• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch. This means I'm probably going to have to farm souls to pump Faith then?
Your level range for multiplayer is 71-109 (90+/-19), you may be able to get summons for the Lordsouls bosses and DLC bosses. You'll only need three summon victories at your current Faith level to qualify for the Sun Bros.

Good luck connecting to randoms on pc though lol thats the main reason i prefer to play my console version of the game despite dat pc prettiness.

mannerbot

Well, hopefully a GAFfer on GFWL will let me co-op a few bosses with them! Otherwise, I'll either try to get summons at the DLC area or maybe just do the Miracles achievement on another character. I don't really want to have to start yet another game since I still have to finish up Knight's Honor and have most of the Miracles picked up already anyhow.

RedSwirl

Claymore
Longsword
Zweihander
Balder Side Sword
Halberd

Get any of those, upgrade it and it will start scaling past the drake sword before you get to +10. None of them have very high start requirements either. BKH is a good choice too if you want to put the stats in for it.

I can't get any of these weapons beyond +5 without materials that occur beyond Sen's Fortress, where the Drake Sword seems to become completely obsolete. And as they currently are at +5, none of them scales past the Drake Sword +1 with my current stats.

krakov

I can't get any of these weapons beyond +5 without materials that occur beyond Sen's Fortress, where the Drake Sword seems to become completely obsolete. And as they currently are at +5, none of them scales past the Drake Sword +1 with my current stats.

You can get an infinite number of large titanite shards before Sen's and come across 1-3 pretty naturally. The Zweihander has a base damage of 195 at +5 and with scaling it will no doubt do better than a Drake Sword +1.

Screwing around at SL5 doing PvP using a compound bow in the burg, actually just beat a guy using full Black Knight's armor, and one handing the Greatsword/halberd of the set, so he was at least 30 levels over me haha. Pretty awesome rush beating him though.

If anyone's under SL15 I can help co op them if they want.

RedSwirl

You can get an infinite number of large titanite shards before Sen's and come across 1-3 pretty naturally. The Zweihander has a base damage of 195 at +5 and with scaling it will no doubt do better than a Drake Sword +1.

From where?

And can you effectively one-hand a Zweihander?

Large Titanite Shards drop from the leeches in Blighttown and slimes in the Depths.

Slimes also drop Green Titanite Shards if you want to make a Fire or Divine Weapon.

Leeches are ten times the Green Shard drop that Slimes are. They drop them more frequently, in groups of 5, and you can kill almost as many as quickly as slimes. No contest. Only disadvantage is you need to have purple moss and the rusted ring.
They also drop Large titanite shards, so that can be a good plus too. I think it's about the same actual drop rate as the green shards, but not in groups of 5, sadly.

After a long hiatus I'm back playing and doing pretty good, but it's still 50% frustration and 50% triumph/enjoyment (it'll probably stay that way). Last night I defeated capra demon and moonlight butterfly and I'm bout to explore the Depths. I just want to ask some questions about equpment.

I'm a SL27 pyromancer still maining the drake sword. I have leveled up a battle axe and claymore but they still feel a little weaker than the drake. The way scaling works, they're going to get better than the drake soon, right? Any good strength weapons in the Depths I should know about?

Re: armor. I've experimented with leather (thief) armor and sorcerer's clothes, but it looks like if I level up my ugly pyromancer garbs they'll be the best. Should I do that?

Leeches are ten times the Green Shard drop that Slimes are. They drop them more frequently, in groups of 5, and you can kill almost as many as quickly as slimes. No contest. Only disadvantage is you need to have purple moss and the rusted ring.
They also drop Large titanite shards, so that can be a good plus too. I think it's about the same actual drop rate as the green shards, but not in groups of 5, sadly.

The upside of the slimes is you don't have to go to Blighttown, and you can farm several of them right next to the bonfire.

I'm a SL27 pyromancer still maining the drake sword. I have leveled up a battle axe and claymore but they still feel a little weaker than the drake. The way scaling works, they're going to get better than the drake soon, right? Any good strength weapons in the Depths I should know about?

When you explore the Depths, you'll find something that will give you the ability to upgrade weapons to +10, which should put them well past the Noob Sword. :D

As for strength weapons, there is a great one near Firelink Shrine in the graveyard, and another great one in the zone past the Depths.

Deimo5

Re: armor. I've experimented with leather (thief) armor and sorcerer's clothes, but it looks like if I level up my ugly pyromancer garbs they'll be the best. Should I do that?

For general purpose armor, it shouldn't make much of a difference. You can pick whatever you think looks the best.

Guys I'm in the mood for a fun magic class build. What are some of the best builds? I wanna be overpowered as hell. I struggled and now it's time for payback.

Ruuppa

Guys I'm in the mood for a fun magic class build. What are some of the best builds? I wanna be overpowered as hell. I struggled and now it's time for payback.

For PVP dickery: Heaviest armor you can use, Stone Knight Greatsword and Dark Beads. One trick pony, but you murder everyone until you run out of Beads.

You don't really need much as a Sorcerer to become overpowered, due to the nature of magic in the game. Once you get Bellowing + Dusk Crown, you're already overpowered in PVE.

Agree with others saying wear whatever you like the look of. Armour is the last thing I upgrade, weapon always come first, I don't upgrade armour till I'm flush with souls/upgrade materials.

I would have a look if you've got any curse resistant armour for the Depths though, even wearing just one piece will help - just in case ;)

Vitten

Be sure to start with the Master key so you can immediately take the backdoor to Blight Town and pick up the crimson armor set and the Tin Banishment Catalyst. It's great starting armour and the catalyst has a mean R2 attack that will one-hit enemies in the Burg.
You can also decent further in Blighttown and farm the slugs for green titanite so you can get a +5 magic weapon with Rickert and keep one-hitting things until Sen's.

Free Griggs asap to get the Bellowing ring and buy his spells.
Get Crown of Dusk asap in Darkroot basin.
Try and get Power Within as well and combine all these to blow the early bosses away with just a few soul arrows.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Those silly ghosts in the New Londo Ruins are starting to become slightly irritating.
Should have gone there before Firelink Shrine's bonfire died out, sigh. :p

Ruuppa

Those silly ghosts in the New Londo Ruins are starting to become slightly irritating.
Should have gone there before Firelink Shrine's bonfire died out, sigh. :p

Unless your aim is to go Darkwraith or get the Very Large Ember really fast, don't bother going too far into New Londo. If you come back later you can get the place fully opened without an extra fight.

I usually just grab the Firekeeper Soul and open the ladder shortcut, then hightail it out until I've gotten the Warp.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Managed to get to Artorias with my SL1 guy. I was able to get him down to half health a couple of times, but I just keep fucking up on the dodges, especially for that kinda drag sweep attack he does. I must have attempted it over 20 times now.

Ruuppa

Managed to get to Artorias with my SL1 guy. I was able to get him down to half health a couple of times, but I just keep fucking up on the dodges, especially for that kinda drag sweep attack he does. I must have attempted it over 20 times now.

He's seriously tough on SL1, I just barely beat him a few days ago on mine. Play it really patiently, and only attack him after his big leap, since there's a chance that he can do a quick counter after his three other big attacks(the double stab, rush & swing and triple jump). You can ping him a couple of times with ranged attacks while he's powering up, I used Fire Orb, but Great Chaos Fireball might be better.

Keep at it! Beating him with an SL1 is a great feeling :D

Ruuppa

How the hell do I beat the Hydra as a mage? Argh.

If you get close enough, you can lock on to the main body. With a good shield, you can block its attack and pelt it with Soul X after each attack. If you're not confident in manually aiming your spells at the individual heads, this strategy will work. You just need to have enough Attunement.

If you get close enough, you can lock on to the main body. With a good shield, you can block its attack and pelt it with Soul X after each attack. If you're not confident in manually aiming your spells at the individual heads, this strategy will work. You just need to have enough Attunement.

I tried that but the heads just 1 hit me, or I can't hit them with my soul arrow. Anyways, I tried to get the crimson armor in blight town and just died 1 too many times.

krakov

From where?

And can you effectively one-hand a Zweihander?

There is one large shard on a corpse in the Depths and two on corpses in Blight Town. Farming the slugs will likely net you one or a few per run. You'll also get two shards very early into Sen's fortress.

As long as you have 24 STR you can use the Zwei with one hand just as any other weapon.

mannerbot

I tried that but the heads just 1 hit me, or I can't hit them with my soul arrow. Anyways, I tried to get the crimson armor in blight town and just died 1 too many times.

Erhm, how are the heads damaging you at all? Just equip any 100% physical block shield, block that, and punish.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
He's seriously tough on SL1, I just barely beat him a few days ago on mine. Play it really patiently, and only attack him after his big leap, since there's a chance that he can do a quick counter after his three other big attacks(the double stab, rush & swing and triple jump). You can ping him a couple of times with ranged attacks while he's powering up, I used Fire Orb, but Great Chaos Fireball might be better.

Keep at it! Beating him with an SL1 is a great feeling :D

LFbd1A6.jpg

Thanks for the tips! I finally beat him by being patient like you said, and waiting for the one or two opportunities where you can freely attack and get back out again. I actually found I could get a safe attack in after his rush/slide forward thing in addition to his big jump. I started off with the strong, 2h attack with my reinforced club (which is nice because you don't need to do the push L-stick forward + strong attack to jump), then switched over to my flame about half way through and used combustion til the end. I think I was doing 208 damage per hit with combustion + dragoncrest ring + crown of dusk.

2AdEPT

I found Dark Souls II for $42.18 Steam Key.

http://www.gameholds.com/dark-souls-2-pc-game.html

I looked into Gameholds.com and apparently they have some positive reviews and background references. Standard price for DS2 PC on Amazon is $59.99.

I took them up on the offer and I'll post if anything negative happens-now until the launch in March.

Looks good, but what's up with the May 31st release date? Says "will deliver before." but how much before?

Great price but I'll probably buy it on GMG if they have a good pre-order deal. OR wait til the price goes down (I still haven't finished Demon's Souls or Dark Souls).

But I am tempted to buy the Webhallen Edition:

Even though it's way too expensive, $245.

Ruuppa

Great price but I'll probably buy it on GMG if they have a good pre-order deal. OR wait til the price goes down (I still haven't finished Demon's Souls or Dark Souls).

But I am tempted to buy the Webhallen Edition:

Even though it's way too expensive, $245.

Way damn expensive. I really want the artbook though..

Vastag

Just started playing it, I don't know whyI haven't done it earlier, the game is great. Also, fuck those dogs with the Capra Demon :-(.

RedSwirl

Okay I'm rocking the Broadsword +9 right now. Last thing I did in the main questline was ring the second bell.

Right now I have about four options for how I want to proceed and I need a hint as to how they rank from easiest to hardest in terms of enemy strength:

*) Work out how to defeat Ceaseless Discharge.
*) Work out how to defeat the Hydra in Darkroot Basin.
*) Give the Black Eye (or whatever it's called) to Frampt to go... wherever it takes me.
*) Proceed into Sen's Fortress.

mannerbot

Okay I'm rocking the Broadsword +9 right now. Last thing I did in the main questline was ring the second bell.

Right now I have about four options for how I want to proceed and I need a hint as to how they rank from easiest to hardest in terms of enemy strength:

*) Work out how to defeat Ceaseless Discharge.
*) Work out how to defeat the Hydra in Darkroot Basin.
*) Give the Black Eye (or whatever it's called) to Frampt to go... wherever it takes me.
*) Proceed into Sen's Fortress.

That's not how you do the third one. As for the rest, you can honestly do them in any order. Hydra is the easiest, Ceaseless you can probably do later to save time.

RedSwirl

That's not how you do the third one. As for the rest, you can honestly do them in any order. Hydra is the easiest, Ceaseless you can probably do later to save time.

Well I'm in the middle of the catacombs now. I have no divine weapons but I've taken out five (I think?) necromancers. Might come back down when I've upped the Zwei a bit more for fighting the big headless dude down there. I imagine Nito's the boss if this area right?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Well I'm in the middle of the catacombs now. I have no divine weapons but I've taken out five (I think?) necromancers. Might come back down when I've upped the Zwei a bit more for fighting the big headless dude down there. I imagine Nito's the boss if this area right?

Correct. I don't know how much you know, but you can't get to the end of that area before you do a certain thing in the story. I'd save the area for later, so you don't have to trek back up, which can be... painful.

Seanspeed

Banned
Nito isn't the boss of the Catacombs. There is a different boss you fight, then you gain access to the next area, which you wont be able to complete fully til you progress through the story more. It could still be worth a trip though. Every place has useful shit to find.

And everybody needs to share in my pain of going all the way down there without having the warp ability yet

eot

Banned
Nito isn't the boss of the Catacombs. There is a different boss you fight, then you gain access to the next area, which you wont be able to complete fully til you progress through the story more. It could still be worth a trip though. Every place has useful shit to find.

And everybody needs to share in my pain of going all the way down there without having the warp ability yet

You're evil like Patches

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished my Dragon Greatsword run. Ended up sticking with it throughout. A good R2 hit from that thing does over 900 damage to most enemies, including bosses. I'm normally a light roll kinda guy but that's hard to do with a weapon that weighs 24 units, so I went with the Golem armor (which looks cool as heck), stuck a grass crest shield on my back (obvs), and the usual rings (Havel & FAP). Beasted all over everything despite this playstyle being somewhat different from my norm, had no trouble midrolling when I needed to, like for Artorias, and taking a hit was no problem either. Of course I did finish around SL 90 so yeah, pretty OP for NG. 40 vit, 40 end, 36 str and a few points in dex because of reasons (idk).

Much as I like to light roll and use actual skill, I have to admit the game is just a lot easier in heavy armor with a weapon that deals high poise damage. You can trade hits no problem and come out on top, even against many bosses. Not that much real skill required if you min-max right and know the mechanics. More metagame than gameplay skill. It is satisfying though. But I know it's not nearly as viable on NG+ later on in the game, so maybe I'll have to revise that if I continue.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Looks good, but what's up with the May 31st release date? Says "will deliver before." but how much before?

I do not know. I sent them an e-mail about pre-loading, since it is a Steam key you're buying. I haven't received word. I bought one though. My guess is that its a TBA date back when a March release date was going around.

RedSwirl

So I'm deep in the Demon Ruins now. Beat Ceaseless Discharge and have started to investigate the rest of this place. WHAT THE FUCK.

Squads of Capra Demons and Taurus Demons?!

What the fuck is down here?!

2AdEPT

So I'm deep in the Demon Ruins now. Beat Ceaseless Discharge and have started to investigate the rest of this place. WHAT THE FUCK.

Squads of Capra Demons and Taurus Demons?!

What the fuck is down here?!

there are ways around fighting all of them... the only one you have to eithr face or run around is the first capra....the rest are optional. There are some Tauruses later on, at least one of which you have to face or run by. Tauruses are actually tougher than capras, capras are not hard in open space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom