• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daylight |OT| (PS4/PC) Not Dying Light

Cudder

daylight_logo_white.png

Release Date: April 29, 2014
Platforms: PS4 and PC
Genre: Survival Horror
Developer: Zombie Studios
Publisher: Zombie Studios (PC), Atlus (PS4)
Engine: The first game to be powered by Unreal Engine 4.
Price: Originally scheduled to be released April 8, the game will launch two weeks later on PS4 for $11.99 or $9.99 for PlayStation Plus subscribers. That offer will be good for two weeks. Daylight is also available for pre-order on Steam for $9.99, where those who pre-purchase it will also receive the soundtrack. Daylight's price will increase to $14.99 on all platforms when the promotional periods end.
3D compatible: Yes

About Daylight:

Daylight is a first-person survival horror game that challenges your very grasp on reality. The areas of Mid Island will never be the same twice, so being aware of your surroundings in the maze of corridors is the key to staying alive. Fortunately, you have a few tools at your disposal… First, in addition to being your trusty light source, your cellphone also acts as a mini-map, marking the areas you've explored as well as key locations you come across. You will also find two additional sources of light: flares, which cast a flickering protective glare and can keep evil spirits at bay, and glowsticks, which can reveal hidden secrets.

As players explore these mazes, their progress will be impeded by doors sealed with runes. In order to open them, you must find a cursed relic from the island’s shadowy past, but it will only appear once you have uncovered enough scraps of paper: forgotten memories scattered around the passageways.

But this isn't just a simple exploration game. Mid Island is crawling with souls thirsting for revenge. As you traverse the hospital, prison, and more, your threat level builds, making your presence known to the island’s residents. Can you unlock the mysteries of the past and survive until Daylight…?

Interesting Tidbit:

This is a very cool feature that we’re super stoked about. It’s no secret that Daylight is extremely friendly for the PS4’s “Share” button. The tinkerers at Zombie Studios found a way to use Twitch chat to cue in-game events. The example we’ve been tossing around (and is in no way final) is that someone watching a stream types the word “Meow” into the chat, which causes the game to make a corresponding sound of a cat. So yes. You can literally scare your friends now by watching the stream. There are two caveats to this:

1) They’re all on timers, so you can’t spam them. That would be ridiculous.
2) We’re not going to tell you the list of words. You’re going to have to find them through experimentation.

Screens:

Videos:

E3 2013 Trailer
PS4 Trailer
Trailer #2

Enjoy!

I'm really interested to see the procedural level design in action, hope it works as they've been claiming it will.

Any word on the UK price?

GeoramA

For $9.99, seems like an easy purchase. Dunno when I'll get around to it with Child of Light hitting the same day.

Nemesis_

Anyone heard anything about the 3D? I would love to make this my first proper 3D game. The PS4 has the power to properly render it while doing 3D too, so I'd be keen to see how it's turned out.

Also read a thing that said Jess Chobot wrote this, is it true?

I'm really interested to see the procedural level design in action, hope it works as they've been claiming it will.

From what I've read, the way it's designed is kind of modular so it works really well - there are parts that are randomised but they are withing their own section. So there's level variety but the procedurally generated stuff doesn't get old either.

Those twitch features seem neat, still not entirely convinced that the game's switching works but I'm mostly interested in it being the first Unreal Engine 4 game. Doesn't really look that great though, how are the options in the PC version?

From what I've read, the way it's designed is kind of modular so it works really well - there are parts that are randomised but they are withing their own section. So there's level variety but the procedurally generated stuff doesn't get old either.

That does sound very cool. Now I just need to find out how much it'll be over here. Hoping for £7.99 with plus discount.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
it seems that there are some issues on PC version, no FOV slider and for for controller people the game have controller support but at the UI you'll need to use a mouse. but maybe they'll fix it with a patch or before release.

and while it's under Nvidia's "how it's meant to be played" label the game only use HBAO+ and no other Nvidia tech. this is very lucklaster to say the least.

Also these new western horror games are getting very very similar to each other.

Nemesis_

That does sound very cool. Now I just need to find out how much it'll be over here. Hoping for £7.99 with plus discount.

Yeah. From what I understand they basically throw the player into an area. Let's just say it's the PHARMACY area of the Asylum for example. The player has to search this area for a "Sigil" - and the rooms in this level are procedurally generated to fit the theme. The sigial is an item with some kind of significance / relevance / emotional weight to the location. Once the player gets the sigil, the story is advanced and the player might be able to move on from the Pharmacy to...umm..something like the Psychiatric Ward. And the process repeats.

It's the best way to do procedurally generated stuff for sure, if I am understanding it correctly that is. I remember the last game that was generated like this were the Coded Arms games and they were pretty boring ._.

Zombie Studios don't have an illustrious pedigree either - though I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

SJRB

Gold Member
Lirik from Twitch was playing this a couple of days ago with Twitch chat commands enabled. It was pretty amazing to see how commands in chat resulted in stuff happening in the game.

However, it pretty much boils down to audio [screaming, footsteps, stuff like that] which gets pretty annoying quite fast because the cooldown is very low, and the Twitch chat itself devolves in a rollercoaster of command spam.

The procedural generation of the map was not very impressive, as far as I could tell. it's just long hallways with slight adjustments. Perhaps there's more to it than this.

All in all a pretty incredible concept because of the Twitch integration.

Ashtar

From listening to Joystiq podcast and watching some video on IGN, game doesn't seem very good. Might have been better to just have some set levels so that they could better engineer the scares.
As it is seems like the map system kind of sucks (can't tell locked door from wall) and that the writing is pretty bad.

Will be interesting to see how this does with more mainstream people. Outlast was downloaded a ton and dominated the streaming for a few weeks.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
For 10€ I think I will buy it, but most of the gameplay we have seen yet didnt looked that good.

Would rather spend the money on the Outlast DLC, but it seems, that this wont come this month anyome...

Is it 3D compatable on PS4, as well as PC?

Edit: Ahh I read an article that says it is.

That might be worth giving this a shot.

I kept getting confused between Outlast, this and Dying Light, all 3 horror games.

Will be interesting to see how this does with more mainstream people. Outlast was downloaded a ton and dominated the streaming for a few weeks.

It was also free, wish this was next month's IGC. :(

I wouldn't say Dying Light is a horror game, it has zombies in it but that's it.

The confusion with Outlast i definitely can see it.

Yeah I meant to say that, the confusion with Dying Light was with its name.

Good OT title, coz I mix them up everytime they are mentioned. I actually had to check in to see which one of the two this OT was for.

:/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I'd guess £8 if you have PS+ or £9.50 if you don't. The early bird prices in the OP are 33%/20% off the final price (depending on whether or not PS+ is a factor) and so you can look to Steam to find a probable answer: £12 - 33% = £8 and £12 - 20% = £9.60 (reduced a little further to £9.50 for the sake of a "standard" price).

Top Bottom