• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe and Sony Designer discuss Halo TV-ad, MOH and respect for veterans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshicus

typhonsentra said:
I'm surprised so many people care about the story. Am I really the only person who thinks of MC as a talking robot and the Covenant as giant bug monsters? I know what they are supposed to be but it seems so superficial and rarely ever comes up in the course of the games.
Well, except for the many times that it *does*. The start and end of every level with a load of dialogue in between for instance.

Jaffe: It's not an issue of disrespect to the troops. It's an issue of them riding on the sentimentality of people when they talk about how much they care and understand the sacrifice of the soldiers and then put out a sub par shooter that has nothing to do in the play mechanics or design with the sacrifice the soldiers went thru. It's all window dressing that shows either the team doesn't understand how to apply the history 'under the hood' and apply it to the play itself OR it shows that EA does not care about the message at all, and it's all a way to market the game./

ADAM: i agree that most of the finished products veer off from the original intent. it's big problem at EA for MOH

I could be crazy, but to see a former MOH developer NOT defend a title he worked on? Priceless. :lol :lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Dualist said:
A Sony developer saying something another console company has is bad, thats amazing.

Not that this thread was ever going anywhere, but I will give a mod a swirlie if they lock it. If it's Bish, he will need to shave.

Dai Kaiju

Stinkles said:
Too late, YOUR game is stupid!

Don't sweat it at all. It's your opinion, you're entitled to it. But watch Little Dieter Needs to Fly to see why this has nothing specific to say about veterans of WW2, and why it is in fact intended to be very respectful to all veterans, of all conflicts. I love MOH, incidentally.

God dammit, this would have been the best post in GAF history if it wasn't for that J/K spoiler. This thread kinda reminds me of when Dyack challenged Luke Smith to a fist fight er... "face to face".

TheKurgan

I think the ad is pretty lame - but this Adam guy is a just a sad little man...

Adam: well, for 1, i think it's disrespectcful to actual veterans of real wars
and 2, they really expect people to become that invested in the halo story?

First off how the hell is it disrespectful? Second last time I checked Halo has a lot of pretty hardcore fans. So yes I think MS expects a few of the millions who will buy Halo to become invested in the story. The ad is actually fan service for those hardcore fans who will buy and 360 (probaby the ugly green one) and become invested in the story.

Scott x 2

I feel sorry for Adam, he gave his view and now has to feel the wrath of the gaf...

Theres nothing better than a good roasting of a developer.

Barakov

Dai Kaiju said:
God dammit, this would have been the best post in GAF history if it wasn't for that J/K spoiler. This thread kinda reminds me of when Dyack challenged Luke Smith to a fist fight er... "face to face".

I believe Dyack was looking to having a face to face conversation with him I believe. A shame it won't happen now.

so uh

why does everyone in the industry hate each other

NEXT IS STINKLES SAYING CALLING ALL CARS IS DISRESPECTING THE POLICE FORCE SAYING THEY DRIVE AROUND WRECKLESSLY

this thread has gone nowhere D:

J-Rzez

Dualist said:
A Sony developer saying something another console company has is bad, thats amazing.

You act shocked... You should expect that by now considering all companies do it...

traveler

Not Wario
Stinkles said:
It interviews a verteran of a completely different war. Everyone should watch it anyway. It's utterly fantastic and awesome. One of the best documentaries about anything, ever.

Did you see Rescue Dawn and, if so, how does it compare? I haven't seen either but wish to.

tanod

when is my burrito
Well isn't it a little pretentious to put so much weight on the story when they said in the last podcast that only 10% of people finished Halo 2?

EDIT: I realize this is probably really old and been discussed to death but I thought I would add it in case it hadn't.

Vrolokus

Banned
The Halo commercial is disrespectful of veterans... but FPSs actually set in WW2 where you treat other human beings like targets in a shooting gallery, humans who don't bleed so the makers of said games can sell them to teenagers, games where picking up and drinking water in a canteen heals gunshot wounds from high-powered rifles... that's all cool, nothing to see here?

My dad is a Vietnam vet. I'd be afraid to even jokingly suggest Call of Duty or Medal of Honor were "respectful of veterans". And I doubt a commerical about a veteran from a galactic war would upset him.

Ether_Snake said:
Bu-bu-but, the Halo theme has Gregorian chants, and pianos, and violins!
:lol I'm not the only one who finds the Halo theme to be incredibly pretentious.

KTallguy said:
I felt the same way though after watching it.

"Am I missing something here?"

I've played Halo 1 and 2. The characters were not that interesting.

Star Wars of our generation might be correct, but I'd hardly say Halo's story is as memorable, creative, or interesting as Star Wars.

The thing I like the most about Halo is the concept of a ring like planet, really.

Its really hard to take the Halo universe seriously when the aliens look like shiney gremlins. Everything looks like it belongs in power rangers.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Stinkles said:
Not that this thread was ever going anywhere, but I will give a mod a swirlie if they lock it. If it's Bish, he will need to shave.
WELL WELL IF IT ISN'T COLONEL FRANKLIN O'DISRESPECT OF THE "DISRESPECT ALL VETERANS" BRIGADE

COME TO PAY HIS DISRESPECTS

TO VETERANS

OF REAL WARS

buy company of heroes plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom