• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe: Herman Hulst pushed for playstation's Japan Studios closure.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Could you comprehend large numbers? In the grand scheme of things, the number of zeros don't matter, it's all about relativity, when there is a bigger piece of pie, which is mobile, then, the other smaller pieces should do something to prevent it from getting bigger, otherwise, they'll just keep on shrinking.

No console or PC gamer should care about what's going on in the mobile gaming space. They are two totally separate things.

100% agree.
Is impressive how people keep saying this and this, but Japan Studio probably wasn't that expensive to maintain, in comparison with studios like ND with as leaked before, have unlimited budge from Sony for no reason.
And we have people joking over that silly Spider-man 2 selling more than Mario, when in reality Mario dev cost was tiny in comparison with Spider-Man 2 so little effort for Nintendo just to get profit, we have fanboys keep focus into sales numbers while with is most important the profit vs costs. Fanboys don't care about the cost of the production.

Even John from DF said similar things in his last DF Weekly, that those western studios are expensive just for keep them alive, mainly California.

edit: Here (time: 27:25)

"With a studio that size, with many staff members based on California, thats got to be insanely expensive"

Spider-Man 2 generated over 175 million dollars in revenue in ONE DAY...

The game will go on to sell millions. Not every franchise can be Mario.

Even the building in which Japan Studio was housed in let alone the people and equipment are expensive to upkeep.

Masterri

Hi Fi Rush added value for Xbox. So did Pentiment. Gravity Rush. Tearaway. Journey. Fat Princess. The Last Guardian. Everybody's Golf. More than that, but that's off the top of my head. Did they all make money? Nope. Did they add value? Did to me and others.
Are you quite literally insane?
Those game didn't make money!
They're not worth existing!
Sony should only focus on cinematic experiences with unskippable cutscenes and slow walking segments!

KWAB

Banned
Hi Fi Rush added value for Xbox. So did Pentiment. Gravity Rush. Tearaway. Journey. Fat Princess. The Last Guardian. Everybody's Golf. More than that, but that's off the top of my head. Did they all make money? Nope. Did they add value? Did to me and others.
There are dozens of us!
It can be okay to not be a huge commercial success if your game is really good. But from your list only Hi Fi Rush, Pentiment and Journey are really good.

Oof85

There are no smaller games anymore. It's indie or triple A.
Would you call Splatoon triple A?

From the start?

Nope, it was a concept they were confident in but that was because it was so novel.
You're crazy if you think it cost anywhere near what BOTW/ODYSSEY did.

It's ludicrous to me that people scream about indie or AAA when Nintendo is RIGHT THERE.

Or hell, take Hi-Fi Rush. Not a budget buster, just a novel game with a confident concept.

You can't just throw money at uninspired games and expect to see a return.

That's how you end up with a series like Horizon where the gloss is clear but not too much excitement or fervor upon reception.

Topher

Gold Member
There are dozens of us!
It can be okay to not be a huge commercial success if your game is really good. But from your list only Hi Fi Rush, Pentiment and Journey are really good.

Disagree. I enjoyed all those games.

Top Bottom