• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT2| Praise the Sun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raw64life

So is there any penalty for killing certain NPCs that would affect a NG+? I figure since I'm about to beat the game I might as well get their loot since I wont be needing them any longer.

Raw64life said:
So is there any penalty for killing certain NPCs that would affect a NG+? I figure since I'm about to beat the game I might as well get their loot since I wont be needing them any longer.

Each new game plus is a fresh cycle.

Insaniac

rayner said:
I certainly hope so, I love Homing Soul Mass, now have 4 balls surrounding me. I need more of this spell for sure!

I just got my second copy of HSM from Griggs. As a pure int sorc this spell is awesome. I wonder, does anyone know if it works against hidden body/fog ring users?

Also, I always feel boss when I single-handedly protect my co-op summoner from an invader :D

V_Arnold

Insaniac said:
I just got my second copy of HSM from Griggs. As a pure int sorc this spell is awesome. I wonder, does anyone know if it works against hidden body/fog ring users?

Also, I always feel boss when I single-handedly protect my co-op summoner from an invader :D

It does, I one-shot the rogue dude behind the Artorias (ARTOSIS!) door with this. It tracks him just fine :)

orion434

Insaniac said:

I plan go Enchanted Weapon Route and go Intelligence too, once I have the 10 Attunment slots I'll be set. I have an Iaito +5 ready when I get to the Duke's Archives, need that Magic Ember.

rogerroger22 said:
This video shows how I did it (not my video, but the tactic I used).

They respawn, but the next bonfire is right behind them pretty much.

But what I did

- take the path on your right - the one on the right won't get a line of sight to you (or shouldn't)
- jog up the arch towards them, shield down
- when at the top, roll into the wall towards the one on your right - do not block, ever. I actually unequipped my shield because holding L1 is so natural for me now
- when he draws his sword, back track to the arch - and he will jump to his death trying to follow you
- repeat for the other one if desired, or run around the corner to the next bonfire

I died for 2 hours straight on this grumbling "fucking impossible" until I decided to try it without a shield.

Awesome, will try it next time. Thanks!

Thanks Abooie as well.

darkwing

Seraphis Cain said:
Getting ready to head back into Tomb of the Giants, both to nab the ring down there and grind against the babby skeletons for a while. Not looking forward to it. :lol
that place is a nightmare

Trevelyon

is there a
warp
bonfire near or after
Nito
and how many bonfires total are in the Tomb of the Giants?

I have two so far, one near
Patches
and another a little further down, then there's a long stretch to Nito's lair that's been tripping me up.

In regards to the Black Knight Halberd, for anyone using it, is it worth upgrading? Is there a way to increase the stat bonuses on it? Right now it only at a D for STR so it feels like it won’t be a viable option for later in the game. Right now it’s destroying, but I don’t want to put too much into upgrading it if it’s not worth it.

Owensboro

darkwing said:
that place is a nightmare
Not if you get that helmet that produces light like the lantern. Then it becomes like any other zone, except you can't run everywhere (walking make it easier to not accidentally pull 3+ all-4s skeletons.

ThingontheFloor said:
In regards to the Black Knight Halberd, for anyone using it, is it worth upgrading? Is there a way to increase the stat bonuses on it? Right now it only at a D for STR so it feels like it won’t be a viable option for later in the game. Right now it’s destroying, but I don’t want to put too much into upgrading it if it’s not worth it.

From what I've noticed, unless you change the path of the upgrade, stats mods remain the same.

Also while it is only D, pimp it with twinkling tits and it'll dish out a lot of damage, even with a D. I'm currently using a Dragon Tooth +5 (D mod for STR) and its my most damaging weapon. My Great Demon Machete will outdo it once it hits +15 though (it has a B for the STR mod).

The base damage plays in to it quite a lot. I'm at STR 50, and these two weapons only differ by about 20 when maxed despite very different modifiers.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
OT3!!!!!!!!!!!

33-Hit-Combo said:
From what I've noticed, unless you change the path of the upgrade, stats mods remain the same.
That's what I was thinking too. It's particularly important with "unique" weapons like the Black Knight Halberd because you can't ever change the upgrade path. The highest you can go is +5.

I'm using a Lightning Iaito +5 and a Quelagg Furysword +5 right now but I might upgrade my Black Knight Halberd to +5 for the occasional use. I really like the weapon and I haven't seen a better use for Twinkling Titanite yet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
in the speedrun youtube video, the guy stands on the bridge near the red dragon and consumes his 'souls of undead soldier'. Why? This is a guy who is equipping weapons while going through a fog door to save precious seconds, so he wouldn't do anything without a reason. Is there a stat/damage benefit to holding onto lots of souls?

froliq

mrklaw said:
in the speedrun youtube video, the guy stands on the bridge near the red dragon and consumes his 'souls of undead soldier'. Why? This is a guy who is equipping weapons while going through a fog door to save precious seconds, so he wouldn't do anything without a reason. Is there a stat/damage benefit to holding onto lots of souls?
If I remember correctly he was waiting for the dragon to land on the bridge to cut his tail off.

IrishNinja

crap, think i posted in the wrong thread - hope this one doesn't get locked up just yet!

GODDAMMIT.

wasted like an hour trying to get the Iaito - i know the location, can't make the leap! i watched a handful of YT vids as well; even stripped down, i can't get that kinda air - i just fall in front of it and either perish or land on the bridge below, half-dead.

i'm holding circle to get a bit of momentum, then tapping forward + L2 for the leap, but it doesnt clear the distance, regardless of what angle i jump from (left, right, or off the small plank slightly stand out). how do you do this?

IrishNinja said:
crap, think i posted in the wrong thread - hope this one doesn't get locked up just yet!

GODDAMMIT.

wasted like an hour trying to get the Iaito - i know the location, can't make the leap! i watched a handful of YT vids as well; even stripped down, i can't get that kinda air - i just fall in front of it and either perish or land on the bridge below, half-dead.

i'm holding circle to get a bit of momentum, then tapping forward + L2 for the leap, but it doesnt clear the distance, regardless of what angle i jump from (left, right, or off the small plank slightly stand out). how do you do this?
I haven't gotten to this point so I'm not sure, but have you tried the other kind of jump (pressing circle while running)?

StMeph

IrishNinja said:

That's the leap attack; you just need to jump. Hold circle to run, and -- while running -- press circle again to jump.

KAOz

Short bus special
IrishNinja said:

GODDAMMIT.

Tapping forward and L2? Why not making a regular jump? You know, hold circle, start running, then tap circle to jump?

Insaniac said:
Can you NG++? Like could I eventually accumulate a ton of X spell?

Yep, unlimited NG+ I think.

The first NG+ is the biggest jump in difficulty, then NG+2-7 are a moderate increase in difficulty, then NG8+ there is no more increase in difficulty - you just keep getting stronger.

IrishNinja

KAOz said:
Tapping forward and L2? Why not making a regular jump? You know, hold circle, start running, then tap circle to jump?

StMeph said:
That's the leap attack; you just need to jump. Hold circle to run, and -- while running -- press circle again to jump.

you are both good people. off to do this!

mrklaw said:

Probably consuming souls so he could upgrade his str to 16 so he could wield the drake sword after cutting off the tail.

Quadratic

I just got the game yesterday. Any idea if the guide is still available to buy? I've been looking all over online retailers and they are completely sold out. I don't think any copies even made it to Canada. Is there any good online guides that I can check out that are good?

StMeph

Infamous Chris said:
Wait, Havel's armor and Stone Armor can't be upgraded, right?

Right.

The_Darkest_Red said:
I haven't looked at upgrading armor and shields much, but I'll definitely check those out!

Good luck. Twinkling Titanite's the game's rarest resource. Be prepared for mind-numbing farming.

OT3: Nothin' but a Tranquil Walk of Peace

Praise the Sun!

TheExodu5

Banned
Quadratic said:
I just got the game yesterday. Any idea if the guide is still available to buy? I've been looking all over online retailers and they are completely sold out. I don't think any copies even made it to Canada. Is there any good online guides that I can check out that are good?

Amazon never shipped me the guide I pre-ordered. :(

K' Dash

Dark Souls |OT3| Need Head

Dark Souls |OT3| Head Ahead

Dark Souls |OT3| Boss Ahead

Dark Souls |OT3| Try Jump

Dark Souls |OT3| Gorgeous View

uraldix

The_Darkest_Red said:
Well I still have quite a few shards to pick up from the crow at least.

I farmed for an hour last night and got 4 pieces. I had 10 humanity and the Covetous Gold Ring. I guess the one good thing is that I will never have to buy something to cure curse again because I got a ton of those stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom