• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day Care Gets Racist Letter Demanding They Fire Black Employee For Being Too Dark

nel e nel

I had a friend claim dogs hate black people because they're scared of people with black skin and bark incessantly at them. They were trying to prove that racism is inherent.

I'm hoping that he was just trying to troll me (my friends know I'm the only person who cares about stuff like that), but I still was like wtf.

I got news for you, if your friend was trolling you for caring about racism, they are probably kinda shitty at the least, and racist at the worst.

EDIT: as pointed out above, dogs aren't racist, their owners are.

iammeiam

(context: he had said the whole "dogs don't like black people," I had responded, and as part of my response told him that black people own dogs so I was pretty sure dogs, in fact, are not racist and do not have a problem with black people.)

Sadly, he's not the first person I've heard this stuff from.

So yeah hopefully he was just being a devil's advocate and attempting to troll me because he thought he was in a safe space to do it.

'Racist' dogs aren't super uncommon, but it's generally because they were poorly socialized when young or had a specific traumatic experience they've associated with particular character traits. Dogs in general tend to fear/react poorly to the unfamiliar or latch on to singular bad experiences from their youth or pick up on the owner's general vibe. Dogs are 'racist' in the same way dogs are terrified of linoleum or dogs hate women or hate beards--if something is new, they will often react with fear or in self-defense. If they jump to 'X is unfamiliar and scary', and then bark/lunge, and then X goes away, the dog views barking/lunging at X as a success. There's no innate thing that makes dogs dislike races in particular, but dogs can behave in a way consistent with racism if they aren't properly socialized.

I could see people not really thinking about anything and just running with "dogs hate black people", but these people are kind of dumb and raising their dogs poorly.

nel e nel

I think it's possible some people live in a bubble and don't think about the harmful effects of what they are saying when it doesn't affect them. My friend was, I think, trying to get a reaction out of me and that was their only concern. They don't care about hypothetical black people because they don't know any.

I think lots of people have this same attitude- they don't care about things that don't personally affect them. Internet trolling has turned into real life trolling, which makes shitty people like the people who wrote the letter think it's okay to do so because others are doing it. Except other people were just trolling for reactions and would be horrified if they saw this kind of letter writing. But those other people don't realize what they've normalized.

I wish I knew what the solution was but I honestly have no clue what we can do, as individuals, to rectify this.

I agree that it's a question of experience and exposure, but lots of people live in bubbles and don't unnecessarily troll like that. Not caring about things that don't affect you is a classic example of privilege. Pro lifers don't know all the unborn babies but that doesn't stop them from protesting Planned Parenthood and organizing politically on a national level. Excusing this kind of "benign" behavior is a major component of enabling it to continue.

What can we do as individuals? How about not tolerating this kind of bullshit. Your friend is trolling you for caring about racism, why are you making excuses for them?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
instead of posting the letter on the internet, they should have tossed it in the garbage and ignore the entire ordeal.

If only they wouldnt react when people use the N word it wouldnt hold so much power etc. Essentially the same argument. Some people think we live in a post racial society simply because society has put on blinders to it.

instead of posting the letter on the internet, they should have tossed it in the garbage and ignore the entire ordeal.

I completely agree. We should have ignored all of this. That is exactly how we solve this problem. Racism and deplorable people dont exist if I ignore them. That is how I get by living with one of the worst presidents in recent history supported by a party of monsters in Congress and worse human beings (if you can call them that) in the populace who send such fucking letters to a daycare because they are racist ignorant fucks emboldened by a racist moron of a president and people who say "give him a chance" or "try to understand them" or "they should have tossed it in the garbage and ignore the entire ordeal."

rjinaz

Well for one, I think this worker had a right to know somebody said this about her. And once they told her it was likely to get out anyway because who would keep this nastiness said about them to themselves?

I mean, I'm sure that there are people in companies that make that exact decision everyday. But what happens is, racism is ignored. People can say "racism is OVER!" when people prefer to just pretend it doesn't happen because order over justice is more convenient to them. This kind of stuff needs to be on display if we ever expect any kind of change.

thats what I would have done anyway :(

but I am a naive idiot sometimes. Sorry if I offended anyone

It's not that I'm offended it's just that sticking our head in the sand with this shit doesn't stop it. These fucks will keep it going with more and more aggression until they get your attention.

They're like roaches. You can brush them off and ignore them but it's just gonna be harder to deal with them later.

watershed

Banned

Is this seriously what you would do if you were a business owner and one of your own employees was targeted like this? Are you a terrible boss or just a terrible human being?

Acerac

Banned
Is this seriously what you would do if you were a business owner and one of your own employees was targeted like this? Are you a terrible boss or just a terrible human being?

Most people choose the path of least resistance even if it causes problems for everyone around them.

It's frustrating, but that's humanity for you.

watershed

Banned
Most people choose the path of least resistance even if it causes problems for everyone around them.

It's frustrating, but that's humanity for you.

In this case the business owner responded the right way. Notify police, notify the public via social media including parents who send their kids to the day care, notify all employees and take protective measures, and notify and support the employee who was the target of this letter.

Acerac

Banned
In this case the business owner responded the right way. Notify police, notify the public via social media including parents who send their kids to the day care, notify all employees and take protective measures, and notify and support the employee who was the target of this letter.

It's great when people do the right thing even when it is more difficult for them. While I wish it was more common, I do have to appreciate those who are willing to make the effort.

Dehnus

And what if the letters start appearing at the poor woman's home? As that is what is next. This is one or two racist arseholes, that just ruined the whole daycares' atmosphere just to get what they wanted. Thus poor woman and her coworkers simply won't feel comfortable around these parents again. They don't know who wrote it, so it becomes a really nasty atmosphere that this parent or parents created.

Not ignoring it was better, as then the woman will not feel as alone when the letters start being send to her home instead. And yes it is a question of when not if.

Zolo

This is like the letter version of a racist troll post.

Also gonna take a wild guess 'most' is one person.

Top Bottom