• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daylight |OT| (PS4/PC) Not Dying Light

Steam playtime is 3 hours for me but I spent a chunk of that afk. Average playtime seems to be 2 hours to 1.5 hours, one person claimed that by holding down the run key they were able to beat the whole thing in 35 minutes.

Not to mention the majorty of your time is spent reading notes. Seriously.

Ok, thanks.
The interior environments also looked repetitive, which would pull me out of the game (unless I'm in some alternate reality in the game?)
I think the Outlast DLC sounds like it would have more scares for the buck.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Ok, thanks.
The interior environments also looked repetitive, which would pull me out of the game (unless I'm in some alternate reality in the game?)
I think the Outlast DLC sounds like it would have more scares for the buck.

The environments are very repetitive since it is pulling from a limited pool of rooms per area to construct what you'll be running around in. It becomes all too obvious within minutes.

Outlast, for all of its faults, is a way better investment. Can't say for the DLC yet.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
How's Jessica Chobot's writing?

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned... and you've scorned them all"

"Ah my dear, wherever you go - there you are"

"Four hundred years of rage, Sarah. FOUR HUNDRED YEARS OF RAGE."

"And your blood is thicker than water"

"Life is like a butterfly's dream"

Actual quotes from the game

I wish I was kidding.

SJRB

Gold Member
"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned... and you've scorned them all"

"Ah my dear, wherever you go - there you are"

"Four hundred years of rage, Sarah. FOUR HUNDRED YEARS OF RAGE."

"And your blood is thicker than water"

"Life is like a butterfly's dream"

Actual quotes from the game

I wish I was kidding.

"Given time, one can conceive the inconceivable"

The guy on the phone is like a Pez-dispenser of nonsensical quotes.

Samus4145

Yes, you can hold run and beat the game really quickly, but why would anyone do that? Do you want to have a shitty experience on purpose?

MrBS

Picked this up for PS4 UE4 tech demo purposes (lol). I look forward to regretting this purchase later tonight.

I'm watching a stream of a blind playthrough right now and.. nothing is happening? 30 minutes in it's extremely boring. Chat commands don't seem to do anything. The only thing that seems to work is "scream" which... makes a screaming noise.

My experience so far:

I can't even get past the first door. Takes several minutes to load the game up, then I get to the doorway with the glowsticks, the game chutters and halts with a loading indicator in the corner, only allowing me to move every few seconds. Then a loading circle appears in the center, pausing the game entirely. I wait several minute and then I can't even force quit, and I need to shut down and restart my computer to escape.

Then I try again after restarting, I get a couple frames of animation but to sound. I don't even get to move this time before it freezes. At least i could force quit this time.

Oh and I'm not a fan of the chromaic abberation, but I'd probably get used to it if could actually play it.

Ok got past those technical hiccups. I admit, the ghost got to me, and i will be worrying about if I have a flare or not.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Time to break it down:

daylightheader.jpg

Just to save you some time.

From the get-go we are tossed onto our asses into an asylum with only a cell phone and a cheap Malcolm McDowell imitator barking nonsense over the speaker. However he contacts us is beyond understanding as the phone never rings nor does the protagonist Sarah ever do anything with her phone to invite his squawking. He just spouts out grade-school philosophy such as “Life is but a butterfly’s dream,” and “Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned… and you’ve scorned them all.” With @John_Henry_Eden_ebooks as our good company, we stumble around in the dark hallways (using useless glowsticks and flares) of which you will see the same of many times. One of Daylight’s big selling points is that it is randomly generated as you play so you can never have the same play experience twice. Well that doesn’t help when every single room you use as an asset looks exactly like the others, does it?

The goal of every area you visit is to collect 6 “remnants”, which is an absurdly vague way of saying “Find 6 pieces of paper with a red rune on them, some of which will be hidden in boxes on the walls and in desks”. Once you’ve stuffed enough Macguffins into your jacket, Ol’ Phoney pipes up mentioning that the “Sigil” has been revealed. While that sounds like something deep and meaningful, all it really turns out to be is a pair of surgical scissors or a porcelain doll floating in a room covered in glowing writing that you most likely already found before you had all six remnants. In taking the Sigil, you become defenseless as you are no longer able to whip out any flares or glowsticks to protect yourself.

daylight2.jpg

…oh, right. I forgot something. The ghost. From the outset you’re being pursued by an apparition that appears out of the blue with little rhyme or reason. My first encounter with it was as follows: I heard a banshee cry out from behind me as I was in mid-turn. My cell phone minimap was beginning to distort with random artifacts and glyphs. I stopped moving and waited for a moment, noticing that I could see what appeared to be the leg of the creature standing there just to my right. I contemplated for a moment what may happen should I continue to turn. All the while it persisted on making weird hissy noises. And then, almost as quickly as it came, the creature disappeared. It felt like one of those hilariously bad special effects sequences in old low budget films where they paused recording while the person or object was moved off camera while everyone else held still before continuing to record to give the illusion that they had vanished in an instant.

You see, Daylight has a lot of problems. It fails to be truly engaging to the player at any point. All plot exposition is taken care of via the notes and remnants (there are two colors of seal on the paper to designate the difference!) which you can skip most of and most likely will because it is all drivel. There’s no reason to connect with the disembodied voice of someone trying to do their best 60 year old Alex DeLarge impression who waxes poetic about as well as a toddler could explain to you what the hell a quasar is. Sarah, our rather grim protagonist, often yelps at the sound of her own foot brushing against a sheet and reminds us that she “Can’t fucking see a damn thing” when you’re in a nearly fully lit room. There’s little connection at all between what happens in the game world and Sarah’s reactions. I can’t begin to tell you how many times she outburst with angry quips about knowing someone is there in the two hours I spent with the game.

daylight3.jpg

Any tension is completely ruined by the fact that none of the game’s systems work to support each other. Sarah can sprint indefinitely, which makes the ghost a trivial occurrence in the event that it manages to even spawn. Resource management is merely an afterthought thanks to being given free flares and glowsticks in almost every other room. And if you manage to fill up too much on either, finding one in a container causes you to just completely discard it. I’m pretty sure no human alive is going to just throw out a precious glowstick before finding at least one extra pocket to cram it into. The ghost itself can be almost completely ignored by never turning around to face it and just waiting for it to despawn mere seconds later. I only ever died once in my entire run by backing into the ghost and having it materialize on top of me, ending me instantly. Even when I bothered looking at it, just for the sake of science, it appeared to just be a person with ketchup smeared over their eyes.

It’s a shame that Unreal Engine 4 gets such a pitiful introduction into the world. The game does not look nearly as demanding as it claims to be and none of the setpieces are visually interesting or even memorable. Between the campy dialog, shoddy notes and head-shake inducing comments in the UI message area claiming “They will come to haunt you”, every bit of the writing is downright amateurish and is something to be ashamed of. The sound design does not fully register with what you see on screen. Nothing is connected and nothing matters. There’s no consequence for doing anything in Daylight’s world. The in-game Twitch streaming support tells me more about what was on the developers’ minds than anything else in the game. They were banking on the braindead simple stream avenue to perpetuate the game with its enticing look and promise of replayability via randomization.

What they forgot to do was make a game worth playing, watching or thinking about.

Yeah it's pretty much one of those free horror games or mods that PewDiePie or Markiplier play, with somewhat better production values. Only some of those were a lot scarier and creative. And, free.

I should be more fair though, I haven't completed it yet. Got to another room that chugged the game to a halt. That forest area looks cool.

Cudder

Just started playing it 10 minutes ago, and this game has simply the worst frame rate I've seen in a long time.

Just started playing it 10 minutes ago, and this game has simply the worst frame rate I've seen in a long time.

Yep. Thought we could get a refund with 30 minutes or so but I guess once you play that's it. It's truly an awful, awful game. Can't even be bothered reading the pamphlets that are too small anyway.

Cudder

just beat the game.

hahahahahahah, this game is complete dogshit, in every way.

the review above outlined things pretty well, I'm just here to throw wood on the fire with some funny facts.

whenever the ghost appears and you look at it, you get that typical horror "sound" of seeing something scary, you know the one. thing is, if you look way/move so an object covers the ghost, then quickly make her come into view again, the sound plays AGAIN even though you know exactly where she is. every time. it is fucking hilarious. i was strafing behind walls then strafing back super quick and the sound played every time i saw the ghost.

your shoes squeak more than an NBA player's when he's on the court.

the game has 2 or 3 "scary" sound effects, max. they keep repeating throughout the whole game.

again, it bears repeating, the game has the worst framerate i've ever seen.

I died once, and i was greeted with a 2 minute fucking load to get to the last checkpoint i was at. 2...minutes.

trophies are completely broken. i got trophies for things I never did, and I didn't get trophies i should have gotten.

this game is complete amateur hour, stay far away.

ScribbleD

I'd love to join all of you, but I'm stuck in error 37...sorry, DX11 Error Hell. I fucking love when I spend money and carve out free time for broken garbage that doesn't even launch. On the Steam forums they mention this is affecting a decent number of people, as in not outliers, and somehow this crippling bug never once came up during development? Come the fuck on.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
again, it bears repeating, the game has the worst framerate i've ever seen.

I've seen way worse in previous gens but it's really bad. The worst on PS4 maybe, even worse than Contrast.
And I think the heavy chromatic aberration was meant to hide the atrocious IQ. I'm not sure this game is even 1080p.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've seen way worse in previous gens but it's really bad. The worst on PS4 maybe, even worse than Contrast.
And I think the heavy chromatic aberration was meant to hide the atrocious IQ. I'm not sure this game is even 1080p.
So performance on PS4 is poor then? Thought they were aiming for 60 fps.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So performance on PS4 is poor then? Thought they were aiming for 60 fps.

Either the frame rate is really bad or their streaming causes the game to hitch like crazy. With a game this dark and muddy it's tough to be sure. (but the game has so few assets that it really has to be the frame rate)
Whichever it is, the performance reminds me of an N64 game a lot of the time.

Calabi

Either the frame rate is really bad or their streaming causes the game to hitch like crazy. With a game this dark and muddy it's tough to be sure. (but the game has so few assets that it really has to be the frame rate)
Whichever it is, the performance reminds me of an N64 game a lot of the time.

From the steam forums it appears its the VRAM usage, near 3GB with almost no way to reduce only lower the resolution. I dont want to lower the res, its already blurry enough. Thinking about it its the same hitch's I had playing Skyrim with too hight textures.

Glad I didn't waste any money on this...was a freebie with my new Nvidia 760:

SbJ.jpg

..and that's as far as I'm getting, and truthfully I really can't be bothered to try and fix it.

TbJ.jpg

Maybe if I read there's been a fix, I'll reinstall and try it, but until then I have better things to be doing with my time.

MrBS

Wow does this run like a dog on PS4. Especially coming back from menu. I wasn't aware that going back to menu could cause issues with games on PS4 but now I know better.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Daylight is everything wrong with western Horror games (Amnesia clones), it's a good "do not do" guide for developer who want to make a western horror games.

The game does absolutely nothing new to the formula of Amnesia and Slender, so if you played any or other free Slender like games you do not need to play thing since you already seen it all. They throw you without knowing anything and let you move from room to room to encounter jump scares and moving objects and read notes and avoid the same ghost over and over again, this is the entire game. it done multiple times already (and mostly free) since Amnesia and Slender. unlike Outlast and Amnesia where you need watch your surroundings and not just run like the Flash to avoid monsters here the ability to just run in the opposite direction and avoid the shadow ghost forever kill the tension and kill this game completely and turn it into just a notes collector simulation.

The story telling is also the bad, you'll need to read notes to clear the rooms(again something from Slender..really Zombie studio?), many of them to get the story or an idea what is going, this is just bad in any game ever. audio/text logs are bad way to tell your story, in video games if I need to read multiple nonsense crap to tell what is going on then. the dialogue is very generic (like "I know someone is in there") and very laughable in times. The girl mumbles got annoying really fast, this do not add to anything and do not make the game scary it just make it annoying.

for a very short game (3 hours something) it's crazy to see the developers copy and paste most of the rooms and corridors like this, many room are carbon copies and some have some object in different places this is pretty damn lazy. but that not all for an UE4 engine this game really fail to come close to the UE4 demo we've seen before in Lighting and other things, the water effect from the broken lavatory seems like from PS2 and table and chairs and crates are very low polygon with awful textures and look very ugly. the only good things graphical here were the Nvidia GameWorks effect like fogs and cloths.

Just avoid this game completely (it's also the time for western horror games and developer to move on from this same old boring tired formula)

CozMick

Banned
Played for around 30min on ps4. No issues so far. Frame rate isn't the best. I'm guessing 20-30. A single frame hitch at the start of the game but looking at the PC specs its a miracle its even running on the console.

However anyone having problems with there trophies not showing up when being synced? Mine arent showing up.

looks like UE4 is off to a horrible start on PS4. Now I am glad EA switched to Frostbite! At least their future games will run and look great on the system

Melchiah

Few awkward moments so far, when the character has said on two occasions, "Oh my god, what is that?!", and there's nothing there. Once she was startled by a noise before it occurred. Sigh. I don't find it that thrilling to walk back and forth these copy-paste corridors.

This scene managed to startle me though...
http://i.imgur.com/1jWKzvF.jpg
...posted as a link, just in case someone wants to go in like a virgin.

It really seems to be a mediocre buggy mess, but every once in a while the sounds give me the chills.

Cudder

Few awkward moments so far, when the character has said on two occasions, "Oh my god, what is that?!", and there's nothing there. Once she was startled by a noise before it occurred. Sigh. I don't find it that thrilling to walk back and forth these copy-paste corridors.

This scene managed to startle me though...
http://i.imgur.com/1jWKzvF.jpg
...posted as a link, just in case someone wants to go in like a virgin.

It really seems to be a mediocre buggy mess, but every once in a while the sounds give me the chills.

It's so painfully obvious that everything in this game is coded to occur randomly. The ghost appearing, the quips the main character says, the noises that occur in the environment, everything.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
looks like UE4 is off to a horrible start on PS4. Now I am glad EA switched to Frostbite! At least their future games will run and look great on the system

While it look awful it still don't run well on my ov sc 780 :/

if this is a UE4 problem then it do explain why developers are going for Unity and CryEngine mostly so far.

It's so painfully obvious that everything in this game is coded to occur randomly. The ghost appearing, the quips the main character says, the noises that occur in the environment, everything.

yup. most of the time she react or say something or the music change tone it's -unintentionally- because of absolutely nothing. that not how you make a horror game that is just annoying.

bee

cheers for the fix for the godawful chromatic aberration totobeni :) still looks like shit but hey at least it isn't barf inducing now, will try the fov fix for triple screen later

what a looker! 100fps, should be 300 imo :p

daylight_2014_04_30_1d5c9o.png

Melchiah

Decided to call it a day in the
prison
, when the shadows kept coming all the time, stripping me of all flares. Blah. This is exactly why I quitted playing Outlast during the generator scene. Repetition, which follows a failure, strips away the atmosphere, and makes the game just frustrating. I kinda hope these kind of horror games would adopt Quantic Dream's method, where failure isn't necessarily the end, but a turn to another path. Seems like run & hide horror just isn't my cup of tea, which ultimately lessens my expectations for Alien: Isolation and Frictional's SOMA.

Top Bottom