• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark times are coming

For us EUs at least
Violent video games could be outlawed across the European Union, following calls for a clampdown among E.U. justice ministers this week.
Germany, which took over the six month rotating presidency of the Union at the beginning of this month, is leading the initiative but the European Commission has also been pushing for more control of video game violence.

“A certain degree of linkage between the growing violence among the younger generation and the growing diffusion of violent games exists,” said Franco Frattini, the European Justice commissioner, at a meeting of the justice ministers in Dresden, Germany, on Tuesday.

The Commission also wants to harmonize national rules in the 27 countries in the Union. “Protection of children cannot have borders,” Frattini said. The Commission wants to see a combination of outright bans on the most violent games, together with minimum age rules on other titles.

The German government said it will conduct a study of all the different national rules concerning video games, with a view to setting Union-wide norms. Its initiative makes the prospect of a ban much more likely.

Video game violence became a hot political issue in Germany at the end of last year when 18-year-old Sebastian Bosse shot up a high school in Emsdetten, Germany, injuring 37 before fatally turning the gun on himself.

Police said Bosse spent most of his waking hours playing "Counter-Strike."

The German government has proposed a national law banning games that depict violence toward human characters.

In addition to banning “Counter Strike,” the German bill under debate could outlaw popular movie franchise titles such as the "Star-Trek" series, "The Lord of the Rings," "The Battle for Middle-earth II" and "Scarface: The World Is Yours."

Although the Interactive Software Federation of Europe has opposed bans of any kind in the past, the group said recently that it supports Frattini’s efforts to protect children, arguing that an age-rating system similar to that used by the movie industry is the best way forward. The trade association wasn’t immediately available to comment.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/01/17/HNeurulesonvideogames_1.html

Mau ®

Sucks for Europeans...

Just because some pyscho plays games doesnt mean everyone who plays them will become like that. This guy was 18, I mean its much better to blame the parents who couldve realized that their son was not ok...

Shito

Isn't this article a little bit... alarmist?
I thought...
The German government has proposed a national law banning games that depict violence toward human characters.
... this proposal was getting laughed at in Germany last time I've heard of it?

glaurung

Outlaw World of Warcraft, I want to see some heads rolling and people dying in the streets.

Anyway, if this kind of bullshit comes to pass, expect an insane increase in pirating and importing of all items from outside the EU.

What the hell has Star Trek got to do with violent games? Or Lord of the Rings?

Totalriot

Shito said:
Isn't this article a little bit... alarmist?
I thought...

... this proposal was getting laughed at in Germany last time I've heard of it?

It is. But politicans in Germany don't care about what the people think :-/

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think this is just whitewash to hide the fact that Europe doesn't get any games as it is. Now they have an excuse.

Razoric

Banned
inthezone said:
Sucks for Europeans...

Just because some pyscho plays games doesnt mean everyone who plays them will become like that. This guy was 18, I mean its much better to blame the parents who couldve realized that their son was not ok...

Sucks for everyone.

Japan doesnt care about blood and gore and Europe is about to outlaw it. I can see game companies less inclined to use that shit in the future. :(

Razoric said:
blood and gore and Europe is about to outlaw it.
Whoa nothing has been decided yet or even discussed to greater extent it's just German politics new campaign target, it could die out after a while. I guess "Dark times are coming" was a bit alarmist though my bad.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
As far as I can remember, Europe includes the UK.

So no, this is not going to happen.

farnham

Banned
while i dont care particularly about violence and gore in games .. meaning that i wont evaluate games with it better or worse.. and i really dont think thats the whole point of gaming in general..

i really am opposing to a abstract regulation against gory games.. it is opposing the freedom of expression in a very heavy way.next time this will be applied to movies, books and art.

Why do people think that forbidding the expression of certain lets say "immoral" behavior is helping to prevent it..? isnt it the whole point of gaming actually that people have some aggression and can forget about it and get rid of it by beating up a guy virtually.. isnt it the point of movies that show violence to send a message to the people.. (whatever that message might be)..

If people call europe a democratic and liberal place they should stop this kind of legislation.. because its laughable and is only leading to a world were the expression of people is limited to a government&jurisdiction confirm view.. (In other words, dictature)

Jacobi

Banned
I declare war on all adults and I won't stop my terroristic acts until that law is abolished
Battle Royale II reference you get it lol ! just sitting around inbetween my emo candles

I will migrate if this happens! (UK-GAFer)

On a serious note, its quite possible that a version of this law will be passed..Possibly just a tightening down on laws of selling violent games. Perhaps they will become behind-the-counter goods with full ID checks etc. etc. Still doesn't stop an adult buying something for a kid though!!

Haunted

article said:
Untrue, the government has not proposed such a national law.

In addition to banning “Counter Strike,” the German bill under debate could outlaw popular movie franchise titles such as the "Star-Trek" series, "The Lord of the Rings," "The Battle for Middle-earth II" and "Scarface: The World Is Yours."
ridiculous and untrue as well.

Although the Interactive Software Federation of Europe has opposed bans of any kind in the past, the group said recently that it supports Frattini’s efforts to protect children...
which is important and should be supported by every adult gamer.

..arguing that an age-rating system similar to that used by the movie industry is the best way forward. The trade association wasn’t immediately available to comment.
I definitely agree and no harm's done to adult gamers by introducing such a system.

Xrenity said:
So, why not just check the age recommendation? It's not there for nothing.

Because stupid parents dont care about what their children are playing.
Videogames = children´s toy, that´s why they dont care.
It´s the as with anime, anime = children´s cartoon, that is until they see their child watching some hentai-stuff, lol.

Bowen_B

Banned
The UK already has this system.
Films and games are rated by the same body and you can't buy anything without ID unless you are pretty slick.

Haunted

Ranger X said:
Your source Haunted?
I'm German and I'm following the news on this (obviously). This is still in the 'discussion and planning stage', the German government has not issued the proposition of such a national law, only certain politicians have raised concerns and initiated a discussion on this topic.

And well, I can't point you to a news source outright saying 'German government does not issue law' since it didn't happen so nobody reported. :p

All the news stories I've seen (in German) are talking of a discussion and planning stage.

This article is talking about ID control (article states 'It's nothing new to German gamers above 16/18')

This article states: Europarechtlich ist es nicht vorgesehen, auf EU-Ebene eine Regelung über ein derartiges Verbot von Gewaltcomputerspielen zu erlassen - rough translation: Concerning european law, it is not planned to enact a law on the ban of violent computer games on a EU level'

aku:jiki said:
Introducing? What? Games have had age markings for like a decade now?
But not a european-wide unified system ruled by the government. USK (the current ratings system) is Unterhaltungssoftware Selbstkontrolle, roughly translated 'voluntary self-control of entertainment software ' - a widely accepted standard, but not directly controlled by the gov.

Edit:
Stumpokapow said:
here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and many others.

This article misrepresents what's happening.

The call is to ban the sales of these games to children. I still fundamentally disagree with this as well, but it's a far cry (no pun intended) from a general ban.
Yeah, what he said. :p

Haunted_One said:
Untrue, the government has not proposed such a national law.
ridiculous and untrue as well.
which is important and should be supported by every adult gamer.
I definitely agree and no harm's done to adult gamers by introducing such a system.
Stop making sense, I want to panic...ahhhh.ahhhh.ahhhh!
Ranger X said:
Your source Haunted?
His source would be actually living in Germany I guess :).

R0nn

Bowen_B said:
The UK already has this system.
Films and games are rated by the same body and you can't buy anything without ID unless you are pretty slick.

They have such a system here in The Netherlands too. Games like Gears of War and RE4 are 18+ games here. Still, it doesn't seem to me like many stores abide by those regulations. They just sell whatever to anyone that comes into the store and has money to spend. That's one of the problems.

only certain politicians have raised concerns and initiated a discussion on this topic.

Yeah including one of our government's ministers.

R0nn said:
They have such a system here in The Netherlands too. Games like Gears of War and RE4 are 18+ games here. Still, it doesn't seem to me like many stores abide by those regulations. They just sell whatever to anyone that comes into the store and has money to spend. That's one of the problems.
the uk system is legally enforced... it is part of law. i have no idea if they netherlands one is or isn't, but if it isn't, then that would be a big difference.

Haunted

plagiarize said:
the uk system is legally enforced... it is part of law. i have no idea if they netherlands one is or isn't, but if it isn't, then that would be a big difference.
And that's what this new EU-wide discussion is about. They're discussing if the regulations (which already exist in one form or the other in most countries anyway) should be regulated by one EU-wide system, or if each of the states should continue to handle the system by themselves.

And again, this all concerns the selling of violent games to children. Protecting children = good, who cares if this makes it a bit harder for adult gamers to purchase them (no shelf space, forced ID control etc.).

Phife Dawg said:
His source would be actually living in Germany I guess. :)
indeed. ;)

R0nn

plagiarize said:

I believe it is legally enforced yes. They use the same rating system for television content and films. They used to air this campaign on television about it around the time that the new rating system was launched. There were legal rating systems before, but as of today all media content has been put under one banner and one central system.

Edit: No let me rephrase that. It's not legally enforced. It's more or less an advisory system. It's like: "this is the rating, it's all up to you as a consumer to decide what to do with it." So it's quite a liberal system. I guess they now have the idea that it's a little bit too liberal?

who cares if this makes it a bit harder for adult gamers to purchase them (no shelf space, forced ID control etc.).

Well it could lower overall sales for one if these games get less exposure.

Top Bottom