• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone [OT] Days Gone B Gud

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I’m willing to give this an 8 now. I’ve just opened up about half a dozen or more missions so I’m now out of what felt like a long tutorial phase and have a lot of freedom to do what I want. If the story knocks it out of the park it may reach as high as 9 but I couldn’t imagine going higher than that due to the flaws previously mentioned.

Don’t get me wrong I’m loving it though and want to keep playing as I love these types of games.

MacReady13

Picked it up yesterday from our local JB Hi Fi for $66 aud (approx $46 usd) and am yet to play it, but from some of the stuff i've read, i'm actually quite excited to play it!

vpance

Well about to boot this thing up. What's the consensus on Hard Difficulty?

Did not try normal mode, but my guess is the biggest difference is just enemy health. On hard, I'm wailing on enemies with a bat and it takes like 10 hits to kill them.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This motherfucker is slow burning me.
Went to a nest and only 25 freakers was there.
Ammo is a bit low considering too.
Makes me kinda worried for when I do run into the horde
Seriously I feel like I'm Daryl on a supply run so far lol
But I'm enjoying just exploring and hunting.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
OK keep having FX sound cut out.
Having to reboot to fix it, kinda like Dark10X mention but it's happening often.
Edit: Seem ok now
Got a bit further.....Fuck a cemetery
8SlK.gif

Last edited:
Been playing for last 4 hours. I love it. I dunno if running from an SSD makes that big of a difference or not but loads are quick and very few technical issues so far.

Just taking my time and loving it. Again the 5.1 mix in my headset is amazing, environment and weather effects are the strong points, characters and enemies not so much (visually).

Feels like a solid low 8 or solid high 7.

Stellar sense of danger out in the wild.

Kinda wish I had started on hard instead of normal, can’t change it. Oh well

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Well, 3 hours in, I can tell you I like the combat both melee and shooting much much better than RDR2/The Last of Us/Mad Max. Game is visual stunning in areas, when its raining at night and the thunder/lightning is going -- top notch. Some graphical flaws here and there, the loading can be a slight issue, but so far.... very solid cool game.

Mad Max + Red Dead Redemption + The Last of Us = Days Gone

The negative to me is the loading screen, and pauses between cut scenes, after the first few minutes haven't really noticed any frames dropping. idk

Might not be a masterpiece but is a damn fine game.

Dev1lXYZ

The controls are a touch on the floaty side and the gunplay and melee needed to be tweaked just a little longer. It feels like this was probably pushed out to make the release deadline and probably needed another month or two in the oven. Hopefully, some post release patches tighten it up a bit. Having fun with it nonetheless.

Anybody else that pre-ordered from Amazon not get their bonus DLC code?

edit: nvm, found it. But holy shit, there's a 20GB patch? lol

Last edited:
played for 8 hours straight, only stopping to go to bed now.

It's good.

Many of the complains/criticisms are valid but the overall package is very enjoyable for me.

A little janky/glitchy? Yeah. AI is horrible? Yeah.

Good visuals, beautiful world/environment/weather, excellent music and sound. Fun to jump in and immerse yourself in the dangerous world.

7.8 so far. I like it a lot.

Quicksave often, that is something I have learned.

The story is more than adequate. May not be a well written masterpiece but it’s solid and I’m very interested in what’s going on

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
played for 8 hours straight, only stopping to go to bed now.

It's good.

Many of the complains/criticisms are valid but the overall package is very enjoyable for me.

A little janky/glitchy? Yeah. AI is horrible? Yeah.

Good visuals, beautiful world/environment/weather, excellent music and sound. Fun to jump in and immerse yourself in the dangerous world.

7.8 so far. I like it a lot.

Quicksave often, that is something I have learned.
I’m glad you are having fun

Last edited:

nowhat

So far, it seems like a solid 7/10 game. It can look beautiful at times, and I haven't encountered many technical issues yet (FWIW I do have an SSD in my Pro, so perhaps I'm not getting some of the streaming issues some of the reviewers have had). Bonus points for both the HDR implementation (not the best out there IMHO, but certainly better than many recent titles) and the dynamic weather system.

There are some annoyances though. For one, the gas. Your bike runs out of gas so quickly it's unbelievable. Yes, you can upgrade the fuel tank after a little while, and there's fuel to be found quite liberally if you rummage through everything, and I get that this is a post-apocalyptic survivor game, but it's still annoying. Then there are the UI prompts - I like how they're "3D", but the problem is, very often you have to hold a button to perform an action. And while doing so, the camera may zoom in so that the prompt is no longer visible. So you release the button, only to find out your action was cancelled. This is seriously bad UX design. And this may seem like nitpicking, but why is only fire effective in blasting those freaker nests? Pipe bombs, grenades, nope. You need fire.

Still, it seems like a decent enough game. And I have to admit, stumbling upon a horde accidentally for the first time was quite terrifying.

So far, it seems like a solid 7/10 game. It can look beautiful at times, and I haven't encountered many technical issues yet (FWIW I do have an SSD in my Pro, so perhaps I'm not getting some of the streaming issues some of the reviewers have had). Bonus points for both the HDR implementation (not the best out there IMHO, but certainly better than many recent titles) and the dynamic weather system.

There are some annoyances though. For one, the gas. Your bike runs out of gas so quickly it's unbelievable. Yes, you can upgrade the fuel tank after a little while, and there's fuel to be found quite liberally if you rummage through everything, and I get that this is a post-apocalyptic survivor game, but it's still annoying. Then there are the UI prompts - I like how they're "3D", but the problem is, very often you have to hold a button to perform an action. And while doing so, the camera may zoom in so that the prompt is no longer visible. So you release the button, only to find out your action was cancelled. This is seriously bad UX design. And this may seem like nitpicking, but why is only fire effective in blasting those freaker nests? Pipe bombs, grenades, nope. You need fire.

Still, it seems like a decent enough game. And I have to admit, stumbling upon a horde accidentally for the first time was quite terrifying.

SSD seems to be making a big difference for me as well.

I know it’s one of those things that varies game to game in regards to how much of a benefit you see.

demigod

Well what do you think works best on twigs? Fire of course.

Whats the deal with shoehorning some stupid detective mode knock off into every game? Deacon can see shit through walls with biker vision cmon bro.

demigod

Swapping my roll from R1 to O is much better. I blame dark souls for that.

Anyone have any retail musings? Not sure how many copies Fry’s got in or if they put it all out but i only saw 2 copies of the game.

Acidizer

Banned
How bullet spongey are the enemies? Does the difficulty affect that?

Zombies should explode on impact. I am thinking free-aim and easy could be a good combo. Not sure how much auto-aim is needed since it looks like you get rushed by lots of enemies at a time, but putting it on easy good help there... looking for a good balance of sense of danger and fun.

Last edited:
I’m playing it on hard, died a couple times because i tried to melee when there’s more than 1 mob, bad idea. Overall its not that hard atm.

Game feels like a shooter version of asscreed and I’m loving it.

It feels like it has one element from Several different games combined together. It works. It’s little clunky sometimes but it works.

I’m hoping when I finish on normal I can NG+ into survival mode

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned

Zombies should explode on impact. I am thinking free-aim and easy could be a good combo. Not sure how much auto-aim is needed since it looks like you get rushed by lots of enemies at a time, but putting it on easy good help there... looking for a good balance of sense of danger and fun.

I'm playing on Hard, not sure how that effects the enemies. Shotguns work up close and you can usually get one shot kills, the pistol to me is actually kind of tough for up close... but better at medium/long range, imo. Shooting to me is like Uncharted series, especially with the AK-47. Melee is kind of like The Last of Us, but not quite as canned prepackaged - you'll get tired or miss after a few swings, more grounded to me. The game actually needs the survival mode (suppose to come out in June), imo, Hard is not hard enough (that's what she said :messenger_grinning:).

Loving this game so far, not sure what games the reviewers are playing to score this a a 1.5/5 and 5/10, but its bumping up close to Bloodborne for me Above Horizon for me, and might be higher than RDR2 - although it would be nice, if the loading and transitions to/from cut-scenes were better/faster.

Shooting - Uncharted
Melee - The Last of Us (but more grounded, less prepacked moves... but its still pretty cool)
Player Movement - Horizon with a little more jank (not sure how to express it) and not quite as fast
Trap Setting - Horizon, although I am early yet and only have access to the ones which you can move
Bike/Travel - Red Dead Redemption/Mad Max, better than those, the bike is real fun.... like it just cool to go flying over a hill and before you know it 10 zombies are around you, also fairly grounded but fun
Map/Bases or certain areas - Mad Max, there is a little samey feeling to certain areas, to me it kind of works... but I could see why others might not like it.
Human AI - finding it fairly good for an open world game, much better to me so far than RDR2 and Uncharted, and human AI in Horizon to me was horrible
Zombie AI - I haven't taken down any of the required hordes, and try to avoid the larger groups.... they do what you expect them to do... one negative I have is individuals don't move too much when you throw rocks to distract them - not sure what the issue is there. When you see a ton of them pouring out of a train, its actually terrifying.
Animal AI - I have no idea... I saw some wolves and got on my bike and got the hell out of there 🐣
World - freaking awesome design, day/nite cycle is awesome, it rains a lot, the lighting/thunder top notch.... the game is a looker.... foliage is too me the best in any video game.
Graphics - very nice image quality, some of the best graphics of this gen, imo
Performance - this is where there are nicks in armor, loading screens and pauses from cutscenes do have an impact on immersion, but its not horrible or anything... I've also had zombies disappear when I am wrestling with them with my back against a tree..... normal open world bugs
Characters - I'm only 5 hours in, hard to tell at this point... not much story elements... but Deacon talks to himself which is good and explains things... just too early at this point... I don't dislike him like some of the reviewers were going on about
Story - Some people have had issues with the flashbacks... not much story at this point for me.
Communication - The characters sometimes talk via handheld which is kind like a Cortana/John device with Doozer
Menu - Visually awesome, functional... you really don't need to look at that much
HUD - Nice, you can toogle on XP if that is your thing.... survival mode can possible help here
Music - great, not overbearing but you notice it at times
Sound - this is also so so to me, sometimes zombies can sound closer than what they really are... so it kind of scares the shit out of you... also when Deacon is talking to himself, sometimes it doesn't sound mixed enough - hard to explain

Very solid game if you like elements of Mad Max, The Last of Us and Red Dead Redemption. So far, my second favorite game this gen with Bloodborne being #1.... with Dark Souls III up there as well.

Last edited:

TimFL

Played the game for a few hours today (first time, late to the party). I only played like 3 quests I think, so still loads of stuff to find out.
I love the bike mechanics, wish they went down the same route for the main protagonist...

Stuff I would've loved to see in the game (correct me if these things are indeed in the game):
- Character needs, so you have to find food/water to restore energy (similar to RDR2, so people can ignore it if they feel like it's a boring gameplay loop)
- Weather having an impact on your character, having a selection of clothing items to choose from to combat said effects
- Potentially being able to build smaller outposts (campfire + tent) to get quick access to a potential cooking mechanic for food and time skips via sleeping in the tent/sleeping bag
- Maybe a few small binary choices (the intro quest hunting that guy comes to my mind). No branching story (potentially a cutscene change only?), but it'd add to the illusion of you being in charge of the characters actions.

Last edited:

demigod

I’m playing on hard and if i’m remembering correctly, it only took me 3-4 shots to kill a freaker. Its not as stupid as Resident Evil 2 Remake where it takes like 10 shots.

I’m playing on hard and if i’m remembering correctly, it only took me 3-4 shots to kill a freaker. Its not as stupid as Resident Evil 2 Remake where it takes like 10 shots.
In the head no less lol. Hated that

So I’ve put in about 6 hours. But it’s not all story time. Taking out nests I come across, searching cars and houses.

Seen my first horde. Just sat on my bike watching from a distance. Impressive

Liking the game so far

vpance

I'm liking this at least as much as Horizon. But enjoying the setting and story more here.

Focus aiming and melee weapon repair have been good early skill unlocks for me. Getting headshots at distance has been a bit tricky with these early weapons.

RPGCrazied

So hows the story? I read this game is like 30 hours long. I doubt the story is that long, maybe if you did everything on the map?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm really enjoying it, but two things really bother me. The lack of an animation when aiming the gun from the holster position, and the flashlight beam not coming from any tangible light source on the character and moving with the camera, even when behind the character. These aren't game breaking issues, but they're small little details that studios like Rockstar, Naughty Dog, or CD Projekt RED would not have missed. Feels slightly amateurish, especially the flashlight issue.

Last edited:

vpance

Can you not carry a gas can while riding on your bike? That's a bit weird. Guess they did it for balance reasons so you don't have backup gas everywhere you go.

I'm really enjoying it, but two things really bother me. The lack of an animation when aiming the gun from the holster position, and the flashlight beam not coming from any tangible light source on the charter and moving with the camera, even when behind the charter. These aren't game breaking issues, but their small little details that studios like Rockstar, Naughty Dog, or CD Projekt RED would not have missed. Feels slightly amateurish, especially the flashlight issue.

Thank you...the torch having no source was the one thing I spotted straight away and I cannot unknow it! Minor annoyance every time I use it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom