• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation ‘is working on a counterpunch to Xbox Game Pass’, claims David Jaffe

Kokoloko85

If you're referring to the $1 Gold conversion deal, then 2 years would be close to $120 at the cheapest. Although, I'm not in the loop in regards to GamePass deals, so perhaps you're right. Even so, I'd be willing to bet a large majority of those who paid so little are going to stick around when they have to pay full price, its the whole reason companies with subscription services have such good deals in the beginning. As I said, getting people subscribed is much harder than keeping them subscribed.

I think there was cheaper then $120deals For sure. You might be right but if it doesnt go well in the next couple Of years they will increase the price and it will just be the reverse. Its still early to tell.
If MS didnt have the money they had they wouldnt be able to pull it off for long

Interfectum

Getting into a money war with Microsoft doesn't seem like a good idea. Isn't this essentially what it is?
Depends on what the counter actually is. If it's simply bribing third party games to be on the service, yeah... MS will win.

Hopefully Sony is smarter than that and does it based off of exclusive IP and very specific third party targets.

I don't run a game company nor have any Sony financials but, if they could afford it, I'd go for Konami IP, some smaller studios like IO and a single third party get like GTA. Don't go for quantity, go for known gamer IP. Metal Gear, Street Fighter, GTA, whatever. That would render 90% of the fluff that MS has paid for to get on Game Pass irrelevant.

reinking

Gold Member
I hope Sony doesn't try to compete head-2-head. I do hope they can improve PS Now. I am a big believer in Game Pass right now but I am not hanging my hopes that a big corporation will continue to eat the cost forever. At some point, shareholders will want to see a return on the investment.

MonarchJT

Banned
Getting into a money war with Microsoft doesn't seem like a good idea. Isn't this essentially what it is?
guys the era of the console like we know it ..will end this gen. Sony like Ms is preparing to release games on pc they will expand their market and everything will be fine. Those who are not ready to accept that exclusives will never be true exclusives again, those who cannot accept that games are played and not plastic boxes, those who cannot understand that if Sony does not follow Microsoft they will have serious problems in the future explaining to its users why the same game costs them 69.99 and on Xbox 9.99
Sony doesn't have a ton of other choices honestly.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Depends on what the counter actually is. If it's simply bribing third party games to be on the service, yeah... MS will win.

Hopefully Sony is smarter than that and does it based off of exclusive IP and very specific third party targets.

I don't run a game company nor have any Sony financials but, if they could afford it, I'd go for Konami IP, some smaller studios like IO and a single third party get like GTA. Don't go for quantity, go for known gamer IP. Metal Gear, Street Fighter, GTA, whatever. That would render 90% of the fluff that MS has paid for to get on Game Pass irrelevant.
It's would cost Sony billions to render GamePass irrelevant at this point. They are behind the eightball. This would be exactly the thing Microsoft would want. This type of spending would most likely somewhat neuter their ability to get more studios also. Why fight a war on multiple front?

I think they will try something that won't cost a lot and ultimately will get mediocre returns since the price of the dance has already been set by Microsoft. The price will be all 1st part exclusives on the service.

They really should just commit to what they've been saying for a while and do it. Focus on their first parties and forget the game subscription service.

I mean, I thought everyone was saying GamePass was a money pit anyway. What has changed on Sony's front?

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
a counterpunch is a blow against a rival after they've thrown theirs. It catches them off guard because they didn't see it coming.

We all 'see' the possibility of a Sony gamepass. But there's a chance that it has sod-all to do with gamepass or anything like it. IMO i want Sony not to do a gamepass, cause i already have a gamepass like service, it's called gamepass.

Interfectum

It's would cost Sony billions to render GamePass irrelevant at this point. They are behind the eightball. This would be exactly the thing Microsoft would want. This type of spending would most likely somewhat neuter their ability to get more studios also. Why fight a war on multiple front?

I think they will try something that won't cost a lot and ultimately will get mediocre returns since the price of the dance has already been set by Microsoft. The price will be all 1st part exclusives on the service.

They really should just commit to what they've been saying for a while and do it. Focus on their first parties and forget the game subscription service.

I mean, I thought everyone was saying gamrpass was a money pit anyway. What has changed on Sony's front?
Disney+ was behind the eight ball but the power of their IP has really propelled that service make up a lot of ground very quickly. There's nothing stopping Sony from doing the same. They just need the will and to open their pocket book a little bit.

Hell they could even copy what Disney+ did and say their first party content has to be purchased for the first few months before it goes on their service for 'free'.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Disney+ was behind the eight ball but the power of their IP has really propelled that service make up a lot of ground very quickly. There's nothing stopping Sony from doing the same. They just need the will and to open their pocket book a little bit.
Sony doesnt have not even the slightest appeal that Disney has, much less the money. cmon

Last edited:

Interfectum

Sony doesnt have not even the slightest appeal that Disney has, much less the money. cmon
PlayStation has a much bigger and better legacy and better IPs than Microsoft. That's the point. There is a lot they could do with their past games and their IP to make up ground quickly without spending billions on a publisher or two.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
PlayStation has a much bigger and better legacy and better IPs than Microsoft. That's the point. There is a lot they could do with their past games and their IP to make up ground quickly without spending billions on a publisher or two.
Backwards compatibility isn't done quickly or easily apparently (or cheaply) or else these past games would already be available to play on PS5.

What you are proposing also goes against the current reports of Sony mainly focusing on big 1st party exclusives and not past games. It also goes against what appears to be their mandate this generation.

That's one hell of an audible over a rival service that they've scoffed at it in the past.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
I'm sure that if Sony release their games on day one in a service and release the same games on pc they will be incredibly successful. The real question is can Sony afford it? Launching a service like gamepass means investing infinitely more than 3 or 4 studios that release single player "play it one time and done" GOTY
I don't think Sony is in a real position to respond on the same level as Microsoft… at least not with the current studios

Last edited:

Interfectum

Backwards compatibility isn't done quickly or easily apparently (or cheaply) or else these past games would already be available to play on current gen systems.

What you are proposing also goes against the current reports of Sony mainly focusing on big 1st party exclusives and not past games. It also goes against what appears to be their mandate this generation.

That's one hell of an audible over a rival service that they've scoffed at it in the past.
Sony once said rumble was last gen technology when their controller didn't feature it. Of course they are going to scoff and shit on Game Pass until they have their own service ready to go.

Interfectum

I'm sure that if Sony release their games on day one in a service and release the same games on pc they will be incredibly successful. The real question is can Sony afford it? Launching a service like gamepass means investing infinitely more than 3 or 4 studios that release single player "play it one time and done" GOTY
Sony already seems to be doing pretty good with one new release per month on PS Plus. They've clearly shown they can pump out games via internal or external developers much faster than either MS or Nintendo.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Sony already seems to be doing pretty good with one new release per month on PS Plus. They've clearly shown they can pump out games via internal or external developers much faster than either MS or Nintendo.
i mean ... do you have any idea how much games are released on gp monthly? I don't think you know

Last edited:

12Dannu123

What makes you think Sony can get those 'quality' IP? Sony has no leverage over Microsoft, which in your comment mentions that MS will win in a third party bidding process.

Last edited:

yurinka

I don't think Sony is in a real position to respond on the same level as Microsoft… at least not with the current studios
Sony is already incredibly successful, in gaming history records level of successful. MS isn't. To put Sony's AAA for free day one on PS Now would be an economical suicide that doesn't make sense.

MS does it because they are desperate after seeing they can't compete with Sony and Nintendo selling consoles and games, and to add PC games to the mix wasn't enough. So MS decided to invest Billions throwings them at a loss to try to compete in game subscriptions against Sony, and as of now they have good growth but are still way behind Sony. And we don't know what plans they have to turn Gamepass into a profitable service, because obviously won't be trowing Billions to it forever.

We know Sony is working on their next generation of PS Now as part of the next gen iterations they are making for their hardware, games and services. They will take note about Gamepass and will do something, but forget to see all Sony AAA games and some AAA 3rd party games day one on PS Now. That isn't a smart business decision, they will make something that will make more sense.

I think something they could do is to move the games part of PS Plus to PS Now and reduce the price of PS Plus. Plus starting to include Sony and AAA 3rd party games to PS Now once they stop their commercial life after price cuts and so on, that is after a year or so. Plus allowing you to buy games in the PSN store without having a console to play them via streaming if you have PS Now. Which would mean to be able to stream any game in the PSN store since day one without needing to have it included in the PSNow collection and with a business model that makes sense for both Sony, the dev and the player.

And then every month they'd add to the subscription new games (merging the current PS Now and PS Plus additions) being a mixture of these old 1st party games, old multi 3rd party AAA games, previous gen games and some day one launch indies and maybe from time to time some small 2nd party game.

What makes you think Sony can get those 'quality' IP? Sony has no leverage over Microsoft, which in your comment mentions that MS will win in a third party bidding process.
Sony has the money to buy a publisher like that, but they won't do it because they don't need it, the others may not want to sell and because they already dominate MS in all fronts. They will continue growing their successful internal studios and acquiring 3rd party development studios, mainly ones who have a previous story of successful PS exclusives.

Sony's current strategy is providing them the best results any console maker ever had, and a nice growth, so as long it continues being the case they will continue with basically the same strategy and no big changes, but instead only making the logical tweaks. With the next one being to release the next gen version of PS Now and PSVR adressing the main areas where there is room from improvement but with costs that make sense.

The best counter-punch to GP would be some genuine new generation games.
They are already doing it.

They already released several of them released and have many more announced for this year, while MS mostly only has announced Halo (which is crossgen) from launch until the end of the year. If lucky we may see this year Starfield or a crossgen Horizon 5 this year too, but other than that the big MS next gen only exclusives seems that will start releasing in the second half of 2022 and beyond.

Last edited:

Smoke6

Don' know what your metric for success here is, but by all accounts ~20,000,000 subs to a subscription service in ~4 years, especially when mired with the "no gamez" accusation is pretty incredible.

Completely agree, which makes you doing so here doubly confusing.

So, taking a conservative estimate of all ~20,000,000 GamePass subscribers paying $10 a month, that's $2,400,000,000 in revenue. Of course money had to go to third party deals and overhead, but the idea that you can't fund a $100,000,000 dollar game, or several for that matter, with those numbers and not make money is just not true.

Again, this is not true. Games are actually unique in that many, if not most, have long-term revenue generating potential with things like DLC and Microtransactions; hell, GamePass might increase the money you get from those since the pool of potential players is so large. I predict Microsoft, EA, and Take-Two Interactive are all watching very close to how much money The Show makes on GamePass. Further, if you think everyone is doing the 1$ trick, then you need to step out of your bubble. Even if a substantial amount of people are doing that, it's not literally 1$; loading 3 years of Gold and converting still leaves you paying $5 dollars a month when you do the math. Getting people subscribed is the hardest part; keeping them is comparatively easy.

I agree, studio output has been pretty bad for a while now; it's the reason I didn't buy an Xbox One, haven't bought a Series X, and am not even subscribed to GamePass. As for the power thing, I don't keep up with most of the Comparison threads, but from what I understand they've been either even or with an advantage to Xbox for a bit now, so I'm not sure what you're implying here.

The "Microsoft is going 3rd Party!" should be a meme at this point for how many times it's parroted. Whether you like it or not, Microsoft has a very clear vision and goal with Xbox, one they seem to be satisfied with given how much investment it's received over the last 4 years; they're not gonna just bow out and go 3rd Party no matter how much you want them to. Hell if it turns out well I might actually buy an Xbox at some point, but the idea that the GamePass model is a complete money sink and a "desperation move," especially when its in line with where Microsoft as a whole has been pivoting for a while now, is insanity.
Damn I’m impressed how you quoted all that I’m still learning!

Anyways drop the $20 a month or whatever you used but hardly half of them are paying full price

Shanomatic

Damn I’m impressed how you quoted all that I’m still learning!

Anyways drop the $20 a month or whatever you used but hardly half of them are paying full price
Just hit reply, then go to where in the post you want to respond directly and tap enter, that's what I do :)

Anyway, I got that number by going right down the middle between $15 that some are spending on Ultimate, and the $5 some people spent doing the Gold conversion deal. Even if we half it though, that's still 1,200,000,000 dollars in revenue, and that's assuming no more people join the service.

Hell they could even copy what Disney+ did and say their first party content has to be purchased for the first few months before it goes on their service for 'free'.
Joke post? Comparing Sony IP to Disney is like comparing Macdonalds to a burger van 😅

zcaa0g

Banned
I don't want a PS Gamepass equivalent, I want my damn Motorstorm 1 and 2 and Resistance 1 and 2 on the PS5. Not happening but it makes me feel better calling a whaaaambulance.

M16

MS does it because they are desperate after seeing they can't compete with Sony and Nintendo selling consoles and games, and to add PC games to the mix wasn't enough. So MS decided to invest Billions throwings them at a loss to try to compete in game subscriptions against Sony, and as of now they have good growth but are still way behind Sony. And we don't know what plans they have to turn Gamepass into a profitable service, because obviously won't be trowing Billions to it forever.
last quarters revenues for all 3
xbox: $5 billion
nintendo: $5.8 billion
playstation: $8 billion

yeah, microsoft is not desperate. you guys make it seem like ps4 sold 10:1 against xb1.
the fact that sony started production earlier and had more consoles to sell, and they are only ahead by $3 billion in the latest quarter shows its starting to get really close. and some of you guys are sweating.
when the heavy hitters start pumping from MS's studios, and with gamepass growing at an incredible rate, it wont be long before microsoft has the biggest gaming revenue.
then you guys can keep waging your plastic box wars.

xbox live and psn monthly active users are now very close. ms went from 53 million to 110 million in the last 3 years.
ps+ subscribers are in the 40s million range? gamepass is exploding and probably closing in on 30 million,and thats even without microsofts output yet.(we're not even accounting for paid xbox live users)

Last edited:

Neolombax

If Sony has a plan for this, I wont be opposed to it. If Sony being competitive is the response to Microsoft being aggressive to please consumers this gen, I see this as a positive move.

MonarchJT

Banned
right now ?After the addition of Bethesda ms have hands down the best ip portfolio between two . Halo,Fallout,The elder scroll, Gears, Forza M,Forza H, Doom, Fable,Ageofempire, FlightSim, Wolfenstein,Quake ..this by counting only those who come to my mind because they are really famous

Last edited:

MicTyson

Neo Member
It will be the greatest thing ever if it comes to Sony.

Just like they went on and on about paying for Live years ago and then happily paid Sony to play online.

yurinka

yeah, microsoft is not desperate. you guys make it seem like ps4 sold 10:1 against xb1.
In Spain PS literally outsells 10:1 Xbox, sometimes even 11:1 or above. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And yes, they are. If not they wouldn't be spending over 10B buying studios and giving away AAA games for free on launch day. But I bet they will stop doing it soon after they start releasing big next gen only exclusives from all these more or less recently purchased studios (btw, what Mojan has been doing since Minecraft Dungeons?) and once they get a good number of subscribers who pay a full subscription (not $1 or playing through 3 months free trials).

last quarters revenues for all 3
xbox: $5 billion
nintendo: $5.8 billion
playstation: $8 billion
Better compare an entire year, or an entire generation to see the a more complete picture.

the fact that sony started production earlier and had more consoles to sell, and they are only ahead by $3 billion in the latest quarter shows its starting to get really close. and some of you guys are sweating.
PS5 is only outselling Series 2:1 because there's a limited supply. Once they solve the limited supply issue, the distance will be bigger than in the previous generation.

Mostly because now since day one people won't need to buy and Xbox to play its exclusive because since it launche all its games are available day one on PC, and don't need to buy them because will be on Gamepass. Which also leads to think xbox console games will decline, which means more 3rd parties will lean more to PS5 due to a more sustainable business.

PS4 sold over 1.5B games and counting, and seeing PS5 is outselling it and that there is a monster demand, they may increase the number of games sold in PS5 too.

PS Plus subscribers (not free trials, no $1 subs) are 47.4M as of the end of 2020, up from 38.8M the previous year. PS Network services (mostly Plus+Now) generated $0.916B last quarter. As comparision, the entire MS division where they have gaming generated $5B during that period.

Xbox Live hit 100M MAU figure doesn't make sense unless they are couting people who installed their PC Xbox Windos app when installing Windows or buying a game or getting GP on their store and didn't uninstall it or disabled the autolaunch when launching the PC, so they are counting as active users even if not playing games or visiting their store anymore. Because that figure is too high compared to Xbox sold and global GP subs.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

It's interesting xbox game pass kinda works now because it's a wedge in the gaming space. They currently have a monopoly for this kind of service. If Sony does this it actually reduces the viability.

So this actually would be a move from Sony to hurt the competition by hurting themselves.

Though it would be a benefit to consumers but it could also make the underlying health of the industry worse in the long term.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They got PS Now as a base service. So from there, the next steps can include these IMO this order. Which ones they pick and how much for a PS Now Pro sub plan, who knows.

1. EA Play

2. All those anime streaming channels

3. Day one first party

4. If they can figure out how to do downloads for all games (so no more streaming on PS systems or PC)

Last edited:

BlackTron

Can you imagine Playstation boasting about bringing some of their PS1, PS2, PSP, PSVITA and PS3 as Classics to the PS5? who the fuck would not want a box with that catalogue and ease of use?

It's never gonna happen, but i'm just saying, Playstation's legacy games are a selling point and some kind of identity a promise about the future, it is the brand. The dismissal of this identity by the new management can only rub the wrong way people attached to it, the PS5 has sold on a promise made by the PS4 so changing the tune now will ofcourse have some ripples.

This E3 it's gonna be interesting, unless there are some great news on the way, it's gonna be looking grim.

Full backwards compatibility on PS5, the type of no-questions-asked BC where I can just put in a PS1 disc and it will work, is a feature I want WAY more than gamepass.

It's nice that MS cares so much about BC, but I it doesn't nearly have the value it would on PS.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think Sony needs to do just a few things:

Merge PS Now and PS+.
Get EA Play and a Ubisoft subscription (if possible)
Merge the PS Now downloadable section with PS+ collection.
Put all older downloadable exclusives on there.

That's it. No need to release day-one first-party games and disturb your entire strategy.

sainraja

right now ?After the addition of Bethesda ms have hands down the best ip portfolio between two . Halo,Fallout,The elder scroll, Gears, Forza M,Forza H, Doom, Fable,Ageofempire, FlightSim, Wolfenstein,Quake ..this by counting only those who come to my mind because they are really famous
You shouldn't just overlook people's taste in gaming which basically determines how much 'weight' an IP has but regardless, a lot of those IPs are available on all platforms right now. They don't define what Xbox is at the moment - that will surely happen with the course of time....but we're not there yet.

Agent X

They got PS Now as a base service. So from there, the next steps can include these IMO this order. Which ones they pick and how much for a PS Now Pro sub plan, who knows.

1. EA Play

2. All those anime streaming channels

3. Day one first party

4. If they can figure out how to do downloads for all games (so no more streaming on PS systems or PC)

I think Sony needs to do just a few things:

Merge PS Now and PS+.
Get EA Play and a Ubisoft subscription (if possible)
Merge the PS Now downloadable section with PS+ collection.
Put all older downloadable exclusives on there.

That's it. No need to release day-one first-party games and disturb your entire strategy.

The issue with adding all of these "extras" to PlayStation Now is that you would have to greatly increase the cost of the service

They might be able to introduce another tier with more features at a higher price, but I'd like for them to also keep the existing PS Now as it exists. They shouldn't add EA Play or Ubisoft+ or anime streaming channels and then force existing PS Now users to pay considerably more for content that they don't want.

Lunarorbit

"What it is we don’t know,” Jaffe added. “Here’s what I would say I worry about. If Jim Ryan thinks the proper response to Game Pass is to emulate backwards compatibility, PS3 games, PS2, PS1, and then to also add Trophies, which is what that patent suggests they’re going to do, and they’re also going to fold in all the movies and shit and make a streaming service, he’s absolutely wrong if he thinks that mixing it with PS Now [is the way to go].

Ah. What? Am I missing something here? That's sure as shit what I would want. Jimbo decided the right move is to delete psp, vita, and ps3 from the ps store and have no narrative. They shat the news out in a blog post. Not really well thought out.

Get ps1, 2, 3 games online with trophies for older games. Add to it each month like Nintendo does with their online service. Maybe have fun contests or leader boards for a few games each month. There's a ton of communities that already do stuff like this.

Bloodborne came out on ps plus and it received a huge ground swell of new players. Imagine them putting that game out with a small dlc pack, new trophies, upgraded frame rate, and a leader board. Maybe the top people or teams would get an exclusive avatar or some small physical gift in the mail.

This isn't that hard Sony.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The issue with adding all of these "extras" to PlayStation Now is that you would have to greatly increase the cost of the service

They might be able to introduce another tier with more features at a higher price, but I'd like for them to also keep the existing PS Now as it exists. They shouldn't add EA Play or Ubisoft+ or anime streaming channels and then force existing PS Now users to pay considerably more for content that they don't want.
PS Now is cheaper than GP. But if they bump up PS Now to match GP's price with a premium tier, GP has EA Play, Day One games and downloadable games. So Sony can do it too.

The trade off would be PS with way more legacy games available + anime sub vs. Xbox GP with more recent third party games.

Sw0pDiller

Isn't the psplus collection already a better deal than gamepass will ever be? I mean god of war is on it. Full stop.

With psplus and the collection I already have more big aaa games to play on my ps5 than gamepass has on any xbox. And plus is just 60 euro a year. That quit the difference with 180 euro a year gamepass. No contest really

Agent X

PS Now is cheaper than GP. But if they bump up PS Now to match GP's price with a premium tier, GP has EA Play, Day One games and downloadable games. So Sony can do it too.

I agree that they can offer a premium tier, and probably should. But I don't feel that they have to exactly match what Microsoft is doing.

For example, I don't see much point of Sony rolling EA Play into PS Now. I know that's what Microsoft has done with Xbox Game Pass, but again, they were already charging a much higher fee for their service. PS Now is $60/year; EA Play is $30/year. Even as it stands right now, someone paying for a year of both services (separately) is still paying much less than the price of a year of Xbox Game Pass.

If Sony could include EA Play in PS Now for "free", without upping the cost, then sure, by all means do it. However, the economics in play don't show that to be feasible. Either EA would have to sacrifice some of their cut of subscription fees on Sony's altar, or EA wouldn't budge and Sony would be forced to eat that cost and/or raise the PS Now subscription fee.

I also don't believe they would give out all of their first-party games on Day One, nor do I believe that they should. They could probably stand to toss out a bone every now and then with a low-to-mid-tier game (say, something on the level of Concrete Genie, Gravity Rush, or MediEvil), but they're not going to give away everything. Microsoft made that commitment, knowing that Sony (and Nintendo) would not dare to match it, because the sacrifice would be too steep. They'd flush hundreds of millions of dollars down the toilet every year.

The flip side is that Microsoft hasn't demonstrated that they can crank out the big blockbusters (on the level of Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, The Last of Us, or Spider-Man) on a frequent, consistent basis. Until that time comes, don't ever expect Sony (or Nintendo) to make a similar commitment.

The trade off would be PS with way more legacy games available + anime sub vs. Xbox GP with more recent third party games.

I also don't see Sony merging an anime service into PS Now. There's not enough crossover for it to be worthwhile. Again, the only way they could get away with this is if it was "free" and there was no increase in the cost to consumers, but I think there are much better investments that Sony could make to improve the service.

Alright

Banned
What's the monthly cost for Microsoft to have Gamepass? If Sony is making more money with the Subscription service, but it would cost more to have a Gamepass on Playstation, why would they bother?

Looks like a bit more than a rumor. Zero interest in it personally and not something I would consider a counterpunch but I could see it be successful.

I hope they're still looking into a more robust PS+ or PS+ Premium though. They can leverage on that 47 million current subscribers. If Sony wants to push a movie, video, and anime service, I think they should separate it from their "gamer" strategy.

My premise is that gamers don't care about streaming while casuals don't care about hardware. So Sony should separate their streaming strategy to their game-counterpunch strategy.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This seems like an added benefit, not the "counterpunch". It has an end date (so it looks like an additional benefit for PS+ users for the next 12 months).

Top Bottom