon if you haven't gone through that door? >.> That's where it leads!

I don't think I read your quote properly the first time..

Roklie

Beat the
tauros boss
yesterday and I was wondering: where should I be putting my levels, so far I've put everything in endurance (I'm a knight, lvl 8), and another thing: what weapon should i be using at this point, i only have broadsword. :(

1stStrike

Banned
I gotta say, breathing
fire is pretty bad ass. You can turn your head into that of a dragon upon joining the dragon covenant and then you can just equip that item and spam square to do dragon breath attacks. It doesn't consume any stamina and does about 61~ damage on a lightly armored enemy and 10 - 12 damage on one with a shield up.

The damage isn't high, but I'm sure it'd scare the shit out of someone online :p

Wow. Curse fucking sucks.

If cursed, is it possible to attack the ghosts in New Londo? Or will I need specifically the curse item from the NPC? Will those ghosts wreck me as a SL 23 knight?

Necromanti said:
I feel like my love for this game just does not stop growing.

Sappy story:

I was summoned by the same knight twice, and we fought valiantly together. He would stand as a vanguard while I would limber behind the enemy and stab my sweet, sweet dagger deep inside their souls. It's even more satisfying being a thief and having someone as bait, and being able to laugh at others' pitiful backstab damage. Through sweat, blood, and tears, we toiled. The twin
gargoyles
rained fire everywhere around us, and at moments it seemed like the end. But then we both landed the final blow on our respective
gargoyle
, and my Hollowed frame started to vanish back to my realm. I lumbered back to the blacksmith, a bit sad that the experience ended so quickly, and went to upgrade my Bandit Dagger to +5 with my newfound souls. Then, in the distance, I hear it. A bell tolls, and I know that it is my comrade ringing our victory out to the world. *sheds a tear*
I didn't know that I was hearing other players ring the bell all these times, so that kind of blew my mind.
do you seriously talk like this?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Used 4 cracked red orbs, failed to invade 4 times. :\ Still haven't been invaded either.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
geebee said:
Man, that boss was a bitch after New Game +3... don't forget to summon help!
super impressed to see you on NGx3

Booshka

NarcissisticJay said:
do you seriously talk like this?
I thought of Shawn Elliot's Ralphie voice while I was reading it.

I set down a summon sign at the belltower, I want to help some ppl finish the boss, I'm level 49 so it'll be a breeze, but with the games p2p matchmaking, is it possible to help out lower level characters with early bosses, or will I never get summoned.

Speevy

Banned
I've read some of the concerns for this game in the thread, but what I'm most impressed with about this game is how From Software addressed so many cheesy shortcuts people were using in Demon's Souls.

For example, you can't stand behind something and infinite soul arrow a big boss to death while it just goes through its animations. They made magic what it should have been in the first place, a skill for more experienced players. The developers also largely cut down on the potential for cowardice. I mean you can still hang back, but in DS you could basically lure anything out in the open and take it on. Now there are enemies which just don't die that easily. Then there are the bosses, which aren't so obviously exploitable. Nothing can be caught behind a wall to my knowledge, or stand back and poison something from a safe distance. Then I'm thinking that there are fewer cheap farming spots overall. Finally, your progress is very, very slow in this game compared to DS. In the first game, if you got a hot tip from someone, you could easily find your way to a capable character in a few hours. But here, if you're a wimp, you're probably gonna lose the big battles. I'm not so sure how I feel about that, since it kind of runs counter to the "skill above all else" philosophy of Demon's Souls.

But overall, I'm happy with some of the choices they've made to keep the game vital. The key here is that even though I'm terrible at it, I still want to pick it back up, again and again.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So is there any shortcut I can use from the
Gaping Dragon
back to Firelink Shrine? I want to get out of this hellhole and eventually get rid of this curse I currently have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom