• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

I have a +5 broadsword, but now that I'm here at the smith, even bumping it to +6 it's nowhere near as strong as the drake sword. Am I missing something about it being well past it's usefulness?

Stat scaling is what you are missing, the base number you are seeing may be lower than the Drake Sword, but it gets a bonus from your weapon stats (STR and DEX). So you have the base damage plus the scaling bonus based on your stats and how well upgraded the weapon is +5,+10, with +15 being the best for STR/DEX scaling.

The Drake Sword has no stat scaling whatsoever, so any points invested in STR or DEX past the minimum requirements to wield are literally wasted on a weapon with no stat scaling.

Neverfade

Ah, ok. My strength is pretty beefy but I have been admittedly slacking on the dex. I'll pull the trigger on the upgrade and check it out.

Thanks all.

RedSwirl

Well shit.

I actually managed to kill the right archer on my first attempt but I just HAD to see what was going on with that left archer, and lo-and-behold he was guarding an item. Fell off the flying buttress just as he died. 10 attempts later, haven't been able to replicate the timing that let me kill the right archer.

Jhoan

A friend of mine is playing this game for the first time and the keyword here is 'anxiety'. He's scared of having to replay parts, scared of missing anything... He quit Demon's Souls because the world tendency reset on him and he thought it was a bug and lost progress. I told him it's ok to ignore that mechanic completely, but he wasn't coming back.

Well, I've got him to play DkS either way. Last I heard he was at O&S, and SL60 when he entered Sen's (!). He also told me he bought the crest of Artorias just so he could grind at Darkroot and make the guys drop off the ledge. He grinded there just to have more vitality. Everyone's free to play the way they want, but I definitely laughed at him for a) grinding b) grinding with a tactic no one should endure on their first run c) or even know about, hereby admitting he read way too much online. He also offed Lautrec early just to get the fap ring asap.

It's funny how the way people play this game, is telling of their personality. All of this because of his fear of dying and replaying bits in the game.
Lmao! Admittedly, I used this same exact exploit to become ridiculously OP and I'm still on my first run. Spent way too many hours doing that. Only mistake I made was pumping 20 points into Resistance before I read about how useless the stat was and stopped doing so. Manus was a tough SOB at SL104; I had to summon help to take him out.

All I need is Kalameet and Gwyn and it's a wrap but not before grinding for a bunch of chunks from Black Knights and getting green shards. Haven't touched the game since November. Unfortunately, my XBL gold expired so I won't be touching the game until a good deal comes along. Watching Jeff and Patrick play it will have to do until then.

Grudy

Apologies if this is not the place for this question but I keep trying to settle on which class to use for DkS 2 and I just can't decide. I usually always pick sorcerers/spell casters in games and I finished Demon Souls once on NG+ using only magic and it was kind of underwhelming (fell in love with the game though). There was a very limited selection of equipment (that weird hat and the same wand for 85% of the game and that magic enhancing sword in the off hand) and to me it kind of felt that the entire game was built around using swords and katanas and whatnot, not to mention it made the game significantly easier (tower knight was a joke).

I couldn't play dark souls much (maybe around 2 hours) because I was busy with college and got hooked on Guild Wars 2. Did they improve sorcerer in Dark Souls? Is there a way to build sort of a battle mage?

Sullichin

Apologies if this is not the place for this question but I keep trying to settle on which class to use for DkS 2 and I just can't decide. I usually always pick sorcerers/spell casters in games and I finished Demon Souls once on NG+ using only magic and it was kind of underwhelming (fell in love with the game though). There was a very limited selection of equipment (that weird hat and the same wand for 85% of the game and that magic enhancing sword in the off hand) and to me it kind of felt that the entire game was built around using swords and katanas and whatnot, not to mention it made the game significantly easier (tower knight was a joke).

I couldn't play dark souls much (maybe around 2 hours) because I was busy with college and got hooked on Guild Wars 2. Did they improve sorcerer in Dark Souls? Is there a way to build sort of a battle mage?

Dark Souls 2 isn't out yet, so we don't know. But I'm sure making a spell-sword type character is possible in DS2, as it's possible in Demons and Dark. There's a sorcerer class in the beta that had a bunch of new spells, but we don't know anything about magic weapon upgrade paths, etc yet.

Tex117

Banned
Dark Souls-Gaf, I am in dire need of your assistance.

I am an Intelligence Build character in Dark Souls. INT 50.

I wear eliet knight breastplate
Gold hemmed legs
Wanderer's machete
Gold hemmed hood.

+5 Enchancted Uchigatana

I am making my run through new game plus and getting OWNED by 4 kings, and pretty much everything after New Londo.

Note, that I really haven't played in a few years, so all my stuff was pre-patch.

Any tips or advice on how I can fix my build to where I can (a) take out 4 kings on new game plus or (b) make any progress to actually access the DLC on New Game Plus!

Praise the Sun,

RedSwirl

Checked out Ornstein and Smogh just to feel them out.

I'm thinking of just going ahead and grinding to max out my armor after meeting the giant blacksmith. It's the Elite Knight set basically. Already maxed out the Black Knight Halberd. The rate at which I get souls in Anor Londo feels fast as hell.

Maybe I do this because Dark Souls' real time combat makes grinding painless compared to most turn-based JRPGs.

Blinck

Guys... I feel so damn dirty...

I'm doing a SL1 run, and I've reached Fatty&Slim....I have a lightning battle axe...and while taking out S is easy, O is just too resistant to lightning damage.
So I went back to the catacombs to get a fire weapon...

But...on the way back it occurred to me...I have Havels gear.. and I'm level 1...and I remember reading here on GAF someone spreading terror and fear on the Undead Burg with Havels set.

I had 4 cracking red eye orbs...and I didn't resist.

Guys...I know it's dirty...but it was so damn fun. I had never invaded low level players in Dark Souls since I don't really do PVP.
Players were literally running and trying to hide...and I just walked towards them slowly, I didn't even run, because Havel doesn't fucking run. He walks towards you and you simply piss yourself, that's how Havel rolls.

When I first met Havel in Dark Souls..I ran for my life...I shat my pants and ran for my life...but now...now it was the other way around.

No more spreading the terror since I don't have any more orbs, but it was a fun little break from the hard fight that awaits me in Anor Londo! Back to the SL1 run !

dksoulsinvasion2.jpg

mannerbot

I guess pyro + melee weapons in Dark Souls would be considered a battle mage, pyro doesn't scale off stats so it's perfect for that.

Any tips or advice on how I can fix my build to where I can (a) take out 4 kings on new game plus or (b) make any progress to actually access the DLC on New Game Plus!

Do you know how to get to the DLC? You didn't mention what's keeping you from doing it. As for beating 4K, have you tried Power Within + Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring + Crown of Dusk? Haven't played a sorc yet but that's what I'd try. Crown of Dusk is something you'd pick up on the way to unlocking the DLC btw.

Checked out Ornstein and Smogh just to feel them out.

I'm thinking of just going ahead and grinding to max out my armor after meeting the giant blacksmith. It's the Elite Knight set basically. Already maxed out the Black Knight Halberd. The rate at which I get souls in Anor Londo feels fast as hell.

Maybe I do this because Dark Souls' real time combat makes grinding painless compared to most turn-based JRPGs.
The easiest way to grind souls is co-op. You can wrack up more souls than you'd know what to do with in an hour or two in high traffic areas like Anor Londo.

I guess pyro + melee weapons in Dark Souls would be considered a battle mage, pyro doesn't scale off stats so it's perfect for that.

Do you know how to get to the DLC? You didn't mention what's keeping you from doing it. As for beating 4K, have you tried Power Within + Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring + Crown of Dusk? Haven't played a sorc yet but that's what I'd try. Crown of Dusk is something you'd pick up on the way to unlocking the DLC btw.
I would advise caution with the Dusk crown on 4 Kings because it increases damage taken by magic, unless you're certain you can dodge their magic attacks. At least put it on for casting PW though.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I think I've discovered my new Dark Souls hobby for my SL1 guy. In between invasion gifting sprees, I equip the knight's set (and bellowing dragoncrest ring), a heater shield and wooden axe (with flame as other weapon), and hang out in undead burg waiting for an invader. When one shows up, I act a little bit panicky and clumsy and try to lure them into attacking me or messing with me. When it seems like they're intent on killing me, I switch to my flame and surprise them with a couple of quick great combustion hits and subsequently prostrate over their corpse.

:D

As for beating 4K, have you tried Power Within + Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring + Crown of Dusk? Haven't played a sorc yet but that's what I'd try. Crown of Dusk is something you'd pick up on the way to unlocking the DLC btw.

Crown of Dusk would also make the fight a bit harder due to it's increase in magic damage received, wouldn't it?

mannerbot

OK, new plan! Try first without Crown of Dusk if you don't know the attack patterns + how to dodge the magic attacks, then if you still don't have enough DPS throw it on and learn them.

Zertez

I'm doing a SL1 run, and I've reached Fatty&Slim....I have a lightning battle axe...and while taking out S is easy, O is just too resistant to lightning damage.

But...on the way back it occurred to me...I have Havels gear.. and I'm level 1...and I remember reading here on GAF someone spreading terror and fear on the Undead Burg with Havels set.

Guys...I know it's dirty...but it was so damn fun. I had never invaded low level players in Dark Souls since I don't really do PVP.
Players were literally running and trying to hide...and I just walked towards them slowly, I didn't even run, because Havel doesn't fucking run. He walks towards you and you simply piss yourself, that's how Havel rolls.

When I first met Havel in Dark Souls..I ran for my life...I shat my pants and ran for my life...but now...now it was the other way around.

No more spreading the terror since I don't have any more orbs, but it was a fun little break from the hard fight that awaits me in Anor Londo! Back to the SL1 run !
I cant lie and say I havent done it a few times myself, but I feel horrible after the first few beatdowns and when someone runs I will leave them alone. While Im ready for Dark Souls 2 to release, I will probably still come back to Dark Souls time to time just like with Demons Souls. It is amazing how much fun I have gotten out of Dark Souls, I have finished the game countless times with many restrictions on various runs and I still look forward to going through the game again.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Started my first SL1 character as well. First time i skipped the traditional burg route and went via darkroot to the gargoyles. It's amazing what kind of good gear you can pick up a few minutes into the game. About an hour in and I'm wearing the channeler set, went for the reinforced club. I love that weapon. Next up: getting to the depths for large ember + Laurentius.

This is fun for me, as it's not only my first SL1 run, also my first real pyro focused run. And if I run into trouble (which I expect at 4K) I may drop SL1 and go for low level instead. My goal here is darkwraith. Once I reach that, I may take a trip to Anor Londo.

Arjen

Started my first SL1 character as well. First time i skipped the traditional burg route and went via darkroot to the gargoyles. It's amazing what kind of good gear you can pick up a few minutes into the game. About an hour in and I'm wearing the channeler set, went for the reinforced club. I love that weapon. Next up: getting to the depths for large ember + Laurentius.

This is fun for me, as it's not only my first SL1 run, also my first real pyro focused run. And if I run into trouble (which I expect at 4K) I may drop SL1 and go for low level instead. My goal here is darkwraith. Once I reach that, I may take a trip to Anor Londo.

Isn't the channeler set in the Dukes?

Ruuppa

Isn't the channeler set in the Dukes?

It is. Creamium, what are you doing?!?

SL1 Darkwraithing is really rewarding, since you can invade anywhere and anyone. If you don't mind losing lots of times (at least in areas Anor Londo and beyond), it's great fun. Combustion with Bellowing ring and Ascended Flame +5 will drop a King in 7 hits, with extra damage on the 8th hit, meaning that barring misses you can kill them really easily.

dksoulsinvasion2.jpg

Hey, nothing wrong with having a little fun. It's part of the game, just as it was intended.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
OMG im so pissed! I accidentally killed that princess with the big boobs. Is there a way to go back to a last save file???

Now that chick that was at the bonfire wants to kill me. What happens now?

OMG im so pissed! I accidentally killed that princess with the big boobs. Is there a way to go back to a last save file???

There's no reverting saves in Dark Souls, though I think you can request absolution at the parish.

That's a good thing, now kill the other one at the bonfire too (I usually do it the moment I set foot in Anor Londo for her Firekeeper's Soul).

I've realised why ultra greatswords moveset are so disappointing in this game. I've tried like 3 of them and none of them have a 360 slash as an attack. I used to use DBS in Demons Souls and that had a godly moveset. So much variety, such reach, and several spin attacks. Running spin attack was lethal. It didn't matter if you were outnumbered. That thing would swing around you letting you run into crowds of enemies with little consequence.

Does anyone know of a ultra greatsword with spinning attacks? Or even a greatsword (needs to big, claymore is too small).

Sullichin

I've realised why ultra greatswords moveset are so disappointing in this game. I've tried like 3 of them and none of them have a 360 slash as an attack. I used to use DBS in Demons Souls and that had a godly moveset. So much variety, such reach, and several spin attacks. Running spin attack was lethal. It didn't matter if you were outnumbered. That thing would swing around you letting you run into crowds of enemies with little consequence.

Does anyone know of a ultra greatsword with spinning attacks? Or even a greatsword (needs to big, claymore is too small).

Stone Greatsword

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom