• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Milch (Deadwood,Luck) is getting a new pilot on HBO (Update: Not going forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
David Milch’s ‘The Money’ Gets HBO Pilot Greenlight With Brendan Gleeson As Star

Brendan Gleeson is set as the lead in The Money, David Milch‘s latest drama project for HBO. With Gleeson on board, it has received a formal pilot order.

Written by Milch, The Money is about wealth and corruption among the super elite, focusing on American mogul and patriarch James Castman (Gleeson), who wields power and influence to expand his media empire and control his family.

This would mark the veteran actor’s first U.S. TV series. For Milch, who has been under a deal at HBO for a decade, The Money marks his fifth pilot at the pay cable network. Three of the other four — Deadwood, John From Cincinnati and Luck — went to series.

Justin Chadwick (The Other Boleyn Girl) will direct the pilot.

Wasn't he supposed to be doing adaptations of William Faulkner stuff? I haven't heard anything about that for a while. Either way, I hope he actually gets more than one season this time. Still feel terrible for him after what happened with Luck.

Hazmat

I like his shows, but I don't know why HBO keeps giving Milch new shows. One got brutally axed, one was way too weird for its own good, and the other they let go really easily in the face of bad press.

They need some new stuff, but it just seems weird.

jtb

Banned
Never watched Luck. Should I? is there a decent amount of resolution at the end of the season?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
*Does math*

So two seasons of this? Don't believe their lies, run to Showtime! They're desperate and never cancel anything!

Never watched Luck. Should I? is there a decent amount of resolution at the end of the season?

Really good direction from Mann, some of the best use of music on tv because of it too

Dustin Hoffman and Dennis Farina (rip) became one of my favorite tv partnerships of all time. Shame it only lasted one season

Everybody should watch it. This show will be cancelled in two seasons

Really good direction from Mann, some of the best use of music on tv because of it too

Dustin Hoffman and Dennis Farina (rip) became one of my favorite tv partnerships of all time. Shame it only lasted one season

Everybody should watch it. This show will be cancelled in two seasons

Their scenes together were always something to look forward to.

Empty

Premise seems tired as fuck. How many more Wall Street stories do we need?

maybe i'm just having a brain freeze but i can't think of that much stuff about wall street, american pyscho (very different tonally i'd assume) and that oliver stone film is all that comes to mind.

though even so, milch made me care about two worlds i didn't think i had any interest in with luck and deadwood

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I like his shows, but I don't know why HBO keeps giving Milch new shows. One got brutally axed, one was way too weird for its own good, and the other they let go really easily in the face of bad press.

They need some new stuff, but it just seems weird.

Because they want to be in business with people like him. He's an incredible writer who is responsible for some of the best TV shows ever made. He brings a high level of prestige to the channel and his shows always have a very unique feel to them, which are two things that HBO finds highly desirable.

Hazmat

Because they want to be in business with people like him. He's an incredible writer who is responsible for some of the best TV shows ever made. He brings a high level of prestige to the channel and his shows always have a very unique feel to them, which are two things that HBO finds highly desirable.

I get that, but it probably would have been easier to keep making (or allow an ending for) one of the other three shows they gave him in the last decade.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I get that, but it probably would have been easier to keep making (or allow an ending for) one of the other three shows they gave him in the last decade.

Eh? All the sets for Deadwood have been destroyed and a lot of the cast are in other shows/movies now. Another season of Deadwood or even a movie would be pretty much impossible to do now.

John from Cincinnati has its fans, but it's much too niche to revive.

Luck was cancelled because of all the horse death hoopla, so HBO isn't going to touch that property again with a ten foot pole.

A new series is the only way forward at this point.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Glad to hear this was picked up. I was intrigued when it got mentioned a little while ago. I'll watch whatever Milch does. His work is always supremely engaging. Yes, even John from Cincinnati.

Premise seems tired as fuck. How many more Wall Street stories do we need?

I don't think this will be about Wall Street per se, just big media corporation and the family running it. I wonder if there won't be a touch of the Murdochs with this one.

I skipped on Luck because of the cancellation.
I'll follow this, though.

You should watch Luck. It's fantastic. It doesn't make for quite as a great a single season series as Terriers, but it ends well. No big cliffhangers or anything, just an awareness that these characters will move on to certain things.

Hazmat

Eh? All the sets for Deadwood have been destroyed and a lot of the cast are in other shows/movies now. Another season of Deadwood or even a movie would be pretty much impossible to do now.

John from Cincinnati has its fans, but it's much too niche to revive.

Luck was cancelled because of all the horse death hoopla, so HBO isn't going to touch that property again with a ten foot pole.

A new series is the only way forward at this point.

I never said they should revive one of the old shows. My only point, which you seem to take great issue with, is that it seems strange that HBO keeps wanting to be in the Milch business when they cancelled two of his shows after a season and the other on a massive cliffhanger after three.

Yes, I, like most fans of good TV, am happy they keep giving him shows. I'm just find it surprising.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I never said they should revive one of the old shows. My only point, which you seem to take great issue with, is that it seems strange that HBO keeps wanting to be in the Milch business when they cancelled two of his shows after a season and the other on a massive cliffhanger after three.

Yes, I, like most fans of good TV, am happy they keep giving him shows. I'm just find it surprising n

HBO likes to keep its talent. They did a number of less visible projects with James Gandolfini over the years, and a number of things that never got off the ground. Ultimately, they'd rather spend money trying to find the right project for someone than lose that talent and have them go elsewhere. Within reason, of course, and the talent's willingness to develop stuff for HBO.

They renewed Luck. It got canned because of issues with the horses and publicity, not because they didn't like the show or that it wasn't working for them. That was just an unfortunate business situation more than anything, so it wouldn't be a reason to cut their ties with Milch. The ratings misfire for John from Cincinnati obviously wasn't enough to stop them.

Just to be clear, it's only a pilot order right now. HBO might pass on the series.

I know. Last I heard the pilot wasn't greenlit, so I'm just glad for that much at the moment, especially since other HBO shows in the pipeline excite me a lot less, like The Leftovers (series order) or Open (pilot order).

harSon

Banned
I love Gleeson, but his American accent sucks from what I remember.

I'm kind of sick of British, Irish, Austrailian, etc. actors playing Americans in what seems to be an infinitely increasing frequency. I love many of the actors who assume these roles, but the obvious fake accents are tiring and do a lot to take me out of the experience. Low Winter Sun for example. Despite being a remake of a British show, when I think of a show about Detroit PD, Lennie James and Mark Strong aren't exactly the first people to come to mind....

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I never said they should revive one of the old shows.

it probably would have been easier to keep making (or allow an ending for) one of the other three shows they gave him in the last decade.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you're saying that it would have been easier for HBO to continue (revive) one of the cancelled shows instead of making a new one with him? That doesn't make any sense.

My only point is that it seems strange that HBO keeps wanting to be in the Milch business when they cancelled two of his shows after a season and the other on a massive cliffhanger after three.

Again, because they bring prestige and uniqueness to the channel. Those things matter to HBO almost as much as ratings do, and due to the successes of Game of Thrones and True Blood, they're able to pursue riskier, more prestigious, less commercially viable programs.

Also, his first two shows were cancelled by the old guard at HBO, and while I'm sure they regret cancelling Deadwood when they did, it did last for three seasons. John from Cincinnati was a failure, but Luck, of course, was cancelled due to outstanding circumstances. (it was even filming the second episode of season 2, so it's not like HBO cancelled it due to ratings or whatever)

HBO shouldn't kick Milch to the curb just because some of his shows were cancelled prematurely.

Decado

Is it a contemporary drama? Not really that interested in more of those, and I didn't really care for Luck or John from Cincinnati. Only want more Milch if it has an interesting setting.

Deadwood was incredible, and would probably be my favourite series had they finished it.

Hazmat

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you're saying that it would have been easier for HBO to continue (revive) one of the cancelled shows instead of making a new one with him? That doesn't make any sense.

Again, because they bring prestige and uniqueness to the channel. Those things matter to HBO almost as much as ratings do, and due to the successes of Game of Thrones and True Blood, they're able to pursue riskier, more prestigious, less commercially viable programs.

Also, his first two shows were cancelled by the old guard at HBO, and while I'm sure they regret cancelling Deadwood when they did, it did last for three seasons. John from Cincinnati was a failure, but Luck, of course, was cancelled due to outstanding circumstances. (it was even filming the second episode of season 2, so it's not like HBO cancelled it due to ratings or whatever)

HBO shouldn't kick Milch to the curb just because some of his shows were cancelled prematurely.

I meant that if HBO wanted to be in the Milch business it would have been better to give one of his old shows the benefit of the doubt instead of canceling them. I'm not saying they were terrible or that this is a dumb choice, it just surprised me, so stop trying to tell me how wrong I am.

It's really a shame that Luck was such a production nightmare. It wasn't at Deadwood level but it was still great television. This will hopefully be small-scale (read: inexpensive) enough to keep going even as a niche show.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I meant that if HBO wanted to be in the Milch business it would have been better to give one of his old shows the benefit of the doubt instead of canceling them.

Ah, I see. Well, hindsight is 20/20, and I'm sure HBO wishes that they'd given one of this old shows the benefit of the doubt as well.

stop trying to tell me how wrong I am.

Is that what was happening? I thought we were having a discussion on a discussion forum. Hm.

Hazmat

Ah, I see. Well, hindsight is 20/20, and I'm sure HBO wishes that they'd given one of this old shows the benefit of the doubt as well.

Is that what was happening? I thought we were having a discussion on a discussion forum. Hm.

I apologize for getting defensive. I was surprised that HBO wants to quadruple-down on David Milch, and it felt like you needed to keep telling me that this was a dumb thing to be surprised by. Maybe it's in my head.

Speevy

Banned
You forgot John from Cincinatti in the title.

He may want to forget it, but I never will.

Also, why no NYPD Blue?

Solo

Ok fine, second best thing. Ed O'Neill rounds out the top three.

Man, I REALLY wish Luck hadn't been cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom