• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating-Age |OT4| Realise You're Living in the Golden Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
So about that...

I should have just said that last night was not good for dinner. It turned out we were both very tired and she ended up just wanting to meet me at the restaurant instead of me picking her up. We both said we were going to crash when we got home. This is not how I wanted a proper "date night" to go...

Dinner went great and I texted her after I got home saying that I had a great time as usual. She didn't respond and I looked on OKCupid and saw she was online. Too tired, a couple of drinks and I was jealous of her being online so I texted. "You are right, you are a bad lier (she had told me this before). Good luck with your online dating."

Without sparing all the details, lets just say there is a new rule of dating TylerD... Only being able to have conversations about the relationship over text is an absolute deal breaker. I tried to tell her that you need to read my texts as me sitting there in front of you just talking because I have had no reason to rant and have not been ranting which she accused me of doing in the past which again, was a shock to me.

That is the problem with texting, she can read what I am saying in pretty much any context, tone, voice, etc...

Anyway, she has totally been screwed up by other people. She didn't give me a chance to say anything this morning. Prompt text first thing in the morning saying that she is in her shell and didn't even like hugging and I kept pushing the issue, which is the first time I heard of that. I apologized and she told me not to contact her again.

LOL
Don't rely on texting for long conversations. Pick up the phone and call the girl for that. If she doesn't respond to your phone call then move on and don't continue to call/text afterwards. You'll seem desperate which is a turnoff for most women.

TylerD

That text sounds pretty passive aggressive and douchey to me, so not sure why you sent it. Getting upset because she checked her okc account seems over the top.

I totally agree. It was a huge mistake and I really regret it.

Don't rely on texting for long conversations. Pick up the phone and call the girl for that. If she doesn't respond to your phone call then move on and don't continue to call/text afterwards. You'll seem desperate which is a turnoff for most women.

The last thing I want to use is texting for conversation. It was becoming very apparent that she was not willing to communicate about those things unless it was through text which is unacceptable.

depths20XX

So I just signed up for OKC after ending a 2.5 year relationship last Saturday. Kinda just curious to see what's out there and I don't wanna be single for long.

I feel like some of these girls have waaay too much info in their profile and it kind of ends up being a turn off in the end. I feel like the profile should give me just a taste of who you are not be some advertisement for how you're always so busy rock climbing and sky diving and being active constantly. It's either that or they seem kind of creepy and angry.

Servbot24

Banned
So I just signed up for OKC after ending a 2.5 year relationship last Saturday. Kinda just curious to see what's out there and I don't wanna be single for long.

I feel like some of these girls have waaay too much info in their profile and it kind of ends up being a turn off in the end. I feel like the profile should give me just a taste of who you are not be some advertisement for how you're always so busy rock climbing and sky diving and being active constantly. It's either that or they seem kind of creepy and angry.

I always feel a bit intimidated by the girls who act like they have some epic adventure every weekend, honestly I just want to hang out at home most of the time. :p

Best

Update if anyone cares

Texted that girl telling her to come for a drink with me tomorrow. She said she's with her family that night and that I should have asked her earlier. Asked if I was going out clubbing that night because she was. I said I can't, I'm too busy with work these two days. Just asked "Friday?". And she said okay. Told her I'll text her on Friday then and to have a good time tonight.

Went well I think.

Darklord

Banned
So I got rated on a dating site saying this girl wanted to meet me. Surprisingly, she's really cute! Decent profile too. So I send her a message...nothing shows up. It says it sent but it's not showing up anywhere. I try another profile and send one to that, sure enough it shows up as sent. So I try again with this girl, and once again it doesn't show up. It seems the one girl who rated me highly and wants to chat I can't message...

DyTonic

Banned
You have to message 100 girls before you get a date, and girls have to filter through 100 guys before they find someone they like.

Some of these girls don't even look that good lol, I just give them the chance and see where shit goes.. but everyone ego seems to be high on that site. Any other site with "real" people.

depths20XX

You have to message 100 girls before you get a date, and girls have to filter through 100 guys before they find someone they like.

Is it really that bad? Given that 95% of the women on this site are obese, I don't even think I would want to message that many in my area.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Give me the truthfacts GAF: Ugly/Attractive/Fat/Overweight/Average?

imSArSbKVZFZf.jpg

ibzxbaxJxK9X2J.jpg

iG5jqfA22hnR1.jpg
I never take selfies, but I want honest feedback.

faridmon

You should be more confident about yourself whether you are not attractive or not, the way you present yourself is what makes you attractive.

easier said than done, since I do not have a shed of confidence in my look

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
You should be more confident about yourself whether you are not attractive or not, the way you present yourself is what makes you attractive.

easier said than done, since I do not have a shed of confidence in my look
Of course, but I still want to hear the opinions of others.

Darklord

Banned
Try to have a more natural smile, that one seems forced but I guess it's just a selfie. Show teeth in the smile. Maybe do something with your hair. Get it styled, moose it, something. Otherwise you look like a totally normal human male.

Also, faridmon is right. Even if you don't have confidence, fake it.

stn

@A Human Becoming

SMILE! You seem to lack confidence in your picture. I totally understand this, its very difficult to be photogenic. Even at my best I always wonder how a pic is going to turn out. Anyway, aside from that I'd recommend you either grow your hair at the front since you have a wider forehead, or you at least style it somehow. I would go to a stylist and ask him/her what would work best for your head shape.

You look totally fine, man.

EDIT: Can you grow facial hair? A light goatee seems like it would suit you!

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
A human I would recommend waxing/gelling your hair to give it a style and perhaps do a little bit of lifting or cardio if you want to boost your self confidence and physique as that would help. Combine that with increasing your confidence and be happy and you'll be good :)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Try to have a more natural smile, that one seems forced but I guess it's just a selfie. Show teeth in the smile.
I force myself to smile everyday, but it hasn't gotten any easier. I don't like showing teeth because mine are yellow, an unfortunate side effect from medicine as a baby. Whitening toothpaste has never worked, only a dentist trip. I've been meaning to look into some whitening/dental gum.
Darklord said:
Maybe do something with your hair. Get it styled, moose it, something. Otherwise you look like a totally normal human male.
It is styled. I have hair gel in it.
overweight? dafuq man.
If you saw me without a shirt on you would understand, but I wouldn't put you through that hottie. Terrible, terrible moobs.

That's what I most ashamed about with my body. I should start doing a regiment to fix my chest. My emphasis lately has been on running, sit ups and squats.
@A Human Becoming

SMILE! You seem to lack confidence in your picture. I totally understand this, its very difficult to be photogenic. Even at my best I always wonder how a pic is going to turn out.
Only photo I've done recently with a genuine smile was with my grandmother:
(My hair looks bad in this picture)
stn said:
Anyway, aside from that I'd recommend you either grow your hair at the front since you have a wider forehead, or you at least style it somehow. I would go to a stylist and ask him/her what would work best for your head shape.
I actually went to a stylist to have my hair done. It's suppose to look this this:
stn said:
EDIT: Can you grow facial hair? A light goatee seems like it would suit you!
I can't see myself with a goatee. I tried growing like this ring of hair around my face before, but it was too much work and one of my close friends told me I look like shit with facial hair. :\
A human I would recommend waxing/gelling your hair to give it a style and perhaps do a little bit of lifting or cardio if you want to boost your self confidence and physique as that would help. Combine that with increasing your confidence and be happy and you'll be good :)
See above regarding the hair. I am running right now, but no lifting.

Servbot24

Banned
Give me the truthfacts GAF: Ugly/Attractive/Fat/Overweight/Average?

I never take selfies, but I want honest feedback.

I can tell you're a little overweight. Not shamefully so or anything, but it's noticeable. Your face is pretty much average looking, but you need to do something different with your hair - the model you linked has a very full head of hair and yours just doesn't work that way, it looks like you woke up and only combed down the center of your head. Get a new 'do, lose a few pounds, and you'll do just fine. Oh, and straighten your collar. :p

Btw can you grow a beard?

stn

I'd say grow a light beard, just enough to have some facial hair. Basically, don't be clean-shaven. Finally, just even out your bangs so that they cover your whole forehead. Like I said, it looks wide and would be better-suited to that type of hairstyle. You want it to be as even as possible.

EDIT: Something like this may work:Haircut

Astral

I force myself to smile in almost every picture. I just don't smile often unless someone says something funny or if I see a cute baby or something.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I can tell you're a little overweight. Not shamefully so or anything, but it's noticeable. Your face is pretty much average looking
Thank you for your honesty. I've always thought I was a generic looking white guy.
Servbot24 said:
...but you need to do something different with your hair - the model you linked has a very full head of hair and yours just doesn't work that way, it looks like you woke up and only combed down the center of your head.
I don't like how short my hair is. Do you think it will look okay once it's grown out?
Servbot24 said:
Btw can you grow a beard?
I'd say grow a light beard, just enough to have some facial hair. Basically, don't be clean-shaven.
Are you saying a slight stubble with no neck hair?
Finally, just even out your bangs so that they cover your whole forehead. Like I said, it looks wide and would be better-suited to that type of hairstyle. You want it to be as even as possible.

EDIT: Something like this may work:Haircut
That would look okay on me.
If you're forcing yourself to smile, you have bigger problems which you need to address first.

#ThisThread
My problems will never go away. All I can do is manage them.

stn

Yes, a light stubble. Your facial structure would look fine with it. Keep it trimmed and neat. As for the hair, you know what I think. If you grown it long, go for it. I'd say it keep it short but keep it even. That's the key. You don't have a straight head or hairline so you want to cover it as much as possible.

Good luck, man! If you want, show us pics if/when you acquire this new look.

yep, a light or medium stubble looks nice on almost every male human being imo. if you can grow one of course.

on a completely different note:
I'm having major dating trouble. the guys I know don't interest me and getting to know new guys gives me such a hard time. I very rarely get actually talked to & I don't usually approach them myself cause I'm kinda shy in most situations, so there's that.
I already tried changing my attitude, being more open (appearing more approachable maybe, cause I thought that might have been the problem) and perhabs a tiny bit more aggressive (since waiting for the guys to make the first step will probably turn me into a withered corpse before I hit my 30's) but so far nothing has changed. every time I make direct eye contact and smile at a guy in a obviously flirty manner he either looks away instantly or I get a rather vacant stare. that's really nothing to work with. I don't want to talk to a person who can't even look me in the eye... this is so discouraging to me because I keep thinking a person that's interested would at the very least smile back. any tips coming from a male perspective? how would you like to be approached? would you get the hint if a girl did the same eye-contact-flirty-thingy? is it delusional or a legit way to check out if there's mutual interest before "taking further action"?

Astral

yep, a light or medium stubble looks nice on almost every male human being imo. if you can grow one of course.

I'm having major dating trouble. the guys I know don't interest me and getting to know new guys gives me such a hard time. I very rarely get actually talked to & I don't usually approach them myself cause I'm kinda shy in most situations, so there's that.
I already tried changing my attitude, being more open (appearing more approachable maybe, cause I thought that might have been the problem) and perhabs a tiny bit more aggressive (since waiting for the guys to make the first step will probably turn me into a withered corpse before I hit my 30's) but so far nothing has changed. every time I make direct eye contact and smile at a guy in a obviously flirty manner he either looks away instantly or I get a rather vacant stare. that's really nothing to work with. I don't want to talk to a person who can't even look me in the eye... this is so discouraging to me because I keep thinking a person that's interested would at the very least smile back. any tips coming from a male perspective? how would you like to be approached? would you get the hint if a girl did the same eye-contact-flirty-thingy? is it delusional or a legit way to check out if there's mutual interest before "taking further action"?

I find myself more eager to approach or talk to someone if there are one or more occasions of eye contact beforehand, so I say keep that up. Same for the smiling. If guys keep looking away when you do that they're either shy or not interested. I guess that's not really encouraging but it's no reason to stop.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Overwhelmed by the hotness.

I like aggressive women, since I feel it's always guys taking the risk of a woman being taken or not interested. I'm sure once they get to know you the eye contact problem would go away. I wouldn't get the hint at all, but that's just me. I'm normally oblivious to women being interested.

I say approaching them with something friendly, funny or an excuse to come over is the way to go. You might be shy but I wouldn't worry about a guy being an ass to you. Worse thing that can happen is you have a short conversation before moving on. Now obviously the same thing could be applied to any of the guys in this thread, but that's not the culture we live in: men are expected to go after woman. I think that leave guys more vulnerable to a negative reaction. I want to preface that what I'm about to say is not to flatter you, but an actual observation: You might be getting ignored because the men around assume you're taken due to your appearance. This is a phenomena I've heard of before. I think even models experience it. It's the thought that if a woman is attractive and awesome how could they NOT have had a guy win her heart yet. I'm more likely to think that than they're out of my league.

Haha, I bet I would do the same. =( I should probably work on that.

yeah you should! and you really can work on that, trust me! I did the same thing.

I find myself more eager to approach or talk to someone if there are one or more occasions of eye contact beforehand, so I say keep that up. Same for the smiling. If guys keep looking away when you do that they're either shy or not interested. I guess that's not really encouraging but it's no reason to stop.

well at least I know I'm not completely wrong with what I'm doing

I say approaching them with something friendly, funny or an excuse to come over is the way to go. You might be shy but I wouldn't worry about a guy being an ass to you. Worse thing that can happen is you have a short conversation before moving on. Now obviously the same thing could be applied to any of the guys in this thread, but that's not the culture we live in: men are expected to go after woman. I think that leave guys more vulnerable to a negative reaction. I want to preface that what I'm about to say is not to flatter you, but an actual observation: You might be getting ignored because the men around assume you're taken due to your appearance. This is a phenomena I've heard of before. I think even models experience it.

what can I do to tell them I'm available then...should I get "SINGLE" tattooed on my forehead? :/ I don't really want to be too forward either, that's simply not my style + I made the experience that it may attract the wrong kind of guys. aah so fucking complicated. I sometimes wonder how other people get this shit right at all.

btw... I think women are just as vulnerable as men when it comes to stuff like that.

As direct as it may seem, I think your actions leave too much room for doubt from the recipient's perspective.
what can I do to tell them I'm available then...should I get "SINGLE" tattooed on my forehead? :/ I don't really want to be too forward either, that's simply not my style + I made the experience that it may attract the wrong kind of guys. aah so fucking complicated. I sometimes wonder how other people get this shit right at all.
Being forward is for the best, I think. There's enough bullshit when it comes to relationships.

Hey GAF!

Okay, so my now ex-girlfriend of 5 years broke up with me about a month ago. It's been tough going, but the past couple of days I feel like I'm making good headway. Trying to better myself physically and mentally. While I'm still not 100% ready to start dating again, I am kind of scared.

Talking and interacting and flirting with girls isn't a problem for me. The problem for me is how concerned I am with my physical appearance, especially how skinny I am (6'1", about 150 pounds.)

I've been hitting the gym the past few weeks and eating as much as I can. I am hoping within the next year I can really get to where I want to be. It can be very demoralizing talking to a really cute girl who could probably beat you up in a fight.

Girls, how important is physique to you? If a guy has a great personality but has the body of a 12 year old girl, does that turn you off?

Also, I'm just not sure how to present myself anymore. Having a girlfriend for 5 years and you kind of just stop paying attention to that.

I've attached two pictures to this post, wondering if people can give me some honest feedback on my style/appearance and what I can do to change/improve. Ditch the glasses? Lose the beard? Grow out my hair longer?

cSKfupU.jpg

Here I am on the right, in the pink.

OZEzhTT.jpg

And here I am in the middle, purple/glasses.

Aside from hitting the gym and bulking up, what can I do to improve my physical appearance so I can stop worrying about that when talking to girls?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member

btw... I think women are just as vulnerable as men when it comes to stuff like that.
I have a problem with the latter sentence because of the former. Our culture depicts men as being very sex driven and women as not interested or if expressing so a slut/whore/skank. That leads to women being objectified and men to be evaluated. You could make the argument that being used is more hurtful than to be shown disinterest. What I'm trying to get at is I've only once ever been cold to a woman who tried to approach me and that had nothing to do with her appearance (I was having severe anxiety).

A tattoo would make dating much easier for me. Dating sites and checking Facebook profiles simplify dating greatly. :p More than once I've been disappointed to find a girl I was attracted to had a boyfriend. I don't have an infinite amount of energy to use!

Minamu

What does gaf say? I've been talking to a girl I really like (recently called her a potential gf in here) for the past month or two. We decided to meet up for the first time after a party one night a while back and have had fairly regular text/facebook chat sessions into the wee hours getting to know each other. We met online on Badoo. A few days after our first meeting, she came over from out of town to "watch a movie" with me. This girl said she wanted to marry brent smith so I figured she was okay with having a fwb and/or bf down the line. We did have sex and it was pretty great, one of my best ones ever easily. This was a Tuesday and the second Friday after that, she came over again for a movie, sex, party with my friends, more sex, sleepover, sex the next day and a lot of cozyness until she went home. Everything felt great and the more I got to know her, the more into her I got. But she has now decided that we are done for good. She didn't tell me until yesterday but apparently everything felt wrong in her guts on her way home last Saturday and we have been going forward too fast. Is two meetings on her request all that much in two weeks? o_O She told me that I have too passionate and emotional kisses for a fwb relationship to work and that was grounds for rejecting me! :lol But of course there were more things going on. This girl has been talking nonstop at the age of 21 that she desperately wants a husband and children asap (obviously to fill an imagined void) and she never wanted another fwb thing again because people get hurt. But she went along with it anyway and is now regretting it I guess? Now she's unsure if she wants a bf at all or if her and I are suited for each other (my current lack of interest in children and dreams of moving abroad were also off putting). But as the stupid debate raged on, it becomes clear that she has made plans to meet another guy tomorrow if she isn't sick. She's been curious about him since before she met me but never mentioned him. And being curious about two guys at once, one of which she has never met afaik, isn't fair so she's dumping me despite the fact that we seemed to be getting along perfectly! It certainly sounds like the only thing she's uncertain of here is if he would be a better bf than me and she's willing to take that risk since she told me we're done before ever having met him. Nobody deserves to be treated like this :( Another girl, another fascinating heartbreak, basically. Thinking everything was fine and looking forward to seeing her soon again, this whole thing started with a random message from her saying that she was going to maybe meet a guy tomorrow and asked if that was okay with me since we had only met twice and had made a deal that other people are fine. At this point she had already made the decision to leave me without even telling me we had a problem. How two faced can you get? :(

Minamu

Situations like that contribute to my over analyzing lol
Haha yes I can see that. It's always the same story too it seems. But maybe it's the age thing. I got way too over excited about this girl too soon and over reacted about this breakup. She does have a point in that we've only met twice. But it's not the guy that bothers me, it's the manipulative secrecy and how I wasn't even involved in the decision making that annoys me when everything seemed to be going according to plans. But she is gone now. Apart from coming to my apartment unannounced, she has no way of getting in contact with me anymore.

As always, attachment leads to hurt feelings :( Too many, too long deeeeep conversations (I think we talked online to 7am three nights in a row recently) creates interest in another person's viewpoints. All for nothing even if it gave me many insights.

Leeness

Good luck, girl. I will hope that something clicks for you and you find some cool guy :)

Since B broke up with me, I have been talking to and spending time with this girl. We get along very well and at a different time and place she would likely fall into my type. But, Im not really feeling it right now and I know it is mainly because I am still carrying the torch for B. While I am pretty sure its over between B and me and I have implemented a rule that I will not initiate contact with her, I'm still not over her. Now this new girl has been pretty clear that she is really into me and like I said before she is my type. But I am unsure if I should maybe come clean with her and tell her I'm currently unsure of things and need to take things until I sort my feelings for B out or if I should keep quiet for now and see what happens as Input more distance between my breakup with B.

maxxpower

Well quite honestly, if I saw you on the street I wouldn't approach you because:

a) You're way out of my league.
b) I would assume that you already have a boyfriend.

I have friend who has a look and style similar to yours and she's never had a problem dating because she usually approaches the guy she's interested in. She has some anxiety issues so it took her a while to get to where she is now.

cSKfupU.jpg

Here I am on the right, in the pink.

OZEzhTT.jpg

And here I am in the middle, purple/glasses.

Aside from hitting the gym and bulking up, what can I do to improve my physical appearance so I can stop worrying about that when talking to girls?

You are handsome.

So are some of the people who think so low of themselves on this forum. Confidence from within is only going to solve these obvious body image issues.

overcast

Chronic, you're a good looking dude. Don't sweat it. Even at that height and weight. Muscle doesn't hurt of course. I think you're rocking what you're wearing there.

I got out of a relationship that seemed like forever 4+ months ago, feel great now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom