• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

dat horror move that fucks you up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tianbur

Then only film that iv ever had a problem with was Event Horizon and just to put it out there I watch a lot of horror movies. I'm not really sure what it was about it but I had a dream where people that I knew would die the same way people died in the film. It's not even that good a film.

First time I saw event horizon was pretty scary.

Good to know I'm not the only one.

The Babadook is nightmare fuel

I never quite understood the whole love for The Babadook. It more shows
how people handle stressful situations and that some create fictional characters to handle their situation
, but it was not scary in the slightest and the 80's horror sounds did not help with that.

ElTopo

Banned
I grew up on horror movies (started watching them when I was 6 years old) so threads like these always amuse me. They always remind me of that one X-Files episode that was shot live like an episode of Cops and Muldur and Skully are investigating the latest monster of the week and they arrive at some Spanish woman's house and she's scared shitless and all that. They ask her to draw the thing she saw and she draws them a picture of Freddy Krueger and their reaction was like "Wut? Really?" and they soon figured out that the monster took the appearance of a person's greatest fears.

Randam

I'm going to add The Girl Next Door(2007) to the list as well.

http://i.imgur.com/TmZHIK0.jpg

there is a simular film with ellen page, based on the same true story: An American Crime

I'm surprised no mentions of Event Horizon. That movie is all kinds of fucked up, it's just plain evil. Something about space and horror. There depiction of what Hell could be like is beyond scary.
first page:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm taking some notes :D

For me, there's only one movie where it has affected how I actually make decisions:

Jaws

While on vacation, friends will be swimming, jetting around on seadoos etc. in the ocean and I will be treading water in the pool that the hotel offers.

Well after reading the first page of this thread, I immediately rented Babadook from Amazon and watched it. GAF kind of let me down. There were a few genuinely unsettling parts
("BA BA DOOK DOOK DOOK" as it was in her room)
, but I'm not scared or unsettled now that it's over. I was paranoid for days after I first watched The Grudge, for example.

The short stories Mama and Lights Out were pretty unnerving when I watched them after spending hours reading creepypasta on my day off.

EDIT: Sinister was also really well done. It's definitely one of my more recent favorites.

The Exorcist.
That one scene with the girl screwing herself with a cross still disturbs me a lot, I can only imagine how people felt about it back in 1973.

I recently watched The Babadook and that one was pretty good. Probably one of the better horror movies of the past decade.

Steamlord

I should probably clarify for those planning to watch The Babadook:
It's not the kind of movie that will scare you shitless and keep you awake worrying that a monster will get you or whatever. It just has a very bleak, oppressive atmosphere and touches on some very real issues viewed through the lens of horror. It won't make you afraid of the dark; it's more likely to make you depressed and emotionally exhausted, and maybe a little unsettled depending on what types of horror affect you. So if people say it "fucked them up," to use the wording of the thread title, it's probably more of an emotional thing than a state of fear and paranoia. Saying it's "nightmare fuel" might be a bit misleading.

grumpy

The Babadook is nightmare fuel

The Babadook is a well made horror flick but I don't know if I would call it nightmare fuel,
despite containing lots of nightmare fuel material

It contains just the right amount of suspense, mystery and
human misery
and its low budget production values work in the film's favour.

EDIT: Basically, read steamlord's post above mine.

Monster movies, ghost movies, and occult movies do nothing for me. So I'm glad to hear this isn't a horror movie, but that Godzilla scream has convinced me to not watch this.

I've been craving a good horror movie lately, but I'm finding nothing but duds. Kill List ended up being an occult movie. I was about to watch Starry Eyes and saw the pentagrams on the cover (occult movie again!). And now this... Seriously, someone please recommend me a good horror movie that (as this thread title says) fuck me up.

I feel pretty much the same way. Occult movies aren't scary to me because they have no real rules to break. Ghosts can do anything the writer wants, so nothing is shocking. 90% of horror in the last decade will at some point feature someones eyes turning white or a little girl rushing towards the camera.

The_Poet

Banned
I thought the title meant things horror films do that fuck you up:

When the camera pans over characters and the monster is behind one of them.

like in the descent:

Descent+one+of+my+favorite+scary+movies+of+all+time_55703e_4589282.gif

DeathyBoy

Banned
The Holiday.

It still gives me nightmares. I mean those kids...

Also, VHS/VHS 2's sleaze fascinates me. It's so creepy in a good way.

Garuda1One

Babadook..

makes you feel soo desperate.. i literally had to watch Earth to Echo directly after babadook finished to lighten up the mood..

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
the Exorcist. fuck that movie, honestly

I must say that, recently, Penny Dreadful got a couple genuine jumps on the seat from me

Christos

Insidious 2, mainly because it was the first time I watched a horror movie in a long time and it really got me. Along with The Conjuring. Also,
THE EXORCIST: NOPE NOPE NOPE
And fuck this guy
wbbw2.jpg

Lender

DeathyBoy

Banned
The Descent is awesome.

I should really see Event Horizon, I've been postponing it for yeeeaaars because I've always heard mixed things about it. Time to give it a shot. Badadook sounds cool too.

Event Horizon sucked the first time I saw it. Then I saw it again years later and it was slightly better. Now I've watched it twenty times this year. It's a really, really good horror film that gets better the more you watch and you start to notice the little touches.

Namikaze1

Child's Play - couldn't sleep at night during parts of my childhood because of this fucking movie. I kept imagining my mother's dolls back then would come to life and kill me

The Exorcist - the bed scene.

Nightmare on Elm Street - what a great idea to show this to a kid who just got over Chucky, dad!

To this day, only the Exorcist gives me chills. I can't even watch that movie alone.

Edit: Forgot about IT. Yeah, that's on my "Never watching again" list. I just can't watch it. Fucking hated clowns since then.

SpacLock

I just want to note that I'm not easily scared of films. Most horror films do nothing for me these days, but here's some that have stood out through my life:

Blair Witch scared the shit out of me more than anything ever has as a kid, but the genre did not really exist before it. Now you have Paranormal Activity and such.

The alien walking past the camera in Signs sent one of the coldest chills down my spine, and that was in a theater. I'll never forget the first time I saw that.

Mulholland Drive. The dream behind the diner.

It's not even a horror movie and I think that's why it caught me off guard to such a degree. It's filled with so much dread and captures the feeling of a bad dream so unbelievably perfectly.

This stuck with me. I have forgotten every single scene in that movie except for that.

Poltergeist. I had nightmares for a decade.

Still only the exorcist for me. The atmosphere is creepy as hell even before she gets possessed
Same here. There are very few horror movies with images/scenes that will linger in the back of my head for a few minutes after turning the TV off, but the Exorcist always manages to stay with me for a few nights after watching it. I still have to close my eyes at the
let Jesus fuck you
and spider-stair scenes. Heh.

isuzu

Babadook

the supernatural stuff isn't even scary
but dat Essie Davis coming for the kid made me want to reconsider having children since I also suffer from major depression

Dascu

Night of the Seagulls (1975) - Theatrical Trailer: http://youtu.be/B4wbEhQ93t4

I saw this 1975 Spanish horror flick when I was like 5 years old. Terrible idea, I know. the cinemotagrphy, the effects and direction may not hold well to today's film standards, but in my opinion, thats precisley what makes it creepy, that 70's score, the camera truck ins and outs, the soft, vaselline lens filters etc. I love how the dead horsemen look, their creepy, drapped horses, sooo good!!

This is a horror franchise I would love to see a remake/reboot of. They're painfully low-budget and difficult to watch these days, but I just adore the concept of those blind Templar zombies.

Limit

If someone were asking for movie recommendations and had mentioned they enjoyed black swan, I would suggest babadook. It's a psychological thriller. Not a traditional horror movie per se.

As for the thread, I would argue that the first half of insidious is still legitimately scary. Some great jump scares. And though its scariness has all but washed away, the reality breaking aspect of the ring was brilliantly spine chilling. I had never seen anything like that before and haven't seen anything that creative in a horror movie since.

The only scary thing about the Babadook is the pop up book.

That thing was terrifying.

The movie was a lighthearted romp in comparison

Also the kid is horribly annoying

Carnby

I feel pretty much the same way. Occult movies aren't scary to me because they have no real rules to break. Ghosts can do anything the writer wants, so nothing is shocking. 90% of horror in the last decade will at some point feature someones eyes turning white or a little girl rushing towards the camera.

Ghost movies start and end with The Exorcist.

Occult movies start and end with Rose Mary's Baby.

I haven't decided what the only praise worthy monster movie is, because I can't think of any good ones.

LifEndz

Never heard of babadook, but I'll definitely watch it based on the consensus here. The trailer for it alone was scary.

Drag me to Hell fucked me up big time, but Raimi I kept diluting many of the scariest parts by injecting humor into it, which I was thankful for when I watched it alone, but in hindsight I gotta say all the tension breaking comedic moments keep it from taking the top spot.

The original Texas chainsaw massacre is probably my number one. That scene at the dinner table where grandpa is brought in robbed me of many nights of sleep as a kid....and an adult.

Pilgrimzero

Babadook wasn't scary. Then again most horror movies don't scare me anymore.

1408 was really good but Diary of Emily Rose really bothered me for a while.

Way way back Poltergeist really had my number. I recall it getting constant play on HBO back after it came out.

Zaph

Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County

This is the only film to ever legitimately scare me to the point where I slept with the lights on.

When I was a kid this really got me. I was home alone and thought it would be another typical SciFi Channel shitty movie. The slow build up of terror with the noises on the roof and the end where
his family are walking away hypnotised and there's nothing he can do to stop them
really got me. Probably the main reason The Blair Witch didn't bother me much - I had already seen this.

Very few people seem to know of it whenever horror films get brought up in conversation. Probably doesn't help that it goes by so many different names. It's simply called The McPherson Tape in the UK.

takriel

Has anyone seen Lake Mungo? I remember seeing this movie like two years ago and feeling utterly shocked and depressed after its resolution. It was overall a very unsettling experience.

Edit: It's a slow-moving and rather psychological movie about grief, so it might not be anyone's cup of tea.

Bulk_Rate

As a 12-year old, "The Hitcher" w/ Rutger Hauer shook me up and left me upset and scared after the lights went out. Mainly due to the truck scene and his terrifying coldness throughout the flick.

Martyrs was pretty fucked up.
When what's her name finally stops struggling and you kind of think they're gonna lot her go but instead... yeah. For that second half, or pretty much after her friend dies I was like, "You better get out of that fucking house." "What the fuck are you still doing in the house?" "Why didn't didn't you leave the house?" "Wait, what's he gonna do with those scissors? WHAT THE FUCK? WHY DIDN'T YOU LEAVE THE HOUSE?"

That movie got me hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom