• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

The puzzle dungeons were my favorite thing about DS1, I liked the portal gun and loved the final level of the game... this is what Darksiders IS. :/ PoP parkour, GoW combat and Zelda puzzle dungeons. I love it! What the fuck, you were expecting the sequel to drop one of the core elements?

Gbraga

The puzzle dungeons were my favorite thing about DS1, I liked the portal gun and loved the final level of the game... this is what Darksiders IS. :/ PoP parkour, GoW combat and Zelda puzzle dungeons. I love it! What the fuck, you were expecting the sequel to drop one of the core elements?

no.gif

Not on the Internet!

One of the more irritating parts about NeoGAF is that every time a bunch of users find some legitimate complaints about a game early on in the OT, there's half dozen others saying, "LOL here we go thisisneogafdude.gif worst game ever I guess huh?" hyperbole.

eshwaaz

Really looking forward to this, but the tearing comments really concern me. The screen tearing in Darksiders 1 on 360 was the worst I've experienced this generation. It was so bad I stopped playing completely until the patch was released. I was really hoping that Vigil would make it a priority this time since there was such a negative reaction to it.

Darksider's combat is not like God of War's, as the very basis for God of War's are some long chain blades, which change just about everything. Combat is more distant in God of War, and the subsequent upgrades have so few moves compared to the blades that they aren't even worth using (and I really wanted to love the Lion fists).

Darksider's combat is more akin to Devil May Cry/Ninja Gaiden, (AND GOD OF WAR IS BASED ON THAT TOO), but also veeeeery different with many innovations of it's own.

Haunted

Noooooo!!!! :( First we get news about Sleeping Dogs' low framerate and tearing and now this?

Not gonna support devs who can't optimize their shit. First game already had awful framerate in the desert areas, I assumed they'd get it right this time! :( I guess I'm gonna sell DS1 for cheap, no longer care about this franchise. Same with Assassin's Creed, Black Ops PS3 and Enslaved. Fuck these devs.

NO BUY THQ.

I hope Digital Foundry proves me wrong, though.
There's a reasonable course of action for people like you who expect to play great games with great graphics at great framerates - and it's not boycotting the franchises (that'd be sad). It's shedding the past, getting rid of the 2005 consoles which are simply not powerful enough to support the vision of cutting edge developers anymore in 2012 and get a gawd damn personal computer.

Sick and tired of people acting surprised when dev after dev after dev has to make compromises all over the place, can't reach the target 720p resolution, has to cope with screen tearing or the framerate not holding. There's a fucking reason why the PC versionis the one they're almost exclusively showing in every single fucking trailer and official video released so far.

All the consoles are doing at this point is holding gaming back. Not the developers who "don't optimise their shit" - fucking outdated console tech is the culprit, nothing else. edit: and because I don't want to derail this thread anymore, I'm out. Darksiders 2 PC version will be awesome and I'll be having a fucking fantastic time playing it.

Feindflug

Do you compare two very linear shooters with an open world title at this size?

Where did I directly compare DS2 with Gears or Killzone? I gave two examples of games that managed to improve their visuals and actually improved their performance at the same time, it was a response to the theory that as the years go by it's totally normal to see worse and worse frame-rates in console games.

If anything games should be smoother now than 3 years ago since the devs are more familiar with each system's pros and cons (edram strengths and limitations, SPU's usage & split memory pools in PS3 e.t.c.).

Anyway I'm done with the topic since we're going off-topic here, I just wanted to say that it's not the tearing that bothers me that much but the confirmation that we had multiple times from the devs that things were fine when they clearly weren't. :(

ironcreed

Banned
Gamepro Germany gave it a 93 and noted:

+ Nice animations, soundtrack
+ Dark dungeons
+ Voice acting praised
+ Coherent sound effects
+ Intuitive combat system
+ Great amount of content
+ Exciting boss battles
+ Skill system praised
+ Varied climbing passages
+ Many dungeons with difficult puzzles
+ Enthralling story
+ Cool characters
+ Very motivating
+ Crucible mode
- Some washy textures, screen-tearing
- A few camera problems

GamePro Germany says that Darksiders II will take players approximately 20 hours to complete the story. You can add on another 30 if you plan on completing all sidequests.

“War was good, Death is better. Darksiders 2 is a huge and stunning action-adventure and it is extremely addictive.”

Play UK gave it an 86 and said:

“While it’s not a huge step up from the original, a break of two and a half years and a bit of polish makes Darksiders II easy to recommend. It has issues, but there’s a hell of a lot of game for those who want it.”

Source:

http://gamingeverything.com/26579/more-darksiders-ii-reviews-swoop-in/

Sorry if already posted.

Forget about screen tearing, I'm more worried about frame rate and input lag. Long as the game is responsive and I can see what I'm doing at all times, I'm still hyped.

ironcreed

Banned
Forget about screen tearing, I'm more worried about frame rate and input lag. Long as the game is responsive and I can see what I'm doing at all times, I'm still hyped.

Yeah, I'll be fine. The game just looks like it does so much right that the scale is weighing heavily in it's favor. Hope my copy arrives tomorrow.

george_us

If the framerate is on par with DS1 then I'll be fine. I just hope you don't have to fight 40 waves of enemies to open a door like in the first DS.

Zeth

Didn't a dev who posts here say " no tearing on console versions" in the past week?

Kinda bummed now, but it's just another reason to pull the trigger on a new PC.

Maffis

Gamepro Germany gave it a 93 and noted:

+ Nice animations, soundtrack
+ Dark dungeons
+ Voice acting praised
+ Coherent sound effects
+ Intuitive combat system
+ Great amount of content
+ Exciting boss battles
+ Skill system praised
+ Varied climbing passages
+ Many dungeons with difficult puzzles
+ Enthralling story
+ Cool characters
+ Very motivating
+ Crucible mode
- Some washy textures, screen-tearing
- A few camera problems

GamePro Germany says that Darksiders II will take players approximately 20 hours to complete the story. You can add on another 30 if you plan on completing all sidequests.

“War was good, Death is better. Darksiders 2 is a huge and stunning action-adventure and it is extremely addictive.”

Play UK gave it an 86 and said:

“While it’s not a huge step up from the original, a break of two and a half years and a bit of polish makes Darksiders II easy to recommend. It has issues, but there’s a hell of a lot of game for those who want it.”

Source:

http://gamingeverything.com/26579/more-darksiders-ii-reviews-swoop-in/

Sorry if already posted.

not a huge step up from the original? what

Well, this OT flipped quickly. Worst game of the year now, right guys?

Fh3ro.gif

ironcreed

Banned
Something I have noticed from what footage I have been watching is that bosses take awhile to beat. Could just be the tactics and weapons used, but still, it's an encouraging sign.

ironcreed

Banned
not a huge step up from the original? what

Well, I can tell just from looking at it that it most certainly will be a huge step up for me. Everything from the character, the darker tone, customization, loads of loot and more open world guarantees it. But of course opinions vary, lol.

Sid

Please don't tell me this thread has been ruined about things like framerate or resolution.

PLEASE DON'T TELL ME THAT
Screen tearing

One of the more irritating parts about NeoGAF is that every time a bunch of users find some legitimate complaints about a game early on in the OT, there's half dozen others saying, "LOL here we go thisisneogafdude.gif worst game ever I guess huh?" hyperbole.
Lol so true

ironcreed

Banned
Top Bottom