• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inskipp

How long does it usually take for an invader to show up in Oolacile township? I've been doing some PVP next to the Bonfire, and often times have had to wait +5 minutes staring at the fog wall... Sometimes the wall disappears and reappears for no reason, making me wait another 5 minutes.

Is matching up supposed to be this slow? I've tried using dried finger to speed it up, which seems to help, but only slightly.

Ruuppa

So I'm deep in the Demon Ruins now. Beat Ceaseless Discharge and have started to investigate the rest of this place. WHAT THE FUCK.

Squads of Capra Demons and Taurus Demons?!

What the fuck is down here?!

Two words: Poison. Toxic.

Those things will make that section of Demon Ruins really easy, especially if you've gone there really early.

How long does it usually take for an invader to show up in Oolacile township? I've been doing some PVP next to the Bonfire, and often times have had to wait +5 minutes staring at the fog wall... Sometimes the wall disappears and reappears for no reason, making me wait another 5 minutes.

Is matching up supposed to be this slow? I've tried using dried finger to speed it up, which seems to help, but only slightly.

It takes luck to get a match anywhere. You might need to open the ports that GFWL uses, if you're having trouble everywhere with online play. If it's just Oolacile, you're simply unlucky. Or your level might be too low.

Which platform?

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Unless your aim is to go Darkwraith or get the Very Large Ember really fast, don't bother going too far into New Londo. If you come back later you can get the place fully opened without an extra fight.

I usually just grab the Firekeeper Soul and open the ladder shortcut, then hightail it out until I've gotten the Warp.
In that case I won't worry too much about those poltergeists, my Transient Curse's are all out anyway. I'm outta there.

Just entered The Big Hollow.
Smashed those walls by accident. Some crazy cool hidden stuff in this game.
Still no idea where that second bell is. Getting lost is fun! :p

Be careful about going to far down the Great Hollow just yet, it's a one way trip and a long walk back up!

Transient Curses are pretty easy to get, the ghosts drop them with a fairly decent drop rate and there's a few more to find as loot. New Londo is worth exploring for
the ember
alone, but it certainly isn't desperately needed just yet.

Ruuppa

If you're totally out of Transient Curses, you can buy some from the Moss -shop. Can't remember if there's only a limited amount there.

- J - D -

I finished my first game of Dark Souls last night. I felt like I was over-leveled even at level 90 by the time I stepped up to Lord Gwyn (or maybe he's just a pushover? I dunno). I felt like I was doing too much damage to the bosses near the final third of the game.

Anyway, my favorite fight of the game was definitely Astoria (edit: I mean Knight Artorias), his somersaults were just too cool. I had a hell of a time trying to cut off Kalameet's tail on my own. I think I died the most during that fight, counting the 3 times I died from his fly-by flames before the I actually got around to the real fight. So about 8 times in total. Dude was a real bastard.

I tried as hard as I could to get all the achievements for weapon forging, but missed out on the Chaos one because I needed a red titanite chunk, and the only one left that I could get, a friend told me, was from a trade with Snuggly the crow. This requires an ascended pyro flame, but the only NPC that can ascend it is Quelana in Blighttown, but she disappears if I didn't talk to her fully before killing the Bed of Chaos, so I ended up being effectively locked out of ascending my pyromancy. :/ Wish the game were more clear about when an NPC disappears forever from the game.

Oh well, I'll correct all my mistakes in NG+.

Hopefully I can get every achievement by the time DSII is out. How many NG+ does it take to get all of them? Just one?

- J - D -

Astoria?

Anyway, well done! Regarding your question, you need at least 2.5 runs to get the platinum trophy.

Woops. I still get Artorias and Astora mixed up. This time I combined the two. What fun!

I think I have enough time to do 2.5 runs and then fire up Demon's Souls before Dark Souls 2 in March.

Ruuppa

Tips for Manus, thanks in advance.

I have him and Kalameet to kill before I just shit on Gywn

Get the Silver Pendant, dodge a lot, use the doggy for funsies. He doesn't have any special strats, really. Just be aware that he starts using magic at around half health, one of which has almost 0 casting time. He can reach you from almost any distance, so don't count on that for flasking.

Overall not a really hard fight, but his spells can catch you in a bad spot.

Lothar

Banned
So far? I had a way easier time in Sen's than in Depths, for example. Part of that is definitely because I was going through Depths way too carefully, but still. Undead Burg/Parish doesn't count, since I used the Drake Sword there, which made it too easy. Sen's didn't give me any problems. I didn't get hit by any of the traps, not once, and the Serpent Men are perfectly fine one-on-one. The Iron Golem is a joke, almost easier than the Gaping Dragon, and I hadn't even upgraded anything when I fought him.

Ha, I just spent the last several hours trying to beat the Iron Golem. I had him almost beat the last time and then I backed up off the cliff because it's impossible for me to tell sometimes where I am when I'm locked on to him. Fuck this game.

I remembered that I found some titanite shards in the castle so thinking upgrading may help I backtracked all the way to the blacksmith and upgraded a few times. Now an attack against the iron Golem takes away 47 instead of 40. Yay. I'll only have to hit him 147 times to beat him now rather than 150.

RedSwirl

How/when do people use up humanity in this game? I just stay in undead form until I need to kindle a new bonfire. Through most of this game I've had like 15 humanity capsules (whatever they're called) saved up. Same thing happened in Demon's Souls -- I just stashed away Ephemeral Eye stones.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
How/when do people use up humanity in this game? I just stay in undead form until I need to kindle a new bonfire. Through most of this game I've had like 15 humanity capsules (whatever they're called) saved up. Same thing happened in Demon's Souls -- I just stashed away Ephemeral Eye stones.

When you have between 1 and 10 soft/active humanity you get an item discovery bonus, so it's worth it for that (I think anything beyond that, up to 99, yields no extra benefit). It's also a health regen item that you can rely on if you run out of flasks, or if you need to replenish a lot (I think all?) of your health in one go. It can also be used to regen health when your flasks are restricted from use during invasions or summons. Finally, you level up most covenants by offering humanity.

Ruuppa

I find Manus to be the hardest boss in the game, battling him in NG+ is torture.

I find him annoying, since getting to him is a pain. He only has one OHKO -move, (which is really goddamn hard to avoid though) and all of his other moves are relatively easy to dodge. He also gives plenty of chances to heal after certain moves.

IMO Biggs & Smalls are hardest, but only if done solo, tho' my opinion is skewed due to how many times I had to try them on my SL1. Kalameet solo is pretty hard as well, if your objective is to cut the tail.

When you have between 1 and 10 soft/active humanity you get an item discovery bonus, so it's worth it for that (I think anything beyond that, up to 99, yields no extra benefit). It's also a health regen item that you can rely on if you run out of flasks, or if you need to replenish a lot (I think all?) of your health in one go. It can also be used to regen health when your flasks are restricted from use during invasions or summons. Finally, you level up most covenants by offering humanity.

You also get a defense and curse resist boost according to your active Humanity. About 100 bonus to each defense category(Phys, Mag, Fire, Lightning) at 99 Humanity, and 150 curse resist (which caps out much earlier). This is a pretty huge buff, but 2 deaths in a row can wipe it all out.

Arjen

I'm always human. Getting invaded while playing is part of the fun for me.

Overdoziz

Banned
I'm on my first playthrough and I'm never human. Every now and then I become human to kindle a bonfire, but that's about it. Aint got no time to get one-hit by some dude with a huge sword and crazy magic spells who invades my world.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
You also get a defense and curse resist boost according to your active Humanity. About 100 bonus to each defense category(Phys, Mag, Fire, Lightning) at 99 Humanity, and 150 curse resist (which caps out much earlier). This is a pretty huge buff, but 2 deaths in a row can wipe it all out.

Wow, I didn't realise it had any effect on other stats. Good to know!

Blinck

I'm on my first playthrough and I'm never human. Every now and then I become human to kindle a bonfire, but that's about it. Aint got no time to get one-hit by some dude with a huge sword and crazy magic spells who invades my world.

Enjoy your safety until March my friend :p

No "safe mode" in Dark Souls 2....only tears...

Well, unless you play in offline, which takes out much of the fun :p

Dolemitesooner

Neo Member
I beat Ornstein/Smough last night for the first time. I had help and I am not ashamed. I can't imagine that fight without them.

After I summoned a helped I got invaded, and the help showed at just the right time.

I think this is the first invader that stayed and fought and I killed.

I have been using a Zwiehander +5 and I have been wrecking things. Those knight only take 2 shots.

Found the Giant Blacksmith and called it a night. I need to be studying but I can't put this game down.

Blinck

Unless they change it from beta, being Hollow is still "safe mode": http://beta.darksoulsii.com/us/gameguide_networkplay.html

Hmm you're right.

I was really under the impression that you could be invaded while hollow...was it ever like that and then they changed it or something?

thanks for the link !

I beat Ornstein/Smough last night for the first time. I had help and I am not ashamed. I can't imagine that fight without them.

After I summoned a helped I got invaded, and the help showed at just the right time.

I think this is the first invader that stayed and fought and I killed.

I have been using a Zwiehander +5 and I have been wrecking things. Those knight only take 2 shots.

Found the Giant Blacksmith and called it a night. I need to be studying but I can't put this game down.

Nice, man! You should try to do them solo another time though, it's very satisfying :)

Upgrade the Zweihander to +10 ASAP. You can buy large titanite shards from the Giant Blacksmith also, if you don't have enough!

Ruuppa

Ahh you CAN being invaded while Hollow, they have specified this multiple times even in the latest preview from EDGE a couple weeks ago.

Yet the beta info says you can't be invaded. Huh. Sounds like somewhat of a pain to be honest.

Edit: Apparently FROM has said that they're adding something to prevent invasions. Maybe some ring or something.

RedSwirl

Since I haven't posted my progress in a while:

Finally got the stats to one-hand the Black Knight Halberd, grinded another three levels in endurance so I could get back to medium weight class, and then upgraded the BKH to +4.

Cut through Sen's Fortress and now I'm figuring out where to go in Anor Londo. I guess this is where the big leagues start. Probably gonna focus on DEX and Endurance for the rest of the game.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
If you're totally out of Transient Curses, you can buy some from the Moss -shop. Can't remember if there's only a limited amount there.
She owns only seven of them.

In other news; I finally rang the second bell! :D
Man, that feels good.
Spiderlady was suprisingly easy, though.

Sullichin

Yet the beta info says you can't be invaded. Huh. Sounds like somewhat of a pain to be honest.

Edit: Apparently FROM has said that they're adding something to prevent invasions. Maybe some ring or something.

There's a covenant you can join that will auto-summon a helper phantom if you get invaded. Not sure if you will also be able to completely prevent invasions.

coopolon

so i cant log in to gfwl. i have two step verification enabled but it is not accepting my app passwords. is cracking the game my only option (i am not turning on and off two step every time i play)? will dsfic work with a cracked version?

RedSwirl

So I just stepped out of the painted world.
Decided not to fight the boss there. Should I?
About to try the rest of Anor Londo which as far as I can tell is the big church-like thing ahead. Soul level is 71. Anything I should know?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
A friend of mine is playing this game for the first time and the keyword here is 'anxiety'. He's scared of having to replay parts, scared of missing anything... He quit Demon's Souls because the world tendency reset on him and he thought it was a bug and lost progress. I told him it's ok to ignore that mechanic completely, but he wasn't coming back.

Well, I've got him to play DkS either way. Last I heard he was at O&S, and SL60 when he entered Sen's (!). He also told me he bought the crest of Artorias just so he could grind at Darkroot and make the guys drop off the ledge. He grinded there just to have more vitality. Everyone's free to play the way they want, but I definitely laughed at him for a) grinding b) grinding with a tactic no one should endure on their first run c) or even know about, hereby admitting he read way too much online. He also offed Lautrec early just to get the fap ring asap.

It's funny how the way people play this game, is telling of their personality. All of this because of his fear of dying and replaying bits in the game.

RedSwirl

A friend of mine is playing this game for the first time and the keyword here is 'anxiety'. He's scared of having to replay parts, scared of missing anything... He quit Demon's Souls because the world tendency reset on him and he thought it was a bug and lost progress. I told him it's ok to ignore that mechanic completely, but he wasn't coming back.

Well, I've got him to play DkS either way. Last I heard he was at O&S, and SL60 when he entered Sen's (!). He also told me he bought the crest of Artorias just so he could grind at Darkroot and make the guys drop off the ledge. He grinded there just to have more vitality. Everyone's free to play the way they want, but I definitely laughed at him for a) grinding b) grinding with a tactic no one should endure on their first run c) or even know about, hereby admitting he read way too much online. He also offed Lautrec early just to get the fap ring asap.

It's funny how the way people play this game, is telling of their personality. All of this because of his fear of dying and replaying bits in the game.

I probably did grind a bit too much to be honest. The first time I seriously went into Sen's I ended up with enough souls to level up my stats to where I could one-hand the Black Knight Halberd, but once I equipped it I ended up grinding three levels in endurance just so I could get back to medium movement speed. Then I figured out how to end up with enough Twinkling Titanite to upgrade the BKH to +3. In all the areas I've done since then I haven't had much to spend souls on other than leveling, so that's where they've all gone. Plus, if I ever find myself in a situation where I'm like 3,000 souls away from leveling up, I just go ahead and grind those souls real quick or use any solid souls I have on me.

Neverfade

Playing through my first time.

Just destroyed gaping dragon and I have 27000+ souls -- the most I've had so far.
I'd like to spend them before I went into blighttown as I've heard I'm about to get my doo butter pushed in.

However, I don't really know what to spend them on.

I'm level 30, chose knight, I'm still rocking the knight armor I started with. I did upgrade to the drake sword which has served me well but I can tell I'm going to need to replace it soon.

Any cool things I should buy or just level up?

mannerbot

Just destroyed gaping dragon and I have 27000+ souls -- the most I've had so far.
I'd like to spend them before I went into blighttown as I've heard I'm about to get my doo butter pushed in.

I'm level 30, chose knight, I'm still rocking the knight armor I started with. I did upgrade to the drake sword which has served me well but I can tell I'm going to need to replace it soon.

I'd buy the Crest of Artorias and armor/smithing boxes from Andrei if you don't have those yet.

Booshka

Make a trip back to the Undead Parish Blacksmith, you should have the Large Ember and a Large Titanite Shard from the Depths. With that you can ascend a weapon to +6 and up to +10 with more large shards. Buy the Key items from Andre if you haven't already. If you are dabbling in Pyromancy then go to Firelink Shrine and talk to the Pyromancer that you may or may not have freed from the Depths.

Ditch the Drake sword and invest in an actual weapon. It's well past its usefulness, and a waste of souls and Dragon scales to upgrade. If you like the Drake Swords moveset, try a Longsword, Claymore or Bastard Sword and upgrade those with Blacksmiths and Embers.

Neverfade

Ditch the Drake sword and invest in an actual weapon. It's well past its usefulness, and a waste of souls and Dragon scales to upgrade. If you like the Drake Swords moveset, try a Longsword, Claymore or Bastard Sword and upgrade those with Blacksmiths and Embers.

I have a +5 broadsword, but now that I'm here at the smith, even bumping it to +6 it's nowhere near as strong as the drake sword. Am I missing something about it being well past it's usefulness?

mannerbot

I have a +5 broadsword, but now that I'm here at the smith, even bumping it to +6 it's nowhere near as strong as the drake sword. Am I missing something about it being well past it's usefulness?

You don't have any strength or dexterity? I mean, if that's the case then ok you can stick with the Drake Sword for now (alternative is upgrading elemental weapons), but it's going to be doing pretty crappy damage soon. It's still fine for Blighttown though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom