• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe: Herman Hulst pushed for playstation's Japan Studios closure.

Draugoth

Gold Member
David Jaffe (ex God of War creator) says Herman Hulst pushed for Japan Studio closure (rip Bloodborne)

According to @davidscottjaffe Multiple 'sources' have confirmed that Connie Booth was fired from Playstation "Many of the Playstation devs are pissed about the pivot to G.A.A.S."

As per one of the Sources Hermen Hults was in Big favour of cutting off all Japanese studios.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
806-CA7-CF-BF77-4895-BDB4-3-C12-F20-B327-C.gif

LordCBH

Look I was disappointed when they closed it down, but Japan Studio hasn’t pulled its weight in at least a decade. Do they need to actually re-invest into building up Japanese titles? Absolutely. I think it’s a big mistake to only rely on third parties to fill the Japanese side of your schedule, but I also can’t blame them for shuttering Japan studio.

EDMIX

Tis only logical.

I love the studio too, but shit you need to fucking actually make a damn profit. They can't have titles in development for almost 10 years only to then barely move enough units to cover another title. The amount of chances that team got is wild and they would have been closed down a long time ago at any other publisher.

This is still a business folks...
But if only type of game are allowed to made are the ones make big bucks then gaming industry would boring as fuck.

Developers like Vanillaware will never make big numbers but I want them continue exist because I love their games.

yea and their games don't go on 10 years development with a massive budget either.

No one is even saying they are not allowed to make different games, they do that all the time with PSVR, Astrobot, Dreams etc, buuuuuuut those make them fucking money, thus exist.

This has nothing to do with feelings man.

It must still make sense as a business in order for teams like that to exist. They were not closed down for lolz or something, clearly too much money was put into projects that profited very little to the point of those teams being alive for charity at some point, to go several generations like that is wild cause under any other publisher, they would be gone within the first few titles of doing this shit, not multiple generations.

nial

Gold Member
As per one of the Sources Hermen Hults was in Big favour of cutting off all Japanese studios.
And of course, there is XDEV Japan, which is in charge of collaborating with external studios to make games like bolded.
David Jaffe (The Always angry ex God of War creator) says Herman Hulst pushed for Japan Studio closure (rip Bloodborne)
But we want those clicks, right?

Angelcurio

Game development is not a charity, you need to bring in money or risk closure.
And yet you need variety to bring new players to the platform. Without Japan Studios we wouldn't have games like Ico, Shadow of Colossus, Wild Arms, Gravity Rush, Locoroco, Patapon, etc. Now look at all the awesome 1st party japanese games we have received after Hust was put in charge 🙄

But if only type of game are allowed to made are the ones make big bucks then gaming industry would boring as fuck.

Developers like Vanillaware will never make big numbers but I want them continue exist because I love their games.
Vanillaware exists because those folks have true genuine passion and enthusiasm to make their work fun, touching, and profound. They truly cherish what they are outputting.

Western gaming industries mostly are just business, they are just gonna output something that can profit, plus putting some politically correct shit to increase their ESG score.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
yea and their games don't go on 10 years development with a massive budget either.

No one is even saying they are not allowed to make different games, they do that all the time with PSVR, Astrobot, Dreams etc, buuuuuuut those make them fucking money, thus exist.

This has nothing to do with feelings man.

It must still make sense as a business in order for teams like that to exist. They were not closed down for lolz or something, clearly too much money was put into projects that profited very little to the point of those teams being alive for charity at some point, to go several generations like that is wild cause under any other publisher, they would be gone within the first few titles of doing this shit, not multiple generations.
There is no need for them to go big budget, I dont want them to......interesting AA games is more than enough for me.

Remember this game? This type of game I want to see comeback from Sony's first party games.
tokyo-jungle-1658846504447.jpg

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Vanillaware exists because those folks have true genuine passion and enthusiasm to make their work fun, touching, and profound. They truly cherish what they are outputting.

Or their sales targets are more modest and the operate within those constraints which is how I wish Sony would have handled Japan Studio. Not everything needs to be AAA . It would allow them to put out more titles quickly, at varying price points, and with more varied design approaches. It would also have the side benefit of one failed project not crippling the studio.

I also understand the argument about Japan Studio's recent struggles, but it isn't like Sony hasn't carried dead weight for long stretches of time. For as much as I respect them, and this isn't me wanted them shuttered, Media Molecule exists. Hell, Herman Hulst had a meteoric ascension within PlayStation and Guerilla didn't find a smashing success until Horizon. There is an ebb and flow to the industry, look at how disappointing ND has been this generation when they've largely carried the brand in the PS3/PS4 era. Insomniac the Inverse as they were largely left for dead at the end of the PS3 era and into the beginning of the PS4 era. Respect to Santa Monica's consistency throughout the years though.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
And yet you need variety to bring new players to the platform. Without Japan Studios we wouldn't have games like Ico, Shadow of Colossus, Wild Arms, Gravity Rush, Locoroco, Patapon, etc. Now look at all the awesome 1st party japanese games we have received after Hust was put in charge 🙄

A variety that leads to success is far superior to a variety that leads to failure.

The games you listed didn't lead to growth. They led to studio closures.

The 12 GAAS projects are an attempt to lead to growth and are much safer bets than another Team ICO project.

Topher

Gold Member

Yeah, I agree. Those are the type of games that helped build the culture that is PlayStation.

Or their sales targets are more modest and the operate within those constraints which is how I wish Sony would have handled Japan Studio. Not everything needs to be AAA . It would allow them to put out more titles quickly, at varying price points, and with more varied design approaches. It would also have the side benefit of one failed project not crippling the studio.

I also understand the argument about Japan Studio's recent struggles, but it isn't like Sony hasn't carried dead weight for long stretches of time. For as much as I respect them, and this isn't me wanted them shuttered, Media Molecule exists. Hell, Herman Hulst had a meteoric ascension within PlayStation and Guerilla didn't find a smashing success until Horizon. There is an ebb and flow to the industry, look at how disappointing ND has been this generation when they've largely carried the brand in the PS3/PS4 era.
Very well said! Look at the PS Plus Premium catalog, I am amazed by the striking diversity of the first party games in PS1/2 era!

nial

Gold Member
I also understand the argument about Japan Studio's recent struggles, but it isn't like Sony hasn't carried dead weight for long stretches of time. For as much as I respect them, and this isn't me wanted them shuttered, Media Molecule exists.
I mentioned this a few days ago, but it's really more about how SIE operates with its subsidiaries and divisions, being much harsher on the latter. For example, Santa Monica Studio almost closed down after GOW Ascension ended up being a flop, but the big difference is that they got back on track and were MUCH more successful afterwards.
My personal view is that they looked at the critical performance of Gravity Rush 2 and Knack 2 compared to Astro Bot Rescue Mission and Astro's Playroom, and ultimately decided to restructure the entire studio to focus on ASOBI Team.

nial

Gold Member
I can understand a lot of people's frustration over the matter, especially with the departure of some people from Japan Studio's (informal) teams that were dedicated to a single series, like Gravity Rush. But at some point, you have to look at their output over 14 years and ask yourself, "what are they even doing with this studio?"
My take on all of this is that the formation of Team Asobi is proof that they actually CARE about their internal Japanese operations, rather than letting them continue to rot for generations to come.
Because in all honesty, without Toyama and Ueda, all you'd get on PS5 are more Knack games (and I don't even dislike Knack).

EDMIX

There is no need for them to go big budget, I dont want them to......interesting AA games is more than enough for me.

Remember this game? This type I wan to see comeback from Sony's first party games.
tokyo-jungle-1658846504447.jpg

Those type of games still exist and are still being made, Team Asboi literally is hiring more.

giphy.gif

For what they were doing with The Last Guardian, they felt they needed the budget, had development hell and it just didn't pay off for the developer, why blame everyone else for the choice of the team? Most publishers would have cancelled a game taking that long and taking up that much resources and its even more shocking they were not closed down soon after its release, but continued to make games.

ulantan

And the industry is littered with a mass grave of failures chasing this dream. And if you look at Fortnite, one the largest success stories in the space, it's path to success is almost by accident. Maybe they'll got lucky and hit, but the odds are way worse than one in twelve.
True but worth a shot

Top Bottom