• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone (PS4): The Origin of an Antihero

Tonky

Well, I'd be grateful if those companies gave it a rest with the post-apocalyptic zombie games for a good decade or so anyway.
Bend has several failed prototypes before settling on Dead Don't Ride/Days Gone. I'm guessing post-apocalyptic zombie games are easier to do and harder to mess up.

It was one of my favorite games of E3. Gorgeous graphics, cinematic feel, survival, crafting with a different take on an old enemy. I generally hate driving cars in open world games(mostly because of shit controls and traffic), but the motorcycle looks like it could fun to use.

Hopefully the the combat will be on a smaller scale most of the time and involve plenty of conflict with humans.

Bend has several failed prototypes before settling on Dead Don't Ride/Days Gone. I'm guessing post-apocalyptic zombie games are easier to do and harder to mess up.

Yep, I'm aware that after Golden Abyss, they started and stopped on several projects. And now they've settled with the safest premise for a video game in the year 2016. I understand why they did it, but it doesn't exactly reflect well on them does it.

Lime

Well maybe a European studio could do that. American studios make games that take place in America. Not hard to understand why.

-d0hv

"artists" / producers of entertainment already create media about a lot of other parts of the world / reality that they themselves don't have access to, why would any place other than the US be impossible?

There's this wonderful thing called the Internet that makes doing research and getting in contact with other people much easier.

I prefer white American protagonists personally so I have no problem with it.

Cool, but you already have a millions of those.

Zukkoyaki

I remember when we first heard the name Dead Don't Ride, I had this vision of a wacky open-world game similar to Mad Max that's all about fighting gangs and wrecking zombie ass with tricked out vehicles.

Days Gone looks cooly but I was initially disappointed with it haha.

Alienous

Most game won't be as good as the last of us, so most companies might as well stop making games.

It seems like it's trying to occupy the same space. It's just that I'm not interested in a game trying to strike the same chords. Zombies, the human condition, I get it already. Outside of that the gameplay loop they've shown doesn't look all that compelling.

Why does this even matter? They not trying to make Last of Us anyway.

I'm not sure about that yet.

Tonky

Yep, I'm aware that after Golden Abyss, they started and stopped on several projects. And now they've settled with the safest premise for a video game in the year 2016. I understand why they did it, but it doesn't exactly reflect well on them does it.
Well SSM failed once on a new IP with Stig and went straight back to GOW, so it makes sense for Bend to go do something they're comfortable with after failing a bunch of times.

SMG

I know its not new, but I havent seen this pic until this PS Blog post, impressive stuff

27046963313_b55c38a40c_b.jpg

Impressive but is there limb amputation?
That is the only thing I like about zombie games and why I like L4D2 so much.

A zombie game starring an anti-hero... the industry is about to get its world rocked

This made me realize a zombie game with a clean cut hero would be interesting.
"This undead horde is no match for my justice!"

Unfortunate that people automatically assume grizzled, violent anti-hero= Joel, as if someone can't have more character traits to differentiate themselves from one another. I'm already interested in his past, the motorcycle gang and his role as an actual bounty hunter.

Anyway, I'm extremely excited for the game. I love games with dark tones and survival. Crafting, heavy emphasis on the motorcycle, dynamic world and weather in a big (and gorgeous) open world is right up my alley. Can't wait.

Well said shinobi. Took the words out of my mouth.

I really hope they work on the biker culture more, that to me is way more fascinating genre / topic to explore than just post apoc zombie world. The devs seem really surprised by how into the biker thing everyone was at E3.

It sounds ludicrously stupid to maintain a biker gang in a zombie world, but if done right could be hilarious and awesome. Probably would have to lean more on comedy than edgy serious drama though, most of my enjoyment from Sons of Anarchy was into how ridiculous everything became.

Why does this even matter? They not trying to make Last of Us anyway.

Every Sony game shown was like TLOU this E3, didn't you hear?

And this has Zombies and it's cinematic. So it's much more like TLOU then something like Left 4 Dead, which ended up being a pretty pathetic TLOU clone.

Alienous

Every Sony game shown was like TLOU, didn't you hear?

And this has Zombies and it's cinematic, so it's much more like TLOU then something like Left 4 Dead, which ended up being a pretty pathetic TLOU clone.

If Days Gone had co-op that would be interesting, and probably reduce the TLOU comparisons significantly.

But as it stands Days Gone looks like a TLOU where Ellie is a motorbike.

It seems like it's trying to occupy the same space. It's just that I'm not interested in a game trying to strike the same chords. Zombies, the human condition, I get it already. Outside of that the gameplay loop they've shown doesn't look all that compelling.

I just replayed TLOU. Days gone seems pretty different actually. Its a bit more arcadey and crazy with massive amounts of fast zombies while TLOU is actually quite slow and focused on stealth

If Days Gone had co-op that would be interesting, and probably reduce the TLOU comparisons significantly.

But as it stands Days Gone looks like a TLOU where Ellie is a motorbike.

Yea, and L4D also looks like a TLOU game where Ellie is split into three AI buddies.

Glad we are in agreement.

Warxard

Banned
Man I just want a cool ass game about off roading in choppers

If the caveat is Zombies (they're zombies, fuck off) then I'm in

Mezoly

So what about all the shooters, rpgs, and every gente that has been done to death? Why just the zombie genre that people complain about?

The only new AAA zombie game that came out since ps4 released was Dying Light unless I'm forgetting others.compare that to other genres?

The last of us wasn't open world. It had few slow zombies not a fast horde. There was no humans and clickers in the same area in the last of us main game.

Loudninja

I know they did not say it but it does sound like you can save this guy

Another differentiation is that this is a completely open world. While the mission Bend has revealed might look like a beautifully scripted action set piece, it’s actually just a mission in a world that you can approach however you want. Stealth is an option for example, using melee weapons or silencers to dispatch enemies without calling in the horde
http://www.gamesradar.com/days-gone...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I guess you get no reward for the bounty if he dies.

SMG

Yeah... i specifically loved how they looked like they were pouring out of the train and around corners and moving like water.

qjLLmtO.gif

I remember when I first played FF9 and I would count the number of characters on screen and be impressed when it was above eight.

I guess we have to see in the final game.

Also they move so quickly maybe it would be a waste of detail. Like you said its a wait and see thing.

Loudninja

I remember when I first played FF9 and I would count the number of characters on screen and be impressed when it was above eight.

Also they move so quickly maybe it would be a waste of detail. Like you said its a wait and see thing.
Yeah maybe with a shotgunmor maybe upgrades make it easier.

Or one of those air bag bombs you can make in this game. :0

MaxHouse

Banned
Days Gone has the most eye-rolling character type. I have really low expectations of the game after seeing the game feature White American Dude with Traumatic Past (lost his wife) for the millionth time

:lol

Seriously..I understand that most games feature white male protagonists and many people often want to see diversity, as do I

but this is such a terrible and reductionist way of looking at a game character....do you just literally see any protagonist and reduce him to a "white male" with not understanding his character, his personality, his motivations?..like thats a awful way to look at the world

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its pretty mucht Last of Us 2 with hordes

Aside from the open world, vehicles, quests, real time weather and a day night cycle and an inhuman enemy that plays totally different than the clickers. Yeah pretty much the same thing.

I can't get excited for this. I really can't. It just looks bland :( A shame, it could have been PlayStations answer to Dead Rising. Hell it still can maybe? I don't think it'll hit 2017 at all more like late 2018.

I fear theres gonna be a huge delay for this. I reckon they'll take it back to the drawing board tbh.

CrayToes

I remember when we first heard the name Dead Don't Ride, I had this vision of a wacky open-world game similar to Mad Max that's all about fighting gangs and wrecking zombie ass with tricked out vehicles.

This is exactly what I was hoping for, too. It seems to me like Sony Bend knew that Sony would get behind them in a big way if they wanted to go the TLOU route instead of maybe trying something a bit more different.

Inuteu

Aside from the open world, vehicles, quests, real time weather and a day night cycle and an inhuman enemy that plays totally different than the clickers. Yeah pretty much the same thing.

The premise is pretty much the same, technical and gameplay details apart.

If in the end of this trailer the biker found Ellie and Joe, everybody would be in the hype train right now.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The premise is pretty much the same, technical and gameplay details apart.

If in the end of this trailer the biker found Ellie and Joe, everybody would be in the hype train right now.

So it isn't anything like the Last of Us outside of the premise? Gotcha. Its not like the premise of the Last of Us was some revolutionary and ground breaking never before seen story.

Top Bottom