• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Milch (Deadwood,Luck) is getting a new pilot on HBO (Update: Not going forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonm1010

Banned
Milch just can't catch a break.

For all the talk of HBO wanting to foster talent to build their brand they have done an absolute pisspoor job with one of the most talented writers to ever be in the medium.

His only real dud was John from Cincinnati. Deadwood and Luck were both top tier shows. Deadwood being an all time great. And the premise here could of been very interesting with Milch's take.

I wonder what ever happened to the Faulkner projects he was gonna work on?

I just want to finally get a full Milch show on HBO(or another premium network) before he retires. Maybe showtime or starz will pick him up.

Jonm1010

Banned
HBO passed on his William Faulkner adaptation in favor of The Money. David Milch must feel great right now.
WOW!

I have no words.

The guy is a friggin genius and I feel like his entire career at this point has been butchered by HBO. For all the things I love about HBO after they recovered from their dark days during the Deadwood/Rome/Carnivale cancellation era they keep twisting the knife into this guy.

At this point id tell HBO to fuck off and take my current and future ideas to netflix/showtime/starz/amazon or even AMC.

The plot sounds like another retread of multiple tropes, I can see why HBO passed. That being said, they need to find a premier worthy show soon. Right now their future looks like Game Of Thrones and small comedies. I'm not going to hate on GoT or play the "bitter reader of the books" role but...the show isn't great, or as good as it could be. True Detective is stunning but it's a miniseries with a revolving cast - they need another Wire or Sopranos type show.

Milch: it's 2014, HBO isn't the only girl at the dance. Netflix.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I have this (perhaps irrational) feeling that JFC was the reason Deadwood was not renewed. HBO saw a quarter of the cost show with what they thought might be the same appeal and figured they could transfer the viewers over by canceling Deadwood.

I'm not sure I can ever forgive this (possibly completely fictional) injustice given how incredible Deadwood was and how horrible JFC was. My best wishes to Milch in the future anyway, he is a great writer and an incredibly smart guy.

HBO's regular season lineup seems pretty sparse this year.. I hope they have something great in the pipe if they're passing on Milch.

Frost_Ace

I have this (perhaps irrational) feeling that JFC was the reason Deadwood was not renewed. HBO saw a quarter of the cost show with what they thought might be the same appeal and figured they could transfer the viewers over by canceling Deadwood.

I'm not sure I can ever forgive this (possibly completely fictional) injustice given how incredible Deadwood was and how horrible JFC was. My best wishes to Milch in the future anyway, he is a great writer and an incredibly smart guy.

HBO's regular season lineup seems pretty sparse this year.. I hope they have something great in the pipe if they're passing on Milch.
I thought Rome was the reason they cancelled Deadwood.

Anyway this sucks :(

Jonm1010

Banned
I think his studio does have some sort of deal worked out.
Well that's sad(any confirmation around of this or is it mostly suspicion from places?). The guy deserves a lot better and at this point any exclusive deal he penned that he thought gave him security and trust has been outweighed by HBO killing all his projects and having nowhere to turn to as a consolation thus destroying the creative ideas he has dead if he can't take them elsewhere.

Jonm1010

Banned
I thought Rome was the reason they cancelled Deadwood.

Anyway this sucks :(
Deadwood, Rome and Carnivale were the victims of hbos old and shoe sighted(and thankfully short lived) business model.

After Sopranos they greenlit a bunch of high production/ high cost shows and then abandoned them in favor of a low cost model built around sex and the city, sopranos and entourage.

They did so because they were only basing shows on first run views and not taking into account the sort of things they do now. Things like DVD sales, on-demand viewings, second run viewings, subscription increases, awards and how they translate to goodwill and subscription purchases, overseas markets, they need to let some shows grow their audience over multiple seasons etc. they later admitted to the error - at least with Rome - and have since been a lot more supportive with shows they green light. GoT was even said to be an attempt to rectify their error with canceling Rome prematurely.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ugh.

I think he might have an exclusive development deal with HBO.

In November 2011 his production company signed an exclusive multi-year deal with HBO. Exact timeframe is unclear.

Sort of. A lot of different things have been said, but I think the common theme is that HBO and Milch couldn't come to terms on how both shows could exist at once.

It's not that sparse really.

Coming up:

Game of Thrones
Veep
Silicon Valley
True Blood
The Newsroom
Togetherness
Boardwalk Empire
The Leftovers
Getting On
(+ newcomer Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and all HBO's other non-narrative programs)

Deadwood, Rome and Carnivale were the victims of hbos old and shoe sighted(and thankfully short lived) business model.

Eh, I wouldn't include Rome. That show was super fucking expensive, the co-production deals were in question going forward, and it wasn't drawing particularly large audiences. Some at HBO like to say they wish they'd found a way to keep going, but I think that show was facing a stark reality. I think even with HBO's current outlook, that might have been tough for them.

Dennis

Banned
I loved Deadwood and Luck but I find it hard to care anymore.

Whatever he makes will just get cancelled half way through the story.

I think the best thing would be if he was able to do a mini-series at HBO. Anything bigger is just going to have worries about ratings hanging over it. It still amazes me how little buzz Luck got, even with Hoffman and Mann on board.

Blader

I think this "They're really twisting the knife" is a little overblown. Deadwood's cancellation was a mistake, according to HBO, and one they tried to rectify by offering Milch the opportunity to write four Deadwood TV movies - which he passed on. And Luck was cancelled because they had horses dropping dead left and right, not because they're trying to screw Milch.

I think this "They're really twisting the knife" is a little overblown. Deadwood's cancellation was a mistake, according to HBO, and one they tried to rectify by offering Milch the opportunity to write four Deadwood TV movies - which he passed on. And Luck was cancelled because they had horses dropping dead left and right, not because they're trying to screw Milch.

Exactly.

Also Milch knows how the game is played, he's probably already got his next project in the works. Folks like that don't sit around mourning what might have been. That's what fans do.

Jonm1010

Banned
Ugh.

In November 2011 his production company signed an exclusive multi-year deal with HBO. Exact timeframe is unclear.

Sort of. A lot of different things have been said, but I think the common theme is that HBO and Milch couldn't come to terms on how both shows could exist at once.

It's not that sparse really.

Coming up:

Game of Thrones
Veep
Silicon Valley
True Blood
The Newsroom
Togetherness
Boardwalk Empire
The Leftovers
Getting On
(+ newcomer Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and all HBO's other non-narrative programs)

Eh, I wouldn't include Rome. That show was super fucking expensive, the co-production deals were in question going forward, and it wasn't drawing particularly large audiences. Some at HBO like to say they wish they'd found a way to keep going, but I think that show was facing a stark reality. I think even with HBO's current outlook, that might have been tough for them.

Hbo execs have publicly stated that they misfired on cancellong Rome so early. That they didn't look at DVD sales and have the same metrics they do now when assessing tv shows and that caused a premature assessment of Rome.

Luck was an unfortunate and understandable cancellation and JFC was crap but everything else has been on HBO exclusively.

The deadwood movies were never finalized by HBO and in retrospect it comes off like it was a goodwill gesture HBO never put much effort into and maybe never really wanted too.

You now have 6(7 if you separate out the deadwood movies) projects milch has seen HBO destroy: deadwood, JFC, the last of the ninth, Luck, William Faulkner films, The Money. With the exclusive agreement he apparently has that means those ideas have no chance of going elsewhere.

The guy isn't exactly the youngest in the game, He's nearing 70 and it's not like creating a pilot from a new idea he first has to conceive just happens over night. We're likely looking at another 1-2 years minimum before an idea is greenlit and a pilot commissioned and it can be cast and filmed and another year or more before production of a season could wrap up.

At this point the game HBO is playing with him is holding his ideas hostage and not funding any of them. Sounds like a raw deal however you spin it.

Blader

Luck was an unfortunate and understandable cancellation and JFC was crap but everything else has been on HBO exclusively.

The deadwood movies were never finalized by HBO and in retrospect it comes off like it was a goodwill gesture HBO never put much effort into and maybe never really wanted too.

You now have 6(7 if you separate out the deadwood movies) projects milch has seen HBO destroy: deadwood, JFC, the last of the ninth, Luck, William Faulkner films, The Money. With the exclusive agreement he apparently has that means those ideas have no chance of going elsewhere.

The guy isn't exactly the youngest in the game, He's nearing 70 and it's not like creating a pilot from a new idea he first has to conceive just happens over night. We're likely looking at another 1-2 years minimum before an idea is greenlit and a pilot commissioned and it can be cast and filmed and another year or more before production of a season could wrap up.

At this point the game HBO is playing with him is holding his ideas hostage and not funding any of them. Sounds like a raw deal however you spin it.

The idea that HBO is intentionally toying with Milch or holding him hostage to ensure that his writing never ends up on TV again is so absurd, to say the least.

Jonm1010

Banned
The idea that HBO is intentionally toying with Milch or holding him hostage to ensure that his writing never ends up on TV again is so absurd, to say the least.

Im not saying its intentional in the conspiratorial sense, Im saying that killing his ideas is whats happening and that because he is locked into HBO he is stuck and unable to do much of anything with his big ideas. Playing with him was the wrong way to frame it, screwing him over is the better way to say it.

Thats just the reality of what has happened.

If HBO was going to be so dismissive of his ideas and keep stringing him along and then telling him "no" at the end of each journey they really should of never agreed to the deal even if Milch originally wanted it.

Vulture Festival: David Milch Talks New Boss Tweed Show

At this weekend's inaugural Vulture Festival, David Milch sat in conversation with our TV critic Matt Zoller Seitz. Over the 90-minute discussion, Milch talked about his Emmy-winning work on Hill Street Blues and NYPD Blue as well as his years as showrunner on HBO's Deadwood. Milch also discussed at length, for the first time, a new dramatic work he is writing for HBO — "I'm working on a bunch of shows ... But this one that I've brought a sample of is about Boss Tweed, who was a political figure in the late 19th century, ran Tammany Hall here in New York City, and was a thief of prodigious dimension. He was also very fat." Milch then read a chunk of script, starting with a very Milchian moment of Tweed in jail, writing a letter:

"I'm an old man, broken in health and cast down in spirit. As to the charges standing against me, through unpublished statements, I've received some assurance that the vindication of principle and purifying of the public service are purposes you would have me serve. Recognizing further resistance as a futility, offering unqualified surrender and supplicating mercy, I herewith submit my testimony.

Not sure if the whole interview is available to watch somewhere or what, but i'd love to check it out

thekad

Banned
Vulture Festival: David Milch Talks New Boss Tweed Show

Not sure if the whole interview is available to watch somewhere or what, but i'd love to check it out

johngoodman.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
Deadwood was great but Luck was not. I know they supposedly canceled Luck because of all the horses dying, but I sometimes wonder if they pulled the plug because they just knew it wasn't very good.

I'd still love to check out any show that this guy is involved in, but it's a shame to see Luck getting any praise.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Deadwood was great but Luck was not. I know they supposedly canceled Luck because of all the horses dying, but I sometimes wonder if they pulled the plug because they just knew it wasn't very good.

I'd still love to check out any show that this guy is involved in, but it's a shame to see Luck getting any praise.

Luck was fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom