• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ Early Access Thread - We dont go to Stary Sobor

Overdoziz

Banned
so i've been watching some streams of this because I find them really fascinating, and I noticed that people do what is referred to as "combat logging" where they just exit the game before you can kill them. Doesnt this kind of ruin the game? Is there something planned to prevent this?
Yes.

Grief.exe

so i've been watching some streams of this because I find them really fascinating, and I noticed that people do what is referred to as "combat logging" where they just exit the game before you can kill them. Doesnt this kind of ruin the game? Is there something planned to prevent this?

They have something planned to implement this, but they have it turned off currently to save on server strain.

J.W.Crazy

Had a mostly uneventful time tonight until my group of three stopped at a church in Novy while I checked the in game map to plot our next move. As we were leaving I spotted someone running alongside us. He said he was friendly and didn't have a weapon so we let him go ahead. Then another guy comes along. Then another. My brother starts talking with them, the lead guys says his group is freaking out but they seem friendly so we ask if they have saline they're willing to trade. They want to meet up in the church. Turns out there's six of them. After feeling each other out for a few minutes we decide to go together to the nearby military base. Things are getting good. Nine guys running full speed down the road, most of us armed to the teeth, what could go wrong? CRASH.

I got teleported to the middle of a road somewhere. The camera was spinning and nothing was responding. Couldn't even exit. Had to ALT-TAB out. Oh well. At least they didn't kill us.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Just axe murdered 2 geared dudes and their 3-4 naked friends in Elektro. lol.

I thought one was dead, then he punched me to death.

GruntosUK

I deleted the game, redownloaded it (thanks to 100Mbits) and I am fully equipped again. First time I use the Mosin, awesome gun! Killed a guy with 1 shot while he was running :D

P.s. Yes, I am not angry anymore ^^

Amazing, you are so awesome. That anger you felt when you lost a character, probably experienced by every player you kill for nothing.

Randam

They have something planned to implement this, but they have it turned off currently to save on server strain.

they had something to prevent combat logging and server hopping in the mod already, am i right?

I got teleported to the middle of a rode somewhere. The camera was spinning and nothing was responding. Couldn't even exit. Had to ALT-TAB out. Oh well. At least they didn't kill us.

same thing happend to me over and over again yesterday..

What I don't get is those who kill freshly respawned players. You're fully geared up, are you really terrified that I would jump on your back with these fists to the back of your head?

"DON'T MOVE!" he says, with his little buddy, which both are aiming at me, "ON THE GROUND AND DONT YOU MOVE" with his little faint voice who sounds way too serious in front of a guy who has absolutely nothing except a flashlight and the default shirt and pants he respawned with. Moments later, I'm on my knees with my hands on top of my head surrendering to him and his buddy fully geared up, He repeats himself telling me to get on the ground, in which I reply to him that my keyboard key doesn't work (most likely because I was already on my knees and that I had surrendered, when I think back on it). "I'm mashing the key on my keyboard right now, I bet you can even hear it from my microphone, it just doesn't seem to want to do it" I reply to him.

Bam, he shoots me in the head.

What the fuck? Role playing as a asshole. Well done.

Randam

What I don't get is those who kill freshly respawned players. You're fully geared up, are you really terrified that I would jump on your back with these fists to the back of your head?

2 days ago i spawned near the SW airfield.
made my way there, when I was suddenly surpriesed by 3 zombies.
didnt even have an axe.
so I ran away.
suddenly a guy with a m4 comes out of one of the buildings. I ran past him, zombies at my back.

and now guess who he shot at.

right. me.

he ran in front of the zombies and shot me in the back.

I felt absolutely terrible last night. I was geared up (3-4 day old char) walking through Kozlovka hoping to use the well, I noticed a zombie agro something on the other side of the village and took cover behind a small fence.

A couple of fully geared chaps were making their way through the village, I noticed they were coming my way, and I had no where to go. As they came to the fence I popped round, gun raised, and said "Stay where you are, I'm just leaving" - one stopped, the other started running off to the side - I shot him, his friend tried to draw his weapon so I shot him too.

I went to the well to refill, as I returned to the corpses there was a newish looking character picking through their corpses, I felt bad because I thought maybe the other guys would come back for their gear so I went to tell him to leave the bodies, as I approached he pulled a gun from one of the bodies, wasn't sure if he had noticed me but I dropped him none the less.

Logged off feeling like a terrible person. I love this game.

I watched this yesterday, but forget to post it here - Lirik@TwitchTV - Life and Dead

I spat my cookies all over the place while having tears in my eyes. Sit and watch, if you want.
Can't wait to play again today!
Oh man, those videos are HILARIOUS. XD I was in tears watching those. I probably wouldn't even be able to play with these guys, I'd be laughing my ass off waaay too much.

didnt even have an axe.
so I ran away.
suddenly a guy with a m4 comes out of one of the buildings. I ran past him, zombies at my back.

right. me.

Yeah I feel you. lol You can just feel the anger deep down of some of these guys. XD Or maybe they are just really into their role of being douchebags. I don't know.

J-Rock

Banned

Yes. I, and plenty of people I play with, have knocked out fully geared players with fists and taken their stuff. It's not that hard. Smart unarmed players can be very dangerous.

Faith

Yes. I, and plenty of people I play with, have knocked out fully geared players with fists and taken their stuff. It's not that hard. Smart unarmed players can be very dangerous.
I saw a video where one guy without anything managed to knock out 2 of 4 guys and everyone had a M4.

Irish

You can knock a dude unconscious with a single solid hit to the head using only your fists. Once they go down you can nab their weapon and kill them outright.

What's the point of the carry handle?

ibg8hOFaIIDUSK.png

Cause you get a way clearer view if you just remove it:

iA4wEpmRS7Z9z.png

Grief.exe

So in the game it's pointless? Just gonna throw it away then :p

Edit: Maybe you need it to attatch scopes and whatnot?

You actually have to remove it to add scopes anyway.

Scopes attach to the rail system, the ridges, you see running across the top of the gun in the picture.

So what medial items are a must right now?

I have so many but I'm not sure if they have uses yet.

Blood Bag
Saline - I know these are used
IV - I know these are used
Epi Pen
Vitamins
Anti Biotics
Morphine
Bandages - I know these are used

"DON'T MOVE!" he says, with his little buddy, which both are aiming at me, "ON THE GROUND AND DONT YOU MOVE" with his little faint voice who sounds way too serious in front of a guy who has absolutely nothing except a flashlight and the default shirt and pants he respawned with. Moments later, I'm on my knees with my hands on top of my head surrendering to him and his buddy fully geared up, He repeats himself telling me to get on the ground, in which I reply to him that my keyboard key doesn't work (most likely because I was already on my knees and that I had surrendered, when I think back on it). "I'm mashing the key on my keyboard right now, I bet you can even hear it from my microphone, it just doesn't seem to want to do it" I reply to him.

Bam, he shoots me in the head.

What the fuck? Role playing as a asshole. Well done.

didnt even have an axe.
so I ran away.

right. me.

Honestly, this is half the reason I don't bother with it. I like the idea of people playing whichever way they want, but the only time I've ever come across people who didn't instantly have a go was when myself and a friend were fairly tooled up and the people we crossed were alone and didn't stand much of a chance.

Once had a new spawnee like myself start a fist fight only for me to win, what's the point? And on too many occasions have myself, or my friend been killed only to have the guy not even tale our stuff, just killed us for the hell of it.

When I cross people I try and help out and even give new guys some gear, but most are so shit scared of you, presumably because of how 90% of interactions in the game go, that they just split. Shame, cause I'm quite happy to help out.

Fistwell

When I cross people I try and help out and even give new guys some gear, but most are so shit scared of you, presumably because of how 90% of interactions in the game go, that they just split. Shame, cause I'm quite happy to help out.
Some dude got the drop on me in the military base south of the NW airport, he seemed friendly and offered to partner up and such. I was so spooked though, having been shot up the ass so many fucking times, stabbed, axed, what have you, I just fucking tailed it like a weasel.

Randam

same here.

yesterday a meet 2 other players.
one of them didnt have anything yet. I only had a bat.
the 3rd guy had a mosin but only a couple of bullets.
so we ran to an factory and got on the roof.

suddenly i got shot by a guy from the other roof.
he had nothing but a pistol.

the guy with the mosin killed him.

then I shared items with them. i had 3 medipacks, so i gave each of them one.
i had a spare tacticle west and gave it to the one guy, who didnt have one.
found 2 pistols, so i gave one away too.
then i opened two cans for one of them, because he didnt have a canopener.

unfortunately, as we wanted to move on, i fell off the roof and died. :D

later i dropped a canteen for a guy i meet in the middle of nowhere.
and gave some guy a pack of bandages from my medikit.

I'll let you in on a secret, that will be patched out in the future. Bring up your fists and hold down LMB or whatever you have your fire button attached too. Now keep holding LMB and double tap forward. You are know a sprinting punching machine, for added deadliness pick up an axe. You are now to be feared by anyone.

Honestly, this is half the reason I don't bother with it. I like the idea of people playing whichever way they want, but the only time I've ever come across people who didn't instantly have a go was when myself and a friend were fairly tooled up and the people we crossed were alone and didn't stand much of a chance.

Once had a new spawnee like myself start a fist fight only for me to win, what's the point? And on too many occasions have myself, or my friend been killed only to have the guy not even tale our stuff, just killed us for the hell of it.

What do you expect when there's nothing else to do in the game?

The sum of the game at this stage is to kill people. It's deathmatch on a drawn-out, slow-paced scale. All the survival elements and zombies and looting is just the preamble that gives more weight to each punctuated encounter.

This isn't a bad thing. Without people killing each other on sight this would be an extremely boring experience.

Randam

so. deleted the game.

35 hours played, from which 34 were walking around getting stuff, just so you can get killed from someone you didnt even see..

Grief.exe

so. deleted the game and posted a request in the trading thread.

35 hours played, from which 34 were walking around getting stuff, just so you can get killed from someone you didnt even see..

Couple questions
How can you trade the game if it is already attached to your account?
Did you not know what the game is when you bought it?
Do you understand what an Early Access game is?
Do you realize there are other ways to play the game other than 'walking around?'

DSmalls84

so. deleted the game and posted a request in the trading thread.

I followed the mod thread for a while and thought it sounded great but I don't think this game is for me. The controls were more complicated than I expected, it doesn't run great on my rig, and the game in general just seems really janky. I tried to fight a zombie and it took forever to kill with a crowbar, and then I was injured but didn't even realize it hit me. I realize it's an Alpha but I guess I expected a little more polish. I might reinstall it in the future to see how it improves, but my first impressions weren't great.

A friend and I tried playing last night, trying to infiltrate that airbase in the north. I had to bail because my connection was giving me issues, so he hopped on a server with 3 other people in order to grab some quick loot for us then log off.

One of those 3 people found and killed him. Classic.

Ketch

Couple questions
Do you realize there are other ways to play the game other than 'walking around?'

I wonder if he'll answer these questions.
im betting no

Randam

Couple questions

yeah, i got that wrong.
i thought i heard about trading games, so i googled it and got a lot of results.
even links to videos on how to trade games.
then i googled "steam trading neogaf" on found this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465398
and all those people offering games, so i thought that where normal games, they played before and wanted to trade now.

seems like that wasnt it.
to be honest, i still dont know what games you can trade and how. :D

and i knew what this games was.
but i didnt know, that you are almost forced to play in a group.
so you have some one watching the surroundings, when you are looting a building etc.

i know what early access is.
my problem doesnt have anything to do with it.

and what are these outher ways to play this game?
i need stuff. especially guns and military equipment and you get those only at a few specific buildings.
and these buildings are all pretty far away from where you spawn.
and after you spawn

Fistwell

so you have some one watching the surroundings, when you are looting a building etc.
Na, you don't absolutely have to play in a group. You do want to be more cautious on your own though, obviously. But you can still do pretty well for yourself on your own.

Animator

Yesterday four of us were in the northeast airfield and suddenly we hear a gunshot and one of our teammates said he got shot (didnt die) we holed up in two buildings and covered every entrace for a couple minutes then we methodically scanned the area with everyone covering each others backs. Didn't find the guy but it was an intense hour of gameplay.

Encounters in this game are incredible and tense. I can't wait to see where it goes as it gets more polished.

Randam

Na, you don't absolutely have to play in a group. You do want to be more cautious on your own though, obviously. But you can still do pretty well for yourself on your own.

yeah, i could hide in a house deep in the woods, but that would be even more boring.

Ketch

to be honest, i still dont know what games you can trade and how. :D

i know what early access is.
my problem doesnt have anything to do with it.

and what are these outher ways to play this game?
i need stuff. especially guns and military equipment and you get those only at a few specific buildings.
and these buildings are all pretty far away from where you spawn.
and after you spawn

I stand corrected.
To answer your questions: if you buy a game in steam and choose the "this is a gift" option at check out you'll get the option to claim a tradable version if the game, which shows up in your steam inventory.

Concerning day z, the best advice for a new player is to get off the coast ASAP. Seriously, don't even worry about looting the houses near your spawn unless they are directly on your way out of town and still make it quick.

You don't really need military equipment that badly. The only things you really need to survive are a some brown/green clothes a backpack, a good axe, medical supplies a water pump and some food.

Guns are cool and good for shooting people, but being fully loaded with military gear just makes you a bigger target for KOS.

Top Bottom