• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

dat horror move that fucks you up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
not even gonna post what original title (drunk for the win)

but yea anyone have that horror movie that makes them shit scared and either stops them sleeping or nightmares involved.

halloween for me dunno what it is but michael myers makes me scared lol

robotrock

Banned
Super did this to me a few years ago. I don't know if it's considered a horror movie.

that ellen page death

The Exorcist.

I watched it when I was WAY too young, That stuck with me and it still fucks me up as an adult.

The Babadook was very good by the way!

The only one that ever really did this for me was Paranormal Activity 1. Watched it going in blind alone in the house at night. Couldn't sleep with the lights off for a night or two. Dunno why that one got under my skin so much but it did.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
fucked up story for me

i dreamed/nightmared one night that i was michael myers one night and fucked up my my streed

i mean i can remember this to the dot the house numbers the people everything makes me sad even now ):

Exorcist for older, probably Insidious for newer. Possession and evil spirits/demons have always scared the crap out of me as an idea. I just gotta thank my dad for sharing a supposed possession story that took place in Jerusalem as a preface to me seeing Exorcist for the first time when I was young. Was clutching my cat in bed like a bitch after seeing that alone in the dark.

I watched friday the 13th part two when i was way too young.
It fucked me up to the point where is still cant sleep in the dark.

The Conjuring and Insidious 1&2 messed me up a bit. The Babadook didn't affect me at the time, but messed me up significantly for a while a couple days after watching it.

I'm generally more disturbed by supernatural stuff, than say gore. I love zombie anything, just not as affected.

Edit: Original "A Nightmare on Elm Street" 1 and 3 are my gold standard for fright inducing.

Arcayne

The Ring, when she slowly walks toward the TV and then camera pans to a side shot, making the part where she crawls out the screen even more creepy. Fucked me up for years when I was young.

To this day, my skin crawls a bit when the TV turns static.

kunonabi

As a small kid just Deadly Friend and Pumpkin Head. I've become immune to horror movies since then although I still love them. Only movie to shake me up and keep me from sleeping as a teenager/adult was Suicide Club.

a916

I take it The Babadook is really scary... the trailer did nothing for me and I'm a coward when it comes to horror movies.

Is it really that scary without relying on jump scares?

EDIT: Forgot to name my movie but it would The Grudge.

moojito

Another vote for paranormal activity. Sticking a foot out from under the duvet was strictly off limits for a long time after watching that.

justjohn

The grudge. Japanese version. I remember watching it on my iPad in my bedroom at night in a darkened room, and all alone in the house.I was absolutely shitting myself.

Moonkid

A Tale of Two Sisters was the last movie that made me feel scared sleeping in my own bed, and it wasn't even any of the bedroom scenes that scared me during the film.

I'll add one more, but it's more due to a character than the movie. Overall the flick is kinda terrible and not really traditional horror, but the performance of John Cusack in The Paperboy really disturbed me. Never thought I'd see a character like THAT done so damn creepily by someone like Cusack. He channeled a very particular kind of darkness for that role, and you believe that he is this animalistic, sociopathic murderer. There's one scene in particular with Nicole Kidman that really got to me,
where he gets out of prison, goes to Kidman's house and proceeds to brutally have sex with her. Essentially he has been writing Kidman's character letters in prison, she liked the attention at first, then leads him on like she's interested. She eventually realizes what a maniac he is but it's too late, and he's dead set on making her his, essentially enslaving her in a backwoods family home in the swamps of Louisiana.
It's an incredibly graphic scene and the look on Cusack's face the whole time just oozes this greedy, evil, and brutish quality that seems to have no regard for life, only his own satisfaction. Stayed with me for days.

the first time i watched paranormal activity was at the theaters at midnight with a whole buncha friends and packed audience

i was legit shook and when i got home i stayed up all night paranoid about anything moving and the shapes of shadows and the smallest sounds and being watched by something

the blair witch project is also great

sn00zer

Funny Games stuck with me days after.
the first time i watched paranormal activity was at the theaters at midnight with a whole buncha friends and packed audience

i was legit shook and when i got home i stayed up all night paranoid about anything moving and the shapes of shadows and the smallest sounds and being watched by something

the blair witch project is also great

Oh yeah this was THE best movie going experiences Ive ever had. Saw it the second night it was open in my college town when it was still in very limited release. This was back when no one really knew what it was. People literally screamed through the entire final night. It was great.

Superflat

The worst are the ones I saw when I was in elementary school-ish years, so for me it was The Sixth Sense. Watching it now, it's not nearly as scary, but the idea of ghosts under my bed (you know, THAT scene) haunted me for many many nights. That whole subplot was actually freaky as hell to me.

Two of the most impressionable scenes that scarred me for most of my life was the mother reveal in Psycho, and almost anything from The Exorcist. To this day I've never taken the time to actually watch either of those films, but seeing screencaps or clips from those movies still give me chills.

Deep Red, Perfect Blue, and Psycho all significantly scared me more than anything I've ever tried watching.

Other movies that unnerved me for a while after include The Blair Witch Project, the Exorcist, anything by David Lynch, Suspiria, Phenomena, Paperhouse, and Hellraiser.

I wish I could find one. I tried and I tried and I tried, but there's no horror movie that can get any kind of raise out of me. Babadook for example I just found dreadfully boring. I understand its message more or less and whatnot, but it's not much of an actual horror movie imo.

Checking 1408 now. Not bad...still not doing the trick though :p Maybe this thread can point me somewhere good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom