• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT2| Praise the Sun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I killed the Hydra of Darkroot Basin and got my first Dragon Scale. Should I upgrade the Drake Sword or wait for something better? I intended to switch the Drake for the Black Knight Sword but I killed 5 so far with zero drops. I have the worst luck when it comes to loot :(

I need to find a better alternative to the Drake. I need a good one hand weapon with stat scaling. Any suggestions? Anything to make me forget about the DKS.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
hteng said:
he is outside, before you run up to kill that pesky undead archer that shoots you. instead of taking the left staircase, take the right walkway.

Ah yes I know the one you mean! Cheers

hteng

Banned
Phonomezer said:
FUCK SEN'S FORTRESS.

Some big thing just threw what seemed like a bomb at me and I died immediately :mad:

the bonfire can be reached from that platform but it's not visible on your field of vision, you have to drop down from the platform from the side.

Phonomezer said:
FUCK SEN'S FORTRESS.

Some big thing just threw what seemed like a bomb at me and I died immediately :mad:

See those big black charred spots ? Avoid them !

First thing should be finding the bonfire if you haven't already
(drop from the right wall after you get up a couple of stairs, easy to miss). Then you can go up and kill the big thing

BaronLundi said:
See those big black charred spots ? Avoid them !

First thing should be finding the bonfire if you haven't already
(drop from the right wall after you get up a couple of stairs, easy to miss). Then you can go up and kill the big thing

Yeah I saw it on the ground and noticed the giant on the other side, watched him for a while to see what he was up to, and he was just reloading thr boulders. Didn't even see the other guy until it was too late!

They are quite easy to kill though, thankfully.

Will try for the bonfire! Thanks guys.

Grinchy

Banned
Can you blow up the extra bombs that are on the roof? If you can I'm going to leave a message there to try to get people to do it so they blow themselves up.

Whew! Finally beat
Quelaag
with a little help from a few comrades. I don't think I would have been able to do it without the help. Decided afterwards to finally take on the Catacombs, ugh skeletons are annoying. By the time I finally found the second bonfire I was damn tired of fighting the things. I finally decided to just try a speed run and book it through the last section before the boss and man, I turned dodging those pinwheel skeletons at the end into an Olympic event. Then of course the boss went down like a chump, it was nice to finally have an easy battle for once. I figured I was just going to take the soul hit since I had just ran through every enemy on the way down, but somehow I not only managed to make it back with souls intact, but I even took down the Black Knight in the process (with no Estus Flasks left, I might add!)

Gonna stop there for tonight, but I'm finally getting to the point where I feel like I have a handle on the game.

Insaniac

Grinchy said:
Can you blow up the extra bombs that are on the roof? If you can I'm going to leave a message there to try to get people to do it so they blow themselves up.

nah they just shatter like any old pot or table

mrklaw

MrArseFace
UFRA said:
I do not have access to Darkroot Garden yet.

I am up to the point where my next goal is to go to Sen's Fortress.

Where would you guys recommend I go to farm for souls at this point?

I'm basically just trying to get enough to upgrade all of my primary equipment to standard +5 since I only have access to one blacksmith at the moment and he doesn't do Lightning or Magic reinforcement which is the path I'd like to take with some stuff. So +5 for now will do.

On a side note of lulz - I made it this far in the game using a Longsword + 2 (I refuse to use the Drake Sword :p ), and my basic knight armor at +1. For some (stupid-ass) reason, I forgot that I could buy Titanite Shards from the blacksmith, so I've been praying to find some all this time and feeling underpowered at times. Meanwhile my last trip to the blacksmith my face was like .......:O and I instantly bought like 8 Titanite Shards and upgraded most of my stuff to more reasonable levels.

Now I just want to farm some more souls, and upgrade everything nicely so I feel a bit more confident out there. :D

You can make magic weapons at the blacksmith in undead parish. At least up to +5 I think. I made a divine spear there and had a magic option too (went divine to fuck up the skeletons). You just need an ember (I think from the butterfly)

Darkroot garden you can get to - just beat the lightning monster down the stairs from the blacksmith. Its close to your bonfire so no real risk, just keep at him. butterfly is in the garden.

I'd definitely do that before going into Sen's fortress. You done the depths/Darkroot basin yet? A few good areas for farming there - depths has gaping dragon which is lots of souls for upgrading, just be careful of frogs.

Is the Astora Greatsword (the one in front of the "undead" dragon) divine or magic? It doesn't do any crazy damage to the skelies, but it stops them from getting back up.

Played a bit more. God damn it I wanted to save Siegmeyer.

When he jumped down, my frame rate went down the shitter and I was slashing the enemies like crazy and when there was one left, I went in front and Siegmeyer and he backstabbed me!

I don't know if I accidently hit him during the the framerate dropping and slashing through enemies but dam he died :/
Lost Izarith is not bad if you have a map.

Iron Flesh is OP as hell.

Naeblish

Man, those freaky scary ass catbears lol. I got one down to last bar of health, then two others jump in and the first does the move where he eats me up. Do they drop something nice?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus. Duke's Archives is harder than I was expecting. Maybe I'll try and beat T4K again.

Aaron

mrklaw said:
Darkroot garden you can get to - just beat the lightning monster down the stairs from the blacksmith. Its close to your bonfire so no real risk, just keep at him. butterfly is in the garden.
You don't have to beat him. Just walk around. He's really damned slow.

Herla

Wow finding the shortcut to Blighttown has to be one the most infuriating things in the game :(
If only I knew...

FROM trolls even while trying to help lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Herla said:
Wow finding the shortcut to Blighttown has to be one the most infuriating things in the game :(
If only I knew...

FROM trolls even while trying to help lol
hahahahha

duckroll

Aaron said:
You don't have to beat him. Just walk around. He's really damned slow.

Yeah but it's probably better to beat him anyway. It's not hard and it's good practice for the bunch of other hims you'll fight later in the game!

Aaron

duckroll said:
Yeah but it's probably better to beat him anyway. It's not hard and it's good practice for the bunch of other hims you'll fight later in the game!
Better to get all the goodies in the Garden first and slay him later. If you get there early, he can be frustrating to take on.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How do I turn myself into a vase?

Yoshichan

KAOz said:
Chameleon Spell.

You buy it from Dusk. :p
Thanks! :D

I'm playing this game more than I should be doing :/

Hi2u

Banned
ok I wanna finish off things before I beat the game. Whats the cutoff point, as I dont wanna beat it by accident. How will I know? (just beat sen's fortress)

Yoshichan

Hi2u said:
ok I wanna finish off things before I beat the game. Whats the cutoff point, as I dont wanna beat it by accident. How will I know? (just beat sen's fortress)
You've got a long, long way to go.
Later on, you'll open the three gates that were protected by some special powers. When you've beaten all three, then you're near the end of the game.

Risible

Risk Breaker said:
Is the Astora Greatsword (the one in front of the "undead" dragon) divine or magic? It doesn't do any crazy damage to the skelies, but it stops them from getting back up.

It's "cursed", that's what allow it to kill the skellies permanently.

Edit - wait, wrong sword. Thinking of the Greatsword. I believe Astora's is divine.

Styles

So I killed the Capra Demon on my first try today, so good.

I think my least favourite area would have to be The Tomb Of Giants, Lost Izalith was't that bad, save for some hick ups here and there. I'm just glad those big things don't respawn, though
you can make them kill each other!

Zimbardo

Abooie said:
Fuck Ornstein and Smough, fuck em. I can get them down to 1 but... sheesh.

Anyone outside c. lvl 50 who could lend a hand.

i found it best to take out Ornstein first. when its just you and Smough, i found it best to watch for when he raises his hammer over his head for his overhead smashing attack and roll right into him. he seems to almost always miss with the hammer when you do this and it leaves you right in front of him to get a few nice shots while he recovers from the swing.

i avoid or try to block his sweeping side to side hammer attacks ...but those overhead swings that he takes are golden. just roll towards him and you (should) avoid it and be right next to him for some attacks of your own.

that's how i did it anyway. seemed to work good.

i'm pure melee/bow, btw ...no spells at all.

prob already posted but

First patch details

- Fixes for several effects of various magic spells (Magic Shield, Great Magic Shield, Tranquil Walk of Peace, Fog Ring, etc).
- Infinite Magic and Item bug exploit fix.
- Balance tuning for elemental weapons and stat scaling weapons.
- Tuning of the matchmaking conditions.
- Fixes for problems while loading in new areas during map changes.

so happy

Insaniac

Abooie said:
Fuck Ornstein and Smough, fuck em. I can get them down to 1 but... sheesh.

Anyone outside c. lvl 50 who could lend a hand.

I always have a sign dropped in the great chamber right before em, but I'm SL64. If you do see me, go ahead and summon, I'll tear them a new one for ya

Speaking of these guys, I killed fattie Smough first, and ornstein second, was that the correct way to get some special item?

anddo0

Cloudius12 said:
Played a bit more. God damn it I wanted to save Siegmeyer.

When he jumped down, my frame rate went down the shitter and I was slashing the enemies like crazy and when there was one left, I went in front and Siegmeyer and he backstabbed me!

I don't know if I accidently hit him during the the framerate dropping and slashing through enemies but dam he died :/
Lost Izarith is not bad if you have a map.

Iron Flesh is OP as hell.

He attacks you no matter what. I think it's because he turned hollow.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Lol I went to fight the
Centipede Demon
on my first try with no Flasks and took him down to quarter health! He is too scary to try and fight again...

Zimbardo

fuzzyreactor said:
prob already posted but

First patch details

- Fixes for several effects of various magic spells (Magic Shield, Great Magic Shield, Tranquil Walk of Peace, Fog Ring, etc).

so happy

balance tuning for elemental weapons and stat scaling weapons ....what does that mean?

does it mean that my dexterity built character will get even more powerful? are they planning on upping the damage or something?

Owensboro

Zimbardo said:
balance tuning for elemental weapons and stat scaling weapons ....what does that mean?

does it mean that my dexterity built character will get even more powerful? are they planning on upping the damage or something?

That's what we're all hoping. Either that, or they are just going to nerf elemental damage to make it more in line with stat scaling (which would suck). It doesn't make sense for a character that is stacking DEX to be using a lighting weapon because it does more damage.....at least.... that is what I hope FROM is realizing.

Zimbardo said:

not sure yet but i guess either nerf elemental damage or increase stat scaling on weapons. either way, your dex build will be more viable and this gaem will be much more interesting pvp wise

Riposte

fuzzyreactor said:
prob already posted but

First patch details

so happy

Wow, I think I am about to become god-like. Was overpowered when DEX sucked.

So I just hit those horrible javelin archers in Anor Londo. I'm a pyro, level 50 or so equipped with a halberd + 10. For ranged combat I all the standard pyro spells a shortbow, and heavy crossbow.

What's the easiest way to deal with these guys and do they respawn? Have like 20K worth of souls up there after multiple deaths.

Also, did I miss the ember that makes lightning weapons? Haven't found it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom