• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone PS4 pro screenshots

DrBo42

How so? It was hardly just a tech demo as the gameplay elements all seamed fairly obvious whether it was the scavenging for items to combine into tools and additions to weapons, to the frantic gameplay where running away and using the environment in conjunction with your weapons to slow and stymie the horde as you thin them out was very obvious, the variety of ways to use the open world in conjunction with this. So on and so forth. There was nothing obtuse or vague about it, especially when we got the alternate play through that further high lighted these elements.

Scavenging and "crafting" looked barely functional in terms of UI and use. Actual gameplay boiled down to nothing but attracting a horde to run away from and use poor environmental obstacles to slow down.

Feels exactly like watching the early Splinter Cell Conviction hobo Sam gameplay. Nothing felt frantic as you say, just a proof of concept for the horde numbers and barely functional/recently implemented scavenging and environmental interaction. If this game isn't in development trouble I'd be fucking shocked.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Well, that tiny demo of one small location with the main protagonist having to deal with one enemy type, has got this gamer interested. I'm looking forward to riding across this open world, watching the story unfold, getting to know the characters and fighting the many other enemy types. I hope the story unfolds in a similar way to TLOU. I can clearly see from the cutscenes that the actors are fully committed to this project and the script is tight. This is up there with Horizon Zero Dawn as most anticipated.

Without HDR, but with Game Mode on, it's somewhere in the low 20s. Unfortunately, there aren't any 4k TVs that have low input lag with both Game Mode + HDR on.

Well, I think the Samsung KS9800 does, though I'm not sure.

Usually game modes fuck up other settings like, brightness, color, sharpness etc.

Can you still put it on game mode and still calibrate your picture to something decent. Also, does it force overscan?

Scavenging and "crafting" looked barely functional in terms of UI and use. Actual gameplay boiled down to nothing but attracting a horde to run away from and use poor environmental obstacles to slow down.

Feels exactly like watching the early Splinter Cell Conviction hobo Sam gameplay. Nothing felt frantic as you say, just a proof of concept for the horde numbers and barely functional/recently implemented scavenging and environmental interaction. If this game isn't in development trouble I'd be fucking shocked.
Wtf..

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yeah, this isn't really saying anything. Halo 5, inFAMOUS, Sunset Overdrive, The Witness looks shallow and boring to some people as well.
To some, games like Halo and Gears look shallow and boring. So that's not saying much.
I was asked a question and I answered it?

*"Why you don't like thing?"
*Because of these other things.
*"That don't mean shit"

I don't get it.

Nibel

Looks nice even though some of the artifacts (mountain, trees) look kinda bad. But yeah, I was on board with this game since day one, hope this one will be worthwhile

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

They looked fine enough to me. I don't need every game to be insanely complex with the crafting or stupidly diverse with the items you pick up or their placement in the world. Not every open world scavenging game needs to be Fall Out and I'm fine with that. Looked like it worked exactly as intended and UI is not something I worry about this early in development.

The horde gameplay looked pretty good to me in such an early state with the player having hundreds of rounds of bullets and the difficulty lowered. It gave a great idea of the different ways you can interact not only with the horde but the environment and use the two to your advantage. Its not just the interactive areas and items but also being able to use bottle necks to proper advantage, being able to stop up the "flood" of zombies, and even the parts where he gets inside and has enemies busting down the walls and slowly breaking inside to even bridges collapsing under bodies. The closest I could even come close to thinking of a comparable game is Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 and none have environmental interactivity anywhere like that nor are open world or have vehicles.

If that is a proof of concept its pretty god damn impressive stacked up to the closest competition. You say barely functional and I say looking real good for pre alpha gameplay, you saw limitations and early work and I saw possibilities for what could be some incredible emergent gameplay

cakefoo

At the very least i know this game will look stunning in 1080p mode with the supersample.

daysgonel7sjv.png

Major difference in texture clarity
I don't see a single difference, let alone a "major" one.

farisr

*"That don't mean shit"

I don't get it.
No, that's not what happened here. If you had said that you didn't like the game because you found it shallow and boring, and wanted them to show something more compelling, that would've been that. But you said the gameplay needed to be fixed, that means something totally different.. "shallow and boring" is not a valid response to that, as I said there are people out there that find games like Halo, inFAMOUS, Sunset Overdrive and The Witness shallow and boring as well.

*"That don't mean shit"

I don't get it.
I'm guessing because you said the gameplay needs to be fixed, which implies something is broken or whatever. I don't think there's anything wrong with you or anyone else not liking what's been shown of the game, but saying something needs to be fixed sounds a bit different than just saying you don't like the gameplay. :)

etta

my hard graphic balls
No, that's not what happened here. If you had said that you didn't like the game because you found it shallow and boring, and wanted them to show something more compelling, that would've been that. But you said the gameplay needed to be fixed, that means something totally different.. "shallow and boring" is not a valid response to that, as I said there are people out there that find games like Halo, inFAMOUS, Sunset Overdrive and The Witness shallow and boring as well.
But... the gameplay looks boring and shallow, and I was hoping they'd fix that...??

If I keep answering questions then people will say I'm derailing so this will be my last post on the topic. We can take it to PM if you wish.

HStallion

But... the gameplay looks boring and shallow, and I was hoping they'd fix that...??

If I keep answering questions then people will say I'm derailing so this will be my last post on the topic. We can take it to PM if you wish.

You just need to fix your answers

No thats just a enemy type the horde they come in various sizes.
Yup we know of the horde and the child like ones that are careful when they attack(forget their names)

Really enjoy the lil details they released about the horde needing food and since that's the case most hordes will be around a general food source with a few stragglers here and there.

LKSmash

Yup we know of the horde and the child like ones that are careful when they attack(forget their names)

Really enjoy the lil details they released about the horde needing food and since that's the case most hordes will be around a general food source with a few stragglers here and there.

I hadn't seen this info. Thanks for the clarification

Daffy Duck

Any chance we get screenshots like this showing us what people with a standard PS4 will get?

Or are we now in a world where only Pro shots will ever be shown and we'll have no idea what the PS4 game looks like until reviews drop?

I get that they are showing this game off to push the Pro but I'm not getting one and I'm interested in this game so would like similar photos of what it looks like for me.

DrBo42

They looked fine enough to me. I don't need every game to be insanely complex with the crafting or stupidly diverse with the items you pick up or their placement in the world. Not every open world scavenging game needs to be Fall Out and I'm fine with that. Looked like it worked exactly as intended and UI is not something I worry about this early in development.

The horde gameplay looked pretty good to me in such an early state with the player having hundreds of rounds of bullets and the difficulty lowered. It gave a great idea of the different ways you can interact not only with the horde but the environment and use the two to your advantage. Its not just the interactive areas and items but also being able to use bottle necks to proper advantage, being able to stop up the "flood" of zombies, and even the parts where he gets inside and has enemies busting down the walls and slowly breaking inside to even bridges collapsing under bodies. The closest I could even come close to thinking of a comparable game is Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 and none have environmental interactivity anywhere like that nor are open world or have vehicles.

If that is a proof of concept its pretty god damn impressive stacked up to the closest competition. You say barely functional and I say looking real good for pre alpha gameplay, you saw limitations and early work and I saw possibilities for what could be some incredible emergent gameplay

I hope they turn it into something interesting. There definitely is potential but watching that I don't see clear vision. The 600+ rounds of ammo next to crafting is incredibly jarring. Shooting has no impact and the environmental hazards he's employing to reduce to numbers seem to amount to nothing. It just doesn't feel clear what they're trying to get across other than "Look how many there are!". Usually there's a troubling reason for that running all the way up to the creative lead. We'll see down the road at the next big showing.

Velurian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PECqrhxhpTA

This is 2007 graphics with some shader effects and I really feel like nothing special in gaming has happaned ever since (in terms of nature/realism) + it had amazing physics...

Maybe Eathan Carter with its photogrammetry felt more natural but aside but had no physics to go with it...

farisr

No thanks, it's a waste of time.

Anyways my last thoughts on the matter, "gameplay needs to be fixed" sounds like an objective statement as though there is something fundamentally flawed with the gameplay system that everyone should recognize, like a jump being broken, or a melee attack causing a weird lunge, or controls seeming unresponsive etc. So I suggest that you avoid using a statement like that in the future to express a subjective opinion. If you don't like a game because you find it shallow and boring, say that. Saying the gameplay needs to be fixed implies something else entirely.

KyleCross

Every thing about your comment screams generic - you're better off saying nothing, as you've said actually nothing
Don't get down on the man for speaking the truth. I don't know how you can say the game DOESN'T look generic. You can still be anticipating it, and it can still turn out to be a great game. But c'mon, there's nothing original in it. Hell, we all thought it was TLOU 2 when it was debuting.

HStallion

I hope they turn it into something interesting. There definitely is potential but watching that I don't see clear vision. The 600+ rounds of ammo next to crafting is incredibly jarring. Shooting has no impact and the environmental hazards he's employing to reduce to numbers seem to amount to nothing. It just doesn't feel clear what they're trying to get across other than "Look how many there are!". Usually there's a troubling reason for that running all the way up to the creative lead. We'll see down the road at the next big showing.

The developers stated outright that shooting the horde is the dumbest least effective thing you could do against the horde and were just doing it for demonstration purposes to show off how the horde reacts. Its supposed to look weak and ineffective because compared to the many other options available it is and that you will rarely have such large amounts of ammo in the actual game, let alone using them so freely when items are scarce, ammo especially.

I hadn't seen this info. Thanks for the clarification
Alot of people don't know much about it because they saw zombies(breakers) and stamped a generic stamp on it.
-Game is open world but that bike will be your only means of transportation. It can break down and run out of gas
-crafting will play a part as seen
-hostile weather and day and night cycles play a big part.
-wheres will be bounties for deacon to collect on which you can tackle anyway you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PECqrhxhpTA

This is 2007 graphics with some shader effects and I really feel like nothing special in gaming has happaned ever since (in terms of nature/realism) + it had amazing physics...

Maybe Eathan Carter with its photogrammetry felt more natural but aside but had no physics to go with it...

That looks fucking terrible and over processed. Like blasted whites,, bloom all over the place, with 30 different sources of lens flare. Overuse of depth of field blur. And that fish eye effect...

I'm glad the direction of game visual design is going to an area of more accurate representation of lighting and physics based rendering. As opposed to just add layers of graphical features on top of graphical features and really just overusing them all, just....cus. I don't think that's how you create a pleasing image in a game world.

DrBo42

The developers stated outright that shooting the horde is the dumbest least effective thing you could do against the horde and were just doing it for demonstration purposes to show off how the horde reacts. Its supposed to look weak and ineffective because compared to the many other options available it is and that you will rarely have such large amounts of ammo in the actual game, let alone using them so freely when items are scarce, ammo especially.

That's great they say it's ineffective but he's shooting them for half the demo at least and his other means of stopping them look equally ineffective. Not sure their reaction to shooting is anything but die. The back and forth isn't really getting us anywhere, haha.

etta

my hard graphic balls
No thanks, it's a waste of time.

Anyways my last thoughts on the matter, "gameplay needs to be fixed" sounds like an objective statement as though there is something fundamentally flawed with the gameplay system that everyone should recognize, like a jump being broken, or a melee attack causing a weird lunge, or controls seeming unresponsive etc. So I suggest that you avoid using a statement like that in the future to express a subjective opinion. If you don't like a game because you find it shallow and boring, say that. Saying the gameplay needs to be fixed implies something else entirely.
So basically I should've added an "for me/in my opinion" at the end to make it more apparent that I wasn't talking from an objective point of view.
99% of posts on forums are subjective ones, it really shouldn't be necessary for everyone to add an "IMO" every time they post a comment.

Eeeehhhh that's a little too high

God, this whole HDR with UHD with game mode working at the same time has made tv buying such a pain. I'm pretty sure I'm down to two series of models lol. It's slim pickings for gaming really it seems

Yeah it can be frustrating. Between stubborn technical hurdles and business's need to drip-feed features over a number of years to milk consumers and force periodic upgrades, it's arguably still a little too early for most people to buy in on 4K at the higher price-points (which is part of the reason why 4K adoption has been slow). Give TV manufacturers credit where it's due tho: They've re-invented the business by constantly innovating new features (whether they're really beneficial or mostly marketing bullshit). It wasn't long ago the TV biz felt stagnant and various circles whispered it was on its last legs. Problem is, 4K content isn't there yet and what little is available from streaming on Netflix isn't actually true 4K due to compression. Internet infrastructure and data caps further complicate things. HDR without lag, Adaptive Sync, true 120Hz / 144Hz / 240Hz panels, etc are all coming but feel like they're taking forever. Some of this (like standardizing on an HDR format) is political as much as it is engineering challenge and business competition. But when you boil it all down...a lot of people who buy now are probably going to regret it soon unless they have enough disposable income to upgrade every couple years. One nice thing is 4K TV pricing is falling like a rock on the low and mid-tier models. So, as usual, its a waiting game for the "high end" features to filter down to the main stream models at more reasonable prices.

Personally, I'm set with a couple kick-ass 1080p panels so am waiting for OLED (or equivalent) w/ HDR+low lag, adaptive sync, etc...for 2 grand or less. So, yeah, I'll be waiting a couple years. On the other hand, as technophiles often say...we can justify waiting for the next best thing forever.... ;)

KOHIPEET

Yeah, unless they purposely included artefacts in their bullshots.

Then colour me impressed. Up until this point, I wasn't really convinced about Pro, but this looks really good. Too bad, as even the cheapest 4k hdr TV worth buying is above 1500 bucks. (prices in the EU suck)

Then colour me impressed. Up until this point, I wasn't really convinced about Pro, but this looks really good. Too bad, as even the cheapest 4k hdr TV worth buying is above 1500 bucks. (prices in the EU suck)

It's easy to see why you would think it's "bullshots" as supersampling an image is one of the most common ways screen are "bullshot"

Which is cool because the Pro is bringing that very same level of fidelity to consoles for the first time

farisr

So basically I should've added an "for me/in my opinion" at the end to make it more apparent that I wasn't talking from an objective point of view.
99% of posts on forums are subjective ones, it really shouldn't be necessary for everyone to add an "IMO" every time they post a comment.
No, it's the statement that you used.

Gameplay needs to be less shallow and boring. Despite there being no "imo" or "I found the gameplay shallow and boring", there is a clear implied opinion here.

Gameplay needs to be fixed..This is not a statement that implies that an opinion is being expressed about the game being shallow and boring. It implies that there is something objectively wrong with the gameplay.

When seeing screenshots of this game all I can think of is "someone turned Ride to Hell: Retribution into a triple A game" lol

Top Bottom