• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT2| Praise the Sun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riposte

fuzzyreactor said:
what you use? i use the fury sword and seem competitive with it.

Same. It wrecks things, with a really high DEX even.

If a vanilla Scimitar gets an A DEX mod though... I'll be kicking myself.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GeekyDad said:
So, are there white and black world/character tendencies?
no sir!

Owensboro

fuzzyreactor said:
what you use? i use the fury sword and seem competitive with it.

I moved from Fury to Iato+15, but keep a Fury (and lightning spear) in my inventory just in case I hit a weak resistance boss. I'm currently boosting a Uchigatana to +15 just so I can repair less. I think my DEX is around 50? (SL99, still boosting it on my NG+)

Zzoram

Dartastic said:
Wait what? Dang. What do most people clock? Seriously. I've got Batman coming in tomorrow, and it's quite possible Dark Souls is going to be dropped because of Batman.

It depends on how much you suck and how much you soul farm.

If you are good and adventurous, you can beat the game in like 30-40 hours your first time.

Owensboro said:
I moved from Fury to Iato+15, but keep a Fury (and lightning spear) in my inventory just in case I hit a weak resistance boss. I'm currently boosting a Uchigatana to +15 just so I can repair less. I think my DEX is around 50? (SL99, still boosting it on my NG+)
you do more damage with the iaito? at 40 dex my fury outclasses my ugi +15 unless i enchant it

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yoshi, you here? I totally ignored this thread for a bit these last few weeks since people been spoilin a lot and I've been moving at a crazy slow pace (35 hours in, still haven't rung second bell). How you been progressin? Already beat it?

Zomba13

:(

Just joined the Cat convenant (forest hunter) and enjoyed it for a bit but I've learned it's bugged so the human guys in the forest who attack you (the ones you kill for the easy farming) still attack you when you're in the covenant and killing them is a sin. I went to look on the wiki for the reason the cat hates me and turns out I shouldn't have attacked them back when they decided to chase me about.

Now I'll have to pay an extortionate price to absolve me of my sins :(

Owensboro

fuzzyreactor said:
you do more damage with the iaito? at 40 dex my fury outclasses my ugi +15 unless i enchant it

I honestly don't really know, but I switch weapons around a lot depending on what I'm fighting. The fury gets more swings and is faster, the Iaito has a little more range but gets less swings-per-stamina. Disclaimer: I don't PvP ever, I just like helping people. I switch out my weapons based on what I'm fighting. What's a good mob to test damage on in NG+? The kicker with the Iaito for me is the bleed damage crit. It totally messes up some enemies if you know when you can go for the multiple hits it takes. That, and then enhancing it with a spell makes it awesome.

Abooie

Banned
Zimbardo said:
i found it best to take out Ornstein first. when its just you and Smough, i found it best to watch for when he raises his hammer over his head for his overhead smashing attack and roll right into him. he seems to almost always miss with the hammer when you do this and it leaves you right in front of him to get a few nice shots while he recovers from the swing.

i avoid or try to block his sweeping side to side hammer attacks ...but those overhead swings that he takes are golden. just roll towards him and you (should) avoid it and be right next to him for some attacks of your own.

that's how i did it anyway. seemed to work good.

i'm pure melee/bow, btw ...no spells at all.

And done! Man I need a lie down now.

Abooie

Banned
Sir Garbageman said:
So I just hit those horrible javelin archers in Anor Londo. I'm a pyro, level 50 or so equipped with a halberd + 10. For ranged combat I all the standard pyro spells a shortbow, and heavy crossbow.

What's the easiest way to deal with these guys and do they respawn? Have like 20K worth of souls up there after multiple deaths.

Also, did I miss the ember that makes lightning weapons? Haven't found it yet.

I did this bit this morning and got past on my 2nd go. Lvl 50 as well.

Get to the bottom of the final run up to the two guys. Walk fast up to the top, turn right then starting rolling facing the wall up to the knight until you get agro. Then run back down the until the Archer on the left is blocked. The archer knight you aggroed 'should' fall down.

Chakan

Finally got the Drake Sword. Those Black Knights tasted my steel now.

Loving this game. Along with Demon's Souls, these are the only games on this gen that after I started to play I lose track of time.

I finally decided to do
The Catacombs
last night after putting them off for quite some time. Turns out level 66 with a Lightning Iaito +5 might be a tad much for that area.

The
Pinwheel
fight was humorous. I think he lasted a good 15 seconds or so.

orion434

So I was having trouble with the Silver Knight Snipers on Anor Londo Exterior... tried to follow the guide to rush the right one and failed miserably, but I was actually able to snipe them from the tower where the 2 Bat Demons were. The trick is to not stand behind the pillars closer to the snipers, but the pillars in the back. The arc of the Arrows need adjustment, but they can't reach you from there. Once I got a hit... I'd switch to Poison Arrow and with 2 consecutive hits they get poisoned and I just waited there for them to die. Much better than attempting to bum-rush them.

Insaniac

Sir Garbageman said:
So I just hit those horrible javelin archers in Anor Londo. I'm a pyro, level 50 or so equipped with a halberd + 10. For ranged combat I all the standard pyro spells a shortbow, and heavy crossbow.

What's the easiest way to deal with these guys and do they respawn? Have like 20K worth of souls up there after multiple deaths.

I don't see why these guys are so hard. Just run up the first ramp, wait a little bit, then head right and up the second ramp/roof and then roll dodge the first arrow and move in for the kill. as a pyro you should be able to one-shot the archer with a great combustion

Sir Garbageman said:

This video shows how I did it (not my video, but the tactic I used).

They respawn, but the next bonfire is right behind them pretty much.

But what I did

- take the path on your right - the one on the right won't get a line of sight to you (or shouldn't)
- jog up the arch towards them, shield down
- when at the top, roll into the wall towards the one on your right - do not block, ever. I actually unequipped my shield because holding L1 is so natural for me now
- when he draws his sword, back track to the arch - and he will jump to his death trying to follow you
- repeat for the other one if desired, or run around the corner to the next bonfire

I died for 2 hours straight on this grumbling "fucking impossible" until I decided to try it without a shield.

The_Darkest_Red said:
I didn't fight her. What are the pros/cons? Can I go back?
if you kill her you can get her soul to create a unique weapon and cut off her tail for another unique weapon. also get a trophy if you kill her

Soulhouf

I noticed something strange. Unlike the other pieces of equipment, the hard leather gauntlets are the best I have (they beat elite knight, eastern and so).
It may be a bug or not...

fuzzyreactor said:
prob already posted but

First patch details

- Fixes for several effects of various magic spells (Magic Shield, Great Magic Shield, Tranquil Walk of Peace, Fog Ring, etc).
- Infinite Magic and Item bug exploit fix.
- Balance tuning for elemental weapons and stat scaling weapons.
- Tuning of the matchmaking conditions.
- Fixes for problems while loading in new areas during map changes.

so happy

does this mean the infinite souls glitch will be fixed on the next patch? if so im going offline until im level 300+. The online/invasion in this game sucks and im not spending that many hours grinding when i can do it easily.

Zomba13 said:
:(

Just joined the Cat convenant (forest hunter) and enjoyed it for a bit but I've learned it's bugged so the human guys in the forest who attack you (the ones you kill for the easy farming) still attack you when you're in the covenant and killing them is a sin. I went to look on the wiki for the reason the cat hates me and turns out I shouldn't have attacked them back when they decided to chase me about.

Now I'll have to pay an extortionate price to absolve me of my sins :(

Yeah that whole area is fucked, hope it's in the patch.

Phat Michael said:
does this mean the infinite souls glitch will be fixed on the next patch? if so im going offline until im level 300+. The online/invasion in this game sucks and im not spending that many hours grinding when i can do it easily.
As many times as you have complained about the online in this game I would think you would just stop going human. You can also join the Way of White covenant to decrease your chances of being invaded.

There is no point in leveling to 300, though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
worldrevolution said:
Yoshi, you here? I totally ignored this thread for a bit these last few weeks since people been spoilin a lot and I've been moving at a crazy slow pace (35 hours in, still haven't rung second bell). How you been progressin? Already beat it?
Hey man, I'm always here :p

Yup, beat it a couple of times by now. My first character I made was a huge failure (was just boring as hell to play) but my second one was a success! How's it going for you?

Yoshichan

Infamous Chris said:
Dark Souls |OT3| Patch 1.04 inbound, bitches
Dark Souls |OT3| Backlash is over guys, get your ass over here!

Thanks everyone on the tips for Sif. After another ~10 attempts, I decided to take a break and try to reorganize myself. Went back and remembered I never killed Havel, so I did that, got his ring, and equipped the Stone Armor I found in Darkroot. Made the Sif fight MUCH more bearable. Also finally got rid the Drake Sword, got my STR to 32 and started using the Black Knight Halberd. After finally learning his attacks and avoiding the deadly 360 spin, I killed him.

After that, I made it through the Capra Demon, Depths, and the Gaping Dragon on just a couple attempts, everything felt so EASY. It was strange to experience. Died on my way to Blighttown due to toxin… that shit is annoying. Can’t wait to get back into it.

soldat7

worldrevolution said:

Seriously. Spoilers being posted without abandon have driven me away from the thread, aside from checking in periodically. :(

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Getting ready to head back into Tomb of the Giants, both to nab the ring down there and grind against the babby skeletons for a while. Not looking forward to it. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom