• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daylight |OT| (PS4/PC) Not Dying Light

Xpliskin

I nearly picked this up yesterday during the pre-release sale on Steam.
Bought a paysafecard just for that today, wasn't in time for the promo.

Then saw the reviews and twitch streams ... this has been overhyped.
I'll wait for a sale sadly :/

Melchiah

BTW, after I quitted the game, the trophy section on the UI was blank. It seems like the game's bugginess also affects the system.

CozMick

Banned
BTW, after I quitted the game, the trophy section on the UI was blank. It seems like the game's bugginess also affects the system.

This game has broken trophies.

I've tried syncing multiple times, starting the game over and over. Nothing works. They never appear in my list.

This shit needs fixed pronto.

Melchiah

This game has broken trophies.

I've tried syncing multiple times, starting the game over and over. Nothing works. They never appear in my list.

This shit needs fixed pronto.

I mean the top bar on the UI, which lists how many gold, silver, etc. trophies you have, and your overall level. After I quitted the game they were all blank, but reappeared when I restarted the system.

Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea ep.2 had a similar problem that you mentioned. The trophies appeared on the list after a few days of completing the DLC.

Cmagus

I just finished the game on the hard difficulty. Sadly it didn't give me my trophy for doing that I guess its bugged. Overall not a very good game but not super terrible. This pretty much feels like that game Slender where each section you collect the papers(notes) and move onto the next area.

Visually the game isn't great looking although I like the ghosts design. The environments were so bland it literally felt like they made a bunch of rectangular corridors and put them together. There is no depth, no height, no variation in them its either square or rectangle and the one set of stairs there is leads to a balcony with nothing on it.

The audio was also rough the man talking to you is very annoying spouting off useless stuff and environment wise its like the same 4 things over and over. The writing was also pretty bleh overall I stopped paying attention to the story half way through and the ending is so lame.

Game play wise there isn't much here it maintains the same thing right till the end. Collect set number of notes, get sigil, open door and repeat for each area. Like many mentioned here the frame rate gets real low but the funny thing is it runs fine during the game play but between each area there is a little part where its safe that's where the game drops real low to almost powerpoint slide show presentation.

I also really hated how cheap the game could get due to so many dead ends and ghosts just popping up and most of the time there isn't enough time to get out a flare before you die it was pretty frustrating on hard. Even little things like being stuck in a room with an enemy only to have a knee high wall you can't jump over.

Overall there is alot of missed potential here as it seemed like it could have been pretty good but it just doesn't deliver. Still gonna go for 100% tonight then onto Child of Light.

Chabbles

Picked this up on PS4 earlier, pretty much for the 3D. Big mistake. Framerate feels sub 30 and the input lag with 3D enabled feels like 200ms to a quarter second delay.

saunderez

I had to laugh at some of the Scooby Doo level scares in this game.

A ceiling tile falls down - oooohhhhhhhh
Some paintings in a room slant - ohhhhhhhh

I'm gonna have to agree with the people saying Outlast does what this game tries to do far better.

I finished the game in 87 minutes. I have to admit I jumped a couple of times. However, the writing leaves A LOT to be desired Also, I feel like the environments were wasted. I went through Asylum->Prison_>Sewers->Dock->Forest->...... The gameplay was also too simplistic. Find notes, get key, go unlock door and get the hell out of dodge while some dude spouts random nonsense at you. Oh and the twist, I figured that out watching the beginning of let's plays and reading a couple of notes. It was too obvious. Jessica Chobot should be ashamed. She literally ripped the story from other, much better games.

The procedural generation of the levels really didn't add much to the game. Yes, i did see some environments that weren't in other peoples playthroughs like the prison hall and 3 floors that I could go up. I rather they added special items that would significantly change the way the game was played.....like items that would get me special powers or something like telekinesis or something. It's rather a dull affair.

I played it on my laptop. I didn't really have any performance issues since I played it below 1080p.
Intel i7 4700MQ
8GB RAM
GTX 770M 3GB

I ran it at 1366x768 with everything maxed and with all Nvidia exclusive effects on.

The framerate in this game on the PS4 is an utter travesty. Once you reach the
sewers
it completely dive bombs from the already sub-30 it was running at.

I would get it on the PC but its such a garbage game that once I'm done with it I pretty much want nothing to do with it afterwards.

I'm gonna have to agree with the people saying Outlast does what this game tries to do far better.
Outlast is Silent Hill 2 by comparison.

So far this game...bwaahaha.

Makes me so fucking pumped for Asylum because I know Agustin Cordes will deliver the goods. This was just an utter waste of money. Dull, uninspired, strangely obtuse. Absolute shitstained writing too.

I say the thing about Asylum because whenever I play a game based in an Asylum I look forward to the future when that game is out...

Picked this up on PS4 earlier, pretty much for the 3D. Big mistake. Framerate feels sub 30 and the input lag with 3D enabled feels like 200ms to a quarter second delay.

Sounds like that isn't too different with 3D off, just at 1080p instead. I've only played the first section with the 3D on. I need to play more to make up my mind, but seemed to have potential in 3D with surround sound for scaring me, even if it's not half the game Outlast was.

Cmagus

Just got 100% on this after 4 playthroughs and two of them on hard. Last two were speed runs like a boss I have this game down to a science at this point.
j1zXzBHvsKmex.png

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
no wonder the PC version is freaking awful. I guess they didn't even care.

look here
bi37fms.jpg

Not only they are lazy and can't put 360 button prompts when you connect a 360 controller like most of the games these days, the mini-map zoom feature is not working on PC using a controller at all as they just forgot about it, even the dev posting on steam didn't notice that. it's like they didn't even realize that controller people on PC mostly have 360 controllers.

Sure people will play with m&k (me included, but many PC people like to play with controllers) this is just incompetence.

I wouldn't recommend buying this. If you've played ANY Slenderman rip-off, you've played this. I just beat it on Normal in one sitting. I even streamed the whole thing on Twitch and it saved the archived broadcast. 2 hours and 22 minutes if you're interested in the length.

http://www.twitch.tv/tylerthehood/b/524659275

pretty much. This game do absolutely nothing new, and copy other games but do it worse than even the free Slender clones.

JLeack

Banned
The framerate in this game on the PS4 is an utter travesty. Once you reach the
sewers
it completely dive bombs from the already sub-30 it was running at.

I would get it on the PC but its such a garbage game that once I'm done with it I pretty much want nothing to do with it afterwards.

Outlast is Silent Hill 2 by comparison.

The framerate on PC is awful too. It's the worst performing game I've ever played.

H2Yo

Can someone please spoil the story for me, the twist and such? I won't ever play this game but I'm curious.

Chabbles

Sounds like that isn't too different with 3D off, just at 1080p instead. I've only played the first section with the 3D on. I need to play more to make up my mind, but seemed to have potential in 3D with surround sound for scaring me, even if it's not half the game Outlast was.

Nah man, 3D absolutely destroys the framerate, but i cant tell just how bad with the amount of input lag it also introduces. And the 3D effect only actually looked good when i was standing still in this game. Silenthill Downpour in 3D is decent, this game is brutal.

Nah man, 3D absolutely destroys the framerate, but i cant tell just how bad with the amount of input lag it also introduces. And the 3D effect only actually looked good when i was standing still in this game. Silenthill Downpour in 3D is decent, this game is brutal.

I'll double check, but I don't remember the input lag being that bad... but then I wasn't really paying attention to that. Check your TV doesn't have different things enabled during 3D that might introduce lag. I know on my TV 3D output has to be separately configured from 2D and I had to make a few changes originally.

If Zen Pinball plays fine for you, you're obviously all set and it is this game. I just can't look into this until later. 200+ ms input lag is stuff I normally notice though.

Chabbles

I'll double check, but I don't remember the input lag being that bad... but then I wasn't really paying attention to that. Check your TV doesn't have different things enabled during 3D that might introduce lag. I know on my TV 3D output has to be separately configured from 2D and I had to make a few changes originally.

If Zen Pinball plays fine for you, you're obviously all set and it is this game. I just can't look into this until later. 200+ ms input lag is stuff I normally notice though.

Well i've played a good few 3D games on PS3, and they play grand. The input lag in this game when 3D is enabled vs not enabled is like night and day when it comes to the input lag and framerate. Although im very sensitive to input lag.. maybe my memory is playing tricks with me, but this feels almost KZ2 levels of delay with 3D enabled.

You are the 13th witch of a family of 13 witches all with the last name Gwyn. That's about it.

Acually, that is not the whole story.
You are the descendant of the 13th witch who turned in the other 12 witches to be murdered. The other witches want revenge

From wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_(video_game)
The plot is centered around a woman named Sarah who regains consciousness in an abandoned hospital with no memory of how she got there. A mysterious voice tells her to find the secrets of the hospital. With a cell phone, which is her map, she must explore the haunted hospital and its criminal past in order to escape. As she explores the hospital and the adjacent prison, Sarah begins to learn of the hospital's past, where twelve witches were executed and buried on the hospital grounds, with a thirteenth witch escaping death due to her turning in the other twelve witches. Sarah also discovers that she is a descendant of the thirteenth witch, and that the angry spirits of the twelve slain witches seek vengeance on her. However, it is unclear whether Sarah manages to escape the hospital or not.

The DX11 error which prevents the game from launching for a large number of consumers STILL has not been resolved.

I think there is a fix on the Steam forums for that error. I'm not completely sure though since I can't access the steam forums at the moment, but I thought there was some executable that you could run

Edit: Beaten
I got it working by installing This

Anyway, I really wanted to like this game. When you find out what really is going on, why couldn't they give you some
powers to use to change the gameplay up along with some more enemies
It would have made things a lot more interesting. That is the problem with this procedurally generated game. They focused more on the level design (which is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things) and procedural scares instead of dropping loot that could change the way the game is played. Why can't I use
witch powers after I awakened. They could have extended the game and done tons of other stuff
. This game is so half assed.

WarpathDC

This. Terribly unoptimized and buggy. I was looking forward to another 3d title

ScribbleD

I think there is a fix on the Steam forums for that error. I'm not completely sure though since I can't access the steam forums at the moment, but I thought there was some executable that you could run

Edit: Beaten

Anyway, I really wanted to like this game. When you find out what really is going on, why couldn't they give you some
powers to use to change the gameplay up along with some more enemies
It would have made things a lot more interesting. That is the problem with this procedurally generated game. They focused more on the level design (which is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things) and procedural scares instead of dropping loot that could change the way the game is played. Why can't I use
witch powers after I awakened. They could have extended the game and done tons of other stuff
. This game is so half assed.

I've tried to install that a few times, but I get an error saying the specified service does not exist.

W7 64-bit, SP 1 is installed.

i just did a stream on PS4 with one of my roommates, man that twitch integration is fun! i had about 135 viewers on my stream and everyone was trying to trigger stuff, even had someone jump in a party chat with me to help us along. overall, i can see why the game got lower ratings, but i thought the twitch integration really made it even more fun and spooky since people were trying to trigger stuff the entire time. got a bunch of new followers and friend requests on PSN too, it was fun.

if you wanna watch here's the video of our playthrough. we actually got stuck on one level and that was one someone actually invited us to a party chat to help us along, it was pretty funny when we got unstuck.

but yeah, all in all, i felt like i got some good scares out of it, like i felt like the 9 bucks was like a scary movie ticket and i had a pretty good time with it. i'll probably play through it again at some point when i have forgotten everything about the game.

Serandur

The game came with my GTX 780 (What a ripoff, I want Watch Dogs! :/), but given it's reception I've not yet activated it and don't intend to. Should I sell it? Would anyone buy it?

Vuze

The game came with my GTX 780 (What a ripoff, I want Watch Dogs! :/), but given it's reception I've not yet activated it and don't intend to. Should I sell it? Would anyone buy it?

Yeah, sell it/trade it for some TF2 keys (I think the price is around 2~3 keys atm). Alternatively Playfire Rewards has 0.95£ rewards on it. But I'd go with selling it.

-

Just finished it now and jumped about twice but what really killed the fear I had in the beginning was that the witches tend to spawn like 30m away in front of you? lol

It's pretty clear to me that this is a Slender rip-off in Unreal Engine 4 but with a less creepier hunter than Slendy. Also couldn't really follow the story tbh. Wouldn't recommend it. Wasn't even super pretty as I expected from UE4, that chromatic aberration was awful (can be fixed with ini modification it seems tho).

Fady K

So the game wasn't that bad, but I can't help but feel how everything it did could have been much better.

For instance the premise of the story, while cliched, is intriguing if handled well. However, the ending was quite abrupt and the many notes you read are unfortunately not very interesting.

While the random generation of areas is pretty cool on paper, the execution is a bit off with so much repetition - making it a nightmare to navigate around when you get lost.

I must also say, the writing in this game is POOR. This is the best that Jessica Chobot could come up with? Just screams amateurish. The voice acting is a bit dull too, especially some of the funny reactions by the lead, Sarah.

Also the game had far too few puzzles and having to deal with only
one enemy
throughout the whole game really is too simplistic. Game needed more variety.

Graphics were pretty good, but nothing special. I noticed some people here as well as the press compared this to Outlast, but it doesn't come anywhere near it in terms of the visuals, gameplay variety, scenery, sound quality, voice acting, plot, etc etc. Outlast is a gem of a game that is easily one of the best horror experiences I have encountered in a videogame.

Having said that, I am happy that a game like Daylight exists. It is good to increase the quantity (and hopefully quality) of horror games these days, especially on consoles where it is rare. Plus, having a digital store with download-only games can serve as a good channel to help bring more and more content. There are plenty of horror games on the PC (previously released and upcoming) that would make for great additions to the PS4 library (and other gaming consoles).

Overall, I enjoyed Daylight despite its' many limitations and would like to see Zombie to continue making horror games.

Trident7

need a little help on how the twitch commands work with the ps4. do you have to use the ps4s on board streaming or can you use a capture card for it? thanks

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I gotta say, that although the critics are mostly true, I still enjoyed this game. The atmosphere is well done and better than Outlast imo, at least it sacred me more. Yeah, is not very good game, but I think i got my $10 out of it. I haven't played any of the Slender games, so that might have helped.

I gotta say, that although the critics are mostly true, I still enjoyed this game. The atmosphere is well done and better than Outlast imo, at least it sacred me more. Yeah, is not very good game, but I think i got my $10 out of it. I haven't played any of the Slender games, so that might have helped.

I haven't played this game yet, but judging from the videos ive watched the atmosphere doesn't come close to Outlast. Say what you will about the gameplay (I enjoyed it), but the best thing about Outlast by far is the insanely good environmental art, lighting, attention to detail, and sound design that all culminates to make it an incredibly atmospheric experience.

Top Bottom