• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls PR wants you to start replaying Dark Souls 2 today! (Feb 25 - Mar 11)

Played a few hours on a new character. Just made it to Brightstone Cove (+did Rotten) with a Gyrm Greataxe, doing ridiculous damage but being slow as all hell. Still having fun.

Toxi

Banned
There are quite a few in the base game and all 3 DLCs that I like a lot more than Fume Knight. It was just an okay fight IMO.
Most painful, maybe. With Sir Alonne being a close second.
Fume Knight's an awesome boss because the way he mixes up his attack speeds and directions means you have to react with proper timing and positioning to each individual attack, especially in the first stage of the fight. You can't just dodge as soon as you see an attack wind-up or stick to one side of his body and avoid almost everything like you can with most other bosses. I don't think there's a single boss in the entire series that really encourages those skills to the same degree.

i just killed him. I must say, it's a great fight as i remembered, but there are some bullshits here and there in terms of hitboxes.
The only bad hitbox I know of is the stab with his righthand sword, which for some reason includes his body. Which isn't that bad.

Played a few hours on a new character. Just made it to Brightstone Cove (+did Rotten) with a Gyrm Greataxe, doing ridiculous damage but being slow as all hell. Still having fun.
Gyrms made some really nice weapons. Gyrm Greathammer is my personal MVP

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The Dark Souls 2 hate is the dumbest thing about the Dark Souls fandom.

Even if you consider it the least of the franchise, it's not a bad game by any reasonable metric. But everything has to be the best ever or complete shit, I know.

Kilvas

Terrible time to be replaying that game when Horizon and Zelda are about to drop.

A lot of good games coming out means I look at my backlog until price drops. Horizon will be dirt cheap around Christmas and probably have a bunch of updates too. Been looking to complete the DLC.

Muahaha! I was up to the Brightstone Cove boss but didn't feel like taking it on with just a +2 Gyrm Axe. Went back to No Man's Wharf where I knew I could find the last large shard I needed. Boom, +10 axe. And took down Flexile in five hits :D

.Anema

A lot of coop and invasions before and after the Smelter Demon haha .I helped like 10 players against that boss, I want my Sunlight Medals.

Oh man I love me some ds2! But I have to finish off blood and wine before the new zelda drops so I just won't have the the time :(. Hope the community turns out for this one as well as last time! Though I feel like it might be split between scholars and no scholars.

rhandino

Banned
I hear the DLCs are the great though, is that right?
It is outstanding.

Crown of the Sunken King is the most Dark Souls has been close to The Legend of Zelda in terms of level design with all those switches and plataforms that hange the layout of the area.

Crown of the Iron Kong is the ultimate endurance test with powerfull enemies and 2 of the best bosses in the franchise (seriously, people fawning over Fume Knight and Sir Alonne have plenty of good reason)

Crown of the Ivory King is not as good as the first 2 and the coop area is the worst level ever designed for a Souls game BUT is extremely moody, the gimmick of the entire area is fun and has some really interesting lore related to the Abyss and Chaos that was expanded to some extent in Dark Souls III.

Basically is the best DLC released for a Souls game in terms of content and quality.

Doop

I've been playing so much Dark Souls 3 that Dark Souls 2 feels weird now. Playing DS2 just makes me wish DS3 had the channelers trident even more.

Fat4all

Banned
0ewexGV.jpg

he'll never stop not giving up

Why play this, the weakest souls game? Because it has the best coop/online of the series and the levels are all cealrly designed for multiple players. Also, if you haven't played scholar, most players and critics find it a vast improvement over the original, despite a vocal minority.

In short, it's one of the best coop experiences last gen, hands down and since I'm currently playing through with my brother anyway, I'm totally down for this dvent.

I hear the DLCs are the great though, is that right?

The first one is hot garbage, similar to the rest of ds2 and feels exactly the same.
The second dlc is really quite cool and if anything makes the third dlc even more disappointing when it is back to mediocrity.

Now that is on the "souls scale" so it is still pretty good, but set your expectations to very low.

Well I'm really enjoying the game despite people saying its shit. Got my ass kicked over and over by the executioners chariot today but finally beat it!

1upsuper

This doesn't make any sense.
Huh? The Souls community has orchestrated events for years now where the idea is to direct the community back to an older game to breath some life into it once more. Each game has a totally different feel so it's not like there's no reason to go back to old titles.

Nameless

Rebought it during the sale last week and I'm really really enjoying myself after being pretty down on the game a couple years ago. At the time my experience with Souls games boiled down to about a dozen hours of DS1 last gen and 200ish hours of Bloodborne. Having revisited and played through DS1 on top of putting a ton of time into DS3, the wonky hit detection and random unresponsiveness are bugging me way less now that both the Souls formula and my play style have become second nature. Definitely glad I gave DS2 a second shot.

Also looking forward to seeing what Boost mode does for the not-so-stable 60fps in a couple of weeks.

Guess that my memory is hazy from vanilla DS II, but how in the heck was anyone supposed to know about luring Manikins into the statue room to activate the elevator at Drangleic Castle? I feel dumb even though the room next to the King's Gate bonfire introduced this idea. DS2 is still a fun game despite its overreliance on DS' weakest link in its 'platforming' any time you have to jump. Liking the SotFS changes.

MUnited83

For you.
Guess that my memory is hazy from vanilla DS II, but how in the heck was anyone supposed to know about luring Manikins into the statue room to activate the elevator at Drangleic Castle? I feel dumb even though the room next to the King's Gate bonfire introduced this idea. DS2 is still a fun game despite its overreliance on DS' weakest link in its 'platforming' any time you have to jump. Liking the SotFS changes.

Eh, doesn't seem that hard? You're introduced to that mechanic to even get into the castle. You then have the several others like you said next to the King's Gate bonfire. At that point wouldn't one have enough experience to figure that you are required to kill a enemy next to the elevator one to activate something?

Pejo

Gold Member
Man I'm glad I saw this thread. I beat the vanilla game twice, but never played the DLC. Later on I bought SotFS and never played it.

Sounds like a good time to roll a new character.

Maybe I'll finally do a Hex build. Never tried it. Let's go Pursuers!

Eh, doesn't seem that hard? You're introduced to that mechanic to even get into the castle. You then have the several others like you said next to the King's Gate bonfire. At that point wouldn't one have enough experience to figure that you are required to kill a enemy next to the elevator one to activate something?

I never even noticed anything like that outside of the room next to the KG bonfire before and guess I forgot from my one time through DS II years ago, but I'm just venting after spending an hour looping around the castle (and quickly working up cash on the way) thinking it was a bug to do with the lever in the elevator shaft.

Top Bottom