• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone (PS4): The Origin of an Antihero

Nothing Sony has shown thus far makes this game sound appealing.

Looks like a generic run n' gun a la The Order, but at least that had an interesting setting.

And I'd be more excited about the unseen open world aspect if it actually seemed to have any gameplay implications minus the day/night cycle's impact on zombie behavior.

I'm seriously missing a raison d'être, and this game makes me worried about Bend's future.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
yeah should be a black woman

You might be joking but I'd totally fine if she was black. As I said I like diversity, I don't see many black leading ladies so I'd be totally down for that. Not many interracial relationships as it is!

Games looks kind of interesting but I'm good on zombies for a few years, I think. Maybe there's something they haven't shown yet that will make it more interesting.

"I have a dream that one day people will be judged by their character rather than the color of their skin."

*Reads thread*

.... oh

this is pretty rich coming from you, I have to say

Lime

"I have a dream that one day people will be judged by their character rather than the color of their skin."

*Reads thread*

.... oh

Too bad that's not what's going on in today's world where characters get explicitly or implicitly excluded from the game because of their gender/race/sexuality/ethnicity.

NYR94

The trailer didn't hook me and I'm not a big zombie (or whatever you want to call them) fan. Hopefully there's more to the game than what they've shown so far. I guess the biker aspect is cool.

Aikidoka

Flips and tricks would be great, especially if they were easy to perform and there was a reward for doing it.

I believe one of the devs said that you may need to make some jumps to get to an area, assuming you want to reach it.

The demo of this game and the trailer I think were chosen pretty poorly. Pretty much every aspect of the game that sounds like a unique take on the zombie apocalypse, I have learned about via developer interviews. Hopefully the next time they show this game, it's to show off the fact that the freakers are actually living and that the world is dangerous rather than just giving lip service to these things. Though, it may be that the game is too far off with an optimistic 2018 release date, and they simply have nothing to show for it.

*Reads thread*

.... oh
ah yes, the typical quote MLK to maintain the racist status quo fuckery.

hemo memo

Gold Member
It's a spinn-off title P.T style and the full name gets revealed after the twist appearance of
young Ellie
by the end of the game.

Days Gone>
>
The Last of Us : Days Gone

s7.gif

mujun

I love open world games. Zombies, too.

Fast zombies in giant hordes doesn't seem like fun at all. Why is there any point in shooting the horde? How can you have enough ammo or stop enough to not get eaten?

Fast zombies in giant hordes doesn't seem like fun at all. Why is there any point in shooting the horde? How can you have enough ammo or stop enough to not get eaten?
The point isn't to shoot them, you have to run, the use of the gun is slow them down a little by shooting exploding barrels and what not.

Loudninja

That danger will be something you can build up to, with Roth observing that, at the start of the game, the player will be in no state to handle the hordes seen so far (“that will happen later in the game where you are equipped enough to deal with them”). The open world also means you can avoid conflicts if you want. “If you went to the saw mill and you didn’t want to deal with the swarm, you’re fine. You can go somewhere and deal [with things] the way you want,” says Roth.

Fortunately you won’t have to worry about thousand strong crowds at every turn. In my demo an alternate route showed off some smaller encounters, fighting off a few Freakers at a time in side a building. “There’s going to be different sizes of horde; you’ll come across varying ranges of numbers,” confirms Pape.
http://www.gamesradar.com/sony-expl...eyre-alive-have-needs-and-behave-differently/

Tonky

Just a small gripe - I hope game developers stop using the voice actor's/actress's likeness for their corresponding character. I keep seeing Starkiller when I watch the trailer/gameplay video.

Tosyn_88

Zombie apocalypse only happen in the USA apparently. One would think that with the amount of places which exist in the world and the amount of subtle cultures around the world to pick from, the developers should take from those and make new characters that's increasing. Here's the funny thing, these locations aren't really expensive to reach

Loudninja

Zombie apocalypse only happen in the USA apparently. One would think that with the amount of places which exist in the world and the amount of subtle cultures around the world to pick from, the developers should take from those and make new characters that's increasing. Here's the funny thing, these locations aren't really expensive to reach
They picked it for a reason

“You can go anywhere,” says Pape. “There’ll be waypoint on the map you can set, you can set your own waypoints, you can fast travel for some of the areas because it is such an expansive map”. And, while the demo showed a forrest location Pape says the north west American setting has been chosen specifically for the extreme environments it can provide. “You’ve for the mountains, snow, hail, rain wind, high dessert. City wise you’ll encounter abandoned suburbs, towns, it’s not just going to be in the woods”.
http://www.gamesradar.com/days-gone...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I kind of have a thing for zombie games, so unless it's a burning pile of tires I expect to play it eventually.

The locations we've seen and the MC all feel familiar in an unexciting way

From a gameplay perspective, dealing with mobs of that size could be a lot of fun, though. The possibilities interest me

Just a quick reminder of the games that died so that open-world zombie TPS could live:

Former Sony Bend employee said:
We did a couple new IP pitches. One was steampunk but that didn’t make it very far. There was a really awesome futuristic sci if one that I really liked. We had an amazing future scifi city and a character that could run around and scale buildings with these jet boots, and it was awesome. We had a lot of assets done for that demo when it was canned. I was really bummed when that one got binned.

I recall that Studio Liverpool was also working on a futuristic sci-fi game. Stig's project was also futuristic sci-fi.

Quantic Dream better be careful :p

Alo0oy

Banned
I'm not going to write the game off, but Bend need to show me a lot more to impress me. The only thing interesting in the game seems to be the biker stuff, and that bike needs to be a lot more than a transportation device and a storage box to impress me.

dmshaposv

Id like if they can really do something more with the biker gang culture thing and zombie horde.

Those are the only two things at the moment that make it slightly different than Tha Last of Us.

The 'birth of an antihero' article is literally describing Joel from TLOU, so Im a bit worried they still dont get what will make their game stand apart...

Gold_Loot

Too bad that's not what's going on in today's world where characters get explicitly or implicitly excluded from the game because of their gender/race/sexuality/ethnicity.
It's not what's going on in this thread either. *Shrug*

Id like if they can really do something more with the biker gang culture thing and zombie horde.

Those are the only two things at the moment that make it slightly different than Tha Last of Us.

The 'birth of an antihero' article is literally describing Joel from TLOU, so Im a bit worried they still dont get what will make their game stand apart...

It being open world sets it apart from Last of Us by a large margin.

There are things you just can't do through linear storytelling. The fact you can lead a horde of zombies to a enemy camp makes it in my opinion stand apart from Last of Us. It shows how really dynamic the world is.

bunkitz

Did they ever say if this was going to be a "survival game?" I mean in that we would have to scavenge for resources like in The Last of Us, and save bullets, etc. I'm just curious because they said that we'll eventually be equipped to handle hordes like that. That makes me think we'll get very powerful weapons and the like, which would be pretty cool.

I don't know if I'd want a rocket launcher...

Loudninja

Did they ever say if this was going to be a "survival game?" I mean in that we would have to scavenge for resources like in The Last of Us, and save bullets, etc. I'm just curious because they said that we'll eventually be equipped to handle hordes like that. That makes me think we'll get very powerful weapons and the like, which would be pretty cool.

Nope.

However, senior artist Brain Pape is quick to dispel that comparison. “I think this is on the opposite end of the spectrum. It’s more over the top, its more extreme,” he explains. “The sheer number [of enemies] we have shows that. In The Last of Us you’d come across one or two at a time and make your way between them. This is more of a run and gun style, over the top extreme action”.
http://www.gamesradar.com/days-gone...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

TheBear

How is this different to TLOU?

Honest question

Edit answered above. Weird that a Sony studio is making a game so thematically close to one of their established franchises. Also weird that God of War is going in a similar direction also.

Saving bullets is the last thing I consider to happen if E3 demo is what we play in final build.

I can't think of many games that are set in the Oregon/North western portion of the US, I also can't recall meeting any "Rednecks" the few times I've visited Oregon.
But they're bikers, obviously they're rednecks and douchebags.

Seriously, the amount of preconceived bias in here is alarming. People (game characters) getting shat on simply for their dress or the way they look. Wouldn't be surprised to see someone saying he looks like a terrorist next because he has a beard.

Making the main character a biker instantly drops my interest level. I can't think of any culture I'd be less interested in exploring. Oh, is he rough and tough but he'd go to war for his brothers because they're his only real family? *dismissive wank hand gesture*

Ran rp

I'm not seeing anything over the top about the game. It just has a high zombie count. The tools available are run-of-the-mill. Your standard guns... explosive barrels... molotovs. It looks like it plays like any generic zombie game.

ReaperXL7

Making the main character a biker instantly drops my interest level. I can't think of any culture I'd be less interested in exploring. Oh, is he rough and tough but he'd go to war for his brothers because they're his only real family? *dismissive wank hand gesture*

12143242_1092919417426856_2472906302322094883_n.jpg

174b1dc558eab571cc947ea092394281.jpg

Bet these guys are some real scum bags...

to be fair:

He looks like an average guy wearing biker clothes much of which is often designed for safety while riding , and the girl definitely doesn't look like a redneck.

Loudninja

How is this different to TLOU?

Honest question

Edit answered above. Weird that a Sony studio is making a game so thematically close to one of their established franchises. Also weird that God of War is going in a similar direction also.
Its not really close though as I just pointed out.

The PS4 does not have an exclusive have an open world zombie game.

I mean, I'm all for more minority representation in games (especially since my ethnicity is barely represented except maybe as terrorist bad guys) but I don't really see a big issue with this. Sure, he's white but he seems to be representing a fairly interesting culture and one isn't really represented in gaming, especially from this point of view.

I'll take a white guy with character over a generic black guy (aka BF1) or character creator any day tbh.

Of course, something like Mafia 3 is the best case scenario for that sort of representation but I'm not going to hold that against Days Gone when it's really more of an industry wide thing.

dyergram

I enjoyed the last of us to an extent and I respect what it did artistically. I'm reluctant to return to it because it's so bloody grim. I think having the bike and being able to explore could be a lot more fun and action based. Also it looked like your encouraged to shoot stuff rather than throw bricks sneak around and shoot like 20 bullets in the entire game. I was thinking though perhaps somebody from a bike club may have a less clean cut wifey like they should of made her more trashy :)

My biggest issue with the demo is that the gun didn't sound/feel satisfying.

Rule nr.1: if you gon demo a zombie game do it with a shotgun.

Mezoly

Nothing Sony has shown thus far makes this game sound appealing.

Looks like a generic run n' gun a la The Order, but at least that had an interesting setting.

And I'd be more excited about the unseen open world aspect if it actually seemed to have any gameplay implications minus the day/night cycle's impact on zombie behavior.

I'm seriously missing a raison d'être, and this game makes me worried about Bend's future.

Zombie & open world games sell really well.

I'd love to play this game right now, like I'm in the mood for it for some reason. Looks fun, can't wait to see what the open world aspect means for supplies and scavenging. Man night time is going to be nuts.

Its kinda Left 4 Dead-y but with a better perspective, an actual story and open world/day night cycle.

I am weary of the heart of gold anti-hero angle.

Give me a "normal" person who has to adapt to the chaos and lack of morality in a zombie-pocalypse.

I'm clearly missing something here because what was shown at E3...I'm just not understanding the hype around this. I'm still sorta shocked that Sony closed their conference with it.

Give me a "normal" person who has to adapt to the chaos and lack of morality in a zombie-pocalypse.

I'm clearly missing something here because what was shown at E3...I'm just not understanding the hype around this. I'm still sorta shocked that Sony closed their conference with it.

We literally got a World War Z videogame.

There hasn't been a videogame that has showcased a horde of zombies coming after you while jumping on each other heavily like WWZ. Dead Rising has a bunch of zombies but they don't run at you ferociously.

Edit: There was a gif earlier that showed what I was talking about.

They closed their last event with a CG trailer of Paragon. Huge step up it seems to me!

But they're bikers, obviously they're rednecks and douchebags.

Seriously, the amount of preconceived bias in here is alarming. People (game characters) getting shat on simply for their dress or the way they look. Wouldn't be surprised to see someone saying he looks like a terrorist next because he has a beard.

I wish you could be around more often. Your brand of level-headed enthusiasm for gaming in general is sorely needed. Agenda and jade is all too prevalent nowadays.

Its not enough to enjoy games anymore, but the need to justify characters and the motivations behind them have gotten ridiculous lately. This character is borne out of the experience the developers have as bikers themselves. I don't have any knowledge of what it is to be a biker, and I wouldn't mind the experience.

and a white dude with a beard.

Edit: I will say that his design is pretty generic. Would have been cool to see a black motorcycle gang leader or something.

Don't get me wrong: As a black male, I want more black leads, but I do not want them shoe-horned in. Mafia III is taking a great approach as far as I can tell; you aren't just a character with a shade change, you are treated as a black male would be treated in the mid-1900's. I want developers to feel comfortable implementing non-white characters, because you wind up learning something about the culture and the social stigma(s) associated with it. Turning Deacon into a Black man becomes a bullet point instead of strong portrayal of (for many) another race.

We absolutely need a Michael B. Jordan in games (Not looking for 'black' roles, but good roles to play), but not in all games and not at the expense of making complete characters.

You might be joking but I'd totally fine if she was black. As I said I like diversity, I don't see many black leading ladies so I'd be totally down for that. Not many interracial relationships as it is!
I want to see more of this, as well. Art imitating life.

Top Bottom