• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

dat horror move that fucks you up

Status
Not open for further replies.

EBreda

I love horror movies (favorite genre) and Babadook did absolutely NOTHING for me. Actually I found it pretty meh.

Id much rather rewatch Insidious 1. Or The Orphanage.

Emily Rose didn't scare me right away, but 2 or 3 nights later I was waking up and checking the clock just to be safe It wasn't 3:33. It creeps on you for a while.

For cheap scares, it hardly gets better than that movie with the dolls and you can't scream otherwise it will bite your tongue off. Forgot the name. Nice twist too. Fun movie.

EBreda

Oh, forgot about Communion. This kinda of stuff REALLY creeps me out. Also Christopher Walked in inhenterly creepy.

Mr. Sam

The Babadook didn't actually scare me at the time. Well, not all that much - the tension had dissipated by the third act, and it really needs to stick around for a horror movie to haunt me. However, just the other night I had a nightmare/sleep paralysis combo involving The Babadook:

I was at work looking through a file when I noticed a picture of The Babadook on one of the pieces of paper. Frightened, I closed it. I then re-opened it and the picture had gotten larger, which is when I heard "Baba... doooook." I woke up but couldn't move. It felt like something was leaning over me. I could hear loud knocking and heavy breathing (the latter of which I think was me trying to scream but being unable to). I eventually snapped out of it but my wardrobe being wide open didn't help calm me down.

Novocaine

The Ring, when she slowly walks toward the TV and then camera pans to a side shot, making the part where she crawls out the screen even more creepy. Fucked me up for years when I was young.

To this day, my skin crawls a bit when the TV turns static.

I'm pretty good with movies but this fucked me up pretty good at the time. I saw it in a cinema baked out of my brain. I didn't sleep well that night, couldn't stop staring at the TV hoping it wouldn't turn on.

Talking about the American release here, just in case you were referring to the Japanese one.

My mom and aunt were watching Demon Knight, and some other horror movies when I was little and refused to get off the couch to pause it, so I could run to my room. So I spent the night huddle under a blanket listening to people scream. Demon Knight still makes me shudder. Any horror movie makes me shudder.

I've seen my favorites so many times they kinda lost their scaryness... only remaining movie that I have trouble watching is Ju-On... somehow this movie fucks with my imagination and I start looking for shit that isn't there... also don't like that sound.

Pickman

Critters. Doesn't need to make sense as to why it terrifies me, it just does. I think it's the idea of something so small but incredibly deadly lurking around under my bed, waiting to chew me to death as soon as I put my feet down.

Saw it when I was 8 or 9 on cable late one night and I've been scared witless of the movies ever since.

Chabbles

Has anyone seen Lake Mungo? I remember seeing this movie like two years ago and feeling utterly shocked and depressed after its resolution. It was overall a very unsettling experience.

Edit: It's a slow-moving and rather psychological movie about grief, so it might not be anyone's cup of tea.

Lake mungo was worth the watch imo, better than alot of these newer big budget horror movies from the last few years.

Who's seen The Boogeyman 3 ? I wouldnt say it would fuck you up, but i enjoyed it.

Christos

I love horror movies (favorite genre) and Babadook did absolutely NOTHING for me. Actually I found it pretty meh.

Id much rather rewatch Insidious 1. Or The Orphanage.

Emily Rose didn't scare me right away, but 2 or 3 nights later I was waking up and checking the clock just to be safe It wasn't 3:33. It creeps on you for a while.

For cheap scares, it hardly gets better than that movie with the dolls and you can't scream otherwise it will bite your tongue off. Forgot the name. Nice twist too. Fun movie.

You are talking about Dead Silence and yes it's a pretty good horror movie.

totoro'd

Lol this, it's been awhile since i've seen the actual movie, but sometimes when i wake up in the middle of the night i look at the clock because i'm scared it's going to be 3 am, all because this movie put that in my head

Also the Exorcist and the Paranormal Activity movies

I am 99% of the time fine with horror movies, but I watched Sinister recently and damn there is not a moment in the movie where you can relax, it is tense start to finish, even in scenes where the character goes somewhere for help and is out of the house, there is a sense of tension like something scary is going to happen.

I also thought the original Cabin Fever was pretty gross. I am usually fine with even really gory movies but this made my stomach turn and I felt physically nauseous after watching it. I was like 11 at the time though lol.

The first time I saw The Ring and The Blair Witch Project, both did a really good job of freaking me out. They wouldn't have that effect on me now though.

The Exorcist, on the other hand, scared the crap out of me the first time I watched it as a 13 year old kid and it still scares the crap out of me when I watch it now. Love it though, such a great film.

The first half of It terrified me as a kid. Hell, even now I get goosebumps just looking at pictures of Pennywise. The opening shot of him still gives me the creeps.

tumblr_mru04aL9Gd1r2r5igo1_500.gif

Vazduh

My god [REC] really fucked me up. So did the second one.

Is the American remake of that one any good?

I'd dare say it's 80% identical, down to the framing of some shots (the writer/co-director Jaume Balaguero was asked about it in the recent AMA and said that it was a weird experience watching the remake).

There are a couple of additions which I actually appreciated, although they didn't really add much to the movie. The ending is executed in the same way, yet the
reason behind the happenings
is completely different than in [REC]. It's more... grounded.

Give it a watch, you might find it fun, just to compare it with the original. I like both movies, although [REC] is obviously better and scarier than Quarantine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom